• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Kage Me

Smash Ace
It's not a glitch - Popo initiates Belay and throws Nana up there, but Diddy reaches the ledge first. The same thing happens with Pikmin Chain.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I wouldn't mind if someone posted an Icy frame data thread.
Icies are like the only character board without them.
Except maybe the deader boards.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind if someone posted an Icy frame data thread.
Icies are like the only character board without them.
Except maybe the deader boards.
If anyone of use hacks our Wii I would start helping the person out with calculations on knockback growth and damage output. The only problem is that I don't fully understand hwo to calculate knockback growth and as well it's hard to actually find the full damage output from multi hit attacks as like blizzard are squall.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
There's the fact that the belay doesn't send me up at all though... D:
It did actually. It gave you the exact height that you would have gained if Nana belayed at the edge if the edgehogger's invincibility frames were down. She would have hit the opponent, failing the tether belay, but you would still get the height of a normal belay since it would have initiated the moment the tether failed even though nana still hogged the edge, giving you the exact height of the edge to grab it. The same thing happened when you were tethering while nana was sharing the ledge. The problem was that the edge was still being occupied by the opponent despite nana's failed tether belay so you were still propelled he height of the initiated normal belay but you couldn't grab the edge, resulting in your death...

Stray Element

Smash Cadet
So I had to take about a 2 week break from playing members of my crew, and I lost some of my chain grabbing skills. Now that I'm back, I cant seem to get them back due to the fact that my crew mates have not lost their over developed ability to break out of grabs super fast (once I picked up IC they learned real fast :)). Practicing on CPU's does not help very much since those matches don't have the same unpredictability that matches against my friends do.

Anyone got any tips other than just practice practice practice?

Also as long as I'm posting, often times when I de-sync my climbers, I try a forward smash with Popo, only to have them roll behind me, when I mash the c-stick in the other direction, Nana just does a f-smash the same direction that Popo did. Is there a way to make her switch, or would I be better of doing a d-smash when this happens?

Dev2000

Smash Lord
So I had to take about a 2 week break from playing members of my crew, and I lost some of my chain grabbing skills. Now that I'm back, I cant seem to get them back due to the fact that my crew mates have not lost their over developed ability to break out of grabs super fast (once I picked up IC they learned real fast :)). Practicing on CPU's does not help very much since those matches don't have the same unpredictability that matches against my friends do.

Also as long as I'm posting, often times when I de-sync my climbers, I try a forward smash with Popo, only to have them roll behind me, when I mash the c-stick in the other direction, Nana just does a f-smash the same direction that Popo did. Is there a way to make her switch, or would I be better of doing a d-smash when this happens?
The chaingrabs are nothing more than practice practice practice HARD
anyway about that de-sync thing if it keeps happening just use Dsmash That'll work

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord

I wouldn't use a forward smash unless the Opponent is being trapped by the other climber's attack, like squall or blizzard. Fsmash is very laggy at the end and if you only have nana to defend you while desynced, that is a bad situation you are in. For the chain grabbing skills, you just have to find your rhythm and learn from there. There isn't much help we can offer besides that since chain grabs often are made better through the player's muscle memory, not knowledge...

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i'm not known for my contributions to the CG comunity, but i found something that may be able to be integrated into something bigger. i found this a LOOOOOONG time ago, but only recently thought to do it deliberately. its probably pretty well known by now, but for all those new to these forums hoping to learn about ICs this may be interesting.

popo grab -> full jump (possibly double, not sure) -> bthrow -> c-stick back -> regrab

the result is similar to a fthrow -> fair but from behind. i first did it when i was trying to pull off a quick hobble. i missed the footstool and panicked. i was afraid i was going to miss the opportunity so i smashed c-stick back so i could try and get the smash. what happened was nana turned around mid-air and spiked him behind me.

like i said, not really too big, but still possibly helpful to someone.

The Yeti

Smash Cadet
I'd assume this can be found elsewhere, but i'd rather not take the time to search. :] how do you force a jump release from a grab? i saw it in a vid once, but i don't know how it's done.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
A jump release occurs in one of two ways: the opponent' feet don't touch the ground while being held, or the opponent hits a jump button while mashing buttons to break out. So to force it, you either need to grab someone at the edge of a platform or the stage, or grab a shorter character like Kirby (ICs probably I'm not sure) with a taller character, like Captain Falcon. Also, if you pummel your opponent, it will force a ground release.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
i'm not known for my contributions to the CG comunity, but i found something that may be able to be integrated into something bigger. i found this a LOOOOOONG time ago, but only recently thought to do it deliberately. its probably pretty well known by now, but for all those new to these forums hoping to learn about ICs this may be interesting.

popo grab -> full jump (possibly double, not sure) -> bthrow -> c-stick back -> regrab

the result is similar to a fthrow -> fair but from behind. i first did it when i was trying to pull off a quick hobble. i missed the footstool and panicked. i was afraid i was going to miss the opportunity so i smashed c-stick back so i could try and get the smash. what happened was nana turned around mid-air and spiked him behind me.

like i said, not really too big, but still possibly helpful to someone.
I found this awhile ago, too.
I think it's better to hit c-stick forward before the bthrow. Nana will turn around and do a fair. =P

Bellioes

Smash Lord
How come, whenever I do the Bthrow hobble, Nana always ends up jumping really high after the footstool. In the vids that Kawaii Bunny had in his IC tricks thread, they jump but Nana ends up just barely above the opponent.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Popo f-throw.
Nana grab.
Tap forward so that Popo dashes and Nana grabs.
Upon Nana's release, do a pivot grab.

