• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Geno would be a pretty good idea to be the VGA announcement opposed to Sora. Imagine if Sora was one of the code names for Geno.

D

Deleted member

Still think has a chance. Will keep expectations in check.

We'll see.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Oh that reminds me, I'm like 90% sure Geno is DLC. Not necessarily because I'm biased either. I'm going to update my post with my reasoning because I don't see many people mentioning this so hold on.

So before the Grinch Leak came around I had a feeling that Geno might miss the base game based on the box theory going around and the fact that Verge had said the SE character might be DLC if it isn't base game.

View attachment 175661

This is Verge before the Grinch Leak was ever a thing. Verge has since clarified his stance roughly a few days ago stating that the SE character would be the first DLC.

View attachment 175662

Now I know he's only saying SE and not outright clarifying who. But if you cross his leak with another reliable leak you start to see a pattern. So let's shift focus from Verg and onto Gamexplain's Jon. For those unaware Jon was someone who was making scarily accurate "predictions"
View attachment 175667

The above is a reddit post but a quick google search will show all of these are verified. It's not in the least surprising that the gamexplain channel has inside info based on the above and how Andre from the channel by his own admission KNEW the Grinch Leak was fake.

View attachment 175668

So how does this lead to Geno? Well in the most recent video by them before the Grinch leak they discussed many things.

I have a feeling that these guys didn't want to make it look like they had more inside info so they were discussing random characters jokingly (the L block for example.) But if you look at what Jon is saying for the characters on the banner, he has either witheld info or has been outright correct. (Isaac as an assist trophy.) He even said Banjo wasn't gonna be in the base game. But what I found MOST interesting is that everyone on the channel said Geno was going to be in but John specified DLC. Check the video yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTbp_5CaDE&t=1h03m22s

We already know they have inside info, and Jon seems to have even more than anyone else. Not only does Jon say DLC but he says that DLC will start with him. This lines up directly with Verge's statement stating the first DLC will be SE.

Great post Coco! A lot of interesting findings here. I don't know much about which insiders have info and such, but you clearly put in a lot of work to come up with this post. Hopefully this is leading to something good for us!

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
ok I need to know. who owns dragon quest because I dont know if armor project is apart from them or not

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
ok I need to know. who owns dragon quest because I dont know if armor project is apart from them or not
Armor Project, Akira Toriyama, and Koichi Sugiyama are the three entities that have a hold of Dragon Quest. The former two are pretty cool, but Sugiyama is known for being a real jackass and hard to deal with, so Sakurai may have some trouble negotiating with him.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Armor Project, Akira Toriyama, and Koichi Sugiyama are the three entities that have a hold of Dragon Quest. The former two are pretty cool, but Sugiyama is known for being a real ******* and hard to deal with, so Sakurai may have some trouble negotiating with him.
Ehh only when it comes to orchestral stuff and even then that only seems to apply to America. The orchestral iterations are still in the main games outside of 11. Outside of that he doesn't seem to mind his music being in other things.

Great post Coco! A lot of interesting findings here. I don't know much about which insiders have info and such, but you clearly put in a lot of work to come up with this post. Hopefully this is leading to something good for us!
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I found a trademark for Dragon Quest that says Square Enix. I'm fine with it being owned by someone else cause it increases Geno's chances but why are people saying they don't? Am I missing something?

TBone06

Smash Ace
Does anyone have a list of Mii Costumes from Smash 4 that have been upgraded/deconfirmed? I saw an image floating around after the direct. Would any of you have it?

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
I found a trademark for Dragon Quest that says Square Enix. I'm fine with it being owned by someone else cause it increases Geno's chances but why are people saying they don't? Am I missing something?
Armor Project, Akira Toriyama, and Koichi Sugiyama are the three entities that have a hold of Dragon Quest. The former two are pretty cool, but Sugiyama is known for being a real ******* and hard to deal with, so Sakurai may have some trouble negotiating with him.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Square Enix has exclusive publishing rights but Yuji Horii (The creator) has the final say on anything involving Dragon Quest. That's why until DQ 10 , most games were not made by SE but rather outsourced to other places. (Heartbeat, Level 5, etc.) Now everything is done in house. Basically if Yuji Horri wanted to leave with DQ he totally could. And SE couldn't do a thing about it. That's why DQ has stayed consistent this whole time.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Yeah, but he/she still haven't paid yet. If you don't like it, your way of protesting is to not buy the game. Nobody is pointing a gun at us forcing us to buy it.
You know, for all of us, if we got dissappointed, it was just our fault for overflowing our hype. Sakurai just stated some facts that he followed. Everything else was pure fandom. So if you are calling calling him hypocrite and wishing to step aside for not fulfilling your hype, despite giving us 74 characters (that, as you may know, has to be a freaking hell to balance all of them), a lot of stages, so freaking many music tracks, a whole new adventure mode and many things more, working so hard as a team...then no, something is wrong with you, not Sakurai.
They're not allowed to complain about it online? That's literally how Ridley and Rool got in the game.

