• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Monogatari is pissing me off. The place I get it normally is super slow with releasing and the backup subbers I use didn't do the recaps so the numbering is off. Because of this, I never know if I've missed an episode.

That being said, Shinobu is cute. Kanbaru needs to be shown more. Hachikuji needs her own show. Haircuts suck.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Monogatari is pissing me off. The place I get it normally is super slow with releasing and the backup subbers I use didn't do the recaps so the numbering is off. Because of this, I never know if I've missed an episode.

That being said, Shinobu is cute. Kanbaru needs to be shown more. Hachikuji needs her own show. Haircuts suck.
I just skip the recaps, ain't nobody got time for dat, but I agree with everything else except for the haircuts.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Anyone else been keeping up with the new season of Monogatari?
Nobody I would trust to deliver really good translations did opt to sub this season and my Japanese is nearly non-existent; plus I am not all that excited about the franchise as a whole. So I stalled it for now, in hopes of a amazing sub group picking up the show (or to the day I will actually bother to really learn Japanese myself ;) ).
I'm not really complaining about the lack of people willing to tackle the task... it's probably one of the hardest shows to translate, since it's really wordy to begin with and has lots of plays on words and things you need the cultural background on to really get the point. These things are really hard to get across, especially if you don't have a godly translator.
Sure, I could always watch it for blond vampire lolis being cute, but that'd probably be wasting tons of potential... and I can get the first thing with shows, where I do get everything. Kind of similar how I did read the German translations of Terry Pratchett's disc world series back in the day, and they are rather funny without the puns as well... it's just that the English original offers a vastly superior experience (:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Nobody I would trust to deliver really good translations did opt to sub this season and my Japanese is nearly non-existent; plus I am not all that excited about the franchise as a whole. So I stalled it for now, in hopes of a amazing sub group picking up the show (or to the day I will actually bother to really learn Japanese myself ;) ).
I'm not really complaining about the lack of people willing to tackle the task... it's probably one of the hardest shows to translate, since it's really wordy to begin with and has lots of plays on words and things you need the cultural background on to really get the point. These things are really hard to get across, especially if you don't have a godly translator.
Sure, I could always watch it for blond vampire lolis being cute, but that'd probably be wasting tons of potential... and I can get the first thing with shows, where I do get everything. Kind of similar how I did read the German translations of Terry Pratchett's disc world series back in the day, and they are rather funny without the puns as well... it's just that the English original offers a vastly superior experience (:
Commie, Horriblesubs, and Deadfish are all doing subs of it, and none of them are particularly bad imo.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I don't think anybody of these does much more (if anything) than rip the official crunchyroll subs and makes them more pretty and add some slight editing (in commie's case). With the first monogatari season that was fine, I hear, because CR had somebody really good on the subs. This season, they didn't get the same guy again, and his replacement is said to have done a much sloppier job.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I don't think anybody of these does much more (if anything) than rip the official crunchyroll subs and makes them more pretty and add some slight editing (in commie's case). With the first monogatari season that was fine, I hear, because CR had somebody really good on the subs. This season, they didn't get the same guy again, and his replacement is said to have done a much sloppier job.
I don't use crunchyroll, but I'd have to say that's most likely false since all three are completely different translations.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm not positive, but I believe Commie and Deadfish do their own subs. I know Horriblesubs (the one I use primarily) just rips from Crunchyroll/Hulu. Commie and FFF are my second choices for subs. I'm not sure, but I THINK Commie either subs their own stuff or refines already-existing subs. Deadfish I'm not sure, but I've watched some of their subs and comments on torrent threads seem to indicate they don't just rip from streaming sites.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
So I finally finished the Attack on Titan anime early morning. I can totally see why they left the series off to the point that they did. Although the manga still continues and I outta hitch on that. Hopes for Season 2, murr! ;c;

As for the concern that Isamaya will end the manga around volume 20, while this may be characteristic of certain Shounen Jumps, I trust he knows where he's going and that the story has enough momentum. Besides, the point in the manga where the anime leaves off doesn't even give a satisfying end to the focus of the story and the ambitions of humanity (Find the Titans' origins, kill them all, take humanity back beyond the walls.)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
While I wish they would've used the manga "ending" to that section, I think it was a good spot to end on because from that point on, the focus of the story changes a bit. It becomes less of a "Kill all the titans!" and more of a "What are titans, what do they want, where do they come from, and who are they?"

