• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Was Wario World on GCN any good? I've been buying games lately from my childhood that I only rented (like Star Fox Adventures), and that might have to be next.
It's underwhelming. Not a bad game by any means but definitely wasn't worth $60 when it came out. Even if you're totally clueless, beating the game, even 100% ing it, in 2 to 3 sittings isn't hard.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Erdrick (c'mon, his fans have already been strung along this whole spec. cycle)
To be honest I truly don’t give a **** about that. We’ve been strung along for 13 years so I’m not going to feel bad that a fanbase that essentially didn’t exist (as far as smash goes) up until a year ago got strung along by self important leakers for a few months

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
To be honest I truly don’t give a **** about that. We’ve been strung along for 13 years so I’m not going to feel bad that a fanbase that essentially didn’t exist (as far as smash goes) up until a year ago got strung along by self proclaimed leakers for a few months
I'm just a very sympathetic soul and know that some genuine DQ fans have been hoping to see DQ in Smash for a long, long time, too. I personally have to disagree. I know how it's like to have your heart shattered over your most wanted, and it's never a fun feeling, not one I'd wish on anyone. It seriously sucks. That said, it does also suck that a character you've been campaigning for years for gets shafted for something else again and again. I just want Geno to finally have his day, heck, even if it isn't in Smash. We all just want to see our favorite boy come back.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I highly doubt that Erdrick wasn't requested only a year ago. The guy's an extremely popular option as is. It was probably at least 3 years ago minimum, after seeing Cloud. Meaning FF can get in.

Dragon Quest is a massively popular franchise, and people wanting a character is still a strong request. The main requests for Erdrick are obviously from Japan, but the requests for a general Hero is far more worldwide.

Also, that's silly to try and compare the "waiting game". It really doesn't matter who waited longer. It doesn't work that way for how we get a character. We get a character based upon other factors, like actual requests(via the ballot, where requests mattered more), the actual companies being interested in licensing out a character, and things like "will this character sell" can be a factor too. Nothing that's simple.

I mean, I like Geno more than Erdrick by far too. That doesn't mean one is more likely than the other. Geno's only real advantage is being more known worldwide in comparison, but that's... it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I highly doubt that Erdrick wasn't requested only a year ago. The guy's an extremely popular option as is. It was probably at least 3 years ago minimum, after seeing Cloud. Meaning FF can get in.

Dragon Quest is a massively popular franchise, and people wanting a character is still a strong request. The main requests for Erdrick are obviously from Japan, but the requests for a general Hero is far more worldwide.

Also, that's silly to try and compare the "waiting game". It really doesn't matter who waited longer. It doesn't work that way for how we get a character. We get a character based upon other factors, like actual requests(via the ballot, where requests mattered more), the actual companies being interested in licensing out a character, and things like "will this character sell" can be a factor too. Nothing that's simple.

I mean, I like Geno more than Erdrick by far too. That doesn't mean one is more likely than the other. Geno's only real advantage is being more known worldwide in comparison, but that's... it.
While I don't doubt Erdrick was requested, I always got the feeling that there was other DQ character more wanted than him pre leaks.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
While I don't doubt Erdrick was requested, I always got the feeling that there was other DQ character more wanted than him pre leaks.
I'd have to peg Madason for that. I think he's got a lot more worldwide appeal. He's recognized in the West and a big deal in the East, even if not as much as Erdrick for the latter. Eight is more of a Western DQ pick, whereas Erdrick is a more Eastern pick. Madason feels like a happy medium.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

I didn’t say DQ isn’t popular.

I didn’t indicate Geno deserving to be in more because he waited longer.

I’m stating my personal opinion that I won’t give a **** about his fanbase if the character isn’t in. Simple as that.

D

Deleted member

Wario Land is where Wario truly belongs.

Maybe when Sakurai finally resigns from Smash, Wario Land will get the respect it truly deserves.
Indeed. Wario Land truly embodies Wario as a character, crazy and weird, but still a thought Greedy Treasure Hunter willing to do anything for some valuable stuff. Not the WarioWare Wario who is just some smelly lazy guy who was practically shoehorned into the series because they needed a recognazible Nintendo character to sell the game.