And no; no one was overexpecting anything. Piranha plant is so far below the bar it's pitiful.

This was a reasonable, and frank bare minimum expectation for the Direct: Ken, Incineroar and one character that people actually requested; this was below bare minimum for me.

idgaf how much work he does cause time and time again he proves he's capable of undoing it with one false swoop, and I don't want to put everything on the guy (and we shouldn't praise him like he's solely responsible for the franchise) cause there are a lot of hands in this.

Whoever decided on the plant was on Super Mushrooms.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
yea based on how the community already reacts to anime-esque sword users, i cant imagine good reception for sora at the vga of all things being positive. we'll see whos announced and how its recieved soon enough though

Dan

Smash Lord
yea based on how the community already reacts to anime-esque sword users, i cant imagine good reception for sora at the vga of all things being positive. we'll see whos announced and how its recieved soon enough though
I just watched PapaGenos' latest video and am scared to death the final DLC is gonna be Lloyd, Katalina, Steve, a Dragon Quest character... Smash used to be like playing Saturday morning cartoons, but now it's over-saturated with boring anime sword users; Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite franchises and I have no strong desire to see Sora in the game.

And I actually feel like the majority of people enjoy these types of characters, and that a Sora reveal would go over well.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Actually the thing that makes me confident about Geno being the Square Enix is the fact that the SE rep is probably going to be the first character announced. Why would they announce Sora as the first DLC ? The game will still be fresh in everyone's mind, so that's not a good idea. If you want to announce Sora, you gotta do it to give the game some kind of a second wind. The first DLC is something that you do to thank the community (just like they did with Mewtwo), then, when people talk less and less about the game, you announce a huge well known character in order to revitalize the hype.

So that's why I think that if the Square Enix rep is the first announced DLC, it's going to be Geno and not Sora, because it makes more sense. Now, we know that what makes more sense is not always what Sakurai decides to do. But hey, at least, that's exactly what they did with Smash 4 DLC.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I just watched PapaGenos' latest video and am scared to death the final DLC is gonna be Lloyd, Katalina, Steve, a Dragon Quest character... Smash used to be like playing Saturday morning cartoons, but now it's over-saturated with boring anime sword users; Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite franchises and I have no strong desire to see Sora in the game.

And I actually feel like the majority of people enjoy these types of characters, and that a Sora reveal would go over well.
I have never played Kingdom Hearts ever, but even I can understand that a Sora reveal would be huge. Obviously if it meant no Geno I'd be crushed. But on its own, I can appreciate the fact that Kingdom Hearts is a massive franchise, and if they were able to get Sora, then it would be a big deal.

That being said, everyone knows the legal battles that it would take to get Sora into Smash. The same thing kind of applies to a DQ character (to a lesser extent of course). I think the post that Vergeben made is being blown out of proportion. If I'm not mistaken, didn't he say he only backed the Square character and not Steve and a Granblue character?

Geno would be the easiest of any of the characters to make playable. People have to remember that. Also, we don't know much else.
Cross those bridges when we get there! It's hard, but ride the wave.

Dan

Smash Lord
Actually the thing that makes me confident about Geno being the Square Enix is the fact that the SE rep is probably going to be the first character announced. Why would they announce Sora as the first DLC ? The game will still be fresh in everyone's mind, so that's not a good idea. If you want to announce Sora, you gotta do it to give the game some kind of a second wind. The first DLC is something that you do to thank the community (just like they did with Mewtwo), then, when people talk less and less about the game, you announce a huge well known character in order to revitalize the hype.

So that's why I think that if the Square Enix rep is the first announced DLC, it's going to be Geno and not Sora, because it makes more sense. Now, we know that what makes more sense is not always what Sakurai decides to do. But hey, at least, that's exactly what they did with Smash 4 DLC.
Because KH3 is coming out in January.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I forgot about Kingdom Hearts 3 coming out in January.
But I think that someone said that having the game on Switch is highly unlikely for many reasons.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai is Sakurai so yes Geno could be in, but Sita, Minecraft Rep, and Granblue character are possible too.

So let’s see what happens Geno does have a huge chance though don’t give up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Smash Lord
But I think that someone said that having the game on Switch is highly unlikely for many reasons.
Yeah, but just mutual cross-promotion 'n stuff.

I don't think the Switch's hardware could handle a fraction of the game; it struggles to process 360 ports.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
the release date wasnt finalized until a while after dlc characters were finalized, and its impossible for the switch to run kh3

Dan

Smash Lord
the release date wasnt finalized until a while after dlc characters were finalized, and its impossible for the switch to run kh3
To be fair they had to have some type of window, and had maybe even been running on 2018.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
A Sora announcement in December would actually be a relatively bad business move on Square’s part. The average consumer wouldn’t understand that the Switch can’t run KH3, and might even come to the erroneus conclusion that “if Sora’s in Smash, that means that I should wait for the ‘inevitable’ Switch version of KH3, and not buy it on PS4/X1 like I planned to.”

