• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gen IV: Powerhouse

IC3R

Smash Lord
It's great to pay a visit here every now and then. I'm presenting a team for the fourth generation, a team built with nothing but one item in mind: the Choice Band.

Thestalos, the Infernape
Jolly / Blaze
EVs - 252 Att, 4 Def, 252 Spd
~Flare Blitz
~Close Combat
~Thunderpunch
~U-Turn

My leader Poke and pseudo-scout; no one really expects on offensive leading Infernape, nabbing a super-effective hit on most other leads and/or their common switch-ins. Starmie and Gyarados often meet themselves with nicely-powered Thunderpunch, often nabbing the KO or getting very close to it, or I simply U-Turn for safety to a teammate who can handle them with greater ease. Flare Blitz and Close Combat offer devastating physical STAB.

Raiza, the Scizor
Adamant / Technician
EVs - 248 HP, 252 Att, 8 Spd
~U-Turn
~Bullet Punch
~Superpower
~Pursuit

My primary trapper; my Scizor is the perfect switch-in from a U-Turn, as some people foolishly Trick a Choice Scarf onto my Infernape, only to get destroyed by a CB Tech-Pursuit. Usual Bullet Punch, U-Turn, and Superpower.

Granmarg, the Tyranitar
Jolly / Sand Stream
EVs - 252 Att, 8 Def, 248 Spd
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake
~Crunch
~Pursuit

Secondary trapper, sandstreamer; Sometimes my team can't nab a much-needed KO, surviving with just a tiny amount of health. Sandstorm's residual damage is perfect for whittling down that last bit of HP. Only Heracross resists EdgeQuake and Dark moves, but it's uncommon enough to forego Aerial Ace/Fire Punch for Pursuit for trapping weak Pokemon on the run.

Dirge, the Gallade
Jolly / Steadfast
~Close Combat
~Leaf Blade
~Ice Punch
~Shadow Sneak

Swampert, Psychic, and Dragon-killer; Swampert is a common lead, next to Azelf and Aerodactyl. My Gallade wrecks the **** out of all of them. Close Combat so I have another STAB Fighting move, and Shadow Sneak provides perfect coverage alongside it, also giving me a way to outspeed and dent faster threats.

Kuraz, the Jirachi
Jolly / Serene Grace
~Iron Head
~Thunder Punch
~Fire Punch
~U-Turn

It's a Jirachi; As its description implies, this thing is supposed to piss you off while hitting you upside the head with... well, its head, or its tiny fists, or hitting and running like a gangster. My Jirachi covers nearly everything with its elemental variety, even annoying foes who would not take a lot of damage from its attacks. As my third U-Turner, Jirachi also completes a fine circuit of momentum.

Mobius, the Swampert
Adamant / Torrent
EVs - 248 HP, 252 Att, 8 Spd
~Waterfall
~Earthquake
~Avalanche
~Stone Edge

Surprise factor; I don't get why more people don't use this. It draws in Taunt like nothing else, punishing unwary users of the move with powerful STAB Waterfalls and Earthquakes. My Swampert holds perfect hard-hitting coverage by himself, has a crapton of bulk to absorb enough attacks to fall under Torrent range, boosting Waterfall enough for one last kill before Swampert goes down.

If you guys have any better suggestions for the team, feel free to share! :)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
An all Choice Band team with only two U-turners?

I think Pink Reaper might want a word with you...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not sure about luring Taunt with Swampert - since you'll rarely be sending him in as revenge, it'll be really easy to see him not gain any Leftovers recovery, and thus not be the more common mixed wall set.

ss118

Smash Master
Infernape will be terrible.
Azelf seem to like to Psychic you, while Starmie will ALWAYS Hydro Pump. I suggest a sp. defensive T-Tar starter over it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I like how nobody's pointed out that this is only 5 pokemon yet.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I thought that was so, but I was scrolling too fast and was too lazy to actually count.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I like how nobody's pointed out that this is only 5 pokemon yet.
Clearly you are not a fan of the "behind by one Pokémon from the start" gambit. It's like running a suicide lead, only without the lead.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
My team already doesn't have a lead. I just happen to have part of my 6 part stall core first in my team lineup.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Yeah, Gates. I forgot to put in my Jirachi. xD

Knew I was forgetting something... >.>

I used to have Staraptor on the team as a fourth U-Turner, but it didn't really serve much of a purpose on the team, as it was always getting killed either by attacks or (big surprise) Stealth Rock before it can do much of anything. I replaced it with Gallade, who can revenge many a Pokemon with Shadow Sneak, and destroys Waters with Leaf Blade.

I just find the sword-armed fighter to be more overall useful than the emo bird.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Fun fact: Nasty Plot MixApe sweeps this whole team after a single turn of setup.

Lets hope you're good at winning speed ties or its gg for you once Nape gets a NP in.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Fun fact: Nasty Plot MixApe sweeps this whole team after a single turn of setup.

Lets hope you're good at winning speed ties or its gg for you once Nape gets a NP in.
Maybe you could suggest something to fix this problem >.>. Otherwise your rate is mostly useless.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i think azelf would work as a revenge killer, using it over gallade, like

Azelf @ Choice Band
Levitate / Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Zen Headbutt
U-turn
Ice Punch
Explosion

or you could go with

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Pressure / Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Ice Fang
Crunch

azelf is definitely the better choice as it resists fighting attacks but aero works well as an infernape check as long as nape isn't running NP and Vacuum Wave

IC3R

Smash Lord
Also, The Real Gamer, note I have two users of priority, sandstorm, and the Ape will have Life Orb recoil all factored in. It won't be on the playing field for long.

I may try out the Azelf, M4F.

Top Bottom