• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GGs Brawl?

BBQ°

Smash Champion
that was at tipped off 5 when Rayku got 4th seed, and PBnJ was basically about to **** over Rayku

GA Peach

Smash Lord
let me make something clear, Mike G. i have no problem with pot splitting. i honestly don't, and most people who play any fighting game i have talked to really don't either. but, again, when you play for an organization that has rules against this type of thing, you just have to suck it up and abide by the rules or face the consequences, simple as that. and, i can't recall exact tournaments at the moment of when any of you split any kind of winnings, but i know i have seen it before. again, i don't really have a problem with it.

also, JWT, to avoid Reflex banning or something, i had to represent that I am a neutral party, and was not arguing for either Melee or Brawl.

Purple

Hi guys!
So looking at this thread, I can only see this really becoming a Melee Vs Brawl discussion considering MOST of this has been Melee vs Brawl conversation anyways.

I really want to think the point of this thread was to bash brawl, not exactly to point out current events and rightfully discuss what should happen, but that's just my op.

Anyways, pretty close to locking this thread, keep the convo off of hurting either spectrum of the community.

So, is pot splitting -really- wrong?

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
i kinda think it is. I mean whats wrong with playing sets out?Splitting is just an easy way to get money once your there. I think it just shows who really likes to play because they enjoy the game and who plays it to make a semi living(lol)

harriettheguy

Smash Lord
If two gentlemen agree to split, who is going to stop them? It's their money if they placed at the top. Even if there was a rule enforced to play the set out, they could just meet up at the hotel and splitsies then. The no-splitting rule exists only to promote competition by forcing great fights between great players. If anyone has issues with it, then they should just play better till they place at the top. This has nothing to do with Brawl or Melee, byads.

Finch

Smash Lord
The smash community is small and immature compared to actual esports like starcraft so pot splitting is kind of accepted, but it shouldn't be if the community wants to be taken seriously. Smash needs to be in MLG if it wants to have a real future, so the players need to adjust accordingly. I always thought that pot splitting was pretty dumb, and it's bad for competition. M2k shouldn't go into a tournament with the mindset that even if he doesn't place first he can still get half of the money. It's an insult to MLG and the money they're spending on his game.

Purple

Hi guys!
Ssf4 is taken seriously and not in mlg, same with mk3 ultimate. It's not the places the game is included that matters, but how the game is carried and played that does. Also M2K's idea -really- isn't that bad. It sounds like more of a 'if you can't beat em, join em' kind of thing. The only reason the rule was there was because of malicious planning of brackets.

Renth

Smash Hero
*cough*

I thought this was common knowledge but.. people have been "splitting" for years.

j00t

Smash Champion
People are allowed to do whatever the **** they want with their money after they win it. Just make sure they play out the sets.

Finch

Smash Lord
Ssf4 is taken seriously and not in mlg, same with mk3 ultimate. It's not the places the game is included that matters, but how the game is carried and played that does. Also M2K's idea -really- isn't that bad. It sounds like more of a 'if you can't beat em, join em' kind of thing. The only reason the rule was there was because of malicious planning of brackets.
I was talking about competitive gaming in general, not just snobby fighting game communities.

Do you understand what competition is? This is supposed to be a professional tournament, not just hanging out with your friends in your living room. No one should have the option of just getting more money regardless of where they place in a tournament. What's the point of being the best in that scenario?

GA Peach

Smash Lord
I was talking about competitive gaming in general, not just snobby fighting game communities.

Do you understand what competition is? This is supposed to be a professional tournament, not just hanging out with your friends in your living room. No one should have the option of just getting more money regardless of where they place in a tournament. What's the point of being the best in that scenario?
i can get behind this statement.

Purple

Hi guys!

Then don't split with them if they ask. Being the best in that scenario allows you to get the larger sum of money regardless.

1st = $2,500
2nd = $1,500
3rd = $1,000
4th = $700
5th = $500
6th = $350
7th = $250
8th = $200

or

1st = $12,500
2nd = $7,500
3rd = $5,000
4th = $3,500
5th = $2,500
6th = $1,750
7th = $1,250
8th = $1,000

No matter where you cut it, the best will be getting more than enough money than the rest.

Top Bottom