• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get your lucas critiqued here thread. post critique vids here!

Zephron

Smash Ace
Lol you're right. Everyone has had random moments where we did bad input. Sorry for mixing that up with bad judgement.

Can't wait to critique other people XD

I'll try to post up some of my own soon too.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Really liked your vids Oats, amazing stuff. Did Kirby take you to Brinstar? You should have had that!

A rare situation I thought of while that was going down - I think separating the stage by destroying the energy tanks would have been good in that fight. Something we've barely talked about before but based on how the fight was going down I think it could have been a wise decision. I'm not too sure about it though.

Nice jab cancels, those were were baller.

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
I won the first match, I banned Yoshi's Island, he went to Brinstar, he banned... I forget, and I took him to Smashville.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
My Lucas is horrible...but I would like some advice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imlso8UJBUQ&fmt=18
dont worry about it; we all gotta start somewhere:)
besides, you're playing against marth and he's part of Lucas' "Deadly Four"
ok time to critique...

0:11-not a good time to grab. dont grab out of a shield, because lucas' grab is waay too slow. if you're going to grab, use a pivot grab or wait for a better time.
0:55- no need for PKT2; and if u were gonna use it, aim for the ledge. u went towards the middle platform and that's exactly where marth would want you to be because he can follow up with an aerial(s). Thankfully, he missed and you DI'd away:)
1:38- dont shield grab mister!
2:13- that wasnt a good time to use PKT, but u made up for it with the forward smash
2:15-2:18- AWESOME. great use of RAR
2:45- Psi-magnet is good once in awhile as an attack. i personally like to use it to punish bad rolls,but it's a little risky to use it against a marth. he hit u with DB afterwards.
2:51-:bee: again, you hit him with it, but be careful when using it ;)
3:30- Upsmash for the win!

good job Oni=]
sorry but i dont hav time to watch the other matches.
you won and that's great, but work on using PKF, Nair and Dair more often. You hav to space yourself, especially with Lucas because against a better marth, you'll get grab release'd ->dsmash'd in the face. his aerials will also kill you. space if your best friend when playing as lucas
again, nice job

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
dont worry about it; we all gotta start somewhere:)
besides, you're playing against marth and he's part of Lucas' "Deadly Four"
ok time to critique...

0:11-not a good time to grab. dont grab out of a shield, because lucas' grab is waay too slow. if you're going to grab, use a pivot grab or wait for a better time.
0:55- no need for PKT2; and if u were gonna use it, aim for the ledge. u went towards the middle platform and that's exactly where marth would want you to be because he can follow up with an aerial(s). Thankfully, he missed and you DI'd away:)
1:38- dont shield grab mister!
2:13- that wasnt a good time to use PKT, but u made up for it with the forward smash
2:15-2:18- AWESOME. great use of RAR
2:45- Psi-magnet is good once in awhile as an attack. i personally like to use it to punish bad rolls,but it's a little risky to use it against a marth. he hit u with DB afterwards.
2:51-:bee: again, you hit him with it, but be careful when using it ;)
3:30- Upsmash for the win!

good job Oni=]
sorry but i dont hav time to watch the other matches.
you won and that's great, but work on using PKF, Nair and Dair more often. You hav to space yourself, especially with Lucas because against a better marth, you'll get grab release'd ->dsmash'd in the face. his aerials will also kill you. space if your best friend when playing as lucas
again, nice job
Thanks for your analysis of my Lucas. I will be sure to space better. I got lucky with Marth, but I never have this luck against Meta Knights when I have poor spacing.

awful

Smash Cadet
@ onithewolf

as stated by toxicrow, try not to use lucas' grab that often unless youre pivot grabbing.

