• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Does anyone else feel weird that at this point in the hype leading up to Ultimate that we can no longer say "I wish Ridley and K. Rool were in?" As Geno fans we have to feel good and confident that we still have 4 months to go before release and know that Sakurai has been announcing the long-time fan requests in this pattern? Knowing that he has been saving the most wanted newcomers for the end of his Directs and knowing that Geno is in that Triangle of most wanted newcomers, and that 2 of the 3 are already in, and more updates are to come has to feel good!
I mean you have to believe Sakurai is saying to himself, wait until you Geno fans who are waiting, stay tuned! It's like this thing that was so far away like a dream, is now like bam right in our face. I'll say my feeling right now is, "I expect Geno to be playable."

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Does anyone else feel weird that at this point in the hype leading up to Ultimate that we can no longer say "I wish Ridley and K. Rool were in?" As Geno fans we have to feel good and confident that we still have 4 months to go before release and know that Sakurai has been announcing the long-time fan requests in this pattern? Knowing that he has been saving the most wanted newcomers for the end of his Directs and knowing that Geno is in that Triangle of most wanted newcomers, and that 2 of the 3 are already in, and more updates are to come has to feel good!
I mean you have to believe Sakurai is saying to himself, wait until you Geno fans who are waiting, stay tuned! It's like this thing that was so far away like a dream, is now like bam right in our face. I'll say my feeling right now is, "I expect Geno to be playable."
Haiku: AGREED! HOPE, Queen Aleena, Sonia & Manic The Hedgehogs PLUS SMASH! #Haiku #NeverGiveUp #QueenAleena4SmashUltimate #Sonia4SmashUltimate #Manic4SmashUltimate #Sonic27thAnniversary #SonicManiaPlus
37376098_1615417988588006_8244880394067902464_n.png.jpg

Anyways! Hopefully, Geno better be confirmed as The New Comer of finally being Full-Playable Fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate & especially (NO JOKE)!!!!!
triforce v2.png
DRXKK3NW0AI-XXv.jpg
#BelieveInYourDreams #Geno4SmashUltimate #GOODLUCK It's time, DADDY MASAHIRO-SAKURAI SAN!

TBone06

Smash Ace
This in a nut shell. I do believe Ridley and K. Rool are more focal points in the history of Nintendo, but in regards to popularity, there is no question Geno has the most historic, tenacious fan base left of unconfirmed characters. We've already seen characters who got Mii Costumes added (K. Rool, Inkling, Chrom) plus an Assist Trophy in Dark Samus. A character who was said to never be included in Ridley, and two characters from a franchise that was huge for Nintendo. The fact that he addressed how popular Chrom and Dark Samus were when they revealed them makes me certain that this "fan service" theory that everyone has is 100% accurate. Objectively, I look at Geno as the next in line. The thing is, we're not alone. Even people who aren't fans are starting to address him as likely or the one who is next. If you look at the group "Who are the contenders for the next Big Three" you'll see that the majority of people have Geno near the top. Looking at where all the other characters are coming from, it's easy to think Geno is next.

I'm always going to be cautious, but it's so hard because I truly believe all the evidence. The more and more we see, the more likely it is that he's in. I'm really interested in seeing if BillyBo10k re-rates Geno on his "Rate Their Chances" segment on YouTube. He does a great job with them and said he'd re-rate some of the popular characters after the Direct. He previously rated him at 70% and I'd be interested to see where his head at is now.

I always like looking at the old Brawl Poll too.

King Dedede(5) - CONFIRMED!
Diddy Kong(4) - CONFIRMED!
Geno(4)
Ike(4) - CONFIRMED!
Ridley(4) - CONFIRMED!
Captain Olimar & Pikmin(3) - CONFIRMED!
Krystal(3) - AT
Takamaru(3) - AT
Windwaker Link(3) - CONFIRMED!
Animal Crossing MC(2) - CONFIRMED!
Claus(2)
Demiru(2)
Isaac(2) - Unconfirmed AT
Jeff(2) - AT
Kawasima(2) - AT
King K.Rool(2) - CONFIRMED!
Lip(2)
Lucas(2) - CONFIRMED!
Mega Man(2) - CONFIRMED!
Oguma(2)
Ouendan(2)
Sukapon(2) - AT

I love this game so much!!!

