• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting the most out of Link's Recovery?

nuro

Smash Lord
What is the best way to get the most distance out of Link's recovery? Assuming all DI is done perfectly is it better to normally recover or bomb recover? What ways do you have to DI in both recoveries? I know for the bomb recovery you need to smash DI once the bomb hits you but which way is that, up and towards? Is up + towards the best way to DI when recovering for both cases? I know you DI down for a few frames to pull out the bomb, right?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
DI only applies when you have hitstun. Pulling out the bomb is just pressing down, you aren't DI-ing at all.

You should almost never bomb recover. The total distance is greater in the case of the bomb recovery, but taking alignment into account, you get less distance, as you can't grab the ledge.

If you are very high up and fairly far from the edge, and you gauge a standard recovery won't be enough (or you can be ledgehogged easily), doing a bomb recovery and using 'hadouken'/quarter-circle DI (not smash DI unless you're on keyboard, even then hadouken DI is better) to move up and towards the ledge might be another option to reach the edge itself (though chances are you'll just die immediately afterwards without error on the edgeguarder's part).

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
Actually in a TAS situation, bomb recovery is better than normal. However, for Non-TAS play, it's (usually) better to normally recover.

nuro

Smash Lord
Just found out something. So if the bomb in Link's hand is ready to explode when he is in recovery make sure to UP+B when it is about to explode. The bomb sends Link in the opposite direction of whichever way Link is facing and during Link's UP+B he turns around.

mr yo

Smash Cadet
Just found out something. So if the bomb in Link's hand is ready to explode when he is in recovery make sure to UP+B when it is about to explode. The bomb sends Link in the opposite direction of whichever way Link is facing and during Link's UP+B he turns around.
i think these would be easier if the bomb is ready to explode: jump, boomerang behind you to turn arround, up...boom!-DI..up b

also the method that was explained at the first answer.

nuro

Smash Lord
i think these would be easier if the bomb is ready to explode: jump, boomerang behind you to turn arround, up...boom!-DI..up b

Cool. Didn't think of that.
_ _ _

There are some good answers in this thread so far...

Anything we didn't cover? I feel like we might be missing on some details..

Oh. One more thing. Say for example you know your going to get hit off the stage which way is the best way to DI the hit?

Let's say for example Samus spikes you while you're on the floor and you know she is going to lead it up with a bair to hit you off the stage. She is facing left and hitting you right with her bair. Which way would you want to DI that? Hadokensmash DI downleft? Or is it Hadoken DI upleft to launch yourself higher in the air so you have more recovery?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Depends on whether she'll kill you or not, which can only be gauged from experience.

It probably won't make a difference at anything over 80%, since Samus has strong kicks and Link can't fly on his own volition.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You essentially answered your own question. If you think you'll live and aren't at 130% (that's about when Samus's B-Air can kill you off the top, I think) hadouken DI up and away from the way you'll be sent flying. If you think you won't live anyway, it doesn't matter.

nuro

Smash Lord

Wait, I thought about it more and my first idea is better if you already used your 2nd jump. You get a boost during your Up-B then it explodes and then you can Up-B again!

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Maybe at low percents (ie <40) running into and DI'ing Pika F-Smash's earlier frames could let you recover immediately again and grab the edge? Just a thought.

This is a good thread.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Getting the most out of Link's Recovery, step by step

Step 1: Press jump

Step 2: (Maybe) throw a boomerang or bomb

Step 3: Press up b

Step 4: ???

Step 5:
Get edgeguarded and fastfall to your death

D

Deleted member

Removed by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Not really... all the stuff mentioned was pretty obvious to me already. Was hoping there were more ways to increase the recovery.
There aren't any ways to do so without inhuman DI, a pre-existing, halflife bomb, or an ally. Link's recovery is bloody garbage, period.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
If you wanna get the most out of link's recovery, simply don't use it. I mean, dont get sent off the stage, lulzzzz

The Star King

Smash Hero
@cheeseball you forgot being at like 200% so that the bomb jump actually does something significant :)

You'll probably die anyway though.

nuro

Smash Lord
DI only applies when you have hitstun. Pulling out the bomb is just pressing down, you aren't DI-ing at all.
I'm confused. Why is it that yoshi can't jump onto the tent from the main platform without just holding right if this is true?

The only way I can make youshi get on top of the tent from jumping off of the main platform is by holding up+right

asianaussie

Smash Hero
o.o

That's just control of aerial movement...I always referred to DI as the instant movement of your position during hitstun, rather than also including aerial movement control...

mr yo

Smash Cadet
Wait, I thought about it more and my first idea is better if you already used your 2nd jump. You get a boost during your Up-B then it explodes and then you can Up-B again!
yeah thats what i ment...but i will explain this methog again...lets supose you took out the bomb a litle moment before you were kick of the stage.....with a litle luck and good timing this method is clearly the most effective:

"jump, bomerang behind you(make sure to pres behind for the less time as posible and then pres towards the stage again after you throw the boomerang), up B...explosion+DI, up B again"....maybe with this method after the explosion of the bomb you could try to throw a boomeran in front of you to turn arround...and THEN up B again....it might work if you are VERY FAR away and high enough...so you can grab from the edge.....i have never try either of these things....i dont use link very much....is just theorycal...but i have a good undertand of the game´s physics....someone should try it out in different situacions with and without the second boomerang to turn arround.....because i have never heard of this method....of course, is very rare because you should have the bomb befoe you were hit...and in general, at high % you drop the bomb when you are hit with strong moves....but well....if i see a link do these in a match it will be AMAZING!!

if you took out the bomb more time than that and it is about to explode your method is faster, and it would be more effective than the "classic" (with the bair) method of bomb recovery....jump, up b at the very moment the bomb explodes to turn arround+Di...up b again....but for this to work you should have a REALLY good timing because links turn arround really fast and only for a couple of frames.

i though of another method just for fun, its similar to the classic one...jump, weak bomerang behind you..when the boomerang is coming back throw the bomb, so it hits the boomerang and the explosion makes you go towards the stage+DI...then up B....i can telll that is a crappy method and if it works.....its clear than you should have use one of the method mentioned before ore the classic one with bair....but well, is just for fun... i think that with these method you also have to take out the bomb before being send of the stage...if not i dont think you have enought time: jump, down B, reverse weak boomerang, bomerang comes back throw bomb, explosion+DI, demiplie, releve, then you sing "barby girl" of Aqua, and finally up B....nah, its just stupid, wouldn work like that....

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You might be able to, say, reach the green house on Hyrule rather than missing it slightly if you do it well, but that can still be reacted to...

blaze3927

Smash Ace
in japanese version this seems to be more useful

theres another bomb "jump" moveset, it is terrible and im nt actually sure if you gain anything.
might make for an interesting recovery from higher angles but.

Freefall

down b
weak up a (throw bomb up)
jump
up b into bomb
up b again

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Link should've always been like pal version... horizontally faster and better recovery.

blaze3927

Smash Ace
well ssb (A) pal was the last version made, so it would make sense if they used that rom but I dunno, it could always be different again

Top Bottom