• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i am in the pool of westballz, scar, shroomed, and tang this weekend. whew, wish me luck!

definitely practicing, and watching fly/wobbs vids from koc2 for ideas haha.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha well this is a regional, and a qualifier for evo qualifier

socal, WA, AZ, and hbox are coming

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i got 4th in the pool haha

wes, bladewise, sung, then me

i lost to sung's sheik which was disappointing but it's ok, the dude made top 8 and i'm proud of him

Tomber

Smash Journeyman
What are some of your favorite setups and lead-ins to wobbling? Wobbles seemed to make them materialize at will out of grabs, and, well, I can't.
I'll give some video examples and try to explain what I mean sometime. Wobbling setups are something quite a few ICs mains are struggling with it seems. However, knowing how to start the infinite in common scenarios is one thing. Getting grabs in more chaotic situations and being able to turn them into wobbling is what matters the most. Not hesitating is key. You should start your wobbling before your opponent realizes that he has to mash out. This is possible because you know when you'll go for the grab and therefore can react to getting the grab much faster than your opponent. Percentage doesn't really matter if you're ready for the wobbles and are able to do the right inputs instantly.

Anyway, you guys should check this out:
http://smashboards.com/threads/help-with-roadtrip-through-nevada-california-arizona.336014/

EDIT: Not the best example, but the grab I get around 2:35 in this video is kind of what I mean by turning grabs into wobbling in more chaotic situations. Also, notice at 1:25 I wait a little before I do my first pummel with Popo so that Armada is still in stun animation when Nana gets to us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2t2LJE1dx0

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
mediocre IMO i wanted to beat sung

and i lost to scar in winners

definitely learned tho

i'll get em next time

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
bladewise (peach) and azusa (peach) beat shroomed out of the pool. i didn't get a chance to play him. haha.

Sasser

solo nana
Any ICs other than me going to Zenith?
I thought about it but I'm terrible and I don't want to pay all that dough to get dunked on.

This brings me to another struggle; there are two kinds of people in this world: the kind of people who no longer wish to practice with me because I play ICs, and the people who rek me on the reg because I am terrible. I don't have easy access to the latter except when I go to tourneys, and since March I have been going once a month.

what do :c

Nintendude

Smash Hero
You can go to Zenith and not enter any events. Just play friendlies and spectate the whole time and it'll still be a worthwhile experience.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm thinking of hosting weekly/biweekly/whenever-ly ICs podcasts where some of us could get together on Skype/Mumble/etc and talk about whatever ICs stuff we feel like talking about. They'd be really informal, although it'd be nice if whichever people are participating that day could come up with some topics to discuss so that we could form a loose agenda; I could also stream it so that other people not in the talk could participate via the chat, and also so that the recording could be saved on twitch in case anybody for whatever reason feels like watching it later.

CosmoNaughtilus

Smash Apprentice
That sounds really cool Fly. Also, hello everyone, just joined the forums, and wanted to check out the IC subforums after watching Fly and Wobbles in the KoC2 sets, along with other tourneys. Can't wait to learn about these guys!

Binx

Smash Master
I'm thinking of hosting weekly/biweekly/whenever-ly ICs podcasts where some of us could get together on Skype/Mumble/etc and talk about whatever ICs stuff we feel like talking about. They'd be really informal, although it'd be nice if whichever people are participating that day could come up with some topics to discuss so that we could form a loose agenda; I could also stream it so that other people not in the talk could participate via the chat, and also so that the recording could be saved on twitch in case anybody for whatever reason feels like watching it later.

Ya I was planning on doing that a while back but could never find a good time to get people together, if you set a time I'll do my best to come on if you guys want me there.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I was waiting to see what interest there is, which has been hard since this board was in a coma for two weeks. Assuming that it's recovered by now, I might as well see what times work for people. The schedule doesn't have to be consistent, nor do the people who are participating (also in case it wasn't clear, any interested ICs player is welcome to join). With summer coming up for me, my schedule is really lenient and almost any time can work for me. The only constraint I'd like to put is that it won't go on during any other significant Melee-related stream, whether it's a noteworthy tourney stream, MIOM, or something else. For the sake of giving a possibility, I'll propose next Tuesday afternoon or evening. If that works for a decent number of people, great. If not, we can find a better time.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Whoops, forgot to mention that I had PST (GMT -7) in mind. If Tuesday and times before 6pm EST (GMT -4) aren't good for Nintendude, how would people feel about Monday, Thursday, or Friday past that time? I generally want to avoid Wednesday since that's when MIOM it occurs.

Binx

Smash Master
I have 2 finals this wed but I can try to make it tue for an hour or 2, if we do it at 6pm est thats about 9 for me.
Wed or Thur work better for me though.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
An hour or two is actually about the length I'd expect this to last, unless the participants have a boatload of things they want to talk about, so that might still work well. For anybody else interested, would Wednesday or Thursday be worse than Monday?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Oh right, I already forgot that I don't like Wednesdays. Go me. Assuming Thursday isn't okay for the time being then, I think I'll still go with Monday for the first one. We should probably start compiling topics to discuss. I personally want to talk about the neutral and OoS- games against Falcon. There are some other things I might want to talk about a little bit, so I might add more later, but I'd need to test some stuff first.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I also have a certain set from Zenith that might spur some good discussion. It wasn't on a main stream so it'll hopefully be uploaded before Monday.

CosmoNaughtilus

Smash Apprentice
Literally any day is good for me, and I'd love to listen to discussions of character match-ups and such. It'll be good to hear from the pro's of what to look out for, since I don't get a lot of chances to play with other people.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Okay, so it looks like we'll have 4-5 people, which is fine (more are still welcome if anybody else is interested). As for the time, I just noticed Binx had his EST <-> PST conversion backwards (6pm EST is 3pm PST), unless he's abroad, so I'm not sure what time he'd actually like, assuming he's able to make it. And as for topics, we've got the Falcon things I brought up and Nintendude's Zenith footage. Is there anything any other potential participants would like to add to the list?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
If not this time, at some point I think we should talk about doubles. It's amazing to me that Chu Dat is still the only ICs player (imo at least) that really nailed down ICs doubles play.

DrkRoxas

Smash Apprentice
I've been wondering a lot of stuffs about doubles too in fact, I think it may make a very substantial topic. At some point I'd like the topic of the different and most efficient grab followups ideas that work better depending on the variation of the weight class of your opponent.

EDIT: Oh and hi to you too CosmoNaughtilus welcome here, hope you have a good time.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Nice job, I'm taking some neutral game stuff from that.

So, it looks like the basic agenda for tomorrow is going to be this (in not necessarily this order):

-doubles play
-neutral and OoS games against Falcon
-the above set

This will probably be at 3pm PST. I might actually have tutor around that time (I should know by tonight), in which case I might have to delay it to 4pm or 5pm PST, but that's a worst case scenario. I'm also guessing people would like to use Skype, unless people would prefer Mumble or something else. Assuming Skype, my username on that is the same as my name here.

Binx

Smash Master
oh oops im ******** haha whatever time is fine for me, just gimme a day that isnt wed, thur i have a final from 12 and ill be home around 5pm PST

Top Bottom