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Sakurai and Square what are waiting for smash ultimate is coming out in 4 months reveal Geno already I'm 100 percent sure he will be in the roster 2 big reasons Sakurai wanted Geno sense Brawl and Bowser Trailer has Super Mario RPG music boss theme what do that tells you.

domriver

Smash Lord
If Banjo-Kazooie is in this game he will be the last reveal to blow everyone out of the water. Geno would be revealed (if in) before. Geno would hype people up and the close with a mega-ultra-super-duper bang because Banjo would do that considering he is Microsoft property now and all that. I will not be shocked if Banjo-Kazooie (again if in) be revealed on first days of December.

On a side note I am absolutely loving the fact that Sakurai has taken extra measures to guarantee no spoilers leak out to the public. Makes the speculation harder. Now how many newcomers left? I think 4-5 unique ones are left. Echos? Well i think they may just give every single series an echo fighter.
After i saw the direct i was remembering what sakurai said during E3 " dont expect to many new challengers" then turns around in this direct BTW here is 5 characters. LOL xD

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Is there anything stopping a company from taking back the rights to their game? It seems like Sakurai was able to get everything from Smash Wii U/3DS back in terms of licensing but I am very sus on SE as a whole.

Let me make this clear, I despise SE. Everything they have done past FF7 is a joke and the level of stubborness they have shows it's ugly head when they only have 2 FF songs confirmed for Smash Ultimate. When even a company like Konami is providing a lot of stuff to work with, you know it doesn't spell any favors for SE.

It would be different if SE at least provided an explanation for why they refuse to allow Nintendo to use Geno in anything. (Smash Bros, Fortune Street, a Mario Sports game that they worked on.....)

For once, I just want this to work out. For myself, for Sakurai and for you guys. Any decisions aside from making Geno a playable character is unacceptable.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
What do you guys think of the chance's of Nintendo just straight up buying Geno's right for Smash so they can just use him whenever? It's not like Square is doing anything with Geno at the moment; I'm not a businessman but I'm sure a mutually beneficial deal could be arranged.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What do you guys think of the chance's of Nintendo just straight up buying Geno's right for Smash so they can just use him whenever? It's not like Square is doing anything with Geno at the moment; I'm not a businessman but I'm sure a mutually beneficial deal could be arranged.
Not likely. I can see them trying it after if they realize there is a big enough audience, but I can see him becoming more expensive to purchase since he has a newfound shot of relevancy.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Very unlikely. If Nintendo were going to buy Geno, it would have been better to do it before pulling him out of obscurity and putting him in Smash Ultimate, because making him more relevant will also make him more expensive.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
All I know is someone in the Mario universe will end up being killed by a sharp object. We have a precedent for this.
we're gonna have to start making a list of all the dead characters at this rate.....
maybe it's good Geno hasn't been revealed yet. being partially a nintendo character of sorts he might have been in danger of getting axed.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
we're gonna have to start making a list of all the dead characters at this rate.....
maybe it's good Geno hasn't been revealed yet. being partially a nintendo character of sorts he might have been in danger of getting axed.
Mario and Mega Man were stabbed in a pretty inconvenient place by a tail and Luigi has been thoroughly scythe’d.

