• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

a random user

Smash Journeyman
Alright, people, place your bets! What do you think the chances are that we get another reveal before the end of the year?

Based on what we've gotten this year, I'm thinking about 10% chance.
the smash website has yet to add steve to the banner, not sure if they are waiting for him to release first, or if they will add 2 at once. If we do get a reveal i expect to see it at the game awards (like joker)

Droodle

Smash Lord
One thing to note is that each challenger has had 4 new costumes (consistently) since the first pack (I think). With pinshadow's findings it's likely that we will see 2 returning costumes; so I expect some big shift in speculation.

Like I said before we could get:
  • 2 Monster Hunter costumes (which kills off Monster Hunter for good, and would effect the perception of Dante/Phoenix/Capcom rep). Probably in the same way as someone like Rayman. If Dante was in the pass, why not save them for the him.
  • Lloyd + Gil (Kills of Lloyd and a potential Namco rep)
  • Chocobo + Geno (I don't think it's likely, but it would kill of Geno and a Square rep)

So yeah, unless that 6th thing isn't a mii fighter; I'm expecting a lot of peoples expectation to get dashed. It'll be an interesting lineup for sure.

MexoKatonSB

Smash Cadet
i think something about smash DLC that i like to see is that Smash DLC is a trade off

Smash brings in characters from other franchises, characters that you've dreamed of seeing in smash, it's a way to introduce characters to newer people. along with that, the characters franchises are represented in their best forms. (DLC wise....sorry cloud).

with smash bringing in new characters to the roster, people get introduced into new franchises/games they've never played before. which gives them the chance to go out and actually try out those games. if they like the character that is.

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Game Awards at the earliest for 8 methinks. Maaaaybe not until a real direct in January. We still have multiple Partner Showcases to go through and Nintendo is likely done dumping weekly announcements for now.

Jesus Christ I put 7 instead of 8 because we've been talking about it for so long. Feels REAL WEIRD to finally be past it to say the least.

Last edited:

a random user

Smash Journeyman

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Ok I think it's time to talk about Steve: Tbh I'm not mad, I mean I am sad about Geno not being 7th (Even I still expecting he something in the Pass) but Steve is good for a lot of reasons:
-He is a huge 3rd Party character that really say to people "You should really buy this Fighters" (because let's be realistic, steve will be the most selled character in Ultimate's livetime) and also is good for keeping the game's hype alive
-He kills the theory that most of FP2 would be 1st Party Shill Focused
-His stage, Moveset looks really funny and the skins are great. The zombies and Alex are as iconics as he and the Enderman one is just top tier (I sad there wasn't a Mario skin of the Switch Minecraft version)
-We are getting more news on his moveset on the Saturday in a 45 Minutes long video, which could bring cool mii costumes like Johana Dark, Cacodemon or something like Conker or Ori
-This is controversial but I fell he always deserved a slot. It is just a big part of Gaming's story. Really looking forward he

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
It feels weird to say this like nearly a year later but here it goes

I can’t believe the fate of the caccomallow leak lies in the hands of the minecraft presentation on Saturday. I would never of thought that.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
This Maximilian Dood thumbnail is everyone's faces when they heard that enderman noise in the darkness behind Mario
Tbh I was today (For some reason I wasn't thinking in Geno), I saw characters like Mario, Megaman, Cloud, Terry, Sonic or Pikachu and I was like "It's Crash, It's Crash, It's Crash". I ignored how mario hitted against a block wall, i didn't notice there were Endermans or Spiders but then I said. Ok, It's Minecraft and Steve appeared

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
I actually thought it was Freddy Fazbear when it got creepy lol.

Btw I came to this thread to let you Geno fans know that you guys do not deserve all the hate. I've seen very little toxicity from you guys, but a ton towards y'all. I and many others are rooting for y'all. Have faith.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why there was a theory that Geno being 77 meant anything I really don't think they care about the numbers or dates or patterns. There has not been a single fighter so far that their number was of any real relevance (AFAIK). I don't think him not being 77 means anything at all for his chances, other than the sole fact that there's now only 4 (announced) spots left instead of 5

Dan

Smash Lord
If Geno isn't in this pass I can't even fathom the delusion of Sakurai or whoever's choosing the characters... imagine not knowing your fans this much: Steve gets in; the 136K-reply Geno thread continues to march on while the 1K Steve one is just there. Steve is like the Isabelle of the DLC: so inevitable that a lot of us just stopped talking/forgot about him.

All I can ask for at this point is characters people actually request (Steve being one of them), so I'm fine with it (though I personally don't care about him and honestly think he's quite dumb lol).

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If Geno isn't in this pass I can't even fathom the delusion of Sakurai or whoever's choosing the characters... imagine not knowing your fans this much: Steve gets in; the 136K-reply Geno thread continues to march on while the 1K Steve one is just there. Steve is like the Isabelle of the DLC: so inevitable that a lot of us just stopped talking/forgot about him.

All I can ask for at this point is characters people actually request (Steve being one of them), so I'm fine with it (though I personally don't care about him and honestly think he's quite dumb lol).
Minecraft sold like 200 million-ish so I doubt Nintendo is under any delusion. Maybe you're over stating Geno's importance? Smashboards is hardly 1% of Smash Ultimate's player base.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Minecraft sold like 200 million-ish so I doubt Nintendo is under any delusion. Maybe you're over stating Geno's importance? Smashboards is hardly 1% of Smash Ultimate's player base.
I think Smashboards is big enough to be 2%, personally speaking.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Semantics dude. It's a very small percentage of the people who play this game and using metrics from this site isn't useful.
I was not using metrics. I just thought Smashboards was not that small.

Dan

Smash Lord
I would just like to see them take care of the people who care most about the game... the people living and breathing Smashboards/Papa's Discord server/etc; not neglect us for 12 years (I just say 12 cause it feels like he should've been in Brawl tbh) while little Timmy will forget to download Steve or not even care about him in two weeks... this is by no means shots at Steve either; I don't care about him, but he duly deserved a spot. I'm just saying if Geno isn't in this pass it will be sad and borderline insulting... if he's not a deluxe Mii it'll be unacceptable. Stringing his deluxe Mii out to the final character would totally be something Sakurai would do.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Now, even with Steve's fairly likely to be first week of October release going by the upcoming Sakurai Presents, it's still possible we can see FP8 in December and the next amiibo wave in the same month. Given that 7 and 8 were likely developed around the same time, it's not unlikely unless confirmed otherwise that we can see one more reveal by year's end

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Now, even with Steve's fairly likely to be first week of October release going by the upcoming Sakurai Presents, it's still possible we can see FP8 in December and the next amiibo wave in the same month. Given that 7 and 8 were likely developed around the same time, it's not unlikely unless confirmed otherwise that we can see one more reveal by year's end
Speaking of December, do you personally think Geno is The Game Awards material, or better yet, December material?

He'd make a great birthday present to me by then.

I don't see why there was a theory that Geno being 77 meant anything I really don't think they care about the numbers or dates or patterns. There has not been a single fighter so far that their number was of any real relevance (AFAIK). I don't think him not being 77 means anything at all for his chances, other than the sole fact that there's now only 4 (announced) spots left instead of 5
Same, Geno being 77 would have been a nice touch, but absolutely not a requirement. I never got anybody who thought it was.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Time frame for 8 is pretty simple: Next amiibo wave within a 2 week span. Right now, Cat Peach and Cat Mario are set for February. That is the latest projection unless newly announced amiibos come up earlier than that date. Reveal can be sooner ... or not ... since we've had the most extremes ever of reveal and release with Min Min and Steve.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Katalina’s the one I’m most curious about, because way back when we got reports that they were in talks about having Katalina/Granblue content of some kind appear in something, but then it kinda just disappeared and we still don’t know what it was for. I think most people just assumed it was talking about the Granblue fighting game, or that perhaps Nintendo did talk to them about Katalina but it fell through, but from Sakurai’s comments in the reveal video + insider commentary today post-announcement, the same could be said about Steve and now 3 years later (or 1.5-2 years from when Minecraft in Smash rumors entered the fray), we get Steve in Smash despite Sakurai saying that he was a difficult character to both conceptualists a move set for and create as a fighter because of his unique properties.

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it? And if they were in talks over Katalina, if the talks didn’t go far because of similar issues of moveset, now that she has an established play style because of the fighting game, if perhaps their first-picks for FP2 were characters they couldn’t realize for base/FP1, it’s very possible that Katalina just unexpectedly shot up the totem pole of likeliness with today’s reveal
Hitagi was the one spreading the Katalina rumors back in the day and according to Fatman, if you look through his internet history you'll find Katalina hentai. I wouldn't put any stock in Katalina receiving anything in Smash.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I would just like to see them take care of the people who care most about the game... the people living and breathing Smashboards/Papa's Discord server/etc; not neglect us for 12 years (I just say 12 cause it feels like he should've been in Brawl tbh) while little Timmy will forget to download Steve or not even care about him in two weeks... this is by no means shots at Steve either; I don't care about him, but he duly deserved a spot. I'm just saying if Geno isn't in this pass it will be sad and borderline insulting... if he's not a deluxe Mii it'll be unacceptable. Stringing his deluxe Mii out to the final character would totally be something Sakurai would do.
And to be frank, if Sakurai waited until the last character to give us the shaft that would just be downright cruel. Like, seriously, regardless of corporate Nintendo's involvement, if we end up waiting until Dec 2021 to get the originial Geno costume, I could only conclude that Sakurai was a sadistic asshole. That would mean that he strung us along for basically three years straight.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm going to reiterate this, just because Steve is CP7 does not mean Geno still won't happen. Unless Geno's outfit randomly shows up with Steve, which I find unlikely, we are still pretty good. We got four more slots left people. Don't start panicking yet until all spots on the Pass are filled up with no sign of Geno. Our boi's chances are still as great as they always have been.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The Square costumes won't show up outside of a Square rep, so Geno and the Chocobo Hat won't be there. Now, with that, it only leaves the Monster Hunter costume pairs, Gil, and Lloyd. The former two are the most likely to show up in the Saturday stream

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It just would have been nice plus all the signs (still) point to him being in the first half of the pass. We all kind of doubted that Geno would be the headliner of an E3 but, uh, that's obviously changed given today's events. Chief obviously wasn't it, Imran Khan has placed hard doubt on Sora and implied yesterday that if Crash is happening it's not soon so that certainly whittles down big fan favorites that could have been the 2020 big Smash reveal.

QQS

Smash Lord
I'm going to reiterate this, just because Steve is CP7 does not mean Geno still won't happen. Unless Geno's outfit randomly shows up with Steve, which I find unlikely, we are still pretty good. We got four more slots left people. Don't start panicking yet until all spots on the Pass are filled up with no sign of Geno. Our boi's chances are still as great as they always have been.
Totally agree, Geno still on the hill

NIckynickreviews

Smash Cadet
It just would have been nice plus all the signs (still) point to him being in the first half of the pass. We all kind of doubted that Geno would be the headliner of an E3 but, uh, that's obviously changed given today's events. Chief obviously wasn't it, Imran Khan has placed hard doubt on Sora and implied yesterday that if Crash is happening it's not soon so that certainly whittles down big fan favorites that could have been the 2020 big Smash reveal.
Where did imran imply that Crash, if he's happening, wouldn't be anytime soon?

MattX20

Smash Hero
and given that the two were intended to likely be revealed together, there is a chance for the reveal to still occur by year's end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom