• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Not sure if anyone saw this tweet, but in addition to the box theory and the two slots left on the Smash Bros website, could we be only getting two more characters in the base game?
This means nothing since this card is on sale in Japan right now, so it's not just some placeholder design which can have more fighters added onto it later, which can at least be argued for the box. This is just how the card looks, so it has absolutely zero bearing on how many more newcomers we're getting at this point. People are really desperate to latch onto anything during these info droughts, aren't they?
I wouldn't call doom on Geno's chances just yet. We have basically nothing to fear at this point, and we certainly shouldn't be giving up hope just because a semi-credible leaker said something that basically amounts to nothing we didn't already know.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if anyone saw this tweet, but in addition to the box theory and the two slots left on the Smash Bros website, could we be only getting two more characters in the base game?
It's a card that is already been produced and is selling in japan right now. it's basically like a pre order. so it really means (basically) nothing. just shows everyone we know about (plus if Ken was ment to be there he would be on the right of Ryu not be in an empty spot on his left)

like others have said it actually is a hit against box theory because it proves they will sell things that don't show the full roster. since box theory assumed that everyone was supposed to fit perfectly on the box.

Last edited:

owjies

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool wasn't accurately leaked by anyone right? Imagine if K. Rool had been leaked all along. That Dedede gag would've fallen completely flat. Instead, beyond being a hilarious troll, it felt like Sakurai's way of acknowledging that fans really did will that character back to life. With the level of anticipation surrounding K. Rool, I gotta think that Sakurai and the other major decision makers must have the capability to prevent certain characters from leaking if they really want to.

With Geno's similar history of fan support, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Nintendo & Square are taking extra precautions with how they handle his reveal. If Verge does have inside info, it also sounds like Nintendo respects Square's strict policy regarding leaks, which is totally understandable. Sakurai knows people want Geno. Sakurai wants Geno. If Geno is in the base game (I think he is) you know Sakurai is going to go all out. K. Rool's reveal was amazing, and I think Geno's will be worth the wait.

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
What surprises me is a lot of people believing there’s only two characters left. Think about it, Sakurai’s a very meticulous man, and has proven this time around that he knows what the fans want. Do you really believe Sakurai would let the final reveals be Incineroar and Ken?

No offense to the fans of those two characters, but they don’t have the fan outcry like Ridley, K. Rool, and Geno do. That would be an anti-hype final reveal if they included those two and that’s it.

Nothing’s confirmed just yet, so don’t give up hope!

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Every fiber of my being would name Geno a lock if it weren't for Square Enix. But it's that company, man... As much as Geno is my most wanted, I still just cannot believe Square will do it. It also helps me from being AS disappointed if he doesn't make it...
One problem with your concern is that Square Enix already gave them the rights to Geno for SSBWiiU/3DS. From a legal perspective a costume based on the character’s likeness and the character itself is the same thing.

If the roster for Ultimate was formed when DLC was being released for the previous game, I imagine they would have negotiated the rights to both games at once. Evidence that points to this is that the same content for Cloud is returning.

So I speculate Sakurai wanted to make Geno playable for the last game, but ran into time constraints. Nintendo understandably applied pressure to Sakurai and his team to create the Switch Smash Bros early in the console’s lifespan so he had to limit Geno’s inclusion on WiiU/3DS to a Mii reskin.

I’m still optimistic that we’ll get a fully playable Geno.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I can’t really be so sure, but if you watch the latest video that papagenos put out, he makes a lot of good points about it.

TBone06

Smash Ace
One problem with your concern is that Square Enix already gave them rights for SSBWiiU/3DS. From a legal perspective a costume based on the character’s likeness and the character itself is the same thing.
I wonder if part of the deal could have been they would let Geno in the game as a playable fighter for the majority cut of the Mii Costume sales. Everyone is saying Square wouldn’t profit from having Geno in the base game (which I think is bologna) but there are so many things they could have done. Just thought that is one possibility.

domriver

Smash Lord
I wonder if part of the deal could have been they would let Geno in the game as a playable fighter for the majority cut of the Mii Costume sales. Everyone is saying Square wouldn’t profit from having Geno in the base game (which I think is bologna) but there are so many things they could have done. Just thought that is one possibility.
This sounds plausible. At the time when Nintendo was pushed priority first ( of course we know this happened) Sakurai asked for Geno rights as well I think Nintendo probably told him uh uh Cloud first Geno second. Time became an issue so we got Cloud and a Mii Costume. The negotiations that happened for Ultimate which i truly believed occurred during DLC phase with Smash 3ds/wiiu they secured the rights for that game as well. Guys Geno is in this game it all makes sense. Its alll coming together. Its now just a matter of time. Im sure Geno's reveal will be very much worth the wait.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Tried getting an SNES emulator set up to run through SMRPG again but as it turns out I'm still inexplicably terrible at getting the damn things to run on my PC lol... It's the thought that counts, right?

link2702

Smash Champion
No surprise there...lots of geno haters on the general discussion board lately...

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
Let em' hate; we shall conquer with love and faith. G E N O B A B Y!

Also, who else bought the Geno costume for Smash 4? Wondering if maybe sales for that costume played a factor at all.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Let em' hate; we shall conquer with love and faith. G E N O B A B Y!

Also, who else bought the Geno costume for Smash 4? Wondering if maybe sales for that costume played a factor at all.
I'd rather conquer by holding down Y till I see 3 stars.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
No surprise there...lots of geno haters on the general discussion board lately...
The general discussion thread is pure cancer man. I literally stopped going there because of the self entitled ego idiots around there who pretend to be hype police and tell us what to believe or not. Support threads are the best thing around here imo.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
To the people that believe we will be getting 4-6 new characters (echoes included), could I ask for your reasoning as to why? Not that I'm disagreeing because who wouldn't want that many new fighters, but I'm a little iffy on whether or not I believe it. Sakurai said at E3 "we made including every single fighter in Smash Bros history our top priority, so we hope you aren't expecting too many new challengers". And then he went on to say recently that fighter reveals are going to slow down. There are practically two months until launch, and revealing 4-6 characters (in my opinion) is not slowing down.

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman
I have one thing to say to some of the people in the thread getting doubtful...

We’ve gotten this far with no deconfirmation, why give up now? Shrug

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just noticed, the Geno thread has passed Ashley in replies! That's good to see, especially since this thread had been kinda slow for some time, but now it's starting to move at a notable pace.

Pillsbury_Soyboy

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5792-6987-8671
To the people that believe we will be getting 4-6 new characters (echoes included), could I ask for your reasoning as to why? Not that I'm disagreeing because who wouldn't want that many new fighters, but I'm a little iffy on whether or not I believe it. Sakurai said at E3 "we made including every single fighter in Smash Bros history our top priority, so we hope you aren't expecting too many new challengers". And then he went on to say recently that fighter reveals are going to slow down. There are practically two months until launch, and revealing 4-6 characters (in my opinion) is not slowing down.
I expect about 3-5 newcomers, if you include echoes because I believe that revealing just one or two newcomers + echoes in the presumed October "direct" (or whatever you want to call it) and a potential final direct (either in November or December) is underwhelming, for lack of a better word. I'd wager Incineroar and Ken are locks based on what Vergeben's said, and for there to be one more newcomer and echo along with those seems reasonable.
Edit: The additional newcomer and echo being Geno and Shadow, respectively

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I'm actually very curious as to how echoes are being counted towards the "newcomer count." I mean, yes they're new, but they're not really unique fighters. They're not even given new numbers on Smash Ultimate's website roster. I mean, it could go either way, but I want to believe echoes aren't counting towards the newcomer count really.

Edit: meant aren't, not are. changed now

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Nah, I personally think we're getting more than that. I'm pretty sure it's only shortened because that's the amount they are gonna have on the boxes/promotional material, but there is still more characters in base game. Though, you said there's 2 character slots on the Smash website? Where can I find this?
I think they're just referring to "There's two slots next to Isabelle" and assuming they aren't going to add a row. Which is kind of silly. They literally added a row when they put Isabelle in, nothing says they can't put in another except cynical fans.

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, "slowing down" is a vague term that could mean anything. It could mean that we won't get another bombshell announcement like the August Direct until November. It could just mean one character a month from here on out.

I think Sakurai's comments about "[not] too many new challengers" mostly refers to unique fighters. On that end, I expect 2-3 more. Echoes are treated as a bonus and require a fraction of the development time. As for how many echoes are left, it's anyone's guess since they have a different development cycle and can be announce multiple at a time. I think optimistically, we could be looking at 8/8 for unique/echoes in the final roster, but no more than that.

Xigger

Smash Lord
There's been some gloomy outlooks the past few days, so I decided to visit the other character threads to see how they held up before their announcements or deconfirmations, to give everyone some positive expectations.

The King K. Rool thread was also pretty gloomy before his announcement, worried about what leakers were saying and getting discouraged in general. Almost no one had any hope for the King for the Direct, especially after the Belmont leaks. Even during the Direct fans were getting sad with the Assist Trophy slaughter, and even during his fakeout reveal trailer (I love seeing that reaction though, especially as someone who wasn't fooled for a second) I don't think I've seen a happier fanbase than that thread right after the announcement. Hundreds of posts, all with insane numbers of likes and lightning-fast replies. All after 16 years of bittersweet support, game after game, all well knowing he wasn't very likely. And now they know that the King is back because of their demand, because they persevered with their support. Just like our star warrior.

"LC"_Lapen

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 6950 2675 8190
Just hopping back into long neglected account to add my hopes and dreams to once again support Geno for Smash here on the smash boards. Been pulling for our star warrior ever since Brawl and even with all of the leaks and theories and whatnot, I believe Sakurai will come through for us in what's shaping up to be my favorite Smash title ever. Let's get this show on the road!