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I guess you could say that. I think there's a deeper level just to the nature of the Titans altogether that has been explored. But the way they left the anime at that point seemed rushed because they knew the manga is far from over. It would just be anticlimatic not to tie up those threads at true ending.

The plot arc that the story seems to be changing for focuses more towards how those who can transform into Titans can balance their humanity, while briefly discarding it to attain their goals to a power that is extremely unbalanced towards the human characters. We know so little about how the Titans think already and there hasn't really been any progress towards uncovering their secret to the point where the anime ended. Ultimately, this contributes to the goal of eliminating the Titans, because their existence alone is not beneficial for humans to thrive past the Wall.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
You should check it out, it's one of the better shounen to come out recently, it's an anime based on 1,000 Arabian Nights.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I have like very little experience with anime, what should I start with?

I have seen and liked Akira and some Miyazaki movies. I liked Gundam Wing and DBZ as a kid.
I am really into scifi themes and philosophy and deep characters and stuff.

What should movies/ series should I watch?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285

I have seen and liked Akira and some Miyazaki movies. I liked Gundam Wing and DBZ as a kid.

You might like Gurren Lagann. Sci-fi with mechs and everything inbetween.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero

code geass as well, fits the trifecta of scifi, philosophy, and deep characters

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Interesting, stuff. Is the OP still a reliable source after all these years? Anything important missing?

I liked the Ghost in the Shell movie thing. Is the series any good?
Is Neon Genesis Evangelion any good?
How is Serial Experiments Lain?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
yo yobo

try Satoshi Kon. I like his movie Perfect Blue, and he was also the director of the 13-epi series Paranoia Agent. <-- these is more psychological than philosophical, so idk.
Bokurano is cool too, I'd give the manga a shot.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
My personal gateway anime recs:

Anything by Studio Ghibli
Summer Wars
Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Code Geass R1
Gurren Lagan
Sword Art Online

You've mentioned some interest in Serial Experiments Lain and Neon Genesis Evangellion. I've seen Rebuild of Evangellion up to the second movie and I hear Lain has some heavy, but interesting philosophical stuff. Have you ever considered Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743

Some good sci-fi anime are Darker than Black, .hack//Sign, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Summer Wars, Gurren Lagann, Trigun, Eden of the East, Higurashi, Rin, and Vexille. As for some good deep/philosophical anime I'd recommend Bakemonogatari, Baccano!, Hell Girl, Kino's Journey, Paranoia Agent, Mushishi, Moribito, and xxxHolic.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
xxxHolic's philosophical themes are only really extant early on, imo. They don't really carry on throughout the series, or at least as much as I had hoped, anyway. It's a damn shame, too. I really liked how heavy the first few episodes were.

I recommend Darker Than Black's first iteration but not its second one, Gemini of the Meteor.

Pretty cool that I'm getting a potential backlog of anime again. There's a ton of stuff that's been listed here that I haven't seen before. Thanks for the suggestions.

Smooth Criminal

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
xxxHolic's philosophical themes are only really extant early on, imo. It doesn't really carry on throughout the series, or at least as much as I had hoped, anyway.

I recommend Darker Than Black's first iteration but not its second one, Gemini of the Meteor.

Pretty cool that I'm getting a potential backlog of anime again. There's a ton of stuff that's been listed here that I haven't seen before. Thanks for the suggestions.

Smooth Criminal
Personally, I don't like xxxHolic much, I just recommended it because a lot of people tend to. As for Darker than Black I think both seasons are great, literally the only problem with season 2 is that it never explains what happened to Hei and Yin at the end.

Edit: On an unrelated note I just finished Welcome to the N.H.K., has anyone else watched this anime? I thought it was really good, it's probably the second best romance anime I've seen next to Spice and Wolf.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
Loved Spice and Wolf. Criminally underrepresented, I think.

I can't recommend Mushi-shi highly enough.

Had NHK down on my to-watch list for a while, but it had dropped off... might have to give it a go soon as I get more free time.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Don't get me started on Spice and Wolf. I love that show like I'd love my daughter if I had one.

I'm watching Darker than Black with a friend right now, we're about 6 episodes in and I'm gonna watch about another 8-ish with him today. It seems pretty cool, but it also seems unfocused for some reason I can't pinpoint.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Don't get me started on Spice and Wolf. I love that show like I'd love my daughter if I had one.

I'm watching Darker than Black with a friend right now, we're about 6 episodes in and I'm gonna watch about another 8-ish with him today. It seems pretty cool, but it also seems unfocused for some reason I can't pinpoint.
It's not so much that it's unfocused it's just that the series flows episodically, but it does have an overarching main plot.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Pretty much what deadjames said in regards to Darker Than Black being "unfocused." It doles out only a tiny fraction of the overreaching plot (sometimes nothing at all) only periodically. Things REALLY pick up towards the end (obviously), and imo it's a great climax.

Smooth Criminal

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I started watching paranoia agent because of the recent discussions

amazing, probably gonna finish it all tonight
Yeah it's a pretty good show, definitely one of the better horror anime I've seen, if you like that I'd also highly recommend Hell Girl, Perfect Blue, Higurashi, Hellsing Ultimate, Corpse Princess, and Highschool of the Dead.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's not so much that it's unfocused it's just that the series flows episodically, but it does have an overarching main plot.
Yeah that's what I'm figuring. Since it's regarded fairly well, I'm assuming it'll come together near the end.

Church NEOH

Worst Player in NEOH
Just finished Elfen Lied and holy ****. What an anime. Anyone know of any depressing animes like Elfen Lied? I wanna get real sad.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Just finished Elfen Lied and holy ****. What an anime. Anyone know of any depressing animes like Elfen Lied? I wanna get real sad.
Meh Elfen Lied was ok. If you want to get really depressed watch Angel Beats or Welcome to the N.H.K., but Elfen Lied is technically in the horror genre, if you want to see some other good horror anime see my recommendations above.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Get out of here, Angel Beats was not depressing at all. But then again, I think I'm overly harsh on shows that try to make you cry like Angel Beats, Clannad, Kanon, Anohana.

That being said, all of those made me cry. I don't remember exactly which have made me cry, but I think the following have made me cry: Clannad, Kanon, Angel Beats, Anohana, Sword Art Online (yeah **** you too, don't laugh at me), and Gurren Lagann.

Angel Beats gave me one tear during the graduation scene and that was it. Clannad had my crying my eyes out when I was marathoning it at like 2 AM. I don't remember Kanon much, so I'm not sure how bad it was for me. Sword Art Online I cried when SPOILER Kirito woke up and was looking for Asuna while he was all malnourished and ****. /SPOILER

Gurren Lagann gave me the best cry though. It wasn't a depressing cry, it was a happy cry. Imagine living in a cave all your life and deciding to finally go out one day. The moment when you see the sun for the first time and cry because it's so beautiful; that's the kind of cry I had.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Get out of here, Angel Beats was not depressing at all. But then again, I think I'm overly harsh on shows that try to make you cry like Angel Beats, Clannad, Kanon, Anohana.

That being said, all of those made me cry. I don't remember exactly which have made me cry, but I think the following have made me cry: Clannad, Kanon, Angel Beats, Anohana, Sword Art Online (yeah **** you too, don't laugh at me), and Gurren Lagann.

Angel Beats gave me one tear during the graduation scene and that was it. Clannad had my crying my eyes out when I was marathoning it at like 2 AM. I don't remember Kanon much, so I'm not sure how bad it was for me. Sword Art Online I cried when SPOILER Kirito woke up and was looking for Asuna while he was all malnourished and ****. /SPOILER

Gurren Lagann gave me the best cry though. It wasn't a depressing cry, it was a happy cry. Imagine living in a cave all your life and deciding to finally go out one day. The moment when you see the sun for the first time and cry because it's so beautiful; that's the kind of cry I had.
I think the only anime that have ever made me cry are Kino's Journey and Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike. Gurren Lagann was ok, but I've judged Gainax anime pretty harshly ever since FLCL because nothing they've made has ever been able to top that imo.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Anohana was the only one that made me shed a tear, guess that its my fav

Top Bottom