• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting into melee

Pickles_211

Smash Rookie
Competitive smash has been a hobby of mine for about a year now. I play mostly smash 4, but I've always loved watching melee and have some friends who play melee. The main factor that holds me back is that I have strange custom controls where z is jump and r is grab. My conclusion is to use a controller that's modded to shift around the x, z, and r buttons so that my controls are what I'm used to.
1) is this tournament legal? I know turbo controllers are banned, but would it be legal to use a controller that only had the inputs changed?
2) if controllers like this are allowed, is there any way to buy a controller like this or to do it myself?

Is that idea even possible? It'll be much easier to just relearn new muscle memory. It's also free

Massive

Smash Champion
Controller modification language has been basically removed from most tournaments rulesets, and most of them were targeted at macro controllers anyway. The prevailing feeling is that it honestly doesn't matter, and basically every controller mod out there just makes it easier to do something you're able to do anyway with the regular controller.

Also, rewiring buttons is reasonably easy if you understand some basic electronics and soldering. Check out one person's exploits here.

Pickles_211

Smash Rookie
I just tried rewiring an old controller I have. It didn't go so well. I'm used to using z for jump so would claw grip work? Is claw grip weird to use?

Top Bottom