• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Go ahead and download Smash for Wii U to a USB memory stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Removable flash memory (SD Card or USB stick) are basically the same as flash cards, functionally and on a memory level, it's just connectors for the most part that are different. This type of technology has a limited lifespan:
networkcomputing.com said:
The life span of solid-state storage is affected by how often data is written to it. As we discussed in the previous entry, the more often data is written to the flash memory area the faster that the flash storage will wear out. It is important to realize that wear leveling only makes sure that the flash cells wear out at basically the same time, it does nothing to make a flash memory cell be able to accept more write cycles than it could before. In other words, it brings predictability to flash storage but not necessarily reliability. As we discussed in our article "Flash SSD is Reliable Now" there are basically three types of flash memory available: Single Level Cell (SLC), Multi-Level Cell (MLC) and the newer Enterprise MLC (eMLC). One of the major differences between these three flash memory types is how many write cycles they can handle, MLC is rated for about 5,000 writes, eMLC for about 30,000, and SLC for around 100,000. Since no one wants to track the number of writes to their storage system, most manufacturers will convert this number to years.

The biggest concern with flash storage life expectancy, or endurance, is when data is constantly being written back and forth to the devices. The best examples of technologies that do this are caching and automated tiering techniques. In these use cases, data on the mechanical hard drive-based tier is constantly being analyzed and when that data becomes active it is promoted to the solid-state tier or cache. Depending on the frequency of these refreshes, this can mean that the solid-state storage can be constantly refreshed many times during the day. In an environment where data turnover is extremely high, it is possible to wear through solid-state storage faster than you might expect.
source

That lifespan is based on the number of times the memory can be written to.
Nintendo recognizes that and posted this listing on their Wii U support page:
Can I use a Flash/Thumb drive as an external storage device?
  • Because these devices have a limited number of rewrites and are not suited to long-term storage of important game data, we do not recommend the use of Flash/thumb drives as an external storage device solution. For best results, we recommend using a hard drive with its own power supply that connects to the Wii U via the USB port on the console.
  • Commercial Flash memory has a limit on the number of times you can write over it and we don't recommend flash memory devices for long-term storage of important save data.
This is generally good advice, but that same type of memory is being used for all 3DS downloads
What Are SD Cards Used For?
Applies to: Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo 2DS

Note:
Folders and files with hierarchies deeper than eight levels will not be displayed.

Information:
The system comes with an SDHC Card inserted into the SD Card slot. With SD Cards you will be able to save photos you have taken with the system or play music saved to the SD Card. (The data that can be saved to an SD Card varies depending on the software.) Software that you have downloaded, other than DSiWare, is saved to the SD Card.

The following outlines the potential uses for SD Memory Cards when used with Nintendo 3DS family systems.

An SD Memory Card can hold:

• Up to 300 software titles
  • Up to 180 sound files
  • Up to 3,000 photos
  • Up to 3,000 music files
Having purchased Smash Bros for 3DS on the eShop, I've been running the game from my SD card since it was released. With support for up to 299 additional titles (That seems like an operating system limit, not a storage limit) I feel like the expression "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" applies. If the memory is good enough for Smash on the 3DS, why not Smash on the Wii U? It would be cost effective to install Smash to a 32GB USB memory stick (At the time of this writing they're around $15 each online) and then in a year or so copy/move the data to an additional memory stick using the data management tool within the Wii U settings.

This would add up over time, but if you're strapped for cash this shouldn't give you any problems in the short term.

TLDR and summary;

Nintendo is saying "You really shouldn't use a USB memory stick for the Wii U's external storage because of write limits. But, as that's the only way you can download games with the 3DS, go ahead and do that. It'll be fine, don't worry about it."

A good friend of mine said "They're conveniently looking away from that for the sake of mobile storage, since it's unreasonable to expect you to have a HDD in a 3DS, since the power requirements, storage space, and cost are far more favorable for a mobile system. They can reasonably recommend the more traditional and long-term reliable solution of a HDD for a Wii U because it's just sitting on your shelf, you don't have to fit it in your pocket and have it self-powered."

I agree. They're not discouraging USB drives on the Wii U as much as they're encouraging something better.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
No offense please, but I am not getting it:
There is evidence that Flashdrives are not really good if its often written on it
Nintendo themselves say that too
Now it is fine to use it on the Wii U?

And doesn't the Wii U put more power into stuff than the 3DS? I am confused

Mechageo

Smash Ace
The flash memory read/write cycles are robust enough that most users are incredibly unlikely to ever reach them in normal use, you have to be doing something like using a flash drive as a swap disk for 10 years to hit the limit, or something like that, but it's still something to be aware of.

Logically, it's fine. The point is that the memory in these devices is the same. The USB spec has standard USB ports providing up to .5 amps of power. This is enough to power a USB memory stick. The additional power that Nintendo's talking about goes toward powering the spinning disk in a traditional hard drive. The power of the system's CPU and all that really doesn't have anything to do with how external storage is utilized, if that makes sense.

Besides, the Wii U uses flash memory for its internal storage in the first place. It might be higher quality than your average USB stick, but it's the same type of media.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Not all flash memory is created equal. The read/write tolerance of a full SSD vs a random USB stick are totally different. They are entirely different tiers of NAND quality.

Still. Wearing out a 16 GB USB drive is way better than wearing out your WiiU's laser assembly. People who are buying discs are, to be blunt, foolish.

I went through 2 Wii disc drives playing Brawl.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am actually considering the idea of buying an USB flash drive, because I don't have the founds to buy an external HD at the moment.

