• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GC controler vs Wii controler

tocador

Smash Lord
I play Smash since it was released for Nintendo 64, at the begining it was cool and stuff, i only played for fun with friends. But then came Melee, o god, melee was great, many new chars and stages. At first i only played for fun, but when i found out about competitive melee i wanted to join it! Cmon, playing my favorite game and beat the other at champs, what could be better.

At my first try i lost hard, i mean, i didnt knew nothing about AT, like wavedashing, wavelanding, wave-gime-a-cookie and wavewhatever, so first i needed to learn it. I mean it was hard at first, pressing like 5 buttons almost all at the same time, it was hard, but after i got used to it.

Then i gave the champs another shot, and BOOM! i went better but stil couldn't win ****, then i saw some other problems. Like the C-stick, i mean, everyone likes it, its easy to use and stuff and it gives great advantage vs non-c-sticking players, cause your much, i mean MUCH faster. But the point was, no matter how hard i tried, my fingers wouldn't obey me and wouldn't press the GOD DAM C-STICK, and i always lost cause of this issue. Once or twice i could beat a c-stick user(A good one) but i could never win a champ =/.

I then gave up of competitive melee, and all i blamed was that GC controler that i couldn't master. It Su**** and i couldn't do **** about it. So i then just gave up.

But there it came, BRAWL was anounced, couldn't wait for it and it bumped me to play smash again, so i started all over again :D.

When brawl was released it was great new chars, new modes, final smahs and NEW CONTROLER. You know, many people at the time (including me) just forgot the wii + nunchuk
combo to play brawl, we were only interresed in the GC controler.

Then i think God send me a sing, and once at a friends house, we were doing a small champ, and everyone needed to bring their controlers, but i forgot mine and the only thing left was a wii remote. I WAS SCRE***, i wouldn't be able to play my max potential and win, i would be the last i almost cryed :urg:.

Then a miracle happened, i dont know why but i liked using the wii+nunchuk, at first it su*** but after i played 3~5 matches i was better with it then with the GC controler, and i could beat that c-stick/b-stick users easily, i was really playing well.

So i came to some conclusions why i played well and they were
1.More chars = More mains = PAWNAGE!
2.New game = bad players = normal
3.No wavestuff = fair game
4.wii controlore > gc controler maybe?

so i needed to test and i practiced almost all of my theories untill they all failed except the GC controler. So then i came to a champ of the city (im not from US) of Sao Paulo and i won it! Yay! And all my oponents(almost all) were using GC controlers because of C-stick/B-stick AT's and other things. I mean people say its hard to wavebounce with no B-stick, but i trained it and i could do it, and i say that i dont miss the c-stick.

My point is, in my case when i went from melee to brawl i got a better player many factors and one of them was the controler. Many people criticize the Wii controler, and only use the GC controler. I know like the BESTS use GC controler, but i dont care, whats good for me is what stays, and my point is, why do people hate so much the wii controler withought even trying it a bit?

Thanks for reading :D

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
So i came to some conclusions why i played well and they were
1.More chars = More mains = PAWNAGE!
2.New game = bad players = normal
3.No wavestuff = fair game
1. No
2. ????
3. NO!!!NO!!NO!!!
4. ......HELL NO

tocador

Smash Lord
1. No
2. ????
3. NO!!!NO!!NO!!!
4. ......HELL NO
dude its true more mains made me play a lil better, like i mained roy on melee but i really didnt like it and in brawl i have 3 mains, DDD/Lucas/Lucario so yes its a issue

my second coment makes no sense forget it

And its true withought the glitches of wave-stuff the game became much more fair and much more friendly to newbies

And FOR ME not for everyone wii control > gc control, i dont want everyone to use it, but its good to try new things

i mean if everyone does the same thing like using only one char, how someone will discover if other chars can be good. And when i say that is that even if you're used to GC controler thers nothing wrong with trying to use new controlers ^^

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
if your better with a different controller then play it but GC controller is more convient and i dont know an actual one piece controller. you dont have to sync it into a wii and always take out the batteries. GC controllers you just plug in and out

tocador

Smash Lord
sorry for my ignorance, whats QFT

and ITS my opinion, i mean, im not to argue that wii remote > gc but FOR ME, ME NOT THE WORLD, the wii remote worked better, and yes paulleh, you can do Snakedash/linkdash with wiiremote but ir requires lots and lots of practice :D

Just to say, on the wii remote all the comands are almost perfect to use, while at GC many people need to set new buttons to get used. OK, ther's nothing wrong with changin controls since its your opinion on how to use it, but on wii remote you dont have to actually change them because they are so, so cool :D

and you can c-stick in wii remote, you do it when you shake de wii remote in one side, so there actually IS c-sticking in wii remote :D

SSD

Smash Journeyman
just a question... can you still snakedash linkdash etc. with the wiimote?
With wiimote+nunchuck? Of course you can. Turn on shake smash. Simply dash and do a down-up flick of your wrist. It reads the down smash as a dash attack and the up smash as...an up smash. You don't even need to use your fingers, lol.