it gets you punished easily

dont worry about doing bad against a marth cause theyre extremely tough against any lucas

but just keep your spacing with pk fire and when he gets too close use down smash

however nice spike and nice down throw into down air

prOAPC

Smash Lord
@zman: i watched those fights, really funny matches :D
one of the matches, at pictochat, you used dsmash after a jab lock, but didn't work, why was that?
i would like to critique them, but is hard to critique doubles :S

i'm going to watch toxi's vids

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Sweet vids Zman. Team EarthBound FTW!!
I saw so many opportunities where Ness/Lucas should of recovered damage with PSIM.
IMO, PS1 is the best CP for Team EarthBound. You can hide behind the walls in the fire/water/rock formation and heal heal heal. Instead you guys went all-out with PK Thunder. Lol. The Wolf refused to reflect it until he hit the ground. Funny matches...

c3gill

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1LliTUI6ZA

Snot my best, not my worst either though. I would love to hear some criticism, and positives would be nice too.

the last 15 seconds of this thing are BRUTAL. I took about 30% that i shouldnt have, but it didnt matter.
As soon as i can figure out a way to effectively upload stuff to youtube ill have more up.

Irsic

Smash Ace
C3(Lucas) vs Em(Samus)

:13 - Charged smash. Now this isn't necessarily a bad option but you have to think about it - Rarely will you actually hit your opponent when he makes the mistake of leaving him as helpless as he did - second, it's easier (and possibly smarter) to go for the grab -> downthrow -> utilt combo, for one, it leaves your fsmash fresh.
:30 - Use your tether recovery! I can understand if you were trying to pick him off with some PKT2 damage, but that was highly unlikely. You were more likely to get him with the get-up attack here.
From :30 - 1:00 - :( Your opponent isn't very good at all. He didn't powershield a single standing PKFire, where most people would be inching closer and closer and punish you with a short hop aerial. This is why we wavebounce them, there isn't anything wrong with the occasional standing PKF.
2:00 - you will normally get shield grabbed here. Especially since you didn't auto-cancel the nair.
PKT edge-guarding is great, but you should have been punished for it next time.

You need to find a better opponent to get some real criticism. Overall though not bad as you play as fast paced as you can, but you do do too many standing PKFires, you will get punished for that against good opponents.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
@toxi: was there lag in your fights? 'cause there are some mistakes that only happen when there is lag. And at 0:57 at delfino, looks like you first tech the wall, then pk thunder, am i right? Good Lucas :D
@c3: what your problem uploading videos? that video has some great quality. There's a program that upload videos automatically, my friend uses it and upload like 30 videos a day
on the other hand, that samus wasn't really good, a lot of times you could reflect her missiles pretty easy, it is a better option than destroy them with a fair, and she used wrong her upB, but you didn't punish properly; try to not using to many grounded pk fire, nice nair to uair, nair combos ***** samus

Levitas

the moon
Toxi first vid:

:10- I saw that usmash.

Beginning: Don't spam moves that obviously won't hit unless the point is to draw ness close, which clearly isn't the case. Regardless of what you do, he's coming, so feel free to pick your moves more carefully and slow down the game. PK fire would be a legit choice to control the pace a little better.

:18- you walk into the yoyo because you're not paying attention (presumably). If you see him charging a move, don't run in, wait. At the very least, you'll get a pk fire hit.

23:- always know how many hits the opponent's attack has (which I know you do) but then always wait until the last possible hit. This applies to marth's side b and MK's ftilt in particular, though moves like peach's dash attack and G&W's bair are notable, too.

:28- this is wifi, isn't it? That would explain why a reverse dsmash could work the way that does.

:30- you PKT in a wide counterclockwise arc. You should start the arc like you did and then do a tight circle clockwise.

:50- That is the kind of PKT that never works. use it to capitalize on a positioning advantage, not whenever you feel like it.

:53- fsmash to punish missed fsmash it legit, but you're not in a position here to get there in time. close, but no cigar.

1:05- what are you doing? PKF works if you at least do it towards the opponent, and the magnet pull setup would have been effective only if ness decided to stand there and not do anything or attack. He decides to do something.

1:13- I'm not too into that grab release > Dtilt > fsmash, but if it works for you, I guess go for it.

1:15 - Did you really think that usmash would connect? furthermore, he was at a low enough percent that all it would have done is weaken your kill move and trade a lower success rate for a bit more damage than another nair > tilt or just fsmash.

1:27 - good use of PKT. That was the optimal way to direct it once you committed to using it.

1:34 - usmash hits. This really is online, right?

1:42 - Dair should be started closer so that you can retreat if it whiffs.

1:50 - grab release like that doesn't work... apparently. I don't remember if it's supposed to work on ness, but I expect not to see another one in this video. 2's the limit on things that don't work like that.

1:55 - that's how you don't PKT

2:00 - more random moves. each move you use should have a purpose.

2:22 - you're using PKT too much

2:27 - I guess Usmash does hit every so often.

Game 2: I liked this game less, it didn't tell me as much.

:10 - that's unfortunate. work on seeing that coming.

beginning- choose moves that are less punishable in general, he'll have a harder time closing in. Jabs are always good, as are nair and dair, and you're using all three.

1:00 lol water

1:21 - more random moves.

1:50 - freeze pressure for the KO, lol

2:11 - I thought he was gonna actually let you hit him w/ a pkt2

2:20 - jabs and ftilts. I guess you used a solid choice, but it sucked on his part to think holding a was a good idea.

end - what, like 2 shoddy/questionable KOs. well, makes for a short game.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
thanks levitas =]
the times i did upsmash after n-air, those were honest mistakes. i was really trying to utilt
i'll work on the random moves & pkt and use them a little less

wow and you had 2 minutes to spare =]

S.D

Smash Master
Oni - Nice job man, here's just a few things I picked up.

0:37: Poor use of PKT1. Not really sure where you were going with this but you left yourself wide open, wrong choice of move.

0:46: Don't rush, poor spacing comes from panicking, which is what you did here. You have a decent window to punish snake using his dsmash that close to you.

0:51: Nice attempt at PKT mindgame, but you didnt cover yourself. Once Snake put his shield up you were better off dropping the thunder between you and him, either shutting off his approach or cutting down your winddown lag. However I wouldn't have tried this move in that situation. Try to cut down on PKT1 as a general attack option.

1:15: Probably an accident but don't SH Dair, always Full hop this move. Good little combo preceding it. Watch the spacing on your PK fire though at 1:09, this should have been punished. Not the best close range option, particularly not as a close range approach.

3:24: Bad option. Easily avoidable and wouldn't have taken a stock, save your usmash for kill percentages to a) keep it fresh and b) reduce the risk of being punished as it is a hella laggy move.

Overall you play a solid Lucas. You have good spacing on some moves, but need to work on others, notably pk fire. You don't seem to be quite sure when to use it. Generally it shouldn't be used as an aggressive approach. Use its full range to gain maximum benefits from it.

Also I'd like to see you utilise SH nair. I don't recall seeing it used once in the match and it's one of your better approach options/damage rackers.

EDIT: Looks like this was wifi, so we can only tell so much from it. Try getting offline vids for critique next time.

Andrea

Smash Rookie
Hi everybody ,
My friend Glarion wants to Know How beat Ness lol,
He played against Achoral at 2 tournament and he got ***** Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFyVc8G822Q ( Gnouz ranking )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFlTdJs3Vjc ( Bushido impact 8 , Achoral beats him in Winner and looser bracket XDD )

Ness possess a faster close range game, and his aerial game exceeds us. His back throw also is Gay

PS: Oh hell My english suxx sorry

Chuee

Smash Hero
Okay

:17- dont use dair that close to the ground. You get lag
:28- Good prediction
:44- Dsmash was out of his range. Try to only use moves if your sure they will hit.
:49- Dont just randomely throw out a fsmash.
1:13- same as above.
1:26- Dsmash isnt that good of a KO.
2:13- Save usmash for KO's.
2:17- Shield would've been better.
3:00- No random fsmashes

