• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

give a review of SSB64 using any grading system you want.

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
I've done this for Melee and Brawl, but now I figured that I should make one for my very first Smash Bros game.

THINGS I LIKE:
1. An all star cast of famous Nintendo characters and Stages.
2. Most simplistic of all Smash Bros games.
3. Deviates cleverly from other famous fighting games.

THINGS I DON'T LIKE:
1. Shallow single player mode.
2. Could've used more characters and stages.
3. Easily beatable within only 2-3 hours.

Overall, a great multiplayer game that laid the foundation for the Smash Bros. series.
B-!

Superstar

Smash Champion
I think Dash was kidding, he plays SSB64.

6 porcupines

And Warioman, what you listed no one really cares much for here. =/

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
No I just like to relay what other people say to me when I say I like this game to the forums (or any topic with forums) and I just troll with it. That's my secret.

I find it funny in my own weird way, sorry.

JBSC

Smash Journeyman
one thing, its not the most simplistic of all the games, *cough* brawl *cough*

Superstar

Smash Champion
Nah, I understand Dash. You said 64 sucks in the 64 board, which is not used to such statements, so it's not like trolling Brawl. So I knew you were looking for a response. XD

Daed is correct you know. :p Competitve 64 players don't mind the small amount of characters [stages yeh], and single player mode doesn't matter to anyone really. Everyone just plays with their friends on console or online.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
lol i gotta reply wario

BEST:

1. Combo possibilities
2. Simple yet deep
3. You can also play on emulator + Online mode that works great
4. You don't need as much speed/finger skills as melee

WORST:

1. Very few stages and not many characters
2. Some hitboxes are too big and some attacks have too much priority
3. N64 controller sux

Seala

Smash Apprentice
But the characters have like, only three moves, though you are right about Brawl being easy.
Made my day :D Accualy you have the same amount of moves in the original as you have in brawl, with the exception of air dodges and 2 more throw options. (AND MORE TAUNTS LOL). Oh right, there's the side b moves to... those are just annoying if you ask me. What if I want to do a falcon punch while jumping towards someone? Oh yeah, I have the first jump, then let the stick go back to neutral before pressing b, great.

WP.

Smash Rookie
ssb64 = 10 malvas
ssbmelee= 10 meowkittys (ouch)
ssbb= 10 craiggs (god****)

HolyPie

Smash Cadet
lol i gotta reply wario

BEST:

1. Combo possibilities
2. Simple yet deep
3. You can also play on emulator + Online mode that works great
4. You don't need as much speed/finger skills as melee

WORST:

1. Very few stages and not many characters
2. Some hitboxes are too big and some attacks have too much priority
3. N64 controller sux
Erm, people, can I ask a question?

I have seen OVER 9000!!!1!!!1ONE!!!ONE!1! people say that the N64 controller sucks, because the joystick wears out WAY too fast.

Isn't there any primitive way to prevent this?

I ordered a Nintendo 64 + 2 controller + SSB, they get delivered tomorrow.
And I don't want to buy new controllers every month.

Any tips?

(Yes I googled for 'Fixing N64 controller' and crap, didn't got anything useful.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
Pika and kirby are just as broken as Fox/falcon and Marth >_>
Melee Falco is ridiculous, though he's the only reason I play melee ever. He's fun.

IN TRUTH I rate SSB64 9/10.

It's a great game with a very nice feel, but I wouldn't call it perfect it does have flaws (WTF KIRBY UPTILT RANGE).

MattNF

Smash Lord
I agree with Sheer. SSB64 is fun, but Melee is better. It definitely takes more skill to play Melee competitively than SSB64 competitively. In SSB64, any noob can pick up Kirby or Pikachu and do a 70% damage Utilt combo, but large combos like those are a lot harder to pull off in Melee.

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
I agree with Sheer. SSB64 is fun, but Melee is better. It definitely takes more skill to play Melee competitively than SSB64 competitively. In SSB64, any noob can pick up Kirby or Pikachu and do a 70% damage Utilt combo, but large combos like those are a lot harder to pull off in Melee.
You can DI out of pikachu's up tilt easily. Kirby really can't have a good finish at that high percent and you can possibly DI out of the up tilts by that time.

Melee may be faster, but that doesn't mean it takes more skill. They both take strategy and technical skill to be a good player so they're both good games.

My biggest beef with Melee is that the fast characters are way too powerful for their speed like Marth and these characters can overpower the other characters too easily.

D

Deleted member

64 isn't broken

Unless you think that every character having a decent combo/edgeguard against almost everybody else = broken. It's balance by having every character be viable, kind of like street fighter 2 or king of fighters 98 ( a bad analogy)

Melee is much harder to win with somebody in the lower tiers against a high tier character unless it is some weird matchup. This is assuming both players are competent, yet roughly equally skilled players.
You could say this is a result of having 26 characters instead of 12.

This doesn't change the fact that character balance is worse than ssb

Brawl is even worse

--

64 is a better competitive game than Brawl and should have its own scene despite its age and being overlooked in its earlier years though it looks like finally things are picking up

Top Bottom