But I can't play with that setup. It's a pain to adjust, so I just use my classic controller.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
3. NO!!!NO!!NO!!!
I still don't understand why you guys are so butthurt about that stupid Wavedashing...

Anyway...

I remember an interview with Sakurai, where he stated that there is only one true way to play Smash - while holding up a GC Controller.

4Serial

Smash Lord
I still don't understand why you guys are so butthurt about that stupid Wavedashing....
it's just the fact that this scrub is being all scrubby about wavedashing.
i could care less that wavedashing was taken out of brawl, but scrubs don't need to brag about how "broken" they think wavedashing was.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I don't friggin care about Wavedashing either, that whole Brawl vs. Melee / Casual vs. Competitive crap freaking annoys me to no end, though.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Why change something you're used to if you don't have to?
It's like this, each of the Smashes are diffrent games, each of them you would want a diffrent fill to it. GC is basicly the same feel and some people don't want the same feeling, just diffrent. Some just want the diffrent taste but same feel, the reason why I use Classic instead of GC.

tocador

Smash Lord
i dont want to take up as ofense but ok i acted scrubish back there, but it was of the fact i SU****, now i dont think this way, and i really dont care what other people say about my acts, because you know it's me not you =/

and about the GC controler and sakurai words, i say one thing: Imagine your the best ever on something, like golf. You the golf master, every thing you do like sneaze people say it improves your golf skill so then everyone that golfs sneaze's before playing because it make you better. Your golf style is (hipothetically) doing a large back swing with a small front swing(gc controler) and evveryone adopt this the oficial style.

so then one day a guy starts winning everything, but people say he wont have future and that his playstyle of small back swing and large front swing(wii remote) su** and that he only wins because he dosen't play good large back swingers. So then it come to a final showdown between the Best back swinger vs the best front swinger and then we got 2 results:

1: the back swinger wins and front swingers are mainly almost eliminated from every golf champ
or
2:the front swinger wins and now front swing > back swing

so my point is, DOSENT MATTER HOW YOU PLAY, but if you have fun/win/acchive your goal this is all that matters, and my point is that WHEN I, REPEATING, I, use the wii remote i play better then with gc controller, but thats ME, and maybe 99% of the world uses the gc controler and are better, but w/e that's how i play

now about people coming and criticizing wii remote withought even trying to use it with excuses of "whats good wont change, why trying something new" or "What sakurai say's goes" this is a scrubish thought and should be at least re-thinked and (please) changed!

And a final thing about wave-dash: Wavedash out for me is much better, ok "mimimi scrubish", w/e if i was really with a scrubish thought why would THE CREATOR of the game remove it on the next version?

thanks for talking to me people :D and sorry if i mistyped something(i mean lot's of things) and Lets Brawl!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Its the wii motes fault for getting rid of light sheilds. It dosn't have a spring like GC's L and R buttons do.

tocador

Smash Lord
Its the wii motes fault for getting rid of light sheilds. It dosn't have a spring like GC's L and R buttons do.
sorry for being rude but i couldnt understand really well what you said, and if i understood correctly you said wii remote can shield as good as GC?

This is a lame afirmation, because each person has a diferent way to press buttons and to use the controlers, i press much faster the wii remote+nunchuck shield button then the gc, it varys from person to person.

and sorry if i misunderstood what you said, you may had said anything different but what i understood was this.

K 2

Smash Lord
Most of us have used the GC controller for 5 years or more in Melee. Why switch to something new when you are already comfortable/good with the GC controller?

tocador

Smash Lord
thats my point, you wont know if you smash better with the wii remote if you think that switching, or at least trying to switch is "bad", i got this step to change and i want to encourage other player's to do the same!

Thanks for talking people but im sleeping now CyA!

Kingdrom

Smash Cadet
I've been using the Wiiremote+Nunchuck for a while (with Dpad for smashes), and it's not as bad as it seems. The directional arrows work like a C-Stick except I think they don't do SDI, and foward smashes must be tilted using your analog stick. Boost Smashing is still very possible (A and then Up A- not easy for Shiek's up smash though :/). Your hands are already on the buttons, so no clawing is necessary. Your left and right hands are independent, allowing you to play for longer without getting fatigued.

Coordinating aerials with jumping is also much easier with the wiimote+nunchuck. While I'm not going to argue the overall usefulness of the GC controller for ATs, the wiimote + nunchuck is still a combination that should be competitively viable.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
It's like this, each of the Smashes are diffrent games, each of them you would want a diffrent fill to it. GC is basicly the same feel and some people don't want the same feeling, just diffrent. Some just want the diffrent taste but same feel, the reason why I use Classic instead of GC.

oh well of course i could see why a few people don't use the GCN anymore. And I wouldn't argue the GCN is better in any way. In fact, I'd say the classic would probly be better in most cases. I'm just an easy laidback sorta guy, I like things easy.

Of course, me being g&w and all, you already knew that, lol.

Roihu

Smash Ace
now about people coming and criticizing wii remote withought even trying to use it with excuses of "whats good wont change, why trying something new" or "What sakurai say's goes" this is a scrubish thought and should be at least re-thinked and (please) changed!

And a final thing about wave-dash: Wavedash out for me is much better, ok "mimimi scrubish", w/e if i was really with a scrubish thought why would THE CREATOR of the game remove it on the next version?
Maybe so, but it doesn't mean everyone has to like it.

Quail Man

Smash Apprentice
I've been using the Wiiremote+Nunchuck for a while (with Dpad for smashes), and it's not as bad as it seems. The directional arrows work like a C-Stick except I think they don't do SDI, and foward smashes must be tilted using your analog stick. Boost Smashing is still very possible (A and then Up A- not easy for Shiek's up smash though :/). Your hands are already on the buttons, so no clawing is necessary. Your left and right hands are independent, allowing you to play for longer without getting fatigued.

Coordinating aerials with jumping is also much easier with the wiimote+nunchuck. While I'm not going to argue the overall usefulness of the GC controller for ATs, the wiimote + nunchuck is still a combination that should be competitively viable.
Same here. The only bad thing is that you can only have a grab button or a jump button (C), not both, but you can get around that with tap-jump or shield grabbing. Also, you can use shake smash for boost smashing (just down and up).

Wait, d-pad smashes don't produce smash DI? That sucks, I'm going to test it anyway.

edit: 50th post

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
I still don't understand why you guys are so butthurt about that stupid Wavedashing...
Because it takes a total of 20-30 mins to learn, and if someone is there teaching you how to learn it could be even less. And I hate it when people call it a glitch. Its called physics people. And I could live without wavedashing. Yes it gave me more options, opend up approaches that I wouldnt even dream of, but thats not the point. I want l-canceling back Its just when someone calls it cheating it just strikes a nerve. Why wouldnt you use everything you knew to be better than the other person?

tocador

Smash Lord
Because it takes a total of 20-30 mins to learn, and if someone is there teaching you how to learn it could be even less. And I hate it when people call it a glitch. Its called physics people. And I could live without wavedashing. Yes it gave me more options, opend up approaches that I wouldnt even dream of, but thats not the point. I want l-canceling back Its just when someone calls it cheating it just strikes a nerve. Why wouldnt you use everything you knew to be better than the other person?

lol dude i know its physics, but it's still a glitch! I mean when the creators designed the game, this wasn't suposed to be there, it's a glitch based on the physics of the game, but still a glitch

And i know, using anything for your advantage is really what matters.

I mean what difer's a scrub from a player is that scrubs make imaginary rules if something is cheap or diferent, a common example is in SF. In the game many people considered trowing many times in a row a "cheap" act, like it was ahrd to counter and stuff. Those were the scrubs, while people who wanted to get better and win used this technique for their advantage!

So complaining about wave-gime-a-cookie, wavedash,wavelanding can be and is a scrubish act, but if this stuff were really THAT easy and fair to be in the game, why was it removed =/?

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
lol dude i know its physics, but it's still a glitch! I mean when the creators designed the game, this wasn't suposed to be there, it's a glitch based on the physics of the game, but still a glitch

And i know, using anything for your advantage is really what matters.

I mean what difer's a scrub from a player is that scrubs make imaginary rules if something is cheap or diferent, a common example is in SF. In the game many people considered trowing many times in a row a "cheap" act, like it was ahrd to counter and stuff. Those were the scrubs, while people who wanted to get better and win used this technique for their advantage!

So complaining about wave-gime-a-cookie, wavedash,wavelanding can be and is a scrubish act, but if this stuff were really THAT easy and fair to be in the game, why was it removed =/?
.....wow you know the people that made the game saw wavedashing but decided to keep it in. Even the cp players wavedash. It was removed because the developers wanted to make everyone even, give everyone a chance make everything known from the beginning.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

why do people hate so much the wii controler withought even trying it a bit?

NO!!!!

and most "smash players, typically elistist such as myself are fond and used to the Gamecube's style of play, therefore when we pick up Brawl, we find it familiar, as for the Wii sure it's fun and all, but just doesn't have the same feeling as a gamecube controller would, of course, I am not speaking for all elitists out there, this is just me.

§leepy God

Smash Master
How did this turn into a Melee vs. Brawl and competitive vs. scrubs thread?
Ever since the OP said, "No Wave Dashing" on it.

But honestly, I wouldn't want to even think of playing the Wii Remote alone, it doesn't have enough controls. I'll still stick with Wii Remote & Nunchuck, I like to swing my Remote and do Ike's Smash attacks. :D

infernovia

Smash Ace
^ no religion please.

Anyway, the advantage a wiimote offers is that shielding is instant and buttons are close to your hands so not requiring micro.

GC controller allows you more spacing options in the air with c stick I think. Also, more buttons meaning more options.

friswee

Smash Rookie
well if you just say nunchuk there is only one type of controls for brawl that uses the nunchuk. imo NO ONE USES the single wii remote esp since there is no analog stick and some people like having a jump button.

BlackaDenBlack

Smash Cadet
All I use is the Wii Remote now. I guess I forced myself to be good with it because I didn't want to just be confined to using the GC controller. If anything, the Wii Remote is not worse than the GC controller, and I use it without the nunchuck, so it's basically a regular joystick.

Top Bottom