Next set (not doing the PT one. Dont know anything bout PT)
:13- He was too close for a PKF
:17- Why use the Magnet?
:31- Too low for PKF
:35- Too high for PKF
:41- Dont approach with Dash attack. Its predictable.
:47- Dont try to stop them from approaching with a charged dsmash. You get punished for it.
:53- Please dont randomly charge a fsmash. Your opponents arent dumb.
1:00- Never....use...dash grab....it sux.
1:03- No random fsmash.
1:22- You missed a jab lock opportunity ;_;
1:58- should've absorbed that shet.
2:11- ;_;
2:31- No perfect shield?
2:41- Way too close to dying.
2:51- Need i say it again? No dsmash
2:56- Above
3:32- Should've used a throw.
3:46- lolwut? Offline suicide ;_;

Great lucas just needs more nair and less rolling.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i've seen a couple of Glarion's matches, i know the way he plays, also a friend compared once our playstyle because of the use of PK Fire.
glarion likes to be in the air, and loves dair, which is good, but, here comes what i said in some old thread: your Lucas has to be all ground, you have to know where and when is better to use nair instead of dair, and when is better to stay on the ground insteand of being in the air. Lucas is not the kind of character that can win however he plays, he has to accommodate to the situation. So, my advice is, change the way you play depending on the character you are playing, in my opinion vs ness, stay on the ground with your jabs, tilts and sh nairs

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Ok, overall, you have a pretty decent Lucas, here are some of the main things that I saw:

-You grab waaaay too much, and especially with Lucas, that's a BAD thing
-I didn't see much Dair, if there was any, it's a great move, and is a good approach
-You Dsmashed quite a lot, and even charged it, which is sorta bad, and he was at a relatively low % too
-Too kill, I would recommend Dair -> Fsmash, and add a Dtilt lock if you can
-To edgeguard a Marth, I would use PKT instead of Bair, but use whatever feels more comfortable
-I wouldn't PKT2 at the beginning of a match on FD, would be predictable and easily punished
-Should probably use more Nair
-Random Usmash at 1:42 O.o I think not...
-Some of the Dsmashes were random
-Rolled a bit much
-You shielded quite a bit, and if the Marth was a little better, he could've easily punished you with an Infinite grab

Overall, again, decent Lucas, just need to work on edgeguarding, approaches, use of smashes, and rolling/shielding habits. =)

Andrea

Smash Rookie
Chu /Thanks for your analysis of his Lucas ,
APC / you're right Glarion likes to be in the air ( like you friend Andres I presume ?? ),
In fact , he likes Seanson's lucas , thats why he uses a lot of dair lol I think he'll try to play on the ground next time ^^

PS : His best video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KneFURqWQ6w
enjoy :)

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
Ok, overall, you have a pretty decent Lucas, here are some of the main things that I saw:

-You grab waaaay too much, and especially with Lucas, that's a BAD thing
-I didn't see much Dair, if there was any, it's a great move, and is a good approach
-You Dsmashed quite a lot, and even charged it, which is sorta bad, and he was at a relatively low % too
-Too kill, I would recommend Dair -> Fsmash, and add a Dtilt lock if you can
-To edgeguard a Marth, I would use PKT instead of Bair, but use whatever feels more comfortable
-I wouldn't PKT2 at the beginning of a match on FD, would be predictable and easily punished
-Should probably use more Nair
-Random Usmash at 1:42 O.o I think not...
-Some of the Dsmashes were random
-Rolled a bit much
-You shielded quite a bit, and if the Marth was a little better, he could've easily punished you with an Infinite grab

Overall, again, decent Lucas, just need to work on edgeguarding, approaches, use of smashes, and rolling/shielding habits. =)

Thanks for the critique man :). I was having a horrible day that day with Lucas xD. I do agree that Marth could have easilly punished me if it weren't for those Sd;s, and if he were a tad bit better. I'll keep those things in mind. Were you able to look at the combo video?

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the critique man :). I was having a horrible day that day with Lucas xD. I do agree that Marth could have easilly punished me if it weren't for those Sd;s, and if he were a tad bit better. I'll keep those things in mind. Were you able to look at the combo video?
Yeah, I was able to watch your combo vid! :)

Top Bottom