• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpy says Ness is horrrrible.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Not true at all. When it comes down to it, you have to consider character choice a portion of your skill. Regardless of what you might think, skill comes down to who can beat who. Players who play top tiers can beat more people than people who play lower tiers, so their skill level is naturally higher, low tiers have to work hard to overcome that gap. If you're even with someone who plays a higher tier character, that doesn't mean you're better than them either, even though you may have had to learn more skills to beat them. Anyone playing a low tier must realize this, character choice is a part of skill.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Not true at all. When it comes down to it, you have to consider character choice a portion of your skill. Regardless of what you might think, skill comes down to who can beat who. Players who play top tiers can beat more people than people who play lower tiers, so their skill level is naturally higher, low tiers have to work hard to overcome that gap. If you're even with someone who plays a higher tier character, that doesn't mean you're better than them either, even though you may have had to learn more skills to beat them. Anyone playing a low tier must realize this, character choice is a part of skill.
Even by that definition, skill is still ultimately dependent on the player, character choice just makes up a portion of that skill.

Even so, I disagree, characters function as a skill multiplier, accentuating technical skills and mindgames ability. No johns of course, it's nobody's fault but your own if you decide to handicap yourself and main a low tier character, but if character choice were a direct addition to skill, why noob falcos and foxes weaker then noob Marths and Sheiks?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Skill isn't math, it's not straight numbers, it's who you can beat against who other people can beat. Character choice IS a portion of your skill, that's all I'm saying.

Levitas

the moon
You mean you're bad with Ness. I mean, it's not like other characters have some sort of natural advantage over him or something, right? right? We all just seem to have trouble because for some reason, all of us seem to be bad against sheik and falco.

In conclusion, Ness.

vull45

Smash Apprentice
if you dont think ness is good change to his yellow and black shirt then you can unleash a whole world of hurt. its always good to have style points

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Hmm, well, actually, I believe someone I know (who shall remain nameless until I beat him) also says Ness sucks, despite the fact that he plays him. When I beat him, he has to write a 5-page essay on why Ness sucks. >_> So, I guess....we'll find out when I beat him. (That may take a little while.) Personally, I saw a really awesome Ness player at Smashpocalypse II. He was creating a rather large crowd around him. Don't underestimate that PK Fire, lol.

Granetdud

Smash Cadet
Well Gimpy can SUCK IT! Just Kidding, but seriously, he shouldn't be talking, he plays as Bowser O_o although Bowser isn't lame or anything...

Levitas

the moon
Lol, like 5 random dudes came on to say that Ness sucks. Isn't that a bit harsh coming from people that never post here and gave no justification whatsoever? I mean, he's not really worthy of a much higher tier, but he's not like some other characters.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm surprised that

a) this thread isn't locked
b) some random n00bs haven't said N3SS 4 T0P TI3RZ
c) this thread attracted so many people

AIDS

Smash Lord
In Episode 26, Gimpy says that saying Ness is bad is giving him too much credit.

But we all know Ness is awesome.

But Gimpy is never wrong.

Discuss.
ok, ness awsome, i am so thrown off, and im sure that ness is pretty bad, i do not understand why you would debate that, but also gimpy does use a pretty bad charecter, but i can not think of any good ness player who is as high level as gimpyfish anyway, i support the fact ness SUCKS!

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Simna's the same level. You can't really consider either Simna or Gimpy as Ness or Bowser players, they're another entity entirely.

Also, do any of the Ness players here find it ironic that most of us could probably beat the people saying Ness sucks?

AIDS

Smash Lord
Simna's the same level. You can't really consider either Simna or Gimpy as Ness or Bowser players, they're another entity entirely.

Also, do any of the Ness players here find it ironic that most of us could probably beat the people saying Ness sucks?
lol i recall a ness who spoke like that, then i learned to downthrow with sheik :laugh:
but for real, ness gets owned pretty easy, his recovery sucks, his Fair is like the only decent thing.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
lol i recall a ness who spoke like that, then i learned to downthrow with sheik :laugh:
but for real, ness gets owned pretty easy, his recovery sucks, his Fair is like the only decent thing.
Ask blunted object to play his ness. Yeah, I got connections in BC. And the Sheik chaingrab with Ness is escapable past 30 percent.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
I'm down with that.

...Wow, whoever thought I'd ever post in the Melee Ness boards...I don't even play as him that regularly...

Well, um, congrats on getting him back in Brawl, I s'pose!

dan smith

Smash Champion
Hmm, well, if this board must have a board war with any other character specific forum, I guess I'd be happy if it were the Boozer board. Despite Ness being gawful, as I've admitted, he can hold his own against Koopas fer shurrrrr. I've played quality Bowser, and it's viable, but there aren't enough.

I'm good enough to take out most. Grabfest, no. But probably at least 4 of the other 5 Koopa players. (I'm not sayin' if it's Gimpy)

EDIT: Ness is in Brawl. Cool? I might play him.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Lawl, I'm one of the top Boozers in the nation, and I don't even play him. All you have to do is hover the counter over him, and you, too, can claim this!

In conclusion, it seems most Character Specific boards kinda fail now. Especially the Peach forums. Everyone and their mom riding the jock of some NYC bum that doesn't even know what he's doing.

GofG

Smash Champion
lol guys ness sucks. no air game, bats are underpowered and have too much start-up lag, you have to hit yourself to recover (wtf goes against all logic), and his head is as big as the rest of his body.

and his eyes... HIS EYES.....

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Bat has very ltitle start up lag, same range as Marth''s F-smash, and better spacing(Ness doesn't move a foot forward just to F-smash).

And Ness's Recovery is still better than Falco's.

The only truly bad thing about Ness is his complete incapability to combo and his ease of comboability.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
bat doesnt have the same range as marth's fsmash...its shorter.....however bat is more disjointed....i know this sounds funny

i should lock this topic but it is about how bowser completely sucks and ness is great isnt it? so i think it can be open

Levitas

the moon
Lol, Ness hits a Marth that forward smashed without moving over a larger set of places.

Also Ness is faster and more disjointed than bowser. And better.

vull45

Smash Apprentice
Bat has very ltitle start up lag, same range as Marth''s F-smash, and better spacing(Ness doesn't move a foot forward just to F-smash).

And Ness's Recovery is still better than Falco's.

The only truly bad thing about Ness is his complete incapability to combo and his ease of comboability.
doesn't nesses up b leave him wide open

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
doesn't nesses up b leave him wide open
Don't Fox's, Falco's, Samus's, and Ganon's recoveries leave them open? Yes. Ness has an advantage (and disadvantage of being able to tailwhip (or try to tailwhip) any edgeguarders. And he falls. Slightly.

*digs around*

GofG

Smash Champion
I lol'd at people thinking I was serious.

I just took my ness to the UNCP tournament (small tournament in NC, Chaddd was there though) and I did alright for my first tournament lol...

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I quote Earthbound360:

About Ness, let me say some things

Yes, PKT is kinda easy to intercept, but that's often not the opponents best option.
It covers great distance
Ness midair jump helps his recovery greatly due to distance and maneuverability
Ness has the largest sweetspot range in the game
He can sweetspot the edge at any time during PKT2 in 1 frame
His wallhuggin ability is unique as he actually changes direction
PKT2 is one of the highest priority recovery moves in the game (at least in the beginning)
It has invincibility frames
There are recovery defending PKT techniques like reverse edgeguards, anti-edgehogs, inverse PKT2 recovery, delayed PKT2 recovery, and more. I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't want me to go on now would you? :razz:

Annoying made me wanna do this.
But I think this thread is dead anyways. :/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ness' recovery also has extremely high priority compared to other recovery moves in the beiggining 10 frames.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Distance: Ness covers a great distance while using PKT2. It’s generally the same as Fox’s Firefox move. Also, it takes similar start up time, unless you are aiming for special recovery. Not to mention Ness has the largest sweetspot range in the game.

Eaten Thunder: People also complain that Ness’ thunder is too easy to eat and screw him. First, they should note that only some characters can do this. Characters like Mario and Falco wouldn’t want to attempt this. Also, if the Ness is smart, he will try to keep it away from the stage making it harder for opponents to eat it. Not to mention PKT is fast in itself, making it even harder to catch. With inverse PKT2s (Putting PKT in front of Ness instead of behind him) and delayed PKT2s (waiting before hitting ness with PKT), eating PKT is just plain not a great edgeguarding option. And if you are out by Ness anyways, why not just hit him?

Other Facts: Ness can easily sweetspot the ledge very quickly. In one frame from ANYWHERE during PKT2. he is also provided with a good amount of invincibility frames in the beginning. During that time, PKT2 has just as much priority as Peach Parasol. PKTB is like an off stage shield, so edgeguarding one who has mastered this isn’t easy. Also, Ness’ unique wallhugging ability can help him greatly. If you hit him in the air while he is using PKT, he CAN reuse it. Not to mention the obvious “Any direction you choose’ thing. Also, his recovery is among the most versatile, and you can even mindgame his recovery. Also, interesting note, Ness' recovery CANNOT be caped.

Character Recovery Comparison: Now, some may say that Marth has better recovery. Well, think of it this way: If you hit a Marth back off stage while he is recovering, there is probably little chance that he can make it back. Hit Ness off again while he recovers, and he can still have a chance. The same goes for Mario, Falco, and Yoshi. Ness can take multiple hits off stage and still have a chance at making it back. Now, some might say he is too vulnerable during PKT2. well, after the sweetspot, he is vulnerable, but just as vulnerable as many other recoveries. FireFox, Green Missile, Dark Dive, and Final Cutter leave all of their respective characters relatively vulnerable in comparison. And please, it was once thought that Bowser and DK had better recoveries. They only go horizontal, and just about as far as Ness does.

Recovery Aid Techniques:
Fair! (IIRC, this has more range than Marth's fair)
PKTB
PKTBC
Inverse PKT2 (Putting PKT in front of Ness before hitting him instead of behind him)
Delayed PKT2 (Waiting a bit after releasing PKT before hitting Ness)
Wallhugging (important to Ness since his is different than others as in he changes direction)
Perfect sweetspot (1 frame)
PKT Reverse edgeguard (Tailwhip foe and recover either hitting them, edgehogging them, or edgeguarding them afterwards.)
Pray (Anti-shinespike)
Double sided sweetspots (crash into the ledge during PKT2 and Ness can grab on both sides of him)
PKT2 Crawls (Just barely shoot past the ledge and Ness will follow the ground above to avoid edgehogs)
Anti-edgehog (Wallhug a vertical ledge to shoot up past it to avoid edgehogs)

Recovery Diagram:

If you cant see it, yellow means sweetspot only
Dark blue border is where you can recover with a perfect horizontal
Black border is where you can PKT2 crawl
Pink border is where you can use an inverse PKT2
Light blue is where you should wallhug as Ness
Green borders indicate areas in which a perfect vertical PKT2 will allow recovery

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
lol i to tell the truth i kind of messed up on the coloring of that pic because of how the camera was stretched

but not much^_^

oh btw the section at the botton underneath the yellow next to the edge and part of the blue right near it and above the red lining the bottom...that space in between...
You can recover from there^_^

Top Bottom