• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gingy's GnW notes

GingyCTMF

Smash Rookie
"But who's Gingy?"
I'm a South Florida GnW main (Ness secondary) who does pretty decently in one of the most stacked regions in the world. I decided to sell my Wii U today and in the process decided to drop by here and dump my notes on this character as well. Won't be sitting down right now to write everything I know down but I will post some (imo) useful lab stuff that took me some time and effort to come up with. So without further ado, heres what I've got:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66BMU7h1BRTNjZNdVdoTzBhZG8/view?usp=sharing

The above are useful notes I made against a few top tiers that I had trouble combo-ing at first. The rest of the cast is more intuitive to combo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B66BMU7h1BRTNFhiT2RvZnEzcFU/view?usp=sharing

My second link (above) are my notes on customs (in spreadsheet form). The more useful thing is the table on the right side which breaks down Custom Judgements' utility quantitatively.

Next are my preferences for customs:

normal chef for normal matches, matches where we will be close to opponent often but won't be getting wreckt for putting it out, and against Fox/falco since it can shut down most of their recovery options and force an easy-peasy edge-guard situation.
small order chef for camping matches, ie. olimar, toonlink.
xxl chef, maybe against bad recoveries?

no normal judgement
chain judge, better for damage and zoning, gotta test it out more
extreme judge is better for KOs, esp out of dthrow

normal up-b is great, i prefer it for floatier, lighter characters for combo potential.
heavy up-b is also great for killing (jab1>upb) and to dthrow diddy, sheik etc at 0% (dthrow>upb is 20%)
no-tramp up-b seems kind of bad. Slow and I lose horizontal recovery, plus it has no rising hitbox and its only hitbox does like 12%. I dont use it honestly.

normal panic against big projectile characters like lucario, samus, megaman and others
efficient panic against uncommon projectiles, like maybe Yoshi/ddd stars, diddy rockets. Could also be used against mario, zss, luigi who like to follow their projectiles.
super panic only against zard and bowser, maaaybe palutena since you can just completely shut down their fire-breath and auto-reticle.
And lastly, this following passage I stole from someone on this forum but it seemed useful and I often read it so I can work it into my play gradually (thanks whoever you are):

Really though, this isn't G&W's "potential". Potential is more like doing stuff to fastfallers with uthrow > second custom Up B > uair (both hits theoretically possible) and dthrow > utilt > second custom Up B > dair (spike) > potential fsmash wakeup or tech read into dash attack. Or doing combos from usmash at low percentages (I regularly get usmash > regular Up B, other stuff is possible but not intuitive).
Also, no one ever talks about doing bair > bair in the air with no landings, it's literally a true combo. And another fun fact: you can do dthrow > uair > uair on Dedede specifically, sometimes into an Up B!

That's all for now. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Top Bottom