• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's poor shieldgrab - A solution?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
All too many times we've taken hits on our rusty shields,
just to miss with our shieldgrab thereafter.

When your opponent hits your shield
- "Shield-DI" (DI while shielding) towards the opponent and shieldgrab.

I must get better at Shield-DI'ing.
I really think it can pay off in the long run.

Does anyone have any tips on how to nail it consistantly?
Timing, how hard to push the Control Stick, etc...

Is there a thread about it?

I have no idea why I haven't gives this as much attention earlier.

I am not sure myself, but I would say to practice on the beam on halberd, the beam on spear pillar, or perhaps those smartbombs. But, I think they eat your shield too much.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I am not sure myself, but I would say to practice on the beam on halberd, the beam on spear pillar, or perhaps those smartbombs. But, I think they eat your shield too much.
Hmm, yeah.
Or against most Stage Hazards.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I've done some testing with it when I played as G&W a very long time ago. It works like SDI, but holding the L/R button. Not many secrets.

The hard thing to do is do that without regret.
1st: it only works on high shield stun moves (Snake's UTilt) or multi-hit moves (Pit's NAir).
2nd: If the move's shield push is too high, the shield DI is almost null so it doesn't pay off.
3rd: If the opponent can link that move to a grab, you'll be in trouble, since you won't be away enough to avoid it if you shield DI towards him. This can be easily avoided by shield DIing away from him, but then we don't get our shield grab.
4th: It's very risky to shield poking moves too. The great majority of shield pressure moves covers a low hitbox that the shield usually doesn't cover. Thus we have to chose, in almost every shield pressure situations, either to shield DI to get our shield grab or cover our low parts so we don't get shield poked -> gimped.
5th: I dont know if it's true, however I've heard that shield DI worns your shield off faster. This requires testing, tho.

It's a very situational choice to make and I recommend in some cases, but not all of them. I can do it consistently by holding the shield while being pressured and taping both sticks towards the opponent.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
How far/hard/quick do you tilt the stick, Baha?

And do you tilt right before you get hit, right AS you get hit,
or right after you get hit?

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
I tilt both of them as hard and as fast as I can, just like in SDI. The Control stick, however, you have to soft tilt, or else you'll roll.

You have to start the Shield DI as you're being hit. If you do it before, you'll tilt your shield and won't shield DI.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
it angles your shield and this is necessary for the CStick DI to work, so you have to do it with both sticks.
Dunno if it works with Tilt stick, tho'.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Baha, I tried your method but without using the Control Stick.
Only the C-stick.

And it is awesome when you get the hang of it.
I tested it for like 10 minutes on Ike's Fair - Works pretty well.
We can run in, Shield > Shield-DI > Grab him out of it.
It looks awesome.

I'm gonna try it on other attacks when I have time.

Though, Power Shielding is a better option against Ike's Fair,
Sheild-DI'ing might be better against other attacks.

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
That's strange. I can't get it working only with the C-stick. Maybe it has some sort of timming. How do you do it, Z1g?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Well, I shield, then I hit C-stick towards the opponent with full force,
just as my shield is hit.

Ganon slides *towards* the opponent, and even automaticly grab him/her.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Well, I shield, then I hit C-stick towards the opponent with full force,
just as my shield is hit.

Ganon slides *towards* the opponent, and even automaticly grab him/her.
So when you do this, you don't need another input for grab because the cstick inputs attack? That's what it sounds like from your post.

:034:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
So when you do this, you don't need another input for grab because the cstick inputs attack? That's what it sounds like from your post.

Bingo.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
/ Noobicidal Style

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ike's Fair?
You mean...
Actually...
So to speak...
Ike's Fair?
Ike's Fair? The longest-reaching move next to z-airs in the game? What you're telling me, then, is... you grab out of Ike's Fair? Just like that?
Not if it's perfectly spaced, but if it hits somewhere in the middle of the sword, where you normaly wouldn't be able to grab him.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
So c-stick grabs after hitstun if u buffer it or something? if u just sheild amd c-stick forwards, backwards then it rolls.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90

Some people tend to pivot boost grab with the C-stick and L or R, since the combination already performs grab, still allowing the boost for some reason.

Top Bottom