• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimmicks

Paixy

Smash Journeyman
What are some tricks/gimmicks that you use on people and that work well. Here's some basic examples:

-Dash attacking/dash grab when you know they're gonna land from a double jump. Can get predictable though.

-Running forward then rolling backwards to bait.

-Rolling when you land from a platform

-Playing defensive the entire match, then for the last part, playing very aggressive.

What are some ya'll know of?

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
uh....camp for the first 2 stocks then on the last one incooperate alot of pivot grabs, sheild grabs, and aggresive play. Are you asking for mindgames?

JOE!

Smash Hero
BEst mindgame:

Mid match, to your oppoennt: WHOA! check out the rack on that chik!

*opponent looks*

*free hits*

*???*

*profit*

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Another good mindgame is to jump off the stage and SD. Your opponent will be psyched out after that.

DevilKiller

Smash Apprentice
SD? As in self-destruct?

My usual trick is to run off the stage, then jump back on with an aerial attack in my opponent's face. Easy to space, you land on the ground quickly, and you avoid (temporarily) the opponent who is dashing at you. Back air attacks in general come out fast for most characters, and some have the added benefit of a long lasting hitbox.

Here are a few other tricks I have:

- Playing as Snake with friends, I convince someone to let me stick C4 on them, so that they can become a suicide bomber. It always works, which makes me wonder how loyal my friends are to each other. :)

- Throw items up, grab, and throw up. Hard to set up, but so satisfying. Best done with characters that produce items (Link, Toon Link, Snake, Peach, etc).

- Abuse the zair (tether in mid-air) with characters that have them (Samus, Link, meh). It can be really demoralizing.

BurnBurn

Smash Apprentice
- Throw items up, grab, and throw up. Hard to set up, but so satisfying. Best done with characters that produce items (Link, Toon Link, Snake, Peach, etc).
This.

Idk why, its just so satisfying like making a combo 8D

kr3wman

Smash Master
SD? As in self-destruct?

My usual trick is to run off the stage, then jump back on with an aerial attack in my opponent's face. Easy to space, you land on the ground quickly, and you avoid (temporarily) the opponent who is dashing at you. Back air attacks in general come out fast for most characters, and some have the added benefit of a long lasting hitbox.

Here are a few other tricks I have:

- Playing as Snake with friends, I convince someone to let me stick C4 on them, so that they can become a suicide bomber. It always works, which makes me wonder how loyal my friends are to each other. :)

- Abuse the zair (tether in mid-air) with characters that have them (Samus, Link, meh). It can be really demoralizing.
None of these are gimmicks.

Gimmicks should stop working after you do them once. Everything you mentioned is good strategy.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
None of these are gimmicks.

Gimmicks should stop working after you do them once. Everything you mentioned is good strategy.
This. Especially the tether attack comment. It's generally accepted that the tether attacks are actually some of the best moves in the game.

Gimmicks would probably be something more along the lines of roll baiting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hMr2PeDlSo

Top Bottom