• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Well he says you get the Final Smash when you re-spawn after you die, like you just spawn already glowing with its power. If that ever actually happened, it had to be from the game being nice to you, because we know that if you die with a Final Smash charge you lose it. I don't see any reason the guy would lie, and he mentioned it in passing (most people lying and claiming they found some new thing make a big deal about it, because getting attention is the reason for lying in the first place).

This actually wouldn't surprise me at all given some of the other changes made to Brawl that help close the gap between the decently skilled and the average newbie (auto-sweetspot, grab ledges behind you, better DI, homing tether recoveries usable as many times in the air as you want, slower pace, floatier feel, etc.).

And I really don't see why the computer couldn't know who is doing poorly - when you die, just before you respawn, it can look at your score VS everyone else's, or your remaining stock VS everyone else's depending on what mode you are in. That could form the basis of it deciding you need an extra boost. It could also take other factors into account, like if you had a very small amount of time between deaths, indicating people killed you pretty quickly and easily, and whether or not you've had an previous opportunities to use a Final Smash.

Once it decides you are doing significantly worse than everyone else, it grants you Final Smash charge as you spawn - giving you not only a free Final Smash but some invincibility frames to quickly activate it from! That would certainly give you a leg-up. It would actually make the FS's act somewhat like Supers in many other fighting games that charge up when you are hit a lot. I wonder if this feature can be turned on/off independantly of turning on/off the actual Smash Ball item?

Unfortunately, your right about this

Look at Samus throughout the game, he dies about 3 times without anyone else dying, then when he dies at 0:50, he revives with a free Final Smash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RSPe_qlDMU

True Fool

Smash Ace
Gimpy, you're the best unintentional suspense artist on any forum.

And just to you few people and your scumbaggery about Ike, MK, Mario, ect. It is a demo. Expect changes to be made to the game. You don't really think they'd let Pit have a broken recovery, or let Mario beat everyone to hell, do you?

And even if Ike is on bottom-tier, what about Gimpy, t!mmy, t0mmy, Taj, and everyone else who makes bottom-tier characters look awesome?

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
actually Nintendo has a hundred balence testers that have been playing 12 hours a day
for a long time now. Nothing anyone says about the game from the convention will change the game at all. It doesnt matter how bad IKE is Nintendo testers know alot more than anyone who attended the convention.

The game will change still, but not because of anyones oppinion from the convention.

True Fool

Smash Ace
No, I know that. I mean that if a character really is that brokenly bad/good that it will be fixed. I'm positve that we won't have a tier below bottom, or above top. I mean, right now in the demo, we have a bottom-tier that seems to be far from low-tier, and I would bet on it being changed to not contrast so poorly.

No, I didn't mean that Sakurai was listening to our complaints, too many biased character opinions if that was the case. I just mean that it's an unfinished game, there are bound to be issues, whether it be balance or glitches.

Don Muffin

Smash Journeyman
Gimpy: If you manage to read this, could you say what your impression was about having the tornado replace Mario's drill kick? I was crestfallen to learn this excellent move was taken out.

Also, is there any change to his fireballs/cape?

Zauron

Smash Journeyman

Look at Samus throughout the game, he dies about 3 times without anyone else dying, then when he dies at 0:50, he revives with a free Final Smash.

Wow, good eye. So it is true. Very insteresting. Again, I wonder if you can turn this feature off seperately of Smash Balls themselves? For that matter, could this be evidence that you can't turn off Final Smash's at all?

This feature is evidence that Final Smashes ARE considered different than just an item in the coding of the game. The fact that you can get a Final Smash without any item being involved at all shows that they are a much more of a key element of what makes Brawl what it is than just being a powerful item, akin to Supers in SF3.

I'm beginning to think it is quite reasonable that many tournaments will have items turned off but still allow Final Smashes, due to how integral they to the game's design and due to their effect on character-to-character balance (which no other item really changes significantly).

If FS's are turned off, is it really Brawl any more at that point, or just an attempt to recreate Melee?

Important to also consider is the effect Final Smashes would have on tier lists. Banning them could affect character power balance the same as if you banned, say, Side+B moves, where some characters would be largely unaffected but others would be severely hampered. It may be necessary to make 2 tier lists for Brawl, one with and one without Final Smashes, with tournaments that support both modes (again, assuming you can turn them off at all, which this feature casts some small doubt on). At least until the community has a LOT more time to test their impact in the competitive scene.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
the very option to turn off final smashes implies that they aren't a key element to the game like, oh, say, side+b moves. hence the fact (we assume) that we will be able to turn final smashes off and not side+b moves =/

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
the very option to turn off final smashes implies that they aren't a key element to the game like, oh, say, side+b moves. hence the fact (we assume) that we will be able to turn final smashes off and not side+b moves =/
The fact that they are not classified as an item, indicated by being able to gain Final Smashes without having a Smash Ball involved, calls into question the assumption that they CAN be turned off, and indicates they ARE considered as much a key element as any other character move.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
actually Nintendo has a hundred balence testers that have been playing 12 hours a day
for a long time now. Nothing anyone says about the game from the convention will change the game at all. It doesnt matter how bad IKE is Nintendo testers know alot more than anyone who attended the convention.

The game will change still, but not because of anyones oppinion from the convention.
The question is...are they good at the game=??? In Melee, Bowser was called by IGN "overpowered", and he's a bottom tier character, after being nerfed. Ya, you Bowser mains should thank IGN for making Bowser low-tier, otherwise he'd be in his Brawl form in Melee. More proof that IGN f***ing sucks at Brawl. I swear, a level 1 computer could w00p their a**es! :laugh:

Edit: Lol at their reaction to seeing Gimpyfish. That was great! XD

jacer

Smash Cadet
NNID
thejacer87
im thinking maybe the smash ball will be a seperate option .. aside from items.... it seems that theyre making this game very user friendly..IE four customizable controls , item switch(obviously)... etc

also off topic how do i get those kewl looking banners to go under my message

Salaad

Smash Ace
The question is...are they good at the game=??? In Melee, Bowser was called by IGN "overpowered", and he's a bottom tier character, after being nerfed. Ya, you Bowser mains should thank IGN for making Bowser low-tier, otherwise he'd be in his Brawl form in Melee. More proof that IGN f***ing sucks at Brawl. I swear, a level 1 computer could w00p their a**es! :laugh:

Let me see the vid! where is it?!

Elysium

Smash Lord
The question is...are they good at the game=???
That really is the question huh? Balance testers don't mean squat if they blow at the game. :laugh:
also off topic how do i get those kewl looking banners to go under my message
First you need to go find (or make one like yours truly) a banner, then in the sig part of the control panel, just click the add image button and put in the image url. BAM..... instacool! :)

jacer

Smash Cadet
NNID
thejacer87
Haven't we earned it though? :laugh:
That really is the question huh? Balance testers don't mean squat if they blow at the game. :laugh:

First you need to go find (or make one like yours truly) a banner, then in the sig part of the control panel, just click the add image button and put in the image url. BAM..... instacool! :)
thx man ..... now do you now where a good place to find sum are... or a good program to make on with

Elysium

Smash Lord
I haven't got the slightest clue on a good place to get them, maybe someone else could help you out with that. But if you want to try your hand and making your own, I used Paint.net. Tennis put the link up in his thread http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=119723 so I would suggest that. Also You if you have any question Tennis is also pretty skilled with the program I believe so you can ask him if your stuck.

On topic: Any bets on if Gimpy gets an update for us tonight? Perhaps if he doesn't have the time, the Dojo will give us a good one to tide us over.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
I personally wouldnt mind if final smashes were on in a tourney because you have to fight over them to get them, so it rewards the best player.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer

reaction to seeing gimpyfish?

hmm?

probably no update tonight guys, go to bed.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
and apparently it awards the worst player too by giving them a free final smash. <_<
I think you have to be doing pretty terribly to get the free final smash, I seriously doubt you can just trail behind by one stock or point or something and just use that free FS at the last second for an easy win.

Also I assume there'll probably be an option to turn off this "Last Chance Smash" or whatever you want to call it.

Elysium

Smash Lord

what do you mean by that? don't they still have to fight for the ball?
Normally yeah you have to fight for the SB, but it seems if your not doing to well, the game gives you a free FS.
probably no update tonight guys, go to bed.
This could be Gimpy mindgames.....:laugh:
Nah, though I commend your acts for the Homeless. Besides we got a good update on the Dojo.

Thino

Smash Master
That's because, in Melee, speed was an insane priority for a character. It didn't matter how strong or heavy Bowser was in Melee because all the faster characters could still keep him off balance and obliterate him. If Ike were in Melee, and were just as slow, he'd have been tossed aside about as quickly as Bowser was for that reason.

In Brawl, this does not seem to be the case. So despite his lack of speed, Ike's other characteristics actually COULD be enough to save him. If you've noticed, people have been talking more highly of Bowser lately for this very reason.
wrong. its because Ike, Fire Emblem,Marth, badass ,sword,bandanna etc... Bowser didnt look so cool in Melee

Bjay

Smash Lord
I think you have to be doing pretty terribly to get the free final smash, I seriously doubt you can just trail behind by one stock or point or something and just use that free FS at the last second for an easy win.

Also I assume there'll probably be an option to turn off this "Last Chance Smash" or whatever you want to call it.

Or you could just be up against a bunch of really good players :p

vincentninja68

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, once you got to play as Bowser, the whole game's challenge factor went from easy to none existent. Bowser's fire breath made it way too easy to defeat enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom