• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Fino

Smash Master
You can't really chaingrab on platforms. I guess like one regrab maybe, but yeah- a ton of the metagame revolves around chaingrabs, and as far as I know, you can't really do anything to combo into a grab if you throw the opponent off a platform.
But you can chain grab on platforms.... I'm able to do bthrow to dthrow just fine.
@.@

~Fino

t3h n00b

Smash Ace

But you can chain grab on platforms.... I'm able to do bthrow to dthrow just fine.
@.@

~Fino
:O fair enough well the meager chaingrabs I know don't work on platforms really, but I guess that wouldn't be a problem for you. One thing is that a lot of characters (anyone with a sword, Snake, Bowser, etc) can abuse platforms really well. I don't know if the Ice Climbers' utilt hits through the lower platforms on Battlefield, but something like Snake's utilt or Marth's utilt/usmash would be a lot more effective.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Platforms make it easier for you to get camped. It's pretty lame. Neverrrrrrr go to Battlefield as ICs.

Teh Future

Smash Master
platforms also allow people without a second jump to land on them rather than landing on the stage and risk getting grabbed. Its not that Ice Climbers doesn't want to be on platforms, its just that other people can use them to their advantage.

As to Ice Climbers vs Falco, just watch some videos of it, Falco can't camp very well at all and is easily grabbed+ Blizzard goes through his overB move which effs up his recovery and makes it harder for him to camp.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
actually, its a combination of things. yes, the platforms make it harder to get campy opponents, and yes some CGs don't work well (why everybody only ever does dthrow i'll never know) but ICs themselves are awkward around platforms. when on platforms we're very vulnerable. our game is very ground based and mostly targeted at punishing things over us and too the sides. anything bellow us essentially will screw us (see: returning to stage after being sent up). the platforms mess with our uair/utilt/entire vertical game as power-shielding will block most of our attacks. our air game is abysmal as anyone will tell you as we lack range but have high knock-back (limiting possible combos outside of nair locks which only work once or twice). i have to disagree with bunny in that don't think battlefield is a bad stage for ICs. we still do fairly well there on average and generally manage to dominate the main platform with our awesome ground game.

(p.s. i think SV is actually a terrible stage for us tbqh)

i hope some of that helped.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I prefer FThrow to BThrow. Does this make me wierd? I just don't like DThrow. >_>

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I prefer FThrow to BThrow. Does this make me wierd? I just don't like DThrow. >_>
It really does depend on the character weight for me.
Fthrow bthrow on mediums, maybe even buffer if I really want to, lol. And bthrow dthrow on lights. But Ill do bthrow dthrow on everyone except heavies.

I think its better that you do that though, dthrow is DI-able right?

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
ok, you know how when you die and respawn if you time is just right and press b nana will ice block out of the hover thingy and popo will stay in it and remain invincible. well do any of you know exactly when your suppose to press b?

Barge

All I want is a custom title
ok, you know how when you die and respawn if you time is just right and press b nana will ice block out of the hover thingy and popo will stay in it and remain invincible. well do any of you know exactly when your suppose to press b?
Usually I just hold it and it works.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
I only have one issue as them: How does one fight effectively? I can chain grab well but when it comes to plain fighting I fail, I don't spam smashes but I have issues choosing which tilt to use in certain situation. Help is very much appreciated. :)

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I only have one issue as them: How does one fight effectively? I can chain grab well but when it comes to plain fighting I fail, I don't spam smashes but I have issues choosing which tilt to use in certain situation. Help is very much appreciated. :)
lol my speciality. for training in this particular area its important that you turn off grabs. no matter how hard you want to, keeping the grabs on will hinder you're learning of the basics. start by playing synced and then move on to desyncs. take it one step at a time.

as far as tilts go, thats just something you need to figure out on your own. practice, practice, practice is all the advice we can give you.

ElemMasterZeph92

Smash Journeyman
lol my specialty. for training in this particular area its important that you turn off grabs. no matter how hard you want to, keeping the grabs on will hinder you're learning of the basics. start by playing synced and then move on to desyncs. take it one step at a time.

as far as tilts go, that's just something you need to figure out on your own. practice, practice, practice is all the advice we can give you.
Okay, I will try to do that, Thanks :) I heard that there's some weird glitch that causes Nana to float in the air and can spam aerials, I've yet to try it though.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Okay, I will try to do that, Thanks :) I heard that there's some weird glitch that causes Nana to float in the air and can spam aerials, I've yet to try it though.
easiest way to see this is to do a tether to the ledge and jump up while nana is finishing her pulling animation. then just press down and c-stick to the side repeatedly to see nana do fairs just below the ledge.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
what is the best way to resync your self again while your off the edge. like lets say you do blizzard off stage. well when your done doing blizzard, it may look like ur synced but when you go to squall or something, you guys are not synced and you end up falling to ur doom. is the only thing to do is just wait it out and hopefully end up syncing in time or what?