I love the WarioWare games, but the worst thing about it is well..........Wario himself. It's like if you put Waluigi as Rhythm Heaven's Main Character.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd have to peg Madason for that. I think he's got a lot more worldwide appeal. He's recognized in the West and a big deal in the East, even if not as much as Erdrick for the latter. Eight is more of a Western DQ pick, whereas Erdrick is a more Eastern pick. Madason feels like a happy medium.
Yeah, that and the Slime. In the end, it felt like there was less of a specific want and more of desire for a general Dragon Quest character. I think that is where a bit of my frustrations when it comes to Erdrick comes from honestly. I wouldn't lash out the Dragon Quest fan bade of course, but I won't lie when I say I would be a bit disappointed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I’m stating my personal opinion that I won’t give a **** about his fanbase if the character isn’t in. Simple as that.
That's fair.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My only real hangup when it comes to Erdrick vs. Geno is that Erdrick still has a lot of other stuff. He has legacy and relevancy, coupled with lots of love from his own creators. Geno... has none of that. I guess it's more of Erdrick having his cake and eating it, too, without sharing even a slice with Geno, y'know? We just want our boy to have something, too, like a proper revival. A lazy PNG and a bootleg version of our favorite as a Mii costume... isn't that. I'm not bitter about Erdrick or DQ himself for that, let alone his fans, but bitter at just the situation as a whole (ok, and at SE, let's be real).

It's so frustrating. We just want Geno to have a bigger role again. That's literally all we want, yet despite the following and the love that he and Mallow have, SE doesn't give a damn. Nintendo seems to, but it hasn't amounted to much. Maybe it would have if Geno and Mallow were first parties, so... again, it's all SE in my eyes. They're the ones who own them and are sitting on their rights while doing nothing with them. I know I'm horribly bitter and biased, but god, before I was even a fan of Geno and Mallow, I already didn't like SE. This just makes me outright loathe them, and I acknowledge that this being what pushes it over the edge for me is... rather petty.

I wish I could put my ideas for Geno and Mallow into action. I have a LOT of ideas for them. I didn't want to spill the beans, but since I can't feasibly do this, well... I wanted to make a large fan-comic adventure of sorts for them. I wanted to go into depth on Geno's, well, everything, as well as Mallow's ventures as a prince and how he's adapting. It'd eventually become this grand adventure with an end goal, something I'd rather not go into, just in case I can manage to make it come to fruition... but I doubt it. I'm only one woman with a truck load of anxiety and issues. The ideas I have would require years and years of hard work, and it'd be so insurmountable.

Basically, uh, if anyone wants a writer for a fan game or something with this concept, I'll happily be your gal. Haha...

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Kind of hard to watch the Banjo fanbase right now. A lot of them seem to be tying themselves up in knots with anxiety. Been there plenty o'times.
Yeah, I'm staying optimistic, but I can't help but be pretty nervous. Banjo's my only most wanted that I feel has a chance, so if he doesn't make it, that's going to suck serious peanuts for me. Some of the fans are especially messed up with what's going on now, though, and... I can't really say I blame them.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Madason's game didn't really come here until the DS remake many years later. so he's not really wanted here as much as one would believe. Where as 2 of the 3 versions of Erdrick's game did come here.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
How would you guys feel about a Banjo, Erdrick, Steve, Master Chief finale? I could live with that.
I would be absolutely livid

Microsoft does not need three characters in this game and Erdrick is such a creatively bankrupt concept for an addition that it hardly makes any sense at all to include over someone with the potential to actually be unique

Outside of Smash Bros, Halo and Minecraft are almost certainly my most played series/games of all time. I've spent countless thousands of hours in both and some of my fondest memories and friendships come from each game's multiplayer

That being said

Neither of them have any business being in my 90s cereal mascot fighting game. I would regret my fighters pass purchase in this scenario

