• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Georgia Social Thread

Rayku

Smash Lord
I never want to jerk off for the first time
I have no idea what's going on what's the point

Am I doing it right?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
dynomite is a high schooler that plays brawl competitively

expectations can only be so high before it becomes unfair for the young lad

VietGeek

Smash Hero
if not we could always do it outside

brawl is overglorified rps anyway

i might pick up brawl again if you guys play classic mode

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
wtf is this ****
how old are you
what's the point of going to school or learning to drive?
you have no idea what's going on anyway right
dude i never want to eat expensive food
i have no idea what's going on so there's no point
LOL Sleepy wrecking *****es up in this thread.
I am so amused by what I read in this thread, every day.

BBQ°

Smash Champion

Umby

Smash Master
After reading this:
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=57366&page=1
I think it time for a change in the way we do tournaments. For some reason I think rayku specifically is going to find this stupid. Some of the points should be addressed and it can all start here.
This is dumb because it doesn't address any issues that have greatly impacted the Brawl tournament scene in GA.

Also, it addresses a stale metagame in high level play due to lack of character diversity and lack of promotion thereof. That's not really something we can change, considering Sakurai is a sadist. I'm pretty sure the metagame can develop in time so that 60% of top 13 in large national tournaments isn't MK, but it's hard to "promote" character diversity when the incentive to those who REALLY want to win is "pick a better character."

Rayku

Smash Lord
After reading this:
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=57366&page=1
I think it time for a change in the way we do tournaments. For some reason I think rayku specifically is going to find this stupid. Some of the points should be addressed and it can all start here.
Why do you think I would think this is stupid? That's called assuming. You think I hate everything, when really you know very very very little about me except that I will actually call people out on idiotic things they say/do. Stop being so judgmental. Besides, what do you care what I think?

The blog mentioned no problems pertaining to GA tournaments, so I don't see why tournaments (you rarely attend) should have to be revolutionized to accommodate...nothing. The closest thing to having an odor problem was immediately after TO4 was held.

tubes

Smash Ace
Why do you think I would think this is stupid? That's called assuming. You think I hate everything, when really you know very very very little about me except that I will actually call people out on idiotic things they say/do. Stop being so judgmental. Besides, what do you care what I think?

The blog mentioned no problems pertaining to GA tournaments, so I don't see why tournaments (you rarely attend) should have to be revolutionized to accommodate...nothing. The closest thing to having an odor problem was immediately after TO4 was held.
Lol, I knew you'd say that Rageku.

Purple

Hi guys!
Wow, did you guys turn into idiots while i went to this waba meeting? =/ (except for certain people; you know who you are)

Dyno's situation is pretty iffy. We've all decided that we shoudl money to get better and play better people. But isn't this a business in a sense? We're trying to win and make money, not 'get better' and lose money to people better than us. If i could choose between money match scrubs and not having to work hard and making good money with a bunch of scrubs, or getting better but consistantly losing money, in my current situation i would probably just make the money.

I'm sure you guys can have your own reasons for Money Matching, but what i've seen 'usually' is that people money match because they feel they can win; Dyno has the right to money match people who are bad at melee, but his logic behind it from what i see was ********. If you can't understand what's going on in low-mid level play dyno, you probably want to just stick to brawl.

@Chez - i'm just going to hop on the bandwagon and say that none of this pertains to the GA communtiy; Plus, you really don't do -anything- for the GA community, how would you know what we truly need unless you've actually been participating in tournaments with us.

Now, i asked a few of you for some questions for the Waba Meeting. I'm going to give you the answers that were given to me, i'm doing this practically off the top of my head, so some of these answers / questions might be a bit skewed.

Kismet2 Asks : Why is the door fee 10$ (will it be this way in the future)
Min says : The door fee for tournaments will be betwen 5-10 dollars (depending on the tournament, i personally don't think he along with many of the committee members see why they can't ask for 10 dollars, and there no valid reason why they can't make them cost this way. I say it's best to say that weeklies are 5 dollars, monthlies are 10 dollars)

Roderick asks : 1)Will there be sponsorships
2) Will they be willing to let outside people volunteer?
3) Will they be hosting more events?

Min Says: 1) Sponsorships are difficult to get and with Waba's low turn out in tournaments, chances are sponsors won't be willing to work with him. (however, i think i will talk with Larry about some good sponsors; but he will have to give the okay)
2) (he didn't give a real comment here except saying that you're kind of quiet, however i think he's fine with having people volunteer).
3) He hinted that waba might be closing if these events don't work well. We are remodeling now so there are still no events. ( except for one i told you about.)

Chas Asks : Will we be having the event with everyone still? How will we fit?

Min Says : We will be taking away the entire retail area so we only will have tournament and gaming areas ; these tournament areas will be increased. There will be more than enough space for running combo breaker.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Jamaal, I sent you 2 texts yesterday asking how many setups will there be for us to use? I don't want to go to waba anymore if there is going to be 1 tv for brawl and 1 tv for melee.

Dyno's situation is pretty iffy. We've all decided that we shoudl money to get better and play better people. But isn't this a business in a sense? We're trying to win and make money, not 'get better' and lose money to people better than us. If i could choose between money match scrubs and not having to work hard and making good money with a bunch of scrubs, or getting better but consistantly losing money, in my current situation i would probably just make the money.

I'm sure you guys can have your own reasons for Money Matching, but what i've seen 'usually' is that people money match because they feel they can win; Dyno has the right to money match people who are bad at melee, but his logic behind it from what i see was ********. If you can't understand what's going on in low-mid level play dyno, you probably want to just stick to brawl.
Dyno has recently shown interest in getting better at Melee, and if he's serious about it, then he should care about getting more higher-level experience, and the easiest way of doing that is through money matches. If Dyno decides to money match players worse than him, he isn't getting any benefit from that except for making like... $2, LOL. Sure, he might get a little better from playing worse people, simply because he is playing a serious match with a human, but he would exponentially get better by playing a better person (and even better if it was recorded and he watched it). If Dyno doesn't understand what is happening in a match with better people, then that means he just lacks the experience. It has nothing to do with mental capability (well maybe a little, but I don't think Dyno or anyone in GA smash is ******** LOLL). So by playing in money matches he will get the experience he needs.

When I still played Brawl and first started playing Melee with good people, all I did was stand in place and try to play like that. It was easier for me because I could understand what was happening instead of having to keep track of the opponent moving everywhere and myself moving everywhere. It wasn't until FullMetal told me the importance of moving around a lot that I really grew out of that phase and moved to the next level. It was uncomfortable at first to play a -thinking- game and keep track of everything that was going on while the characters were moving around so quickly, but the more I practiced playing quickly the faster I could think and the more I could understand what was happening.

When I was serious about getting better at Melee, I went crazy with money matches and just did $1 3/5 with any player better than I was. Sure, I lost a dollar for everyone I played, but the experience gained is certainly worth that bit of money. I think it really paid off because I've been able to control my nerves a lot better (my main problem) AND I've gotten a lot better at Melee. I got 3-0'd for days (LOL), but now I'm doing a lot better and I can take tourney matches off players that have been playing a lot longer than I have.

Purple

Hi guys!
why are you writing a wall of text about dyno playing melee. I was only discussing his money matching situation. He straight up disagreed to play money matches with biglou, vietgeek, and player-3; they all met the criteria of who he wants to play. He's clearly doing it for money profit not getting better.

also, to answer your question BBQ, how are we supposed to tell you how many setups we'll have available when we're still remodeling. All i can say it's the waba area will be practically an arcade with console games. You'll have more than enough space .

Purple

Hi guys!
He's willing to sell them out to people he knows, i can't personally tell you if he's going to sell them at a discount just because of that though. The Tournament Edition stick I wanted is -still- going to cost 150 even with his financial situation. So yeah.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Yeah I'm guessing that means all my convenience food will be gone.

gods forbid i have to actually eat real food while smashing @_@

gotta wonder anyway: whats gonna happen to all those gaming computers? undecided?

Purple

Hi guys!
i'm sure snacks will still be available, just no gaming needs will be met.

Now guys i was able to push out an event for you guys.

So i'm going to bold, enlarge, and color for importance.

On March 6th, until further notice there will be a tournament at waba. Anyone who wants to begin hyping this up may do so. We will work extremely hard to get this tournament center ready in time.

The price for this tournament will be 10 dollars pre-register, 15 dollars to register.

The event will last from 2pm March 6th, to 7am March 7th.