...That's about as detailed as you're going to get. It all comes down to timing, but I find it's one of the easier chaingrabs. Bit unpractical in most situations, though...

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
I ended up figuring it out, but to be honest, description wasn't too helpful. I guess what I was really asking for is a detailed description of how to do a pivot grab. The key it to have Popo pass Nana,, and jerk the control stick back, then while still holding the control stick, grab. I don't know why the video didn't say that.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Its neat to know as many chain grabs as possible, but when it comes down to using them, you want to use the most effective one possible. Hobbling and alts are both effective in their own ways. Just stick to whatever one you feel more comfortable using and you'll do fine.
Personally, I prefer alternates, hobbling is too slow for me.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Yea because when I was trying it out Dthrow to Fair to -attempted- Fthrow chain grab would just seem to be the best bet although I still suck at getting the timing down.
Yea it sux it took me a day or 3 of practice back in melee (good times)
Anyway you dont have to learn everything i was like Screw it i dont like that down chain and never bothered to learn it XD

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Yea it sux it took me a day or 3 of practice back in melee (good times)
Anyway you dont have to learn everything i was like Screw it i dont like that down chain and never bothered to learn it XD
Lol wobbling or grab combos in melee? And the only chaingrab I can do well is dthrow fair, it was pretty easy, but it's not that useful to me, although I don't use the Ice Climbers much.

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
I hate olimars.....If you Squall hammer them it usualy works but if oli grabs one, he usually smashes the other..Any tips on this matchup ?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I hate olimars.....If you Squall hammer them it usualy works but if oli grabs one, he usually smashes the other..Any tips on this matchup ?
Try to stay as desynced as possible when versing Olimar. This will make him have a harder time finding a window to grab you at. Even if he grabs you while you are desynced, he'll have issues dealing with your partner.

Desynce Ice blocks, squalls (yes squalls, it's good in priority though it doesn't have a finishing hit when desynced. That's why you finish with a smash from the other climber.), and blizzards can help you a lot for this match up.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I picked up Ice Climbers to counter Falco. The matchup thread didn't help me much. What should I use to my advantage? Which chaingrab is considered easiest against him?

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
I picked up Ice Climbers to counter Falco. The matchup thread didn't help me much. What should I use to my advantage? Which chaingrab is considered easiest against him?
IB helps a lot for his lasser spam....(Didnt mean to pick up IC for Falco anyway ^_^) 2nd main ftw =3
Falco is super easy to CG. Space animals in general = easy to cG. if your lazy you can do Dthrow him only till 30% then CG him to death. Wall of Blizz kind of helps if they reflector but you can grab out of that. you win Camp battles....Do I have to go on?

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
IB helps a lot for his lasser spam....(Didnt mean to pick up IC for Falco anyway ^_^) 2nd main ftw =3
Falco is super easy to CG. Space animals in general = easy to cG. if your lazy you can do Dthrow him only till 30% then CG him to death. Wall of Blizz kind of helps if they reflector but you can grab out of that. you win Camp battles....Do I have to go on?
I'm sorry to burst your bubble but lasers go over any slightly decayed ice blocks (as in when they melt) and if the falco is laser spamming you, when are you going to find the time to desynce the ice blocks without getting shot in the middle of a desync attempt, especially since laser will hit you both at once because of the way the Ice Climbers are practically on top of each other... For falco, he just has to laser camp you and he is set...

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Well you've both effectively neutralized any advice you've given me. Can someone who knows this matchup and knows what they're talking about give me some specific advice here?

Otherwise I'll just PM Lain or someone I guess. He's the only good IC player I know of.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Well you've both effectively neutralized any advice you've given me. Can someone who knows this matchup and knows what they're talking about give me some specific advice here?

Otherwise I'll just PM Lain or someone I guess. He's the only good IC player I know of.
My advice would be to somehow get close to Falco to attack him close up since he can't grab you and has few options of defense. Unfortunately, if the Falco enjoys laser spamming to a Falco phantasm close-up, you are going to have to spam blizzard as your main approach on him to prevent him from whizzing past you onto the other side of the stage. Since he'll probably get the phantasm out after the blizzard, your going to have to do dashing Power shields to get to him through the laser storm and proceed doing this means of approach to do enough damage for a kill... Cg whenever the opportunity rises since he is easy to cg but don't spam grab, that's asking for punishment.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Why are IC's so afraid of platforms?

~Fino
You can't really chaingrab on platforms. I guess like one regrab maybe, but yeah- a ton of the metagame revolves around chaingrabs, and as far as I know, you can't really do anything to combo into a grab if you throw the opponent off a platform.

Top Bottom