• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Girl Friend and SSBB

g5otaku

Smash Cadet
Me and gf have been going out for a while(Thursday will be 1 year ). I'm generally a hardcore gamer all around. I'll play a game if its fun. My girlfriend on the other hand is a WoW addict. We play and on the same server and all but its kinda boring. So I figure. Hey, why not get her into Smash bros. She likes Mario and Sonic. I want to introduce it to her but shes never really played this type of game. Also should I take it easy on her in multilayer or should i "totly pwn" her so she learns from her mistakes. Mined you she's not your average "OH i <3 Final Fantasy 7 cloud is soooo cute!" girl gamer. She rocks it on CS and WoW.

....also she gets really angry when she loses. I still have bruises from wii sports.

thanks in advance.

P.s

its good to be here this looks like a pretty awesome community :D

/salute

g5

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
This is fairly obvious. If she hates losing, don't freaking beat her to a pulp in SSBB when first playing her. That's rude and will most likely turn the game off for her at the first sight.

Play hard, but not too hard so it's a rather fair fight. She likes Mario, she likes Sonic. She'll be able to pick up and play this kind of fighting game.

Also, turn on items. They make things really really fun when playing casual.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
2 words. Co-op Subspace. That way she gets used to how the characters play and move, and this way she also can't "lose" to you.

Mystery XIII

Smash Rookie
i have two girls dealing with smash. one that plays and owns me and both melee and 64 and one that gets angry when playing games in general so doesnt play. the one that's owning my @$$ im trying to get better so i can finally play on her level. as for the anger issue i'd say find something that'll make her laugh when she loses, it works for me sometimes.

pirkid

Smash Lord
What is with this girlfriend nonsense nowadays?

/kidding

Agree with Mic, use Co-Op SSE/Events/Multi-Man to get her used to the controls, fast.

Get her used to them controls.

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
my girlfriend and I are going to play through a bunch of the co-op modes. I believe that would be your best bet to get her started. Then maybe play a couple of team matches you 2 verses 2 others or 2 cpus.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
Lol. My gf is like this, if I go easy on her she gets mad that jokes like "OH WUT!? Im not good enough for u to go all out? huh is that how it is gosh." Then if I play srs, "Youre supoosedd to let mee wiinnnnnnnnnn."

So yea, SSE co-op. It's what ima do lol.

Coselm

Smash Ace
2 words. Co-op Subspace. That way she gets used to how the characters play and move, and this way she also can't "lose" to you.
That about covers it.

And when that gets stale, go online and be on a team with her and own random people, or other people you know.

Who knows... if you play your cards right she might take off her zero suit, bust your smash ball, and let you squirtle on her.

g5otaku

Smash Cadet
That about covers it.

And when that gets stale, go online and be on a team with her and own random people, or other people you know.

Who knows... if you play your cards right she might take off her zero suit, bust your smash ball, and let you squirtle on her.
XD

Will do lol!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Dang, Mic beat me to it. q:

But don't forget homerun contest, Multi Man Brawl, heck, even Event mode. It's too much to choose from. XD

But it looks like I'm too late to answer the question now am I?

kr3wman

Smash Master
If you try to get her into SSBB, atleast also provide her with time in Wow. It shouldn't degrade about you trying to "make" love what you "think" its best for her. Seriously.

IMO, Wow is great for tons of people, but it's hard to really find what you love at first. To "win" in Wow, most of the game comes down to who is trying to be the most efficient class/spec there is, and because of that, the fun factor gets out.

But since this is not a forum 'bout wow, I should STFU before this posts gets into another rant.

And, like it's been said before, Don't go to hard on her if she beats you...
unless you like it. And I shouldn't think about that. Seriously.

P.S.: Seriously.

bearquat3

Smash Rookie
Yeah, my girlfriend has gotten into it. I go a little easier on her so she doesn't get mad and we play with medium items. I did team battles and such for a while but that got old for me. The only problem is after I go easy on her she rubs it in my face when she wins, then I HAVE to beat her up a little bit... ;) Of course then she isn't having as much fun... Thank goodness for the online team fights and co-op modes in Brawl. :D

g5otaku

Smash Cadet
Dang, Mic beat me to it. q:

But don't forget homerun contest, Multi Man Brawl, heck, even Event mode. It's too much to choose from. XD

But it looks like I'm too late to answer the question now am I?
She would like homerun contest she does like beating up random inanimate objects.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
THIS.

Also, learn how to make close matches. When I'm playing someone who I'm a lot better than, I'll often start leaving myself open to attack a few times (fully charging smashes, etc) or intentionally wiff a few attacks. I keep going until I'm disadvantaged to the point where I need to be really careful for the rest of the match or risk loosing. It usually ends in a close match which is satisfying to my opponent.

They feel good because they were sooooo close, and get encouraged to keep trying, but I also make sure to punish mistakes and point out things they should try or things they can do better on.

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
Ummm my girl plays mario.....mario kart.....and i love katamari LOL bout it......she not a gamer at all!

it sucks in a way but she seems to hide how much she dislikes it and just happy to be with me when she is :) GL to all with girls that are not gamers for i am lucky that i have one that doesn't try to controll what i do i throw them in dumpster in about 2 days :)

null84

Smash Cadet
hey man i feel you. I got my gf into super smash. Well, I told her choose Samus because she can always charge up and shoot. I would strongly suggest you go easy on her. However, you should kick others ***. Thus, showing her that if she get as good as you, she can do a lot of stuff. At least thats how I got my gf into super smash, and she is almost as good as me now.

Hong

The Strongest
Well perhaps I can provide some perspective.

I play games with three of my gal pals consistantly, and we do prefer co-op over anything. Well, none of us are sore losers, we just prefer achieving the same goal together for some reason. Which would also explain why we've gone through so many MMoRPGs. ;P

After you've exhausted a lot of the co-op in Brawl and she's getting tired of losing to you in multiplayer, perhaps balance it out with other activities, or even other games. Me and my gal pals have a softheart for games like "Bubble Bobble", which is a NES title available on the Virtual Console. :)

Edit - I also don't recommend holding back in any way. Though, I should warn you if she wants to try something in the middle of the match or if you want to teach her something, give the woman some space.

I don't speak for the census, but I wouldn't want anyone holding back on me. That's no way to improve. :( A few rounds at best, if you must.

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
I'm feeling blessed that my girl isn't a gamer. Perhaps there can be too much in common in the ways of competition.

monkeyfan1

Smash Rookie
i was a wow addict mainly for the pvp aspect. what i liked most was high burst dps class pvp (fire mage, destro lock, elem sham) which felt a lot like a fighting game.

if she likes pvp a lot i can see her liking ssb.

buy like others said, yeah 2-player sse, multiman melee and all that might work. after a while of that i'd bet she'd say, "ok i want to kick your *** in vs mode now" lol

Top Bottom