• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ganon's Cauldron of Questions (Ganon Q/A Thread)

zFlashyStyle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
T-Type
Anyone here mind linking me to a fast/flashy Ganondorf?
Opana and Pon seems like the type of Ganon I would like mines to be.

Bleak Power

Smash Rookie
Can anyone tell me which stall-and-fall moves up smash can outright beat? I know that Kirby's down B is one of them, but I can't remember anymore than that.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Trades with Wizard foot, beats the important ones(Bayo/Greninja) Other wise I just punish with a tilt

zFlashyStyle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
T-Type
As a Ganon player what are somethings that I should practice?
Can be from the most simple things to the most frame perfect things.
Just trying to get good...

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Learn the flame choke follow ups, know what your basic spacing tools are (Bair, Fair, D-tilt, Jab), learn to captilize hard on punishes, learn to edgeguard with Ganon.
If you want to be a bit more technical practice wizkick edge cancelling, it's relatively easy once you know how it works.

Bleak Power

Smash Rookie
Also, learn your opponent. It's important that you develop your instincts so that you can better absorb your opponent in the middle of a match. Even then, never stop thinking about the flow of the match.

Something you will surely need to learn is how to powershield consistently. It's one of your main tools against projectiles. Ganondorf's recovery isn't very good, so unexpected stage spikes can end your stock earlier. Train your tech reactions, they can save you from deadly jab reset combos, stage spikes or even normal spikes with proper DI. Remember, every extra percentage you survive is an extra bit of distance they will fly when hit in the face.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
How should I handle Sonic's side special and down special most effectively? Wizkick seems inconsistent as does choke, maybe dash attack but I'm looking for input here as it's my primary issue dealing with him.

Also, is he invincible during any point of his spring?

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
He's invincible frames 5-13, and I like jab for contesting spindash. Not too useful when approaching tho :(

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Well I studied my matches and took a ton of notes, just wanted to see if I missed anything. I screwed myself over a lot trying to edge guard him, never knew about the invinc frames appreciate that. I have some ideas of how to handle spin dash but I haven't been able to test them out.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Hey guys quick question. So I see pretty consistently in Ganon match videos that sometimes Ganon will go for dthrow to fair and it actually works. As far as I know it doesn't. Does it combo at certain percents? Or are people really that bad at DI? (I know it works on the smashville platform I'm talking on the normal stage).

Last edited:

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
Hey guys quick question. So I see pretty consistently in Ganon match videos that sometimes Ganon will go for dthrow to fair and it actually works. As far as I know it doesn't. Does it combo at certain percents? Or are people really that bad at DI? (I know it works on the smash like platform I'm talking on the normal stage).
I think it's when people DI in. People are usually prone to doing that near the ledge, probably because they expect a forward throw.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Hi another question lol. I really want to implement ganon's Fair special lag cancel into my game, but i am having a very difficult time pulling it off. any tips? it seems pretty straightforward. I can provide a video of my hopeless attempts if necessary lol.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Hey guys quick question. So I see pretty consistently in Ganon match videos that sometimes Ganon will go for dthrow to fair and it actually works. As far as I know it doesn't. Does it combo at certain percents? Or are people really that bad at DI? (I know it works on the smash like platform I'm talking on the normal stage).
At certain percents works with no DI as well, so you can mix-it up so they D-DIE the FThrow.

Hi another question lol. I really want to implement ganon's Fair special lag cancel into my game, but i am having a very difficult time pulling it off. any tips? it seems pretty straightforward. I can provide a video of my hopeless attempts if necessary lol.
Just change the timing, chances are that you are not imputting Fair fast enough, also you can actually fastfall a bunch of pixels from the ground and still cancel it, wich serves more to let you wizkick by imputting down before the B, precluding chances of imputting a WP, otherwise remember that you can't fastfall while ascending, so you can press down there if you have trouble with flicking the control stick down slow enough to not fastfall but fast enough to actually register as down, thus activating wizkick

How should I handle Sonic's side special and down special most effectively? Wizkick seems inconsistent as does choke, maybe dash attack but I'm looking for input here as it's my primary issue dealing with him.

Also, is he invincible during any point of his spring?
Try to spotdodge or roll behind it at time, wich of course implies spacing yourself so that you can react to to the sound at least. No matter how you try, he's completely safe if it hits your sheild

One question I have is how to DI Link's DThrow properly to dodge the second UTilt, like in the Discord crew battle?

Last edited:

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
Can F-Air be special cancelled in a single full-hop, or does it require a double jump? I seem to recall seeing someone do it in a simgle jump.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Megaman main here. I've been messing around with Gannon a bit as a secondary. I like that he is the complete opposite of mega man, helps me work on the parts of my mega man game that aren't as important. Reads, approaching, just overall being a more committal character.

Are there any other characters, (besides swords) that generally out prioritize Gannon's aerials?

I've been really liking being able to get super early kills with him, anything else I should be focusing on coming from mega man?

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Can F-Air be special cancelled in a single full-hop, or does it require a double jump? I seem to recall seeing someone do it in a simgle jump.
A single full hop
Megaman main here. I've been messing around with Gannon a bit as a secondary. I like that he is the complete opposite of mega man, helps me work on the parts of my mega man game that aren't as important. Reads, approaching, just overall being a more committal character.

Are there any other characters, (besides swords) that generally out prioritize Gannon's aerials?

I've been really liking being able to get super early kills with him, anything else I should be focusing on coming from mega man?
Need to be both longer ranged and have trascendent attacks, or being able to hit him before, one doesn't simply outdamage ganon's aerials The likes of Yoshi, Jigglypuff and Wario have a different problem related to this in neutral as they use their aerial mobility to outspace you.
You should be focusing on combos and in general on bringing up to eleven your advantaged states everytime you get them, especially if the match-up says that the neutral is in your sfavor, even more so if your disadvantaged state is heavy. Some characters might need reads even when advantaged to seal the stock, but usually they are the one that need a read to reset back to neutral.
Ah, try out footsies, especially those from FSmash and Bair, the first is pretty easy, just space it correctly and when you expect somebody is gonna throw an attack in landing, the animation and some lack of hurtboxes do the rest.
Also you really want to get used to DA more frequently than megaman and combo more out of it, same goes for Dair, Nair and DTilt.

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
Recently I faced a rather defensive Sonic. It was at a small gathering of smash players (not a tournament) and I couldn't seem to figure out how to deal with his playstyle. 90% of his entire set of moves was Spin Dash. He didn't bother to grab or anything as I was unable to punish it. I found this rather annoying (although I suppose it could be considered a viable strategy) so I'm asking if there is any way to deal with this as Ganondorf?

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Recently I faced a rather defensive Sonic. It was at a small gathering of smash players (not a tournament) and I couldn't seem to figure out how to deal with his playstyle. 90% of his entire set of moves was Spin Dash. He didn't bother to grab or anything as I was unable to punish it. I found this rather annoying (although I suppose it could be considered a viable strategy) so I'm asking if there is any way to deal with this as Ganondorf?
Outside spotdodging and rolling through it, just follow him and read what he does to dodge your punish

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Loving using ganon so far lots of fun.

So how is the wario matchup for Gannon? I'm looking to see if it is worth my time or sticking with mega man.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Loving using ganon so far lots of fun.

So how is the wario matchup for Gannon? I'm looking to see if it is worth my time or sticking with mega man.
Wario is one of our best, though it's probably only average. Try to force him to approach

Twoyears

Smash Cadet
Can anyone give me some sonic MU tips? I just can't catch this annoying blue ****.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
Can anyone give anti charge shot strategies? I have no local friends that play shiek, samus, lucario, or M2 but playing against them online is a pain. With cloud limit there isn't a risk of getting instantly taking one to the face, killing or leaving me with 20% and ruining my pressure. With corrin, greninja, Zelda, or ZSS I can shield the projectile and take stage control(sometimes even punish) because they can't shield. But charge shot characters just destroy me. They beat all my attacks and ruin my approach which is especially damaging because these players are usually really defensive. Lucario's hit ganon on the ledge so I can't ledge camp. Samus's combos out of everything and breaks shields with the help of a bomb(meaning if I jump-in > shield tomohawk she can place a bomb the dash away SH b-reverse chargeshot). Shiek and M2 also both have the mobility to capitalize on it if I shield it. Sorry if this was whiny lol.

