• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

xRisingForce

Smash Cadet
How about Rurouni Kenshin? It has both lighthearted elements as well as a serious psychological struggle, both implemented seamlessly in the down-to-Earth and lovable setting of Meiji-era Japan. All the elements that make a good anime: freshness of the concept art (i.e. manga), quality of the animation production, a good plot (which entails things like the setting, genre, the type of fighting or lack thereof), and good music are not just present here and minimally executed but go far beyond the call of duty.

For people that generally dislike the bubblegummy,cutesy side of anime, bring 'em onboard with Zeta Gundam. The character development and plot progression is inspired in somewhat in the same director's-own-psychology vein as Evangelion was. No paragraph can be well written enough to do this show justice. Out of the list of four above, the plot in my opinion is Zeta's most blatant forte.

As for great pseudo-professional anime reviews, check out http://ThemAnime.org. They're a favorite of mine and the site encompasses a huge amount of content. Then there's http://anime.mikomi.org, a rating/review website built on the opinions of solely the fans.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I do not know if this is for people who do not like manga (insulted forever or new manga addict, it seems), but there is a Mario series manga called "Super Mario Kun."

I have not read it; I just found out about it. It is mostly Japan-exclusive, of course. It covers "various games (such as Super Mario 64, the various Paper Mario games, et c.)." I would describe the art-style is cartoonish.

Links to where I found them:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario-Kun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario-Kun

Never mind the fact about it being from Wikipedia; it is nearly Japan-exclusive.

Sandoggg

Smash Apprentice
Dragonball (manga)
Death Note (anime)
Berserk (anime, although i should get the manga)
Kiba (anime) was pretty good
FLCL was unforgettable lol..

but yeah.. kind of small exposure for me.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Good or bad, manga or anime?

Good but overrated. There is no manga, it's based on light novels. Watch the anime, it's short. If you're into it you could find translations of the novels which go into the story a lot more.

Oh, and Berserk is hard to find because the distribution company sends out a lot of Cease and Desists, but here's one place: http://manga.getfansub.com/manga/index.php/Berserk

Although the translation, at least for the early parts, is AWFUL, give it a chance, it's pretty much the best manga.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
The bread anime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakitate!!_Japan

I've kind of fallen out of anime but this was one serise I really enjoyed, there is inly slight character development, and the plots are very simple. But you won't find yourself drowning in the sillyness that most anime present. You also end up learning quite a bit about beard through the experince as well.

I suggest it for anyone who doesn't like anime, lol.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
The bread anime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakitate!!_Japan

I've kind of fallen out of anime but this was one serise I really enjoyed, there is inly slight character development, and the plots are very simple. But you won't find yourself drowning in the sillyness that most anime present. You also end up learning quite a bit about beard through the experince as well.

I suggest it for anyone who doesn't like anime, lol.
I was suggested this through my friend.

I can't seem to find it though do you know where I can stream/torrent this anime?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Everyone watch Berserk. Then read the manga, it is the greatest thing you will ever read.

Anyone who says The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is bad doesn't deserve to live.

I need to see Ouran High School Host Club. I've wanted to for quite some time now.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I just started Pretty Face.

Yeah. Creepy. Pretty good though.
this was actually the first manga that i read

and interesting read, although the ending was a bit unexpected. Same with Mx0, which is written by the same author.

I hear he's coming out with something new soon (sequel to Pretty Face maybe).

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Everyone watch Berserk. Then read the manga, it is the greatest thing you will ever read.
Then watch the anime again.

this was actually the first manga that i read

and interesting read, although the ending was a bit unexpected. Same with Mx0, which is written by the same author.

I hear he's coming out with something new soon (sequel to Pretty Face maybe).
There better be a sequel. He left SO much hanging at the end.

Although given he has that mask it'll probably end up like Gacha Gacha 2nd capsule or whatever the hell it was called.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Then watch the anime again.

There better be a sequel. He left SO much hanging at the end.

Although given he has that mask it'll probably end up like Gacha Gacha 2nd capsule or whatever the hell it was called.
yeah that's how Mx0 went out too; abruptly ended at episode 98 :/

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
k i'm bad it was 99 then

never read/watched Rosario Vampire; worth watching/reading?
I'm not sure. I read a few chapters and kind of stopped. Not cause it was bad I just forgot to start again. I get distracted easily.

I need to get on Mahou Sensei Negima too.....

I have a LOT to catch up on.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
If no ones watched Darker Than Black, do so.

>_>;
Darker Than Black is alright, but not super great. But I think it's similar to Cowboy Bebop in a lot of ways and lot of people are always saying "ugh anime sucks so much but Cowboy Bebop was good." But I'm not sure it has the same kind of appeal.

Aesir

Smash Master
^

I thought it was enjoyable to watch personally and it really leaves things open for a second season though there probably won't be one unfortunatly lol.

I guess it just came down to a matter of preference but I felt Darker Than Black is alot better then a lot of animes being aired now. While it felt like Bebop a bit, it felt fresh.

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
I don't like Darker Than Black it's creepy:urg:
Naruto and Bleach are starting to get boring i really like them both but when will they air the last episode -_-

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I don't like Darker Than Black it's creepy:urg:
Naruto and Bleach are starting to get boring i really like them both but when will they air the last episode -_-
Don't expect either of them to end any time soon. The manga that they're based on haven't ended yet, and Shounen Jump tends to milk these things for all they're worth. Naruto and Bleach are still both raking in money, so they're going to go on for quite a while.

Unless, of course, the creator of the series decides it's time to end it, but there's really no way of knowing when that will happen.

If you want to get ahead by reading the manga, you should be able to find them online on www.onemanga.com.

If you're interested in other, similar series, I'd recommend One Piece. Either the original Japanese with subtitles or the English dub by Funimation. One Piece gets a bad rap over here, but I think that's mostly due to the horrible dub it was originally given by 4kids. In Japan, it's the most popular manga series currently running, and one of the volumes is the second best selling book ever in Japan, right after one of the Harry Potter books.

Personally, I love One Piece, and think it's far superior to either Bleach or Naruto. If you're interested in it, you can either check out that manga site I linked you to or hunt around the internet for the episodes. Unfortunately, 4kids hurt the franchise badly enough that Cartoon Network stopped airing it on television.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Kishimoto said Naruto will becoming to an end soon.
Really? I hadn't heard that, and a quick internet search doesn't find anything.

A link would be nice, if you have one.

My sister is watching One Piece she loves it but if you guys really like it then i guess i will give it a try.
Well, I personally think One Piece is amazing. It's fun from the beginning, although it takes a little while to really get up to speed. Once it does, it's incredible.

Between the fights and the humor, it's just unbelievably fun.

Top Bottom