domriver

Smash Lord
Very unlikely. If Nintendo were going to buy Geno, it would have been better to do it before pulling him out of obscurity and putting him in Smash Ultimate, because making him more relevant will also make him more expensive.
This is pretty much what will happen. Nintendo should have purchased Geno rights during the absence of him. Nintendo probably did not anticipate that this Geno would be so popular among older Nintendo fans. On a personal opinion if nintendo decided to revamp SMRPG i can bet you some money that it will be an easily 5 million seller. I see that. Geno if done properly and Nintendo knows how to do it could generate big time revenue. But now Geno's price tag WILL become more expensive and/or will be difficult to acquire ( assuming he is in Ultimate) from Square.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is pretty much what will happen. Nintendo should have purchased Geno rights during the absence of him. Nintendo probably did not anticipate that this Geno would be so popular among older Nintendo fans. On a personal opinion if nintendo decided to revamp SMRPG i can bet you some money that it will be an easily 5 million seller. I see that. Geno if done properly and Nintendo knows how to do it could generate big time revenue. But now Geno's price tag WILL become more expensive and/or will be difficult to acquire ( assuming he is in Ultimate) from Square.
I guess I can see it. I will say though, if they ever decide to make a SMRPG 2(Or some sort of successor), I still see Nintendo including Square on the project, specifically the Switch team at Square. I feel part of the reason Square has never used the SMRPG characters is due to that past history they had with Nintendo, and I see Nintendo feeling kinda similar, if only whenever they make an RPG involving the characters. Even then, I am pretty sure that Nintendo will have learned there listen and make it so that all original characters will fall under their possession going forward.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I feel like the Mother fan from that Robot Chicken skit right now.

"Come on Sakurai, give us Geno!"

With the knowledge that they apparently had enough development time for K.Rool and RIDLEY, Geno is definitely in.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I love everyone's enthusiasm. But I need peace of mind over SE. They aren't going to deny him as a playable character if Geno became a Mii Costume, right?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I love everyone's enthusiasm. But I need peace of mind over SE. They aren't going to deny him as a playable character if Geno became a Mii Costume, right?
I would not worry about it. When it comes to songs, it's because it's FF, something they are super protective on, and even then, Sakurai said they were pretty hands off when it came to him designing Cloud, so maybe they are really only protective of their tracks rather then how their character are represented. Perhaps it is because they actually have some trust in Sakurai, which is kinda sweet. As for costumes, Link, Samus, Fox, and Captain Falcon had Mii costumes based on them and they are still in the game, so I don't see how the two can't coexist.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I feel if it was an issue to get him in the game, they wouldn't have even let them make him a costume. I don't think the fact that Final Fantasy only has two songs in the game makes a difference either. If Square had an issue with letting Geno in, they wouldn't have let them make the costume to begin with. Considering how late in development it happened, I think it was setting his inclusion up for Ultimate. Again, only my two cents, but I really believe it.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I feel if it was an issue to get him in the game, they wouldn't have even let them make him a costume. I don't think the fact that Final Fantasy only has two songs in the game makes a difference either. If Square had an issue with letting Geno in, they wouldn't have let them make the costume to begin with. Considering how late in development it happened, I think it was setting his inclusion up for Ultimate. Again, only my two cents, but I really believe it.
^This. Don’t forget, K. Rool was a costume in Sm4sh too and his didn’t even get a special splash screen like Geno’s costume did.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
How are you holding up boys?
I'm feeling very, very positive about Geno's chances, which I've had since Ridley, but with K. Rool the positive waves have just lined up even further.
I really hope this is the time that Geno and Isaac get's their chance to shine!

I'm more worried about others, as I really feel Geno is starting to feel preeeeetty safe.
Still, nothing is said until the game's out. Keep up holding a candle out for the lovely wooden doll, Geno.

TBone06

Smash Ace
How are you holding up boys?
I'm feeling very, very positive about Geno's chances, which I've had since Ridley, but with K. Rool the positive waves have just lined up even further.
I really hope this is the time that Geno and Isaac get's their chance to shine!

I'm more worried about others, as I really feel Geno is starting to feel preeeeetty safe.
Still, nothing is said until the game's out. Keep up holding a candle out for the lovely wooden doll, Geno.
I think spirits around here are pretty high. I think everyone will agree that his chances have never been higher. Ridley and K. Rool's inclusion shows he's doing it for the fans. I think this direct just continued to strengthen his chances. Simon and K. Rool both shoot the relevancy issue in the face, so that's no longer an excuse. But this thread has been booming the last 36 hours or so. It's great!