Sora in Smash is something that you announce after KH3 has been out for a couple months and everyone interested has already bought it, not before release when it has a chance to legitimately impact sales of your upcoming game that isn’t actually releasing on the same platform.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Out of a lot of things going for Geno as SE DLC atm, I think a good thing to note is the fact Sakurai would be choosing the rep from Square, not Square doing it themselves. Remember how it was like that with Cloud? I'd think he'd do same here, and considering he's wanted Geno in the past, I wouldn't think he'd pass up the opportunity to do so now, especially since this would be a way to please the fans more unlike last time when it was just a Mii costume.

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
Not to mention that as mentioned before, in 2015 (when the roster got decided by the looks of things) KH3 was merely speculated iirc. It would be a better move for Sakurai to save Sora for a Season 2 pass.

Laszyking456

Smash Apprentice
If you think Sora will get those people angry just imagine dragon quest. The artist is the one that works on Dragon ball. They will get pissed if he is added lol.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Dude Vergeben said from what he's hearing the SE character may be the first in the DLC pass! we may have the least to wait of everyone! still a wait. but hey once the game is actually out I'm gonna be chill just enjoying it. probably get the plant something like february or march. and maybe come summer next year we'll finally know if Geno is in fact the one getting in. despite everything things still don't look that bad for us. even if we're waiting for DLC.

and I'm fine waiting. I got 3 of my other highly requested characters to enjoy in the meantime along with all the rest of this awesome content!

Dan

Smash Lord
Not according to Sakurai in regards to the Rex Mii costume. He said Rex was too late for the window.
KH3 was announced in 2013, and it doesn't matter; everyone knew the game was being developed, and even if there wasn't a KH3, Sora has existed for 16 years.

Not to mention that as mentioned before, in 2015 (when the roster got decided by the looks of things) KH3 was merely speculated iirc. It would be a better move for Sakurai to save Sora for a Season 2 pass.
E3 2013; yeah, that's how long people have been waiting for this game, not to mention the decade of useless spinoffs between.

Graf von Tirol

Smash Cadet
If you think Sora will get those people angry just imagine dragon quest. The artist is the one that works on Dragon ball. They will get pissed if he is added lol.
Speaking of Toriyama, I wouldn't be pissed if Crono turns out to be the one. Then again I won't be pissed at anything (just disappointed), but a Chrono Trigger rep would still be welcome

TBone06

Smash Ace
Square is blessed with a lot of great characters whether they are owned by them or are just in Square published games. It is possible we could get multiple Square related characters whether it includes Geno or not. We got two new Castlevania reps. So I wouldn’t rule it out completely.

Dan

Smash Lord
Geno has so many amazing and unique moves that I wouldn't even be willing to accept Mii Gunner as a substitute; they should've just made Geno instead of Mii Gunner and Isaac instead of Sword fighter and have the Mii just be something else: like it would still look like your Mii, but it could take moves from tennis, bowling, golf, etc.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hey all! Last time I was in this thread I made a long ramble about what it was like being in the Melee speculation period and seeing the support for Geno in it's infancy. As an Elma fan who was desperately hoping for base and is now looking towards DLC, I wanted to extend my hopes to all of you that your puppet makes it in. I know a lot of people who would be very happy to see him finally succeed, and I'm hopeful for you guys that this is his time.

Keep your heads up, everyone. All of us Smash fans are in it together.

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I would be glad if the SE rep came first out of that bundle of DLC. It would be a quick rip off of the band-aid if Geno isn't in and be a wonderful gift if he is. For now, I think i'll cool a bit on the speculation and just enjoy the immensity of this game when it releases for awhile and the community with it. When the game is out I figure the wait on DLC won't be as agonizing as it is now, since we don't even have the game to enjoy while we wait.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Geno has so many amazing and unique moves that I wouldn't even be willing to accept Mii Gunner as a substitute; they should've just made Geno instead of Mii Gunner and Isaac instead of Sword fighter and have the Mii just be something else: like it would still look like your Mii, but it could take moves from tennis, bowling, golf, etc.
I really wish this was how they functioned. Heck, I'd actually prefer something similar to Villagers alts where they have preset faces. The Miis could have pulled from their own games for a moveset. The way they're represented is more true to the spirit of Miis though.

Dan

Smash Lord
Hey all! Last time I was in this thread I made a long ramble about what it was like being in the Melee speculation period and seeing the support for Geno in it's infancy. As an Elma fan who was desperately hoping for base and is now looking towards DLC, I wanted to extend my hopes to all of you that your puppet makes it in. I know a lot of people who would be very happy to see him finally succeed, and I'm hopeful for you guys that this is his time.

Keep your heads up, everyone. All of us Smash fans are in it together.
Melee speculation? On the internet?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to look it up and Chrono Trigger is now owned by Armor Project too. They completely bought the rights from Square Enix in 2011. Geeze, what iconic Square Enix series actually belong to Square Enix aside from Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider?

Dan Dan Smashboards was founded in 2001.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom