• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get your Controllers Here! - My solution to the GCN Controller Ban (for Melee)

LLDL

Smash Hero
I just recently read about that dumbazz texas company that sued Nintendo because of the same type of controllers. We all know its bull. They know perfectly well that Nintendo DID NOT take the technologies from them. Nintendo simply created the Cube and Wii controllers without any knowledge of Texas already having a patent on it. Who's ever even heard of them no-face small time companies anyway? I've never heard of them, and I'm up to date with those types of companies.

Well anyway, the BAN hasn't gone into effect yet, and we're all trying to get like 4 or 5 extra controllers each.

But I'm sure that you notice that Gamestop/Eb Games/Funcoland etc, sell their NEW Cube controllers only in Silver and for 25$! Thats not worth it, it comes up to about 27 with tax, 30$ for one controller? Not even in the color I want anyway. And their used cube controllers DON'T WORK! They're 14.99, but they are used and they are usually busted in some way, the previous owners broke one of the joy sticks or buttons and just traded it in. I'm sure you guys can relate.

Anyway, I've just found this Online Gaming Store called Gamez for less. It's one of the best game merchandise sites I've ever been to, and they are TRUSTWORTHY!

Q. But flame, aren't their controllers Third party? Melee should only be played with the original first party controller, anything else doesn't feel right. The shape and feel is all wrong for Melee with third party

Yes, their controllers are third party. But they are essentially exact replicas of the original first party controller. Perfect for advance techniques and recreational play, without feeling that odd uncomfortable feeling of a third party controller. The only difference is that they are slightly stiffer than the first party, but nothing that you can't work into. But trust me, they are the EXACT same shape and design.

Q. But flame I can't shop online. I have no credit card, I'm just a kid/teenager, how can I get my controllers too? My parents won't let me use theirs.

Lol, I'm 16, and my while my parents don't mind me shopping online, they will not give me their credit card number. But that's not a problem, there are a couple of ways for us teenagers to shop online WITHOUT credit cards, and without our parents consent lol.

1. Go to walmart, CVS, Rite aid, or any other convenience store really. Go to where they have gift cards. There should be VISA Credit Card GIFT Cards somewhere there. Don't confuse the VISA Gift cards with the Prepaid Debit cards. The Debit cards that they have for sale won't work unless you're 18 or have a parent. They cost like $3.21 to purchase the gift card, and then they have them in different gift amounts. 25$ 50$ and 100$. Anyone age 13 or older can just walk in the store and buy a VISA gift card. And you can use those to shop online. Just create a Paypal account, and click add credit card. They will charge $1.21 on the card and then tell you to verify with a code. Then go to http://www.vanillavisa.com to check the balance of that card, You can use the 4-digit you see there on the balance page to verify your paypal account. Whala you can shop online with whatever amount you paid for the gift card. After you have made your purchase(s) make sure to remove the gift credit card number from your paypal account. Gamez for less accepts paypal.

2. Go to cvs/rite aid/bank/post office, and ask for a money order. A money order is essentially the same thing as a check, but there is no account linked to it, so if it falls in the wrong hands, you're screwed (but there are ways of refunding your money in case of fraud). Anyway, basically just go to the store, and go to the counter and ask if the store sells money orders. If they do, they will ask you for what amount. Give them the amount you want to put on the money order, and they will also charge you like a 79 cents fee. Then, they will print out a money order. You just fill it out like a check and send it to gamez for less to pay for the item that you purchased online. Simple

Lol I know, gamez for less sounds like one of those scam sites. But I can vouch for them. They have alot of good products, they deliver FAST, and they have a very professional transaction. So far I've bought an Indigo and Spice orange controller with money orders (they came in about 2 weeks from when I put the money order in the mail) and I've bought Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix +, and 2 white gcn controllers using gift credits cards/paypal (they came in about 3-4 days after I put in the order)

Their offical site (FREE SHIPPING ON EVERYTHING)
Their Ebay Store

Here is a sample of their products

Indigo 3rd Party $12.99 US Dollars

RARE FIRST PARTY OFFICIAL NINTENDO CONTROLLER WHITE! Only available in Japan, but works on US/EUR Gamecubes!
$27.99 Perfect to go with your Wii.

Two Third Party Controllers Bundle, Third Party $17.99

Frames

DI
there's something about that blue and red text

if you look at it, the red text has a 3d effect

i can't even read the rest of this cause this thing is hurting my eyes LOL

LLDL

Smash Hero
o.o I might have to get my hands on one of those white controllers...they look pretty sleek...

And btw, what's the name of that company? I can't seem to find it...
The company that makes the controller doesn't have a brand on it. They're generic, but they are really good quality, trust me. And yeah, they sell first party white cube controllers in japan. But controllers are region free. And they also have white third party ones too, but they aren't as good as the sleek ones.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Or just get a tri-wing screwdriver (like $5 from ebay/play-asia) so you can fix/clean/swap out parts? It's cheaper, and pretty much everyone has a bunch of old controllers laying around that you can harvest for parts.

Banditsofthesea

Smash Apprentice
I bought some Gamecube controllers from a game shop, and there were 3rd generation XD I like it just fine, though the Z-Button clicky thing kinda irks me a little, no biggie though, it'll probably grow on me XD

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
there's already been a thread discussing this. i can't remember where it is but i will say (as i have before):

the likelihood of a ban on all Nintendo gamecube controllers going into effect is slim to none. here's why: the lawsuit is tied up in court, which means that until nintendo loses their appeal no ban will go into effect. also, since the lawsuit (so far as i know) only pertains to the technology of the control stick, a ban on the entire controller is not a legal possibility (meaning that it is impossible), a ban on controllers with the infringing control is the only possibility. furthermore, considering the relative size of nintendo and the other company even if nintendo completely loses the court battle it is very unlikely that nintendo will allow the ban to go into effect. instead nintendo will pay a settlement fee to the other company (as microsoft and sony have before it) resulting in the lawsuit being dropped and the production and sale of gamecube controllers continuing.

again, unless something completely ridiculous happens (like .000001% chance, imo), the lawsuit against nintendo will result in nothing more than nintendo having to pay some sum of money to the other company.

Top Bottom