Dev2000

Smash Lord
what is the best way to resync your self again while your off the edge. like lets say you do blizzard off stage. well when your done doing blizzard, it may look like ur synced but when you go to squall or something, you guys are not synced and you end up falling to ur doom. is the only thing to do is just wait it out and hopefully end up syncing in time or what?
Just dont do anything for like a half second and then double jump it works for me

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
I either wait a sec and try to jump, or I'll airdodge to see if they're synched. I hate getting gimped from them staying desynched >___>

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
nair resync. just press a and your good to go.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
If your boards get dry, someone should make a thread with a
"Sopo match up chart" ... lulz
- Hey, that's a pretty cool idea :O

Sopo Vs Falcon
50:50 ?

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
If your boards get dry, someone should make a thread with a
"Sopo match up chart" ... lulz
- Hey, that's a pretty cool idea :O

Sopo Vs Falcon
50:50 ?
If this is actually going to happen, I'd call it 60-40 Falcon, it would be higher if not for dthrow chaining him at some percents. But Falcon actually has the range advantage here, and knees and even falcon punch can easily KO after you have to land onstage with squall hammer (like starting a punch right before they land so it hits in the landing lag, I do it all the time to Bowser).

Basically, Falcon just needs to get Sopo offstage to get the stock- he can easily keep him offstage, with uair hitting all around him and recovering low almost impossible without Nana present.

Dev2000

Smash Lord
Bowsers a piece of cake , I can only get ganon when hes in the high %'s.:mad:
I am gonna tell you one more time
PRACTICE TILL YOU DROP <--- mark these words
ice climbers aint easy and they will take alot of practice to Get reaally good with em
so dont go all crazy if it doesnt work out for you in one day cause i practiced a week on ganondorf to be finally able to infinite it but i like to use that Ice block footstool thing on him cause their like WTF WHY CANT I ROLL AWAY!!? AAARRRRGGGG and that is funny as hell

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I find it's somewhat helpful to take every character to Training mode, and figure out what kind of chaingrab you like best on them. For R.O.B. I always use b-throw hobbling, f-throw hobbling for Jigglypuff, bd-throw for Ike, and SoPo d-throw to the nearest edge for Squirtle.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
How do you do an infinite foward thrown chain? I saw it being done before. And also, can it be used on all charachters?
When fthrowing with popo, make sure you are walking with Nana during the forward input and press Z when Popo makes the "eh" sound. To regrab with Popo, just grab right on the time nana throws. Works on everyone. Just varies in speed based on weight.

meepxzero

Smash Master
theres nothing wrong with their viability, its just they arent as popular as many other characters. Most people who main ic tend to actually place top 5 in each tourney surprisingly...

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
theres nothing wrong with their viability, its just they arent as popular as many other characters. Most people who main ic tend to actually place top 5 in each tourney surprisingly...
IT's not that there aren't many people playing them. If that were the case, they would only have been lowly ranked on the tournament ranking charts instead of both that and the tier list. Ranking charts are based on the number of Ice Climber wins while the tier list is based on how the character is potential is and what currently they are. The Ice Climbers have a horrible grab range, the worst I believe, and if you look at them without grabs, they are almost nothing against most of the tournament used characters. This is why they aren't that high in the list. Though their grab combos are insane, landing the grab has been the key issue as people have gotten so smart at punishing grabs missed and avoiding getting grabbed that CGing for most is more dangerous than playing normally.

The only reason why the Ice Climbers have placed in the top 5 is usually because it's either lain or Hylian (if he even uses them in tournaments anymore...). Other than a select few, most people can't even pull off a 0-death chain without messing up. If you put down the rate that you mess up in a probability and the damage you average out when you actually land the grab until you mess up or you kill and multiply that by the number of times you can land a grab on a smart player, you'll find that most don't do a higher damage rate on the opponent this way compared to the opponent's damage rate on the Ice Climbers.

Top Bottom