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
Can anyone give anti charge shot strategies? I have no local friends that play shiek, samus, lucario, or M2 but playing against them online is a pain. With cloud limit there isn't a risk of getting instantly taking one to the face, killing or leaving me with 20% and ruining my pressure. With corrin, greninja, Zelda, or ZSS I can shield the projectile and take stage control(sometimes even punish) because they can't shield. But charge shot characters just destroy me. They beat all my attacks and ruin my approach which is especially damaging because these players are usually really defensive. Lucario's hit ganon on the ledge so I can't ledge camp. Samus's combos out of everything and breaks shields with the help of a bomb(meaning if I jump-in > shield tomohawk she can place a bomb the dash away SH b-reverse chargeshot). Shiek and M2 also both have the mobility to capitalize on it if I shield it. Sorry if this was whiny lol.
Well, in terms of approaching, always try to save your jump. If you're caught in a situation where you don't have it, they can easily trap your landing with said projectile. With Shiek in particular, if you shield point-blank, you can shieldgrab. The others' projectiles usually have too much shieldstun. To be honest, there's not a ton in particular that you can do about it, given Ganon's mobility and size. Of course, powershielding helps, but online it's really a pain. Offline, it's less of an issue (manageable, at least).

Uncle Tonkle

Smash Cadet
Does anyone here know if you can get ledge canceled down B into forward B guaranteed? I tried to check with the slowmotion hold L thing in training mode but it seems like they can airdodge. I might be missing something though, so I thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Last edited:

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Does anyone here know if you can get ledge canceled down B into forward B guaranteed? I tried to check with the slowmotion hold L thing in training mode but I can't tell if hitstun has ended.
Fairly certain it has to be the sour hitbox or late active frames of wizkick to true combo. Generally it only true combos if they spotdodged/rolled/got up into it from a knockdown.

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
Does anyone here know if you can get ledge canceled down B into forward B guaranteed? I tried to check with the slowmotion hold L thing in training mode but it seems like they can airdodge. I might be missing something though, so I thought I'd ask just to be sure.
They can definitely airdodge, but they'll get caught by Flame Choke anyway. They can escape by jumping though.

Uncle Tonkle

Smash Cadet
They can definitely airdodge, but they'll get caught by Flame Choke anyway. They can escape by jumping though.
I might've not been specific enough. I'm doing the flame choke offstage here. I hit with wizard foot so that we're both offstage and then I go for the suicide side B. If they jump, they're usually caught by it unless they have really good height on the start of their jump (Sheik sometimes managed if she had enough distance for example).

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I couldn't seem to airdodge Mister Eric's beep boop and I'm curious if it's due to our frame 4 air dodge. Can anyone confirm? My opinion on this mu changes slightly if we can't dodge this until very high percents lol

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I use a wiimote and shake it to use smash attacks

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Hey guys quick question. I read somewhere that jab at low percents can cause people to tumble off ledges, and can confirm into a dair spike. Is this viable? At what percent should I be going for this? Can the opponent go into the tumble animation if jabbed while laying on the ground (i.e. From a flame choke)? Thanks!

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Can anyone clarify what characters can be choked onto platforms (i.e. Battlefield)? I recently read through Hi-Hatz' guide and it said you can platform choke Yoshi. However when I tried it, I could only get Yoshi up onto the platforms if I used Aerudo. I'm trying to incorporate stronger stage-related techniques into my game so this would be a huge help.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Can anyone clarify what characters can be choked onto platforms (i.e. Battlefield)? I recently read through Hi-Hatz' guide and it said you can platform choke Yoshi. However when I tried it, I could only get Yoshi up onto the platforms if I used Aerudo. I'm trying to incorporate stronger stage-related techniques into my game so this would be a huge help.
It got removed a while ago in one of the patches.

Top Bottom