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I kind of feel like I'm suppressing a lot of emotion for a Banjo reveal because it would be a really big deal for me personally. Probably beaten the original and Tooie 100% half a dozen times each. Nintendo selling RARE to Microsoft was devastating. Banjo Threeie getting canned was even worse. Nuts N Bolts... is self explanatory. I was a huge Banjo fan and Banjo Tooie is still in my top 10 to this day. Despite the signs, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check because it's definitely a fanbase that has a long history of getting gut wrenching news.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Welp, Sabi got C&D'd by Nintendo, so she won't be able to leak anything regarding Nintendo at all anymore. We'll probably never know what becomes of that Geno rumor now unless it somehow comes to fruition.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Welp, Sabi got C&D'd by Nintendo, so she won't be able to leak anything regarding Nintendo at all anymore. We'll probably never know what becomes of that Geno rumor now unless it somehow comes to fruition.
Just gotta believe gang. Something big is coming.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Well I guess we just have to wait until Tuesday to be disappointed like everyone else

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just saw. Yeah, I was getting kind of worried because she was leaking a ton of info from other conferences today in her fan Discord. Guess there was a mole from Nintendo in the group.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
To be honest I truly don’t give a **** about that. We’ve been strung along for 13 years so I’m not going to feel bad that a fanbase that essentially didn’t exist (as far as smash goes) up until a year ago got strung along by self important leakers for a few months

I consider myself a pretty compassionate/empathetic person, but yeah this is it for me too. I really don't care if DQ fans want their guy in and have for awhile. So have we. So have lots of other fanbases. That's how it goes sometimes. You just get over it and campaign and vote in polls and hope the character makes it into the next game. I'm not going to somehow be happy with Erdrick getting in over Geno just because some random people on the internet want him.

People have only been more vocal about the character since the Vergeben leaks and even then he's still not ranking significantly on any polls. He wasn't beforehand either. More people in Japan request Sora, Geno, and Chrono. Even slime gets more votes. No franchise/character "deserves" to be in Smash over any other. That's never been how Sakurai has picked characters before.

Yeah, Polar is screwed which really sucks. The whole leaking literally everything significant before a conference even happens so publicly was inevitably going to get attention. And her saying explicitly that she would leak the direct most definitely got Nintendo's attention after everything she said was right. If anything this is more a sign that she has had legit sources at Nintendo and elsewhere than anything. Moreso than any of the attentionhungry leakers like Xenother, Hitagi, and Verge. I actually now wonder if her inside person at Nintendo got caught in this as well considering they have her name now.

Oh wow actually now thinking about it if Sabi got caught they're most definitely going to be shutting Vergeben down as well considering all the stuff he's been leaking. I don't see how they couldn't get his information as well. If they don't shut him down after this then something is definitely sketch.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Just saw. Yeah, I was getting kind of worried because she was leaking a ton of info from other conferences today in her fan Discord. Guess there was a mole from Nintendo in the group.
Yeah, that was the fear I was getting while at work and seeing all the info she was getting out there on twitter.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Thing is, it's not just Sabi.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I think Nintendo might have been gathering this sort of info for a while.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well ****, I hate to hear Sabi attracted that kind of attention to get the Nintendo ninjas on her. I didn’t expect that, but I guess there is a price to leaking stuff with such clarity and might also explain why other leaders are much more hesitant to leak too much or explain too much.

Also, as awful as it is for her to have received a serious cease and desist from Nintendo... of course it happens while people are about to lose their minds with the next character reveal and were counting on her leak to show up before the Direct. The universe has a wonderful sense of humor.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
People have only been more vocal about the character since the Vergeben leaks and even then he's still not ranking significantly on any polls. He wasn't beforehand either. More people in Japan request Sora, Geno, and Chrono. Even slime gets more votes. No franchise/character "deserves" to be in Smash over any other. That's never been how Sakurai has picked characters before.
Exactly. Things just aren't as simple in that regard. It's why I'm empathetic to other fanbases on my own. We all have our things to deal with.

Dan

Smash Lord
It's 2019; honestly, just let stuff leak. I admire the transparency of the Star Wars Battlefront reddit: every once in a while a community manager will go on and share WIP models of upcoming characters, info on new modes and concept art of upcoming maps... it just gets people excited. I know there's a danger in doing this incase something changes, but everything for Smash is such a secret, and then if Tuesday comes and it's another FE character or Steve, people will be less salty.

Maybe I'm just impatient. :p

Neither of them have any business being in my 90s cereal mascot fighting game. I would regret my fighters pass purchase in this scenario
That's how I feel, but they've blown it absolutely open with the "any video game character" concept (something I never agreed with pretty much since Cloud [a character I like mind you]) - you look at Joker or the over-saturation of FE characters; I like Master Chief though (not Steve). He's just old enough, but doesn't exactly fit the tone of Smash for me, but that is where the series is headed - he's the final frontier imo.

Anytime I tell someone irl Erdrick is going to be in the game, the response is always "Who?"

Just give me Banjo and Geno and I should be fine; I'm actually curious if both them make it if I'll be content or if I'll jump ship to Dixie Kong or something.

It's underwhelming. Not a bad game by any means but definitely wasn't worth $60 when it came out. Even if you're totally clueless, beating the game, even 100% ing it, in 2 to 3 sittings isn't hard.
It kinda sounds like the aforementioned Star Fox Adventures: well-made but boring.

I guess I made the right call as a child renting both... ah, back when people still used to rent games.

That's what happened to the Chorus Kids: a literal "Who?" character that somehow still has relevancy only because of Gematsu; that's like if Wii Fit Trainer got leaked but cut and there was a community for her, lol.

Oh,

I see you're a Woman of Culture as well. There's not enough Wario Land in this world.
Why the **** did you already get rid of Mr. Salt?

You are no longer a man of culture.

D

Deleted member

Why the **** did you already get rid of Mr. Salt?

You are no longer a man of culture.
Because im no longer salty (get it? salty because there was no Banjo stuff shown today, lol sorry)

But if The Smash DLC character is a FE character im bringing it back, promise (but if it's Banjo im going to have to use an anime girl as an avatar because of a bet i did)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think I am going to try my best to check out of Smash leaks until the Direct on Tuesday. Honestly seems like an impossible task, but I try my best. See you guys in a couple days.

link2702

Smash Champion
hmm....wonder what it was that got sabi that c&d...?

I have to take back what I said several months ago about her when I told everyone to not trust a "I have a friend who works for nintendo" type of leaker as those types of things just reek of attention seeking trolls. Even though she did have support from several folks here, I always kept that main shred of doubt there just because that sounded so much like a kids typical response trying to impress their friends.

Maybe she should have been a bit more cautious with how frequently she posted stuff I guess. Oh well. We've literally got just 2 days before we finally can either scream and jump for joy, or finally get the deconfirm, come to terms with the disappointment and move on, but we'll at least be out of this limbo that we're currently in.

.....unless they only reveal one character and it's not the SE one. But hey, if it turns out it's banjo at least I can live with it, and it would make the even longer wait for the SE character reveal more bearable.

So since she goes by polarpanda here, guess I'll say it here in case she checks the site again. Sorry I doubted you, Seems you really did have an inside source...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sabi's actions today we're really out of character... She was literally leaking entire conferences on her fan Discord that has hundreds of members. I don't get it. She's been pretty careful up until today.

Dan

Smash Lord
The amount of intensity on this forum right now is reminiscent of when 3DS launched in Japan and people were trying to figure out if anymore characters were left; one of the first things I remember was a Wolf trophy. :laugh:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Sabi's actions today we're really out of character... She was literally leaking entire conferences on her fan Discord that has hundreds of members. I don't get it. She's been pretty careful up until today.
I obviously do not know her anywhere near as well as you do, but I honestly do wonder if it might've gone a bit to her head in a way being the prime person who had confirmed leaks who was getting a ton of engagement on social media and new users on her discord.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
But if The Smash DLC character is a FE character im bringing it back, promise (but if it's Banjo im going to have to use an anime girl as an avatar because of a bet i did)
lol you say that like it's a bad thing (the anime girl thing)

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yikes, come back to no banjo at MS's E3 making banjo fans go in panic mode (from what I hear) and Sabi getting nintendo ninja'd.

Well, there have been some nice announcements at E3 so far atleast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom