• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gatling Combo AKA Dash Attack Up-Smash Guide

Slowz

Smash Rookie
Hi, this is just a brief little guide for anyone that had as much trouble as a did getting the Gatling Combo under their belt for G&W. First, I will explain what the Gatling Combo is, then I will explain its forms, and how it may be applied to your G&W play.

A Gatling Combo is, as the title states, a Dash Attack canceled immediately into an Up-Smash. Think of a DACUS, but much easier on the hands and not as bad to get down. It also requires you to hit the foe with your dash attack, and perform the input for the combo on the first frame of connecting the hit.

Also, unlike DACUS, the Gatling Combo isn't a true cancel; it simply interrupts the end-lag of the on hit of the dash-attack into an up-smash. DACUS, however, is an immediate cancel into an up-smash with a very, very tight window for execution. Only a few characters have accesses to the Gatling Combo, with our main man G&W being one of them.

Here's a short list of everyone capable of the Gatling Combo (That I know of):
G&W
Wario
Falco
Jigglypuff
Ivysaur
Sonic

(This list is courtesy of TheReflexWonder, from a 2.5 video you can view here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxq2TSnakNc)

Please feel free to inform me if any of the new cast members are able to perform a Gatling Combo, and I will add them to the list.

Now, back to how to perform the Gatling Combo. You should first know that doing this combo with the C-Stick is, as far as my tests have gone, impossible. If anyone would care to prove me wrong, please say so and I will edit this.

EDIT:
You can gatling the Up-smash with the C-stick, I've done it a lot with Falco.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShM11mV7wMI#t=85
Credit to SpiderMad.

Second, when you input the combo, do not take your finger of the analog stick. Instead, flick/slide it to the next position.

Third, start off slow, in training mode. If you're having trouble doing it right off the bat, turn down the game speed to 1/4 until you can land it consistently, then bump it up to 1/2, 2/3, and so on until you are back at regular speed. The timing will come with practice, trust me.

Alright, here it is, the moment you've been waiting for; the combo's input! Start with a dash, initiate a dash attack, IMMEDIATELY flick your control stick from the left/right up and perform an up-smash, in a swift, controlled manner. You should get damage from your dash attack and start performing an up-smash while still sliding across the stage. You should also only tap the attack button twice during this entire combo; don't try to just spam the button. I've tried, it doesn't work. Refer to the video above to see what I'm talking about.

NOTE: You MUST land the dash attack, and the flick-to-up-smash maneuver should be done IMMEDIATELY after it lands. For G&W, you won't even hear the sound effect for the dash attack before you start the sliding animation into your up-smash.
Remember, the dash attack MUST hit on the FIRST FRAME to perform the Gatling Combo.

It should also be noted that G&W also has access to a grab-canceled version of this technique; it works very well on the heavier-set members of the cast. The timing is much more forgiving and you can easily pivot the grab. I have zero clue if anybody else can do this, so please, inform me below if you know of anyone.

As for what this combo can do for your game, it should be noted that, for G&W, Up-Smash is part of that group of moves that makes the character. It's a kill move that deals 22-23% damage and has amazing knockback. The only drawback is that it's, surprise suprise!, very slow.

The Gatling Combo serves to remedy this problem; it catches your foe and carries them along the dash-attacks knockback into the up-smash. For G&W, this is an incredibly easy 33%, and can be charged for mindgames/predictions/ect. Of course you must account for DI and such, but this is for you to work with.

In short, I would call the Gatling Combo for G&W a must learn, as it quickly becomes a bread'n butter combo that works on a great deal of the cast.

Well, I do believe that sums it up! Please, review/comment on any you may see wrong, tell me if you had any success with my guide, ect. Thanks!

(You may also wish to refer to Hini's thread over the Dash-Attack-Grab-Cancel variant of the combo here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/dagc-dash-attack-grab-cancel-or-ya-mom-incomplete.335238/)

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
let me just say that this move is an amazing attack. even without the landing the dash attack to hit them into the up smash, the DACUS itself is such an amazing tech chase and a great surprise attack when used wisely. very frequently in matches do i get at least a kill with this move, often times more than a kill.

while the upsmash is quite slow to start up. there isnt too much lag after the attack, and the benefit is that there is only one very large hitbox, as opposed to a sweetspot & sourspot design. when this is combined with the DACUS, the negative effect of the start up is essentially absorbed by the distance you travel when sliding, since the hitbox comes out very soon from when you stop charging it.

overall i would definitely recommend that any GW player who is looking to advance their skill level and is past the begining stages of learning the character should pay attention to this thread, as it provides you with access to a very efficient killing technique.

for those unsure of their current skill level with GW, this is what i would recommend to learn before attempting to incorporate the DACUS/Gatling combo into your play:
-general L-cancelling, edge cancelling, and recovery techniques with GW
- proper use of mobility techniques (WD and DD specifically) to position oneself to approach/bait/punish/retreat/defend from an opponents attacks. patient and efficient use of GWs mobility tools on the ground enhances the effectiveness and easiness of landing a DACUS/Gatling combo
-ability to make succesful reads on opponents rolls and actions while tech chasing
- knowledge of and ability to land GWs most effective setups and follow with his most fundamental killing moves/manuevers to broaden the amount of killing options you have access to in any given situations (typical throws > nair/fair/side b; up b > nair/fair/side b combos; wave-smashing to compliment a succesful read/tech chase)
-edge guarding with GW

once you have a good feel for a lot of these most fundamental points, then that is where the DACUS/gatling combo will help you achieve noticable results

Slowz

Smash Rookie
let me just say that this move is an amazing attack. even without the landing the dash attack to hit them into the up smash, the DACUS itself is such an amazing tech chase and a great surprise attack when used wisely. very frequently in matches do i get at least a kill with this move, often times more than a kill.

while the upsmash is quite slow to start up. there isnt too much lag after the attack, and the benefit is that there is only one very large hitbox, as opposed to a sweetspot & sourspot design. when this is combined with the DACUS, the negative effect of the start up is essentially absorbed by the distance you travel when sliding, since the hitbox comes out very soon from when you stop charging it.

overall i would definitely recommend that any GW player who is looking to advance their skill level and is past the begining stages of learning the character should pay attention to this thread, as it provides you with access to a very efficient killing technique.

for those unsure of their current skill level with GW, this is what i would recommend to learn before attempting to incorporate the DACUS/Gatling combo into your play:
-general L-cancelling, edge cancelling, and recovery techniques with GW
- proper use of mobility techniques (WD and DD specifically) to position oneself to approach/bait/punish/retreat/defend from an opponents attacks. patient and efficient use of GWs mobility tools on the ground enhances the effectiveness and easiness of landing a DACUS/Gatling combo
-ability to make succesful reads on opponents rolls and actions while tech chasing
- knowledge of and ability to land GWs most effective setups and follow with his most fundamental killing moves/manuevers to broaden the amount of killing options you have access to in any given situations (typical throws > nair/fair/side b; up b > nair/fair/side b combos; wave-smashing to compliment a succesful read/tech chase)
-edge guarding with GW

once you have a good feel for a lot of these most fundamental points, then that is where the DACUS/gatling combo will help you achieve noticable results
Very true. I'm still hammering down all of the above; it's really difficult when you're a wuss and won't play wi-fi for fear of lag related rage.

But, yea. Do what this guy says. Speakin' truth.

SpiderMad

Smash Master

One thing I've felt was that you had to hit with the DA early to be able to do it, but you're saying you can do it at the very last frame that your hitbox is out on the DA and still perform the gatling? Do you perform the Up-smash the very next frame after they got hit, or the very frame after the hitlag is over and they enter hitstun?

Why does the gatling exist? Why'd they put it into Brawl?

Slowz

Smash Rookie

One thing I've felt was that you had to hit with the DA early to be able to do it, but you're saying you can do it at the very last frame that your hitbox is out on the DA and still perform the gatling? Do you perform the Up-smash the very next frame after they got hit, or the very frame after the hitlag is over and they enter hitstun?

Why does the gatling exist? Why'd they put it into Brawl?
I believe it is the next frame after they are hit. And no, you have to hit with the beginning of the DA, which was what I was meant by stating that the very first frame of the DA must connect. My mistake.

EDIT: oh and as to why it's in brawl, iuno. Maybe just an abuse of Brawl's engine, like wave-dashing is using Melee's physics engine.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Anyone have a recommended control scheme that makes this easier? I can't seem to get this down consistently in actual matches.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Any setup where you have two attack buttons will work to do Gatling Combos. If you don't want to learn it with "the claw" set L, R, X or Y to attack and it'll be free. I'm pretty sure DACUS has to be done with the C-Stick and an attack button so keep that in mind. So if you practice A+L for Gatling it won't carry over for your DACUS.

Slowz

Smash Rookie
Any setup where you have two attack buttons will work to do Gatling Combos. If you don't want to learn it with "the claw" set L, R, X or Y to attack and it'll be free. I'm pretty sure DACUS has to be done with the C-Stick and an attack button so keep that in mind. So if you practice A+L for Gatling it won't carry over for your DACUS.
This guy. I use a CCP, with A being for attack, and using the above method I can pull of the Gatling Combo about 80-85%, increasing more and more as I practice it.

Slowz

Smash Rookie
I use CCP and use L for Attack along with another button. I get it about 90% of the time now.
I thought about switching attack to L, but I'm so used to what I have I think it would actually hamper me in the long run. Idk, I should at least try it.

RedHotWaffles

Smash Rookie
What's the secret to moving up from 2/3 to 1 time? I can land it if I C-stick the dash and then use up+A to pull off the smash, but I can't get it double tapping A, which I think will be better in the long run. Do I just double tap as fast as I can or what?

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
What's the secret to moving up from 2/3 to 1 time? I can land it if I C-stick the dash and then use up+A to pull off the smash, but I can't get it double tapping A, which I think will be better in the long run. Do I just double tap as fast as I can or what?
There is no secret, practice makes perfect. If you keep trying, I guarantee you'll get it down to the point where you land it every time in training mode. From there you'll be able to move on to doing it in actual matches.

And if you don't use your L button for anything, setting it to attack will definitely make this easier. Personally I like having two shield buttons.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
yup cstick down, then up, ive tried doing the way its mentioned in the OP, Left/Right c-stick to up, and that methods wonky as hell. the only time ive been ever able to get that way is by doing a swooping motion from Left to up. Cstick down/up is straight line and doesn't require as much practice

Slowz

Smash Rookie
yup cstick down, then up, ive tried doing the way its mentioned in the OP, Left/Right c-stick to up, and that methods wonky as hell. the only time ive been ever able to get that way is by doing a swooping motion from Left to up. Cstick down/up is straight line and doesn't require as much practice
Again, worth noting I do it on CCP. Duno if that makes a difference, but its what works for me. If C-stick is superior then, by all means.

Yung Mei

the hell is CCP? Claw? IMO, cstick only is the superior method because it doesn't require wacky ass control changes. Not saying anything against people who change controls for it, but thats just how easy it is, at least to me

Last edited:

Slowz

Smash Rookie
the hell is CCP? Claw? IMO, cstick only is the superior method because it doesn't require wacky *** control changes. Not saying anything against people who change controls for it, but thats just how easy it is, at least to me
Sorry; it stands for Classic Controller Pro. I've just gotten used to its default configuration and it works for me.

Yung Mei

oh, in that case im not sure tbh, ive never used a CCP

CoolDad2

Smash Cadet
a bunch of my and one of kayfabe's gatlings in gif form if you need em

http://smashbrosuniverse.tumblr.com/post/73145560928/pm-mr-game-watchs-or-watches-im-completely

also, C-Stick down, then up is the best method of doing it IMO
as easy as just flicking the c-stick sounds.. i've been in a training room for about an hour now and have only pulled it off twice randomly. I've tried different timings and yeah, i'm not sure why it isn't working. Do you have any insight?

Yung Mei

practice doing Falco's Gatling combo in Brawl. You can do Brawl snakes DACUS (im assuming its called dacus since the mortar doesn't technically combo from the dash attack), the same method too. i can probably provide a video of the handmotion if you really need it.

After practicing it, itll probably be easier, except the timing is now faster since PM doesn't have buffering. Falco's gatling combo in PM is more or less the same as it was in brawl though.

Also, like Yursaman said, theres no secret to getting it, just practice it and youll get it down eventually

Last edited:

CoolDad2

Smash Cadet
practice doing Falco's Gatling combo in Brawl. You can do Brawl snakes DACUS (im assuming its called dacus since the mortar doesn't technically combo from the dash attack), the same method too. i can probably provide a video of the handmotion if you really need it.

After practicing it, itll probably be easier, except the timing is now faster since PM doesn't have buffering. Falco's gatling combo in PM is more or less the same as it was in brawl though.

Also, like Yursaman said, theres no secret to getting it, just practice it and youll get it down eventually
Will do, i'll just keep practicing.
If I'm still struggling to get it down after a few days, the hand motion video would be great. But I think i'll fine for now, thank you.

PervertedPanda3

Smash Cadet
Just gonna add that I use A to dash attack then Up+Z to gattling, up+Z after down C-stick for DACUS.

+Another great G&W move against fastfallers is just canceling dash attack with grab, like a gattling with a grab. Since at lower percents fastfallers won't get hit by the gattling unless you read that they tech in place and you charge the up smash. DA grab->upthrow->uptilit->(DI dependent followup) is a combo I love.

Last edited:

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
For Dacus, Cstick Down > Z Up is the best input

For Gatling Combo, Just doing a Dash Attack with A and Sliding the Stick Up and pressing A again will do the trick, is fairly easy this way.

For Dash Canceled Grab, press A and Hold Z rofl, can't be easier.

For Pivot Dash Canceled Grab on hit, i go for Cstick Down-> and Hold Z+ the opposite direction, easy too

For Pivot Dash Canceled Grab, i go for Cstick Down-> Z+ the opposite direction just after the Cstick down input.

I can do all of these consistently so i suggest this inputs.

Top Bottom