• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

getting out of spot dodge frenzys

lillight3

Smash Apprentice
ok i have had trouble with this for some time and i was wondering the best way to escape it. When i play my frinds with my marth, i tend to get myself into what i consider to be a spot dodging frenzy in which we are both right next to each other and we constantly spot dodging to avoid each others attacks. the thing is, i usually end up facing away from from my opponent so there is no chance in grabbing them and i tend to panic and not think of roll dodging or wavedashing away. I've been trying to get myself to dair out of this since it creates lag for the other person but if i miss i usually will get foward smashed and then comboed. any suggestions?

SOPF

Smash Apprentice
Well, Lillght, being nervous and panicky usually gets you screwed over because you end up losing focus on the task at hand, beating your opponent. In "spot dodge frenzy" situations I suggest you practice controlling your nerves and try to roll out of the way, that is if the attack you're both trying to land is a grab, but if your opponent is throwing out attacks rather than grabbing attempts maybe try shielding.
Really that is all I can think of, right now anyway.

lillight3

Smash Apprentice
i really think the reason is that i dont play people enough to acctually learn simple solutions to this and make them more like automatic reflexes. but i should probably work on avoiding this entirely. i knew there wasnt really going to be much to say about it but i figured i should have presented the idea just incase others have experienced this

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so is the point of pivot grabbing to get behind the opponent so that you now have a guaranteed grab regardless of whether they try to spot dodge?

i guess if you just waited in front for the spot dodge they might just choose to grab again instead.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Yeah, my friend actually chooses to grab again most of the time to mess with me. But pivot grabbing eliminates that, as long as you get it off fast and get the actual standing grab (not dash grab).

balladechina212

Smash Ace
No, definitely a pivot grab. If you press Z randomly in a dashdance, you will NOT do a standing grab as they did there. You must press it at the right time to pivot.

Jeth

Smash Rookie
If I remember correctly, fairx2 worked well on those situations. From experience, when I'm in that, if you person goes away from you with a roll, keep dashing/wave dashing to his direction and grab/attack. Kinda breaks the flow of the battle there.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
it was a dashdance JC grab..which can usually stand in for pivot grabs in most situations..including marth's chaingrab on fastfallers

Top Bottom