(Also go Banjo-Kazooie)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I cannot wait til Geno is revealed so everyone can stop with the SE rep talk.

Also, any JoJo fans? I would love to see the meme of It was me, Dio. But I want Geno's face on Dio and it says.
"You were expecting another Square Rep? But it was me! GENO!!!"
Please someone make that happen...as I am not Photoshop savvy.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I just noticed, the Geno thread has passed Ashley in replies! That's good to see, especially since this thread had been kinda slow for some time, but now it's starting to move at a notable pace.
rest in peace Ashley

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so Isaac beat Geno. We got third place in the tournament, which is amazing! Congratulations to all this group that has helped our favorite star to stay alive and relevant after 20 years!

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Ok, so Isaac beat Geno. We got third place in the tournament, which is amazing! Congratulations to all this group that has helped our favorite star to stay alive and relevant after 20 years!
Oh really? Geno made it in 3rd place? That's awesome! :D I actually voted for him. Great job out there to the Isaac supporters though! They did really well!

RandomDude234

Smash Rookie
I don't care what anyone says buuuut Geno is indeed a lock. I don't believe in the leaks we currently have unless we have solid pictures and videos. Ken was indeed real due to the picture. But yeah, every "leak" plays it safe. The "leakers" will fade away once the roster comes out and no one is going to care about them. They just like to have us in the palm of their hands for trolling and their pride.

In my opinion, I see at least these characters being in..

Ken (echo)
Shadow (echo)
Steve (Minecraft)
Geno

Geno will be in. And I can't wait to see everyone's reaction whether it's going to make his fan base smile like crazy and make the haters cry about it but still buy the game regardless lol.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Let the haters cry, their tears will satisfy me as I rewatch the reveal video multiple times.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Considering the only two people that beat us were absolute juggernauts in Isaac and Banjo and Kazooie, I'd say that's pretty remarkable. I think it's a surefire sign that out of people remaining, he's one of the top in terms of popularity. Frankly, all three excel at being unique, popular and interesting. I really do hope we get all three of them.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

Also, any JoJo fans? I would love to see the meme of It was me, Dio. But I want Geno's face on Dio and it says.
I am a big fan of Jojo and can’t wait for the new series comes out, I’ve watched all the way up to Diamond is Unbreakable and I’ve already finished it months ago, but having Geno pull a stunt like that and along with a Jojo reference would be hilarious lol :laugh:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman

I approve of this Jojo meme idea. it must be done!
New Jojo is one of the many things I am looking forward to this year. and I actually read the Manga first this time so it will be interesting to come at from the angle of someone who has read it!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Let the haters cry, their tears will satisfy me as I rewatch the reveal video multiple times.
I personally can’t wait to see how the salty haters on Twitter go on a rant and rage on their keyboards if Geno makes it in, I see hate for him all the time on there and that will definitely shut them up if he’s confirmed lol :laugh:

To be honest, their salty hate only makes me want him in that much more...

Klimax

Smash Ace
Okay I had a DAMN weird dream. I woke up and my mom told me that Geno was the first reveal of the last direct was Geno I was telling her how much Sakurai is cool and suddendly i see someone hitting my window and it was Sakurai with the round of a katana I was shocked because his eyes were pure vil, he was crazy. He tried to destroy some things in my house but at the end, he just threw a pillow in my fireplace. He was with a guy who could speak French but he didn't know why Sakurai did that.
I asked Sakurai in English why he did that, I don't remember what he said but I told him "good luck for Smash Bros" because I didn't care about a pillow since we had Geno in the game.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Lots of haters on Facebook say he won’t happen too. I can’t wait to read the comments on Twitter and Facebook with stuff like ‘This guy took Waluigi’s spot lame’ :joyful:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Geno taking third in this reddit poll changes nothing for his inclusion in this game. I'm 100% certain he's in base, there're too many factors to list in his favor.
I'll be here hyping it up when he's announced in the next 2 months

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The general discussion thread is pure cancer man. I literally stopped going there because of the self entitled ego idiots around there who pretend to be hype police and tell us what to believe or not. Support threads are the best thing around here imo.
Amen a lot of them keep shutting down my theory

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Amen a lot of them keep shutting down my theory
I know your pain. Every now and then I post something that makes a lot of sense yet it gets washed by the Sea that is the Thread.

What was your theory? I think I remember reading it but cant recall. Also Geno is in base gang. Gotta believe!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I know your pain. Every now and then I post something that makes a lot of sense yet it gets washed by the Sea that is the Thread.

What was your theory? I think I remember reading it but cant recall. Also Geno is in base gang. Gotta believe!
Kind of what papa geno mentioned

The box filled in may not necessary be the full roster just like with the card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom