• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting Under The Armour - Samus Interview Thread (Cherry64 Questions)

Muz

Smash Apprentice
Good to see that you're still playing, Tudor, that interview was fun to read. Good luck with your MCATs, and its great that you're putting school over brawl. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more vids from you once you get the chance, you're always very creative in your play style, and this talk about advancing samus makes me excited heh.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
BRING IT! Im ready to answer any and all questions that you wimps bring up. WHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

After the long wait, I have finally interviewed the
terrible
amazing Xyro!!!

Firstly Xyro, I would like to thank you for taking the time out to do this interview.

Xyro: Heck yea man. No prob at all. It took you FOREVER to interview me. ROFL!

It's the Samus community who decide the very large majority of the questions, not myself. Okay well firstly, why did you choose the name Xyro? It's very unique ;o

Xyro: When I was young, my hero in all of video games was ZERO from MegaMan X. Remember that scene on the first stage where you(megaman) fight Vile? Vile beats the **** out of you and then ZERO slides in and busts off Vile's arm and causes Vile to run home like a wimp. Yea that **** was AWESOME when I was a kid so I HAD to have my name as ZERO. Fast forward to my first few smash bros melee tournies.....there were about 5 kids named ZERO and it made me feel like I was "just another kid named zero." I changed my name to TGM for a while and realized it was ******** so I decided to go back to ZERO except with some changes. I thought about it for a while and decided to rename myself XYRO(its pronounced like zero) so that it sounds the same but is spelled differently. So yea that’s pretty much the short version of it. WHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH!

It's nice to see a name inspired by a game, or at least, a character from a game. I never thought your name was pronounced like that O.o. Ah well. So, moving on. Your known as being the best Samus in the US for all of your accomplishments and whatnot, but do you ever believe that choosing Samus was the wrong decision? Or do you actually enjoy playing her?

Xyro: TBH I’ve struggled with those 2 questions ALOT. I originally picked up Samus not because I like her but because I KNEW she was horrible in this game and I KNEW that she was going to be low tier(none of this is a bad thing btw). I wanted to show the world that I CAN and WILL be able to compete with the high tiers at the highest of level and even in the highest of levels in the Low tier department. So far, I have done just that. Over time though, I wonder if i made the right choice. In melee, people respected LT players and their abilities. They would say stuff like "wtf a ROY beat the best falcon in the nation?!?!?!?! OMG AWESOME!" Now days, the people call it a fluke and move on. MUs didn’t really screw over a LT players in melee if the player was smarter and his technical skills were up to par( have personally seen this). In THIS game, very very few people respect LT players. Its like we don’t matter/don’t count and our character are not "viable". You only become TRULY noticed if u do something beyond amazing which MOST LT players will never do because we just cant in this game. I say that because MUs are one of the BIGGEST "walls" we face as LT. No matter how smart we get or how well we know a stage or w/e, FALCO/MARTH/MK/SNAKE....etc will win at the highest of levels. In melee that kind of thing wasn’t certain, but in this game its more certain than NOT. So do I regret putting all my time into Samus? NO! If I could redo it all over again, would I? YES!

That’s a very fair standpoint I must say, I also really like your reasoning for choosing Samus. I’m glad that your very loyal to your character. As of your tournament running (HOBO, which I would like to congratulate you for your success in the series btw) you seem to not partake in the standard section of the tournament but you rather go for low tier. Any particular reason for this?

Xyro: WHAHAHAHAHAHHA well thank you! Its been a long *** road and I’ve put ALOT of work into my HOBO series(we are at HOBO 24 this month). I didn’t become a TO just because I like to be in charge of events, I did it for my city, state and for my region. I am sick of seeing WC or EC being talked about so i decided its TX’s time to shine and so far we have created a top 3 snake/diddy/mk and Samus so I must say I’ve done a decent job when it comes to making my state be able to hold their own versus EC/WC. As for me pretty much not entering regular singles or regular teams anymore.......i apologize. I believe that I found my "calling" and that calling is in LT. From my point of view, LT is by far the MOST fair event in all of brawl. No MU is too over-powering(except ganon vs.......anybody) and the rules don’t totally favor a certain character like they do in regular singles(mk). Skill and skill alone is pretty much what determines a win in LT events. Whether its LT teams or LT singles, its pretty **** fair. I will start entering singles and regular doubles(this weekend will be the start) more often though because i do miss beating higher tiers with my green lesbian.

Ah well that’s a fair stand point. Low tier is defiantly the way to go imo, and I agree with you about regular singles tbh, but ah well. It's nice to see you'll be making a really nice comeback ^^, I expect to see lots of ****. Now, as a fan of your green lesbian combo video series, as many others are, we are all expecting a sequel, can we ask if there will be one any time soon?

Xyro: OMG ROFLMAO! Those things! People may not know this but those 2 combo videos really were not serious. Ever SERIOUSLY watch them? Some clips had CPUs and some had me doing 40 hit combos to 3 year olds and stuff. LOL i think my first video was made just to be mean to Tudor(which i still feel bad about). I also made those videos to kind of make fun of BRAWL and its "combo videos" cause brawl really doesn’t have legit combos that extend beyond 3 hits. I will admit that i did(at one time) want to make a REAL combo video that shows TRUE combos and TRUE kick *** KOs and TRUE mindgames but im still not sure if the world can handle another green lesbian combo video. I might just do a IN DEPTH "how to" video like they did with link. Oh also, this may be off subject but I’ve received death threats and **** because of my combo videos. In "The green lesbian: returns" i added fake names to ALL of the clips in the video and i received some pretty **** violent PMs/emails and IMs from people. At first i laughed so **** hard at this kids who take my stuff seriously but over time I realized that some of these people were mega serious and it was going a bit too far. So i MIGHT make another combo video or I might make a "how to" video. I have not decided. WHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Haha! I was well aware they were joke videos, but I found them very interesting to be honest, and I actually have seen some implementations of some of your combos into many play styles. Well, if you ever decide to make a serious video, I will be sure to give it a look. NO-IDea asks who you believe is better, you or himself?

First off, No-idea is by far the best Samus on the EC. I played him and Rhyme and its pretty clear that No-Idea is the best. I’ve been to WC and played their Samus players or at least seen them and i can assure that No-Idea is better than them. But is he better than me? I think hes close to me but not better. He refuses to play "gay." Whether is ledge stalling or running timer or platform stalling or just spamming to run away, he wont do it. I am willing to ledge stall ANYBODY and run the timer on ANYBODY. Knowing that that type of play style has led me to 3 stock players like kismet(top 3 falco) and beat players who are clearly better than me like Atomsk(top 3 ddd) that is why i think im better. I literally WIN or place top 4 in 99% of all LT events i enter. I also place decently high(for a LT main) in singles(the last time i entered [hobo 23] i got 7th). I even went to Kosha Boy back in November and his own kind(EC players) said i was better. That’s not saying he’s BAD cause clearly his 2nd(in my book). I respect the fact that he wants to play fair and "earn" his wins but this is brawl and you cant play "fair" in a game where the foe doesn’t give a **** about fair. Until he gets over this and starts to play gay he wont pass me up. I know he will read this so im going to go ahead and say it. NO-IDEA, if you ever do decide to play gay, you will EASILY(that’s right) become better than me. Your style is good/flows well ad if you would ever play gay you can literally take my title away without even trying. Until that time, ACCEPT IT, you are 2nd rate! WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! One other thing. If Tudor comes back he would also be a SERIOUS challenge.

Well, that’s a fair stance on that, you have a really impressive track record, so that's really nice to see ;o. I’m surprised that you think NO-IDea can be better then you, didn't think you would have given up a 'title' so easily ;o. Back tracking a tad here. Why did you choose the green colour for Samus?

Xyro:
My favorite color is green(any type) so if i can make samus green then im gonna do it. On top of that, NO ONE uses green so it kinda makes me stick out and be remembered a bit easier.

I was actually expecting a bit of a backstory there xD, ah well. Good to see somebody else loves green. So, as a Samus main in brawl, who is your personal worst matchup and your favourite?

Xyro: My absolute and Samus WORST is MK. It used to be DDD but ever since i learned to run timers/platform camp/ledge stall he’s not that challenging anymore. With MK, none of that stuff works. MK truly shuts down samus in EVERY WAY possible, he was BUILT to counter over half the cast. He can gimp you VERY WELL while u cant gimp him unless hes ********. He can combo the hell out of you and put shield pressure on you in a way to where you literally cant do anything(if he spaces, not even up+b oos will work). He’s faster than you and can KO earlier than you. 99% of all stages favor him more than you(some are auto wins for mk like rainbow and norfiar). All of his moves cept one are all transcending priority so this means there is no "clanking" of moves, its just you losing. I’ve played dojo(2nd best mk in usa) enough to know that a highly aggressive MK that spaces well and isnt afraid to go off stage will ALWAYS beat Samus. MKs that allow samus to think and set the pace of battle are the ****ty ones. They are also the ones we wanna play in bracket, ROFL! Anybody who thinks MK isn’t her worst match up is seriously on drugs or completely ********.

My favorite MU is the Samus ditto. IMO it is the ULTIMATE way to figure out who is the best samus player. I know i know, your like WTF your stupid. Hear me out before you decide. Look at the samus ditto. Both of you have the same techs and both you have the same set-ups. Both of you have the same "good stages" and the same "bad stages." Both of you have the same size zair (lol). Both of you have no MU advantage which means you are pretty much DEAD even. So what separates the better player? SMARTS! Unless stupid **** like tripping into a f-smash or an SD happens, the SMARTER player will win. And as we know, the smarter player ends up going farther in the grand scheme of things right? THAT is why i love the Samus ditto MU. Its FAIR and smarts/skill wins. I know it sounds super ******** but its truly what i believe

Everybody is entitled to their opinions Xyro, I personally agree with you on the MK MU thing, but your favourite match up surprises me, I always thought it was Ike ;o. With MLG's current rule set and regulations (ledge grab limits, stage CPs etc etc) how do you believe this well effect Samus's meta game?

Xyro: I really think that MLGs current rule set hurts Samus BIG TIME. Not only is there a ledge grab limit, stages like norfair are counter picks and halberd/delphino are neutrals. On top of that, the strike system hurts samus really bad. If you are the lower seed, you must wait for the foe to strike 3 stages in a row THEN you get to strike 4 then whatever is left the foe can choose between the last 2. What if the foe strikes BF/FD/SV? That’s some of samus BEST stages and now you are forced to potentially play on stage that is BAD or just "ok" for samus. IMO the rule set give an auto disadvantage to Samus. If you thought that was bad enough, there’s more! Since so much money is only the line, the chances of coming across mk is more likely because he is clearly the character with the best chances. Your chances of coming across really "gay" tactics are also increased because of the amount of money/fame thats on the line. This rule set is just down right horrible for samus.

Okay, so Xyro, apart from smash, do you have any other hobbies/jobs or other activities that you participate in?

Xyro: I fence. You know, the swording fighting thing with the bee-keepers mask(whahahahah). My personal favorite fencing weapon is the Sabre(due to the rules attached to it) while my least favorite is the epee. The Foil is just "meh" to me. Other than fencing my other hobby is HISTORY. I love history and wish to teach it at the college level one day. History is one of the most important things a person can know. HISTORY is a big *** story that can literally solve the problems of today while PREVENT future problems from ever happening. The only other thing worth mentioning is travelling. I love to travel and see new places. Cities/towns/monuments and people are all why i love travelling. This may sound pretty **** corny but this earth is an amazing place, PLEASE leave your state or country at least once in your life and go check out what this world has to offer. Other than that i stick to smash/girlfriend.

Wow, fencing sounds pretty dangerous ;o, and quite a twist on what I actually expected you to like, but that’s a really refreshing thing to see ^^. History is indeed amazing, im glad im not the only one who thinks so :3. So what kind of music do you like? That is, if you like music at all?

Xyro: This may either make me sound nerdy or old so here we go. I am heavily into music from the 80's. Any and all types of 80's music is what i will listen to just because of the overall style. I also love classical music because it is the ONE type of music that never gets old. I HATE hip-hop/r&b and especially RAP. Its a bunch of morons rhyming words together with little or no vocal talent required. That **** is not music. I would rather listen to Brittany Spears while having my *** hairs pulled out one by one than to listen to that crap. ROFLMAO, sorry.

LOL. That was actually pretty hysterical, good stuff Xyro, good stuff xD. A final question before we end off, 34 or 69?

Xyro: lets go with 69.

69 <3. Xyro, is there anything you would like to say to the community before we finish?

Xyro: For the final words to the samus players, I want all of you guys to hold your nose as tight as possible(without hurting yourself) and try to hum several songs out loud. Its impossible to finish even half a song.

Awesome stuff Xyro, well everybody, see you all next time ^^.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
ROFL. I will never play gay as possible.

I will however try to hum a song while holding my nose later and come back with the results.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
So... it's not possible. I tried humming "This land is my land" and "Old McDonald" and every other short song I could think of. Of course, I'm also sick with a cold, but still, I was gasping for breath half way through.

Anyway, good **** with the interview. Who's up next?

My vote: A Canadian Samus. Doesn't matter which one.

Xyro77

I vote for KJ and i would like to be the one to interview his ***. If people dont vote for him, i switch to a canadian

I vote for KJ and i would like to be the one to interview his ***. If people dont vote for him, i switch to a canadian
Haha! I guess I have no choice but to be a nominee xD. I would be glad to let you interview me if im chosen for this.

Yeah my vote goes to KJ aswell. He's done a great job making AND giving interviews. He deserves this.
Aww thank you ^^.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Meh, I'll switch my vote to KJ.

But!

It has to be a joint interview. I get to interview KJ along with Xyro in the same chat room.

DOUBLE THE Z-AIR, DOUBLE THE PENETRATION!

Meh, I'll switch my vote to KJ.

But!

It has to be a joint interview. I get to interview KJ along with Xyro in the same chat room.

DOUBLE THE Z-AIR, DOUBLE THE PENETRATION!
Well, it's 3-0 to me I guess O.o... That sounds like a good idea, if Xyro is cool with it, you two get a system sorted and I'll be more then happy to be apart of it.

I'll let voting go on for a little while longer, if it becomes 4-0 I'll stop the voting and allow questions to be sent to yourself and Xyro.

Well I guess that decides it, I shall be the next interview subject. Everybody send your questions to Xyro/NO-IDea that you want to ask me.

You mean QuiKSilver, and he has no recent footage or results, so I assume he's on a break, besides, it's already been decided who is being interviewed.

Xyro77

Guys, please send me and noid more questions. i got 4 so far. we need more.

crifer

Smash Lord
You mean QuiKSilver, and he has no recent footage or results, so I assume he's on a break, besides, it's already been decided who is being interviewed.
quik is still playing. he´s going to a smash fest in about 2 weeks,
expect new footage from him.
He also won a little low tier event and I´m going to upload the finals next weekend.

Ah cool.

Come on guys send Xyro/NO-IDea some questions, we may be able to do a complete cycle of applicants if we get me finished off.

zair.

Xyro77

Xyro interviews KillerJawz

Let me begin by saying it is an honor to get to sit down and chat with the best Samus in Europe!! Lets get started!!!! Why did you decide on Samus to be your main?

THANK YOU! Well when Brawl first came out in america, I stumbled across a video by a guy called darkshadow. He was playing as zero suit samus and he did this strange combo, I was awe struck, and decided I must main her. After a while I hated her lack of a projectile so I went for other characters like Pikachu and Lucario, but hated them as well. So I tried to go back to zero suit and accidently didn't hold down the shield button, so I spawned as Samus, so I gave it a shot. I then saw her down air and when I meteor'd someone with it, it was sealed. She was going to be my main. I then decided to play brawl competitvly so I watched Tudor's videos, yours and another samus main called L!te and came out as the Samus I am today.

Ah, it seems you had to go through a few other people before you decided on the lesbian, LOLOLOLOLOL. Since you are from the UK, how did you gain the title "best samus?" Did you defeat other Samus players in the ditto as well as out place them? Do you beat better people than they do? Are you the ONLY Samus over there(roflmao)?

In the UK we have myself as a Samus mainer and two other people as Samus alts. I defeated a lot of well known players in my region such as Ixis and Calzorz. something which no other Samus has managed to do up until this point. With consistant tournament placements, and the best placements in europe, I earned my spot as best Samus in europe, and I am not letting the title go under any circumstances because to be frank, there isn't a single Samus in europe who can hold a candle to myself, and I am not being big headed here.

If you are the best Samus in Europe, then thats that the way it is and you should not be afraid to let people know. After all, you EARNED it. Anyways, Do you have plans to come to the USA and take on ME or any other Samus players in the near future? Or are you gonna wait for us to come to you?

I had originally planned to come to the US during Apex 2010, but sadly it was not to be due to money issues. I do have some big plans to come to Pound 5 or WHOBO3, where I do intend to take on yourself, seeing as we play identically, it would be a real match to play, and I really look forward to it. I would also like to play Tudor and NO-IDea, but I doubt that's going to happen. I would like to see some US Samuses come to UK, I would love to play them all ^^.

As for Samus, we all know she is low tier due to several reasons like lack of killing power/being floaty/being a BIG character......ect But is she in the correct spot? Do you believe there is some untapped potential we are all missing? Explain in detail if you can.

Samus is a terrible TERRIBLE character. She lacks everything that is needed to make somebody viable in brawl. If this Samus was in melee, she would be a very good contender for mid tier, but this is not the case. Samus is too high in the tier list at the moment, she is the third worst chatacter without any doubt in my mind. She can't kill, she has blind spots on her moves, she lacks a melee game, poor priority projectiles, bombs and smashes are lack luster, her aerials are decent, but that isn't enough to make a character good. There may be some untapped potential such as exploring her abilities on the ledge, but as you well know, we both play the ledge beautifully, so we're pretty much at Samus' peak of her metagame as of 2010.

FUUUUUUU....all hope is lost. Thanks for wrecking my life. As for MUs, what is your hardest and easiest MU? Also, what is a MU that most Samus players get/play "wrong" in your opinion?

My hardest MU is Olimar. Without any doubt in my mind. Olimar is one of the characters that I believe was made to just plain counter Samus. His spam is better then ours, his melee game is better, his aerial game isn't far off, his grab reaches FURTHER then ours and STILL HAS LESS LAG. A single pikmin of his beats out our beautiful charge shot, FULLY FREAKING CHARGED, URRRGGGHHH. My favourite MU is probably Link or Peach. Those MUs are just DEAD ON EVEN. It's so fun to fight a good Link like Izaw, his melee game beats ours, but our spam beats his, we both have decent aerial games as well, it's basically a fight of wits, playing that extra bit cautious and only going for the kill when the opportunity is PERFECT. Peach is a battle of keeping her away, or she gets in. Zairing peach all day is so fun, and even when peach is in, the match gets so intense and amazing, it's just too fun. The MU most Samus players are getting terribly wrong is probably Falco, MK or Marth, purely for the fact they are actually thinking the MUs are anything less then 75-25, they go in there, like OOOO WE HAVE PROJECTILES WE GOWNA WIN. No. It won't happen.

Dear lord......you sound just like me. F-ing scary. What is your stance on banning mk? Are you for or against it?

Well I used to be neutral in the situation, since we don't really have any decent MKs in the UK, I felt that it wasn't really a problem I would have to endure any time soon, however, our top three players all play MK in some way or another now, and the challenge has just became unbelievable, he just wrecks us any step of the way. I try to get into the air, I get knocked out of the sky, KO'ed at like 60 with aerial shuttle loop, destroyed in my ground game, tornado'd to death, and the worst part, I can't counterpick him! I can't go ANYWHERE. So yes, I'm pro ban for MK.

What do you feel are the WORST stages for Samus? We already know CP stages are character dependent and Neutrals are pretty much the same as the rest of the cast.

Her worst stages are probably Delphino, Castle Siege and Halberd. Delphino moves around so much that it's hard for us to have a ledge to play on, and there are plenty of walkoffs where characters like D3 can just carry us off, also falling through the stage is just ******** :-\ . Castle siege is just ********. On the first stage it's so cramped and small we have no room to play around on, and even when we think it's safe to move around, the stage changes INTO A WALK OFF WITH STATUES. So our spam gets blocked and there a constant walk off, all we can do here is run and time the clock. Halberd is a more personal issue for me, we don't exactly thrive in killing off the top, so it gets tougher and tougher when we're killed at like 90 by a utilt on halberd :-\ .

Outside of playing smash, what kind of hobbies do you have? Also, what do you wanna be when you grow up(career wise)?

Outside of Smash, my main hobbies are to do with computing. I love to fix problems on computers, it's a lot of fun. I also edit videos, make signatures in photoshops and create walkthroughs for certain games and such. When I go back to college (since I dropped out) I may consider taking up some courses in Literature, seeing as writing is one of my past time hobbies.

Ah ok, thats not bad at all. Im glad that you have a plan for your future. I say this because some people go through their life just sitting on the couch naked and eat corn chips. 2nd to last question, give me the top 4 best Samus players in your opinion.

The top four best Samus players, who are active and kicking *** of this moment are: 1. Xyro 2. KillerJawz 3. NO-Idea 4. IsmaR

One last thing before i need to go( i gotta take a hardcore poo), do you have any advice or comments for any of the other Samus players out there?

For all of you other Samus players, just keep attending those tournaments and learn from your mistakes. Me and Xyro are always offering to help out other Samus players, providing footage for you to learn from, updated guides and the such. As the Samus boards mod and Xyro as my co mod <3, we shall continue to help you all out ^^.

EXCELLENT! Thanks again for this interview and come see the USA soon!!!!

Thanks for interviewing me man ^^, I'll definatly come over some time ^^

Okay with a whopping two votes, Cherry64 is our next candidate.

Send me your questions for him guys.

Remember, he's Canadian

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Yippy lolz. This could be interesting :\

Cherry64.
Will

And no I don't have a Pet Penguin anymore. He died :(