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I really think that there is a huge chance Geno might star in the next direct! No doubt. I could see it happen, beginning with one and ending with another. Geno would make perfect sense.

Glad to hear that the spirits are high, as it should be. We know that Sakurai has been wanting Geno for as long as we do, funny enough. Now that we got Old Man yelling at Cloud in here, we might just get our favourite wooden doll. Now that my most wanted newcomer (K. Rool) is part of the game, I can lend more time and energy for other wants I got.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I do want to bring something up, and that is a trend people have noticed with these trailers. So far we have had a trend of 2 newcomers being showcased per direct, one from a newly represented series and another frrom an already represented series. First it was Inklings and Ridley, now it's the Belmont's and K.Rool. Maybe we should factor that into our predictions, as this will affect Geno, as he is apart of the Mario series, but can and could be split off into his own separate logo.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I don’t understand the fixation people have on this character. With that said I do think that he’ll be getting a spot on the roster. With all of these fan favorites getting in I think it’s inevitable, but I wanna hear why he deserves it. He was in a spin off Mario RPG game years and years ago and hasn’t been relevant since. Why does he deserve the spot I think he’ll probably be getting? That’s my opinion, I just don’t care about him. Why should I?

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I don’t understand the fixation people have on this character. With that said I do think that he’ll be getting a spot on the roster. With all of these fan favorites getting in I think it’s inevitable, but I wanna hear why he deserves it. He was in a spin off Mario RPG game years and years ago and hasn’t been relevant since. Why does he deserve the spot I think he’ll probably be getting? That’s my opinion, I just don’t care about him. Why should I?
He represents a game that introduced an RPG franchise to Mario. Yeah he's only been in one game, but Mario RPG set the stage for Paper Mario and the Mario and Luigi series. He's a unique fighter and clearly very popular over the years. I know for me, I grew up with the SNES, it's a game that brings back great memories and I know nostalgia is not a reason to include him per se, but along the lines, popularity does account for something.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Ask an older RPG fan what there first RPG was, and it is very likely that SMRPG is that game. Back in the day, the west was not a huge fan of RPG's and Square could not sell there games outside of the local market. So they got the help of Mario, a character that just by having his name on your product people will be all the more likely to buy it, and with SMRPG they ensnared the western world into experiencing RPG's and falling in love with the genre. A lot of not only Square's, but many other IP's owe some amount of there success to SMRPG and how it put in the foundation of many RPG's to come.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
A lot of it comes down to several factors. He's always been a popular character with people that like the Mario series. He is such an anomaly that doesn't really fit this Mario character archetype that he just stands out more as opposed to a character like Bowser Jr or even Waluigi. Even though it doesn't seem like it, Geno has always been a popular character. It was his cult status that got him to appear as a cameo in M&L: Superstar Saga. He may be a one time character, but it isn't like you see droves of support and fan art for characters like Mouser or Tatanga. Just look at some of the Newground videos. Some of them date back as far as 2007 with Rawest Forest being one of the most recognizable Brawl era animation for Mario RPG.

There is also just how well he can fit into Smash Bros. His moveset has a lot of flare to it and speaks for itself. I run into a lot of people who have support for another character but they can never truly vision exactly what they could do aside from 'it would be cool to have him/her'

Another note is how fond Sakurai has always been for the character. He has been on record talking about Geno since 2006. So you have that crowd of players who want to see Sakurai finally get his character.

The one thing I don't see a lot of people give credit to Super Mario RPG is how it defined the JRPG genre in the west. It was an introduction to these type of games for a lot of players and it even took steps forward to actually give us action RPGs whether they be Paper Mario or even Kingdom Hearts. Without the success and charm of this game, JRPGs might not have been able to take off in the west. So a lot of people view Geno as a symbolic character for Super Mario RPG as a whole.

His lack of being involved in other games is not his fault. It is solely on the hands of Square Enix and their overall unexplained stinginess towards the series. There was a time SE had a chance to feature Geno in a couple of spin off Mario games like Sports Mix and Fortune Street, but they instead gave us unfitting characters like Cactuar and Moogle. I guarantee if he was under the Nintendo banner, he would be in as many spin off games as a character like Waluigi.

Even if Mario is the titular character, Super Mario RPG is known more to be Geno's game. It's kind of like how 'Mario Is Missing' is for Luigi for Mansion (bad example but let's just go with that)

There is a lot of appeal for Geno for more than one way and it has been going strong and growing since around the time Melee came out. I pretty much am fully under the belief that "No character deserves a spot in Smash Bros. But with that being said, Geno deserves a spot in Smash Bros."

There is just a lot of reasons. (I think I got them all)

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Ask an older RPG fan what there first RPG was, and it is very likely that SMRPG is that game. Back in the day, the west was not a huge fan of RPG's and Square could not sell there games outside of the local market. So they got the help of Mario, a character that just by having his name on your product people will be all the more likely to buy it, and with SMRPG they ensnared the western world into experiencing RPG's and falling in love with the genre. A lot of not only Square's, but many other IP's owe some amount of there success to SMRPG and how it put in the foundation of many RPG's to come.
If that’s true, then I get it. Though most of my friends would answer Chrono trigger or Final Fantasy VII. I’ve personally never been and RPG guy, so it goes without saying that I’ve never touched SMRPG. Even if I’m not a Geno fan myself I can get behind the sheer force that people like you guys have put behind the character. So I hope he gets in, if love to pop in and see all of your lovely reactions.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If that’s true, then I get it. Though most of my friends would answer Chrono trigger or Final Fantasy VII. I’ve personally never been and RPG guy, so it goes without saying that I’ve never touched SMRPG. Even if I’m not a Geno fan myself I can get behind the sheer force that people like you guys have put behind the character. So I hope he gets in, if love to pop in and see all of your lovely reactions.
Thank you! It's nice to see people who would just like to see fans happy. It sometimes feels like Geno is the one character that everyone must have some hard opinion on(Seriously, his chance rating got ugly), so I am glad you checked in.

Okay, I was just on Isaac's thread and they brought this up for the Golden Sunseries, and I think it is a great question. We have seen two big bosses in the form of Dracula and the Rathalos, what would be a good SMRPG boss? Definitely a member of the Smithy Gang, that's for sure.

Edit: Sorry, double post. Got a little to trigger happy, my bad.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I would loooovvvvveee a stage based in Smithy Castle with Smithy, the Axem Rangers, Bowyer, Exor... and even Booster appearing like the Castlevania monsters in Dracula's Castle.

As of a big bad for the maybe real story mode, I suppose that Smithy would be the obvious choice, but the Axem Rangers would be more entertaining I think.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Okay, I was just on Isaac's thread and they brought this up for the Golden Sunseries, and I think it is a great question. We have seen two big bosses in the form of Dracula and the Rathalos, what would be a good SMRPG boss? Definitely a member of the Smithy Gang, that's for sure.

Maybe just a Bowser's Keep stage where Exor attacks you.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would loooovvvvveee a stage based in Smithy Castle with Smithy, the Axem Rangers, Bowyer, Exor... and even Booster appearing like the Castlevania monsters in Dracula's Castle.

As of a big bad for the maybe real story mode, I suppose that Smithy would be the obvious choice, but the Axem Rangers would be more entertaining I think.
Maybe just a Bowser's Keep stage where Exor attacks you.
Maybe we can have both... Sorta. It will be Bower's Keep with Exor in the background, and Exor could spit out a member or two of Smithy's Gang. He is the gateway to there lair, after all.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord

Assuming that Geno is in Ultimate (which i hope) and Square told Sakurai use everything and anything from that series. Bosses that come to mind. Exor, Yardiovich, Bowyer, Belome, Queen Valentina, Axem Rangers, Jonathan, lol almost all of them. I can see. Boomer ( he is the Knight guarding Exor i think)

I would LOVE a stage Bowser's Keep atop with Exor in the background watching.
*clears throat* if i may this down here. NEEDS TO BE A HD4K SCENE FROM ULTIMATE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom