• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Board's Question & Answer Thread.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Aerial Flame Choke does more damage than regular Flame Choke, so for the purpose of just techchasing, it's great.

And what I was saying is that Ganon's grounded wizkick actually travels over Olimar's grab when timed correctly. You do understand that some characters can actually duck under Ganon's grounded wizkick right?

Noobicidal

Smash Master
It looks like the rear hitbox of dtilt was applied against you when it and the opponent's dair collided.

For what reason, I have no idea.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I have 1 week to learn Ganondorf to use him in a Ganondorf-only tournament.

Keeping in mind that:
1. This is a metagame with only Ganondorf
2. The rules:

General Rules

• GANONDORF ONLY
• 3 Stock
• 4 minute timer
• Items are set to "off" and "none"
• All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any finals matches)
• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
• If a game ends with Ganondorf performing a flame choke (forward B) off the stage, grabbing his opponent and both players losing their last stock, Ganondorf wins. Even if it results as a win for his opponent or ends in sudden death.
• In doubles, life stealing is allowed and team attack is on.

Stage List

There are 8 stages and each match a stage is selected at random. No starters, no counter-picking, no banning. Since everyone is playing as Ganondorf, stage selection provides no advantage or disadvantage to any player.

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Norfair
Luigis Mansion
Pirate Ship
Bridge of Eldin
Hyrule Temple
&
3. I'll be fairly intoxicated.

I need to theory-up quickly.

TP

Smash Master
You have NOTHING guaranteed out of choke. Just try to predict what they will do, or better yet don't choke at all. Your best approach is to run at them and SH Uair, but you shouldn't be approaching at all if you can avoid it. Never Dsmash.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, if you'll be intoxicated anyway...

Spam Warlock punch. Choke to WP is a guaranteed combo.
Murder Quake is your only other option.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
• If a game ends with Ganondorf performing a flame choke (forward B) off the stage, grabbing his opponent and both players losing their last stock, Ganondorf wins
That makes sense.

Jokes aside, learn to abuse uair and dtilt as your primary spacing moves. Fair doesn't auto cancel, so be wary of that.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Can you murder quake after a choke? Would that even work? I never tried it because it sounds stupid. I wish he didn't have such terrible lag on everything.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Hey guys I'm looking for a new main and I'm really considering Gdorf but first I have a ton of questions-

How do you approach projectile campers? Particularly Oli and Falco.
Sadly, running in and shielding is pretty much all Ganon can do against these characters. If you can overtake the projectile with priority, you can surprise your opponent by barreling through the projectile and hitting the opponent with your attack (Dash attack, Ftilt and Fair do wonders against projectiles)

Should Gdorf ever spotdodge/rolldodge/airdodge?
Rolling away is actually a very good option to use if your opponent is trying to cross you up or get inside from the air. Airdodge also has its purposes, but remember that your opponent can easily bait an airdodge and then punish you for airdodging. If you're being juggled, Nair is a good option to prevent your opponent from incurring too much damage. Essentially, Airdodge and Rolling have their purposes, but don't be predictable with them, that's more important than anything.

What should I start practicing? (Without anyone else, ie. training mode against a cpu).
Timing, buffering, movement. You need to be as fluid as possible when using Ganondorf and you can't waste any frames. You want to be able to buffer Ganondorf's moves into each other without any wasted movement.

What is the best control scheme for Gdorf? TJ on or off? I don't really want people to say it's personal preference, it's gonna be ages before I take Gdorf to a tourney so I've got plenty of time to adjust lol.
Tap Jump definately ON! It's incredibly useful for using aerials with more maneuverability, such as SH B-air, FH U-air, and, of course, SH D-airs. Definately keep this on.

Is there also different button configurations that are of use (eg. R to jump)?
I set L to jump because I always use R to shield and I figured having L to jump would benefit jumping out of shield easier. I also set X to attack so I can perform walk-off D-airs without fastfalling and killing myself. These are very specific configurations, though, you'll be fine with the traditional set-up.

Which is better, t-sticking or c-sticking? T-sticking gives you reverse jab, dtilt and utilt (not that you'd wanna do that), whilst retaining iDA and aerials. So is t-sticking better or does c-sticking have some invaluable applications?
C-sticking. You never want to accidentally buffer an U-tilt out of something. You'll be able to reverse your moves fine with proper timinig and buffering.

Thanks in advance.
Also, @Vyse, if you're over 42% in damage, you can run into Ganondorf's up-B grab when he's trying to recover, wait for the grab animation to end, and then punish Ganondorf for landing up-B with an Uair (yeah, Ganon gets punished for landing a move). Tremendously easy gimps if you can pull off the timing consistently.

Divilenta

Smash Journeyman
How do you improve your gameplay as a Ganondorf when your only opponents are CPUs and you fail at learning other characters?

M.O.T.H

Smash Cadet
Hanzhou if this is true then i really want to learn it lol.

Oh and Divilenta i have the same problem, well i also have my brother to practice against and he is way better than lv.9 CPU.

But what you could do is if lv.9 is way to easy for you then maybe try 2 lv.9 cpu instead of just 1. Then work your way up to 3 lv.9 cpu.

Hope this helps

Divilenta

Smash Journeyman
Hanzhou if this is true then i really want to learn it lol.

Oh and Divilenta i have the same problem, well i also have my brother to practice against and he is way better than lv.9 CPU.

But what you could do is if lv.9 is way to easy for you then maybe try 2 lv.9 cpu instead of just 1. Then work your way up to 3 lv.9 cpu.

Hope this helps
The problem with Lv. 9 CPUs is that they have faster reaction times than human players, and thus strategizing against them makes it harder to beat human players. I can easily trash one Lv. 9 CPU...I don't understand how being able to take on 2 or 3 would help, since competitive play (excluding doubles) is focused on damaging one opponent.

M.O.T.H

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone.

Ive been trying to figure out who i want my alt to be a for a long time and i really just cant make up my mind. I know this sounds stupid but i honestly like haveing a crappy character and mastering that character and leaveing people speechless lol.

I love to have F-G characters because of course there the most underused. I mean i guess the tier doesnt matter but i do like to use characters that you dont see everyday like jigglypuff.

So in all honestly i dont really care for counterpick characters anymore, i just want an alt to play with.

I know this decision is all up to me but all my life i have had a hard time of making up my own mind (i really do think i have a problem) so i need you guys to help me. Now i do have 1 more question... is jigglypuff as good as she was in melee? Reason im asking is because of mango, i mean he won tournaments and beat m2k with a freaking jigglypuff lol. So i just wanted to see if she was still as good in brawl as melee. If she is nerfed i might still use her because that just means more difficulty for me which i love

As you can see i love the near hopeless feeling when i play this game and that is 1 reason i chose ganondorf and now im just looking for a alt.

Oh and real quick may i ask.. should i have 3 characters? As i said b4, i have a hard time of making up my mind so i think 3 characters would help my variety out a bit.

If im going to have 2-3 characters then dont suggest me alting link because he is way to hard to learn when switching through characters.

Thanks for your time and i hope to hear from some of you soon =D

TP

Smash Master
Jiggs is top tier in Melee, probably number 1 but maybe behind Fox. The official Melee tier list is several years outdated. Jiggs is so much worse now because rest used to kill at about 10% and it was incredibly easy to combo into.

M.O.T.H

Smash Cadet
Oh ok, thats probably why i keep loseing with puff now lol. I use to be good with her and now that i think about it, it might have been because of the rest lol

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
i found a vid of ganon doing FoG , air dodging on the way down and using it again, i think i heard somewhere that there hasnt been any vids yet so heres one, sorry if im mistaken or if i put this in the wrong thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZla4UfML_U&feature=related

edit: now that i think about it im almost completely sure some1 posted a vid of it b4, but at least theres another one

TP

Smash Master
i found a vid of ganon doing FoG , air dodging on the way down and using it again, i think i heard somewhere that there hasnt been any vids yet so heres one, sorry if im mistaken or if i put this in the wrong thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZla4UfML_U&feature=related

edit: now that i think about it im almost completely sure some1 posted a vid of it b4, but at least theres another one
I never posted a vid, but on the day the FoG thread was made I posted info about this and about timing an air dodge from a ledge jump. I can FoG from one end of Wifi Waiting Room to the other. I wouldn't be nearly as good at FoG as I am if online had faster loading times.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
^^^^

Are you for real right now? FoG is amazing and anybody who doesn't use it isn't a real man. It's not only the best taunt in the game, but it actually helps Ganon when it comes to chasing people who like recovering high or was sent high by Ganon's powerful attacks. FoG is too legit.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I can't get the airdodge timing one down. If somehow I could I am sure I could nail it consistently--I really liked that video showing it out of his aerials. That's really freaking useful. Too bad no one utilizes it. High up murder chokes and what not.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey could someone help me out with my mains? Ive been trying to pick out my mains for over a month now and i just cant seem to find 2 mains that i like and that can win tournaments.

I want characters that are in both melee and brawl. I would also kinda want the characters to battle the same way that way it would be much easier for me. Here are some characters i have thought of but if you can think of any better mains please tell me. (I like characters that can combo a lot)

Link+Young/Toon link
Ganondorf+C.Falcon
Fox+Falco
Mario+Luigi

I honestly think out of them that Fox+Falco is my best option but idc anymore if there high tier or not. I just want characters that are fun to play as and fun to master.

I know a lot of you are thinking (just pick your own mains and use whoever you like) but i would like yal to just help me choose please.

Thanks ;)

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
If ya like comboing don't go Ganon lol.
Fox + Falco is your best overall option then, and Luigi is the best combo character out of these.

Top Bottom