• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Ness discussion

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I think fair comes out too slow and can be di'd and cc'd to easily at lower percents. Maybe nair or upair?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I will play Ness vs a bad Sheik today and wait for them to space an F-tilt on my shield and see what I can come up with.

It might take a while though. A lot of them think Sheik's thigh is where the priority is and that's not true at all ._.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I space shiek's f-tilt at the tip of the foot but what do I know =/.

If Ness had a way of dealing with f-tilt the matchup would be MUCH more manageable.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
just wd away after the ftilt, i dont think yu can challenge it at all if it's spaced

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
U-smash is probably a bit too risky. You could get a yyg off of it though.

Wd'ing away just resets Ness' position... You probably just shouldn't be in that situation in the first place then. Wd away is probably the best option unless you're god and get yyg all the time.

I guess the best thing is to bait shiek and then punish her. Too bad she can camp with needles.

legion598

Smash Ace
i dont know if any of you have tried YYG OOS but is pretty hard to do in a match. If shiek Ftilts your shield WD away is good but you should be able to do a retreating Fair OOS which wont hit shiek unless she goes for a grab after the Ftilt. however, you can SH back OOS and then DJC forward with a Fair or some kind of silly trick like that

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
thats true, if you bait her doing another tilt/grab or w/e after the first ftilt you can jump back and djc foward with a fair or nair. Only problem is that it's liable to (will definitely) get cced unless theyre at high percent and yur nairing. Iono, you can play around with this tho i feel like ness'll be worse off in the long run, being in the air vs sheik sucks, and yu dont wanna have to commit to a double jump unless yur low to the ground.

reverse djc fair is pointless imo. Not only cuz its ridiculously hard but becuz it doesnt accomplish anything, and they can easily punish it if they do the whole tilt/jab thing and wait for yur response. Too much unnecessary lag.

yyg oos wud be interesting. Mofo is the only person i've seen get it with any sort of consistency.

ahhh, ness is so cool. when i start to not suck as a player im gonna try to take ness to new levels

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Don't count off reverse djc forward air. Taj is able to do that extremely well. I'm pretty sure Ness has some uses for it as well. I can do it somewhat when I practice. It's not that hard actually. Once you get down quick djc's I'm pretty sure it comes naturally.

I've never really worked on my yyg ability that much. I guess I should try it out.

Pkt can be used to juggle Luigi and Samus if you're good at aiming it. It's really helpful in those matchups. Probably works on Bowser too but who cares, it's Bowser...

Right now I'm exploring Ness sh game. I don't really use it efficiently... I rely too much on djcs.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
so does sh ac fair. =/

Oh I figured out something with the yyg today. Not really useful though. If you have a jacket equipped and then do u-smash near the ledge and hit somebody with (i think initial frames of) the up smash it'll drop the hitbox of the regular yoyo even though it's not possible for you to charge the up-smash.

I haven't been able to test this out too much cuz I have a lot of homework to do, but I was able to replicate it twice in version 1.2.

Not very useful, but hey, I discovered something. I think it was said somewhere else before though...

Pi

Smash Hero
*On brinstar, on the side platform, in a 3 man FFA*

Zer0 (ness): I think my controller is broken, it won't let me charge downsmash
knihT (samus): What? *looks at his hand motions & ness on screen* gimme
*attempts and fails at charging downsmash, tries upsmash, is unable to charge, tries fsmash, is able to charge*
knihT (ness): *hands controller to Zer0* charge upsmash
*zer0 tries, with no success*
knihT (samus): wtf, go on the top platform
*zer0 goes on the top platform, tries it some more, is able to charge*
knihT (samus): wtf...
zer0 (ness): *tries on different points of the platform, realizes:* look at the yo yo, it has to spin on the ground to charge

and that's how we realized ness sucks

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
D-smash is terrible. Why would he ever use it?

You should've realized Ness sucks when charging his yo-yos don't increase the damage or knockback they do.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
D-smash is terrible. Why would he ever use it?

You should've realized Ness sucks when charging his yo-yos don't increase the damage or knockback they do.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I just found a new aspect of the yyg, but yea, that probably was a one time glitch or something.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Nobody's been posting.

I haven't had a lot of of time to play smash recently. I've learned that

Ness v Yoshi on Dk64 is mad fun
Nair trades with gaw's up-b so you can use it to edgeguard him
I really really suck at using fair
nair combos well if the opponent di's in.
dealing with Peach's turnips is annoying.

GroovyGreenHat

Smash Cadet
After going mono-Ness at my first tourney, I can safely say that I don't like fighting Marth.
Of course, as I learn how to be less of a scrub, my views on the matter could change... Over all, I'd say that if my opponent uses Marth or Shiek, I'm changing chars.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
I love fighting marth.

And ness as your first character? You have a tough road ahead. Stick with it though!
If you need any advice, don't hesitate to ask here.

@thesage, i have like no experience vs low tiers. I usually switch characters if someone plays a low tier against my ness. If I don't I just spam bair lol.

Whenever I fair, it's generally just to occupy space in the air, in case my opponent decides to go in the air. I've been over shooting djc fair alot recently in place of dash attack, and its been working pretty well for me. You can try using fair like that.

legion598

Smash Ace
my ness is gettin better and better. Uthrow someone onto a plat and if their main strat is to tech and CC just full hop Dair them (Dair auto cancels just wait for the hit and FF with no L-cancel) and their CC turns into about 50 dmg cuz u can Dtilt reset them into a partially charged Fsmash. This was discussed recently just not in the situation ive given. Its actually very practical because if they dont CC you get an equivalent or better combo with DJC Uairs. ****IN LOVE THIS CHAR!

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
I've decided that not playing ness because his head looks monsterous on some stages is dumb, so I'm back :)
I haven't tested it but I feel like wd oos to dsmash could work, it comes out quickly enough and has those "off mah tip" properties
Idk and charging d/u-smashes so the yoyo hangs off the edge is fun when used to **** around with spacies

GroovyGreenHat

Smash Cadet
I find that DSmash is best used as a surprise attack, but I haven't used it oos much. I usually dash dance a bit, then wd back to DSmash.

DSmash is too underrated; it KOs puff at a mere 150%.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
yea i tested the backwards wd thing
doessnt work lol
or it does but its hard to hit, not worth it though
you could much easily WD> djc bair
honestly back air is all you need, ness' problem solver

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
yea back air is a godsend

i think fair is good at low levels of play, than sucks really bad at mid levels of play, than goes back to being good at high levels of play (when you just remember not to fair someone whose grounded or catching them out of things like their dashes)

dsmash does not seem like a good option ever(maybe to cover tech options actually). Uspmash on the other hand. uair ***** too, so much harder for ppl to cc if theyre expecting the fair.

kirbykaze!!!!!!

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
yea i got CC dsmashed a few times today for fairing doc
it just seems so easy to get in with
but if you space a sh fair on a shield and they cc>something you can punish that

but yea uair is too good, especially cause his head is so ****ing giant
i worked a little bit of shield pressure today with it
and hellla tech chases

Top Bottom