• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Garde's Link Guide

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Good guide. It really helped my friend out.
You should check out my Falcon guide and tell me what you think.

mkmelee

Smash Lord
I liked the guide! Although I knew most of this stuff already, I can tell alot of hard work was put into it and its put together very well. GJ!

Nytroid

Smash Rookie
some of your attack % are a little off. link's smash sweep can do up to 23 fully charged (if you are extremely close and your opponent is airborne) also link's forward smash slice can do 20 on the second strike if your opponent is above you, regardless of how much the first strike was charged. I use this all the time when enimes try to recover; they fall right into it and its surpising because no charging is required for the full effect of the attack

Forsaken Link

Smash Cadet
Superb Link Guide!!!!!!! I can own my friends with the link combos! :chuckle: Besides that I have been playing Link ever since this game series existed and I still learned stuff here!! Again.....GREAT GUIDE!

Ac35Full701

Smash Apprentice
i have to agree. very solid. very well researched. well documented. etc. Link is my personal favorite and after not playing the game for a year or something, i finally started again. ive been using Link against lv 9 CPUs, and have trouble with Ganondorf on ocassion because of stupid mistakes by me. hopin that remembering some of this information will help my skill.

peacee

killbeast301

Smash Lord
Link rules

Very soon Link won't be the "oh, hes a n00b character." No with this guide is the first step of many of turning Link into a player based character.

"Crap he chose Link.....is he a master.....crap I might lose....what do I do...."

FEAR.....soon Link will put fear into everyone who sees him chosen.[/QUOTE]

Nobody understands that just because link can be usefull for a noob, doesn't mean that he is not useful for someone skilled. It just takes more work to use him skillfully, but when you do, link rules.

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
Very good guide=) Im playing Link for the time being, so ill follow this faq to masterLink. *Clap clap clap*

Khanczar

Smash Ace
This guide pwns, Garde. (jus like link hehehe)

But i gots a question for you.
I really need an excuse to WD. I can wavedance pretty easily with link, but i havent even thought of a way to incorporate it into anything. Since your pretty much the Link-i-pedia, plz help me! I jus feel like im wasting a good skill...

princess_of_hyrule

Smash Cadet
Kudos, Garde!

I read the whole thing today, had to take a break for dinner...hehe...but I went through it all and learned so much! Thanks for writing this guide, it is really helpful and comprehensive, and even humble! It's also really good that you encourage people to find their own ways to play as Link too. :) I will be trying the things I learned right now! Thanks again for a wonderful guide!

NovA™

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sweet guide, the thing i liked the most was that i learned all of link's move names, the real ones anyways. Now I can stop calling , the spin attack UP B even tho I'm probably going to continue to call it UP B hehe : ).

Giggidax

Smash Ace
really great guide man :) im a link fan myself and i found this guide very entertaining and helpful.
link is one of my favorites because of his bombs. i like to edge guard with them, given the chance :p it annoys the opponent to the max if u manage to blow his face up before he hangs onto the cliff ^-^

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
Nice guide Garde, although I'm pretty sure I have grabbed smaller enemies who were extremely close to me from the air. I will investigate further into this. ;)

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
y am i called a noob?? ppl call me tht on runescape :(
:urg: oh well kinda funny i guess. :laugh:
I'm a level 66 on runescape with very good armor and people still call me a noob, lol. So don't worry about it.

No one will call you a noob in ssbm if you read this guide! ^_^

Garde

Smash Ace
Zelda_Fan_, you're correct. Link's grab, at very close range, can grab people from the air. This guide was written quite a long time ago and has never been updated (although I do have an incomplete update on my computer that'll probably stay unfinished), so a little bit of the information is sadly incorrect, while a lot of it is outdated.

The correct height of the opponent in order to grab them from the air is when the lowest part of their body is around the top of Link's head. It really depends on how fast the character falls, but usually you want to begin the grab right as they're at his eyes.

-----

Nytroid, I only tested against grounded opponents. It's possible you've discovered somewhat of a sweet spot for those moves. And yes, I agree that the 2nd hit of the f-smash does not gain or lose power based off of how much you charged the first hit.

-----

Thanks NovA. A friend of mine had an official Nintendo strategy guide for SSBM and I got the names from it, so I can't really call it my own work. I liked the idea of each move having a name, but I must agree that using terms like up+B, f-smash, f-air, etc. are far easier to type and everyone around here is familiar with them.

-----

To everyone else, sorry I cannot respond to you all personally, but I figured that the responses that have found errors in my guide are probably the most important to respond to since my guide does have errors that have never been corrected. If there's one thing I dislike, it's spreading misinformation around, and I apologize that my guide does have a slight amount of that. No one is perfect, and if you think something in my guide is wrong, test it yourself and post your results!

Thank you all for reading my guide. Without you all, I would've never written it in the first place. I'm glad that, for the most part, it has served you guys (and girls) well.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
I'm a level 66 on runescape with very good armor and people still call me a noob, lol. So don't worry about it.

No one will call you a noob in ssbm if you read this guide! ^_^
Um because runescape is lame. and why are we even talking about runescape. this site is for super smash bros. not runescape.

anyways...

great guide. i learned loads. better than many of the other guides out there.

Top Bottom