• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I liked XIII-2. :3
I did, too. Surprisingly. If it wasn't for Hope being awesome I would not have liked it one bit.

I just wish... they took out some of the useless and redundant information fillers and actually made the game epic consistently throughout the game i.e. make the ending of the game the middle of the game.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
So, basically... you can buy additional endings and secret bosses?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So I'm playing FFXIII. And it's basically just pretty. The game plays it's self, other then the changing of roles.
Depends how far you're into the game. I felt the gameplay finally opened itself up once you get all your party members.
Up until that point, it feels like a tutorial still for a large chunk of the game.
Hate most of the characters too.
I only liked maybe a couple of the characters. I felt that XIII's character development is like most recent RPGs.
Make a character really annoying early on and make them a little more reasonable halfway through. :ohwell:

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Vanille is one of my favorite video game characters of all time. I just love everything about her. Then again, I loved Final Fantasy X-2, so I think my brain is on backwards.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Vanille is one of my favorite video game characters of all time. I just love everything about her. Then again, I loved Final Fantasy X-2, so I think my brain is on backwards.
Vanille happens to be one of my least favorite characters in XIII, probably because half the time, she tries to talk with what I think sounds like a forced, fake accent, but what do I know? I would've liked her more if she had a better voice. That said, I like Sazh and Fang.

As for X-2, don't feel bad, because I also loved that game, despite what the majority of people say about it.

...Is that OMEGA Weapon from FFVIII?
That's what I initially thought, but no. That's Valfodr, the true form of the Coliseum's Arbiter of Time. They do have Final Fantasy VIII's Pupu though, as well as Gilgamesh from V, and Ultros & Typhon from VI.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I wonder if he'll still say derpy things.
Yup, he still talks the same nonsense he did in Final Fantasy VI, and has a funny voice to match.
What? Holy crap, that's awesome. Almost insta-buy.
I know. Other ones include:

Typhon (FF6)

Pupu (FF8)

Gilgamesh (FF5)

Omega (FF5)

Also, what makes Ultros hard is that you fight him AND Typhon at the same time.

finalark

SNORLAX
BUMP

Here's the tech demo square released for their new engine. They use the Final Fantasy name quite a bit when talking about it so I'm going to assume that its the engine they'll be using for FFXV.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I can only imagine that the new engine will increase development time.

FFXV for 2020?

And we still wont have Versus XIII. :3

The new engine does look really nice though, I want to see what they can do with it.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Aaaaand, suddenly, the Wii U is looking like it can't handle anything that is next gen. I mean, with this tech demo showcased, at least Sony and Microsoft knows what it is they may need to work with when constructing their console. The Wii U, however, is looking like what the Wii should have been from the word "go".

At this rate, I don't think we'll see a main series Final Fantasy on a Nintendo console anymore. Also, I doubt we'll see a Final Fantasy XV anytime soon, seeing as they still need to work on Versus XIII, and you know a XIII-3 is coming up. Then there's fixing the myriad of problems with XIV, and I don't even know if Type-Zero is out yet. They're too backed up, as far as I can tell.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Nintendo needs to pick it up with their hardware. They're ALWAYS behind. Don't get me wrong, motion and 3D is huge, but the graphics... They're good, but nothing compared to that tech demo Square had. It looked like real actors at some points. O.O

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Nintendo needs to pick it up with their hardware. They're ALWAYS behind. Don't get me wrong, motion and 3D is huge, but the graphics... They're good, but nothing compared to that tech demo Square had. It looked like real actors at some points. O.O
I wouldn't have believed that tech demo was actual gameplay graphics had it not been for a demonstration they did behind the scenes involving changing textures, colors, sizes of object, etc. at will. It was really impressive.

That said, I know in the case of the "graphics isn't everything argument", gameplay does matter a lot, but if the Wii U can't handle the graphics of games people want to really play for next gen, then the Wii U could end up with the same problems as the Wii. I mean, we never got Final Fantasy XIII on the Wii, and I'm willing to bet that if the Wii was strong enough to handle it, we would've had XIII and XIII-2 on said console, since it's clear they made those FF titles multi-platform. Of course, now the Wii U can play XIII and XIII-2, but the games are too old to release on another console at this point (inb4 Arkham City/Mass Effect 3).

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Let's face it, guys. Graphics aren't really a priority for the Wii, and most likely from what I've seen, the Wii U either. Monster Hunter Tri probably has the best graphics of any Wii game out there. It's only slightly more impressive than what the GC was capable of.

I agree with Sol, there won't be any main FF games on Nintendo consoles. There haven't been for a while anyway, and it'll probably get the spin-offs as usual. And that's fine by me, considering I have zero interest in the Wii U.

That tech demo is gorgeous, by the way.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendo has been behind ever since the Nintendo 64 days. Disregard disks for the sake of keeping outdated cartridges? **** DVDs, go mini disks? Who needs online play and a real controller, we have flailing your arms around? Sounds like Nintendo.

And yes, I have to agree that we'll probably never see another main Final Fantasy on a Nintendo console. The Wii U is basically late to the current gen party and will probably be beaten out by whatever MS or Sony comes up with next.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The irony is that for its time, the N64 had the best graphics out of every console. The reason we didn't get Final Fantasy VII on the N64 was because it was cheaper to make large games spanning multiple discs than it was to make them on cartridges. Also, having the ability to have CG FMVs was the one thing the Playstation had over the N64.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The irony is that for its time, the N64 had the best graphics out of every console. The reason we didn't get Final Fantasy VII on the N64 was because it was cheaper to make large games spanning multiple discs than it was to make them on cartridges. Also, having the ability to have CG FMVs was the one thing the Playstation had over the N64.

Yeah, but didn't they manage to put them on the RE2 that they released for N64? Lord, that must not have been fun. But, since I was one of the kids who was lucky enough to get a 64 for Christmas after it came out, and split on a PS1 with my brother in 99, I got to experience a crap ton of good games so I could go from karate chopping everyone in Goldeneye with 1-hit KOs in 4 person multiplayer, to getting told to "Blame yourself or God" in FFTactics in a matter of minutes.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Yeah, but didn't they manage to put them on the RE2 that they released for N64? Lord, that must not have been fun. But, since I was one of the kids who was lucky enough to get a 64 for Christmas after it came out, and split on a PS1 with my brother in 99, I got to experience a crap ton of good games so I could go from karate chopping everyone in Goldeneye with 1-hit KOs in 4 person multiplayer, to getting told to "Blame yourself or God" in FFTactics in a matter of minutes.
You're right, it did have all the FMVs, and being that it's on a cartridge, loading times were lightning fast compared to a PS1 disc. The catch was that it required developers to create much larger cartridges, considering it also had all voice acting and other content that was already crammed in 2 PS1 discs. Mind you, the average N64 game was about 4-8 MB in size, while Resident Evil 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day were a wopping 64 MB, which really pushed the cartridge to its limits, and as a result, was more expensive for RE2 to port to the N64. So while yes, porting games, like Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX to the N64 were feasibly possible, the cost would be astronomical to put so much content in a cartridge as opposed to the simple and cost-friendly optical disc.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Honestly Ninty has the right idea about not focusing on graphics since pcs are moving too fast to let consoles stand a fair chance...

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Honestly Ninty has the right idea about not focusing on graphics since pcs are moving too fast to let consoles stand a fair chance...

Yeah, but a half decent graphics card alone costs more than twice as much as either a PS3 OR a 360 does. And that's no including other drivers, RAM, the PC itself, sound cards, etc. Most people don't have the insanely pricey amount of money laying around to throw into PCs.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, but a half decent graphics card alone costs more than twice as much as either a PS3 OR a 360 does. And that's no including other drivers, RAM, the PC itself, sound cards, etc. Most people don't have the insanely pricey amount of money laying around to throw into PCs.
Lies. the ~50 Dollar Cards can run stuff at more FPS than the current systems. The current systems can only do ~32fps max which is crap. As for resolution, it's rivaled/better to say the least.

Now the cards that make consoles look like dookey? Yeah they're 250+

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Goodness knows, should the PS4/720 not focus too much on graphics, it will surely give the Wii U a fair chance at competing. Of course, I'm not banking on that happening, so the Wii U's only hope is to have some beast exclusives, including those from third parties, or hope that the vast majority of third party developers create few games using the Unreal 4/Luminous Engines to save on costs. Of course, this is assuming developing games on said engines will be very expensive compared to what we have now for games.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
FFXIII-3 is being hinted in a recent interview. Surprise surprise...

I'm not excited about new FFs like I used to be, sadly.
It almost feels like when jRPG series get really popular and successful, they start to lose their charm. :ohwell:

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero

It almost feels like when jRPG series get really popular and successful, they start to lose their charm. :ohwell:
I know what you mean. Hell, getting that old nostalgia back is why I moved my PS1 up to my room. Maybe now that it's not by my PS2/PS3 and is up with my Dreamcast/64/SNES, I can finally play through FFIX.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689

FF has been popular for a long time though. :054:

I haven't been all that excited for a FF either, but Shin Megami Tensei has taken the top JRPG spot for me so who knows if a new FF announcement could excite me as much as SMT IV has. :/

Minato

穏やかじゃない
FF has been popular for a long time though. :054:

I haven't been all that excited for a FF either, but Shin Megami Tensei has taken the top JRPG spot for me so who knows if a new FF announcement could excite me as much as SMT IV has. :/
Yeah. While I guess VII was the game that made FF's popularity shoot up, IX was probably the last FF that I really looked forward too.
I did enjoy X and XII though, but I didn't buy them at launch or anything like that.

SMT is probably my favorite series at this point, but we'll see how it holds up. SMT games did change after Kouji Okada left, but at least the Persona games ended up great. I just hope SMT IV turns out just as good.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I sorta get that feeling, but I liked XIII-2 enought to be excited for XIII-3.
My feelings exactly. That said, I think the Final Fantasy series took a dive after Hironobu Sakaguchi left Square. What they need to do is stop using the same cliché character archetypes and story that Japanese audiences are so used to and try something new that could appeal to the world.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Maybe, but I really didn't care much for XII.

I didn't like playing the not-protagonist to get the not-climax of a game in which I found the battle system to be not fun.

But, you know, opinions. Everyone's got 'em.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Honestly I never saw XII's battle system to be all that different than the standard ATB system, except you can run around and it has a fairly complex autopilot system.

I prefer it over XIII, because at least I have direct control over all my allies. Actually, I really liked XII's battle system, it was surprisingly fun to grind in it imo.

But yeah, opinions. I can easily see why people would dislike XII.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Honestly I never saw XII's battle system to be all that different than the standard ATB system, except you can run around and it has a fairly complex autopilot system.

I prefer it over XIII, because at least I have direct control over all my allies. Actually, I really liked XII's battle system, it was surprisingly fun to grind in it imo.

But yeah, opinions. I can easily see why people would dislike XII.

Yeah, I've heard it was kind of easy to grind with in that game. Though I wonder...we talking "kill all the mini-Sins on the ship and wait for them to respawn mid-battle in early FFX" easy?

Top Bottom