• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf's Up+B is terrible

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Unplug your opponent's controller.
:034:
"That's against the rules, isn't it?"
Moto

Seriously though; does the Tournament Ruleset say you're not allowed to do that?
Or is it just a unwritten rule?

I don't think it is against the rules to unplug your own controller though.
Maybe we can mindgame our opponents into unplugging their own?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
He shoots lightning out of his manhood... and that's pretty cool.
Ok, we got cool factor, anything else.

*more crickets*

Unfortunately, that's all Ganondorf as a character seems to have.

"That's against the rules, isn't it?"
Moto

Seriously though; does the Tournament Ruleset say you're not allowed to do that?
Or is it just a unwritten rule?

I don't think it is against the rules to unplug your own controller though.
Maybe we can mindgame our opponents into unplugging their own?
Unwritten in the sense that it's a universally assumed rule in gaming, no direct out of game interference, eitherwise all video game tournaments would degenerate into wars.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Unwritten in the sense that it's a universally assumed rule in gaming, no direct out of game interference, eitherwise all video game tournaments would degenerate into wars.
But wouldnt that be MUCH more fun?? SURVIVAL OF THE FITEST!!

TP

Smash Master
Yeah. Imagine a sport (UFC style) starting off with 2 guys playing videogames.
Have you ever heard of Chess Boxing? In between rounds of boxing, they play Chess. First person to get knocked out OR checkmated loses.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
But wouldnt that be MUCH more fun?? SURVIVAL OF THE FITEST!!
Duplication of services, there are already MMA tournaments.

Plus, I'd win every tournament.... Maybe I'll reconsider going to Genesis.

Have you ever heard of Chess Boxing? In between rounds of boxing, they play Chess. First person to get knocked out OR checkmated loses.

That's AWESOME!

DDM

Smash Journeyman

I think Lennox Lewis started a professional chess boxing league. Too heavy for me to handle.

EDIT: Checked Wiki, doesn't say anything. But I thought I remember him talking about it.

@HomE

Smash Ace
Duplication of services, there are already MMA tournaments.

Plus, I'd win every tournament.... Maybe I'll reconsider going to Genesis

The difference would be.

MMA = strong tan guys beating each other up

SSBB = Pale fragile nerds attempting to beat each other up, while playing video games

i dunno about you but i know what i would want to watch.. :)

UFC

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The difference would be.

MMA = strong tan guys beating each other up

SSBB = Pale fragile nerds attempting to beat each other up, while playing video games

i dunno about you but i know what i would want to watch.. :)
Wait, so I play SSBB, so I must be a pale fragile nerd. On the other hand, I do MMA, so I must be a strong tan guy. Contradiction!

*head explodes*

But don't worry, eventually it'll become obvious that the only way to win at smash is to become good at actual fighting, which means the weak fragile nerds will be pushed out of the scene, and it will become just like MMA.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I had no idea how awesome this thread became. Now I don't want to post in here telling you guys I updated the list to add Falco's d-air to the list (I haven't tested Yoshi's d-air yet, yeah I'm slow), but I do have to keep the information accurate, so... sorry.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero

Seriously? That sounds awesome.

I guess you could do the same with Smash Bros.
Instead of playing Chess between the Boxing rounds, players could play a 1on1 Brawl with like 20 lifes.
First one to lose all 20 stocks OR get KO'd irl, would lose :}

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf's up+B isn't that bad (for Ganondorf)
Is CFalcon's Up+B really THAT much better?

Clai

Smash Lord
Ganondorf's up+B isn't that bad (for Ganondorf)
Is CFalcon's Up+B really THAT much better?
You can't hit Captain Falcon out of his up+B. It, like almost every other move in the game, actually follows the principle of hit-stun. So yes, Captain Falcon's Up+B is better in every conceivable fashion.

It's also light-years ahead of Ganondorf's in manliness. YES!

Clai

Smash Lord
Can't DK fair spike Ganon out of Ganon's up b?
I don't think you know what this thread is about. DK's f-air has way too much start-time to take advantage of Ganon's opening.

The thread's about what you can do to hit Ganon after Ganon's already hit you with his up+B.

And I might as well post it here since someone else asked: Yoshi's d-air doesn't work either.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I don't think you know what this thread is about. DK's f-air has way too much start-time to take advantage of Ganon's opening.

The thread's about what you can do to hit Ganon after Ganon's already hit you with his up+B.

And I might as well post it here since someone else asked: Yoshi's d-air doesn't work either.
This is a missunderstanding I meant if DK can fair spike Ganon after getting grabbed by Ganon's up b before Ganon can do anything. I've done that on someone.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
Maybe if the DK got caught in it at around 0%, and double jump faired directly after?

what really sucks is that Falco can dair you. looks like I'll have to counterpick that matchup with Falcon then, lololol.

Clai

Smash Lord
Maybe if the DK got caught in it at around 0%, and double jump faired directly after?

what really sucks is that Falco can dair you. looks like I'll have to counterpick that matchup with Falcon then, lololol.
That's not possible. The way hits work in Brawl is that when you hit someone with an attack up to a certain percent, they aren't launched far enough that momentum cancelling becomes a factor. Once the opponent reaches a certain percent, they start to get launched and momentum cancelling becomes an issue.

This thread kind of illustrates what I mean:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=149978

So basically, the purpose of this thread is to say at what percentages do your opponents reach the threshold and can start momentum canceling. They can do it immediately after they get hit at these ercentages because the developers forgot to give this move some dayum hitstun. :mad:

Since, in regards to momentum canceling, aerials can come out before jumps, they are the quickest actions to take right after they get launched, as we all already know. Therefore, you can't double jump immediately after you get hit with Ganon's up+B at any percent and punish him for it. The only thing that comes out fast enough are aerials, and DK's f-air has, in theory, way too many start frames to come out and hit Ganon before DK gets launched too far to actually hit him, although if you really, really think this move works, I can test it out.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
That's not possible. The way hits work in Brawl is that when you hit someone with an attack up to a certain percent, they aren't launched far enough that momentum cancelling becomes a factor. Once the opponent reaches a certain percent, they start to get launched and momentum cancelling becomes an issue.

This thread kind of illustrates what I mean:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=149978

So basically, the purpose of this thread is to say at what percentages do your opponents reach the threshold and can start momentum canceling. They can do it immediately after they get hit at these ercentages because the developers forgot to give this move some dayum hitstun. :mad:

Since, in regards to momentum canceling, aerials can come out before jumps, they are the quickest actions to take right after they get launched, as we all already know. Therefore, you can't double jump immediately after you get hit with Ganon's up+B at any percent and punish him for it. The only thing that comes out fast enough are aerials, and DK's f-air has, in theory, way too many start frames to come out and hit Ganon before DK gets launched too far to actually hit him, although if you really, really think this move works, I can test it out.
I think what Moblin meant to say was, teching Ganon's afterlag from his dark dive, and some characters could actually catch Ganon before he finishes the animation.

Clai

Smash Lord
I think what Moblin meant to say was, teching Ganon's afterlag from his dark dive, and some characters could actually catch Ganon before he finishes the animation.
Ahhh, that's going to need more advanced testing. I would still think that you would need to be above the threshold percentages where you can momentum cancel because with a quick aerial, you could probably get a double jump in faster than if you were below the threshhold % and trying to jump. Even still, if you were in a completely open space, the other character can do his/her/it's momentum canceling move, double jump and then hit Ganon before he can move again. I think that's what he's trying to say, right?

Even if we can prove this, it's a much more situational process than what I already have because platforms, objects in the environment (like the lip on Final Destination) can all disrupt the other character in trying to punish Ganon out of his up+B.

It would require testing that I don't think I can do on my own, since I would have to control both the other character in trying to reach Ganon and Ganon himself trying to do anything before the other character can get to him.

Zakosai

Smash Apprentice
As many people as I have fought online, I have only met 2 people that ever capitalized on the strategy of hitting Ganon out of up-b.

In my opinion, most people don't care enough about Ganon to know the match-up which is why I think Ganon out of most of the characters in Brawl is probably the most "dark horse" character to the smash community. As most of you know, people are genuinely surprised to see a good Ganon in real life tournaments.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
While I'm up for keeping information current so people can know it, something about this bugs me...

People need help to beat Ganondorf?
No, but people need to take proper advantage of this. There's actually a difference between those two points.

Clai

Smash Lord
No, but people need to take proper advantage of this. There's actually a difference between those two points.
I know that there's a difference, particularly that in order to judge Ganondorf in any level of play, people have to take advantage of whatever beneficial situation happens when it comes to fighting Ganondorf.

I know that it's a point that people should know this so that they can know all of Ganondorf's weakness, but my point is that it's Ganondorf, and everyone ***** him hard enough that they won't have trouble winning even without knowing about Ganon's up-B, so other than to prove a point that's already known, I don't see why people need to know this.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
but my point is that it's Ganondorf, and everyone ***** him hard enough that they won't have trouble winning even without knowing about Ganon's up-B, so other than to prove a point that's already known, I don't see why people need to know this.
Shouldn't you be asking that to yourself?

Clai

Smash Lord
Shouldn't you be asking that to yourself?
I put it up in the Ganon boards so that the Ganon mains can know what to watch for if he uses his up-B on a character- which percentages can people start punishing Ganon's up-B and with what moves- so that the Ganon mains can DI/use other options accordingly. Plus, it's good to have exact data in our board so that when we talk about Ganon, we're using as complete information as possible.

The Ganon mains need to know about this. Absolutely. Everyone else... it helps them, but doesn't hurt them if they don't know about it.

Top Bottom