I do not have a way for online pre-pay, however if you are absolutely certain you can go, (job is set, ride confirmed, etc.) I will pay your pre-registration fee and you can pay me at the door the 10 dollars.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
why are you writing a wall of text about dyno playing melee. I was only discussing his money matching situation. He straight up disagreed to play money matches with biglou, vietgeek, and player-3; they all met the criteria of who he wants to play. He's clearly doing it for money profit not getting better.
I wasn't arguing with you or disagreeing with (FYI), I was just writing up a response so that hopefully dyno will read it and understand the benefit he can get by money matching better people.

also, to answer your question BBQ, how are we supposed to tell you how many setups we'll have available when we're still remodeling. All i can say it's the waba area will be practically an arcade with console games. You'll have more than enough space .
k

The price for this tournament will be 10 dollars pre-register, 15 dollars to register.
wow what the hell. So we have the option to pre-reg the door fee which costs $10, even though we have a smaller venue and MOST LIKELY less setups. Not to mention pre-reg'ing is really inconvenient for most people because they don't have a way to pay online (but I guess that's nullified because we can simply tell you that we're confirmed for attending). $15 to register normally is ****ing ridiculous. If anything, the door fee should be lowered because, like I said, the venue is smaller with less setups. I seriously doubt that I will keep going to Waba. GA Tech tournaments are looking a lot better to me because they are closer to me and there is no door fee.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
o crap march 6 ima be there =D

edit: Ga tech is pretty good with no door fee =O! hmm ima see how far it is

VietGeek

Smash Hero
jamaal is it smash only or fighting and party games galore (combo breaker-esque)?

regardless i will very likely attend this unless something comes up (which i doubt).

monkey u should play brawl+ again i was hyped when georgians began to actually play the d*mn thing >___>

oh yeah i wanna get better in melee so ill proly seriouslies casual u

im a high schooler so i depend on pacts and pinky promises with no intrinsic value whatsoever to seal deals :012:

Player-1

Smash Legend
7 A.M.? So is this going to be like a lock in? Do you know/think the tournament will be done by the usual ending time? If a tournament runs all night then I probably won't be able to go, but I'll probably come otherwise.

Purple

Hi guys!
the tournaments will end at regular time, and the rest of the time is friendlies.

@bbq - it's a smash tournament, as well as a lock-in. don't let the fact you can get in for free at GA Tech steer you from the fact you're getting around 17 hours available to play whatever you like that is available.

Please understand that the original store will be emptied of retail. We have a lot more space that you can picture. All of the setups from the tournament center will be moved into the original store. That practically doubles the amount of setups we usually have for tournaments, and you're holding these setups for 17 hours!

We haven't told any other gaming community about this event. This isn't combo breaker, this is a tournament strictly for you guys right now.

So let's set it straight

-Lots of space
-About 10-15 setups
-17 hours of straight playing.
-10 dollars oif you pre-register.

Fifteen dollars is steep for an average Georgia smash player's money; while that's understandable, don't let it cover over the fact that you not only have a chance to decrease the price to 10, which is regular door fee, you're getting much more time than you would as usual tournaments that end approximately at midnight.

Waba Game is a great place for a venue, while there have been moments where decisions of the waba committee have been questionable, can you truly say that we don't need a venue where you don't have to pay to have people host your tournament, NOR do you have to get things setup?!

You don't have to pay Min a dime last time i checked! So what's the problem here?

Tipped off series has been progressively getting larger, and we can only assume that with another tournament under the tipped off name that the event will only progress to larger amounts.

Where would a tournament with a caliber such as that be held in Georgia? We don't want to go to Final Round apparently, so what does Larry care for extending his space.

Are we going to use Ga Tech for a 100 man tournament when there's people who can potentially steal people's setups, and no real authority in the area, with no entry fee at that? Come on man.

I will be at this event by the way.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i suck at melee i don't see why dyno won't mm me

unless he wants to money match me for 2 $2 MMs, one falcon one falco, and one $1 MM agaisnt my fox

that would work

so how about it dyno

also i won't be able to make FR... i'm taking the SAT that day

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
@jamaal: Hmm. will there be a monthly in march too? i can probably only go to 1 if there are 2 events since im going to final round. Ill talk to you on skype later today.

bigman40

Smash Master
The main reason I asked about trying to attain a sponsorship is because Waba's future has been looking very bleak from the moment I joined the community. A sponsorship would help them acquire a new venue (a better one too) and this would most likely help in terms of being able to host tourneys to accommodate for GA (Since I head that a ton of people complain about Impact Clash's fails continuously). While not only accounting for the Smash community, I'm attempting to accommodate for all of the communities in GA so to make Waba prosper and be able to look at bigger plans that can involve OoS.

Purple

Hi guys!
If you guys haven't done it, i want you all to re-read my response to bbq. Incase you have any questions about the door fee.

@dyno - with how long it's been since we've had a tournament, you might as well consider this the monthly. Please note that this might be the last tournament that waba will be hosting.

@scatz - i'll reassert to min that he should look for sponsorships; i agree with what you said fully.

Top Bottom