Hopefully it works fine.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Good write up. But you fail to mention that the number of reads a sector on a SSD or flash device before the sector dies will take years (on average to occur). Most likely Smash 5 will be out long before the device you have Smash 4 on dies. Of cause with intense amounts of reads and writes this time will be less. But it's still in the timeframe of years.

If you want to keep Smash 4 on a USB stick or similar and play it off the USB stick constantly for years then you'll have an issue. But if you just use the USB stick as a storage device and copy the game to the WiiU to play it, you'll have a lot less reads/writes to he USB stick so much less of a problem of drive sector failing.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
If you want to keep Smash 4 on a USB stick or similar and play it off the USB stick constantly for years then you'll have an issue. But if you just use the USB stick as a storage device and copy the game to the WiiU to play it, you'll have a lot less reads/writes to he USB stick so much less of a problem of drive sector failing.
I dun get it again. I don't want to waste Wii U save and instead want SSB4 Space to be wasted on the USB Stick (Let us say it is 32GB) Is this now a possibility or not?

Because sometimes here in Europe(Germany), some USB Sticks are cheapass and like 8€ for 16 GB. Not sure about there quality, but yeah

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I dun get it again. I don't want to waste Wii U save and instead want SSB4 Space to be wasted on the USB Stick (Let us say it is 32GB) Is this now a possibility or not?

Because sometimes here in Europe(Germany), some USB Sticks are cheapass and like 8€ for 16 GB. Not sure about there quality, but yeah
This is a possibility.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Not all flash memory is created equal. The read/write tolerance of a full SSD vs a random USB stick are totally different. They are entirely different tiers of NAND quality.

Still. Wearing out a 16 GB USB drive is way better than wearing out your WiiU's laser assembly. People who are buying discs are, to be blunt, foolish.

I went through 2 Wii disc drives playing Brawl.
Funny, because out of all the consoles I have owned, they all function properly, and never had to be sent in for repairs. And also went through 0 disc drives, so I am going to go disc. Wii U discs should have more space on them, and I highly doubt they are dual layering the disc again.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Funny, because out of all the consoles I have owned, they all function properly, and never had to be sent in for repairs. And also went through 0 disc drives, so I am going to go disc. Wii U discs should have more space on them, and I highly doubt they are dual layering the disc again.
There is always a first time for everything. And prevention is better tan the cure.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My own portable hard drive only lasted for about 1 year when I switched to using USB Loaders for my Wii in late 2010. By September 2011, it was having a hard time trying to maintain a connection with my own computer and Wii, and as such, I couldn't play any of my Wii games without a potential connection problem. I later switched to a 128 GB Flash Drive, and that resolved my problem.

Clearly, if you want a long-lasting portable hard drive, you'd have to use one that can be plugged into a power outlet, but I guess the type of USB cables that are used can play a big factor in all of this too.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
There is always a first time for everything. And prevention is better tan the cure.
True. But I highly doubt that my Wii U is gonna croak any time soon, especially since I got one new a week ago. The Wii wouldn't surprise me, since it is pretty old, and I clocked in quite the number of hours on it. Hell, I am still surprised my ps2 hasn't kicked the bucket yet, and mY 360 arcade stilL hasn't gotten the rrod yet.

Even then though, I have had rather good experiences with my consoles, so I'll take my chances. Also, I am not a fan of the fact that my games are not saved to my account if I go digital on Nintendo consoles. Plus, if I want to take my copy of smash to a friend's house, I could do that, instead of lugging around my Wii U with me.

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I am unable to even download Smash 4 to my 32G Wii U!? I don't understand I have no save data on it but im short 20gb for some reason. Are any of you able to download Smash 4 straight to your console?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I am unable to even download Smash 4 to my 32G Wii U!? I don't understand I have no save data on it but im short 20gb for some reason. Are any of you able to download Smash 4 straight to your console?
Some software is pre-loaded onto a factory condition Wii U system. You can check the system settings to see for yourself.

Maniacmatt

Smash Rookie
So I got a 32 GB flash drive and moved some save data over to that then downloaded Smash straight to my Wii U. My question is will it matter if I play a game I have on disc when the save data is on the flash drive? I'm pretty un knowledgable about this stuff, so I was just wondering if it will affect it.

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
I'll probably buy a 1TB portable drive along the line and sell my physical games

Mechageo

Smash Ace
So I got a 32 GB flash drive and moved some save data over to that then downloaded Smash straight to my Wii U. My question is will it matter if I play a game I have on disc when the save data is on the flash drive? I'm pretty un knowledgable about this stuff, so I was just wondering if it will affect it.
Not from what I've seen in my tests.

Finding Waldo

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
Does this work for making backups? I have Smash on a disc and want a save data with equipment, and one with all the equipment erased for randoms with customs.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Speaking from experience in the PC side of things, I have no faith in USB sticks for long-term storage due to the sheer number of times I've had data corruption on said sticks. Whether the stick stored only 32 MB or multiple GB, they're all unreliable for the long term. As far as I'm concerned, they are just a more modern version of floppy disks, and I regard them as such. That is, they're fine for short-term storage of data as long as they are backed up onto hard drives or some other more reliable media.

Due to these experiences, I strictly stay with physical discs when it comes to console gaming. They are read-only and therefore far less likely to be corrupted (though they are certainly vulnerable to scratches or extreme temperatures.) I'd much rather use the Wii U's limited hard drive for storing data than for anything else, but that's my two cents. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom