• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

God I cant take Captain Olimar >:(

Skarmbliss

Smash Cadet
I hate problems playing against Olimar. Every time I approach him, he grabs me and combos the living crap out of me. Every time I glide toss back, he puts up his shield. If im in the air or ground, he simply flicks his silly little C-stick from where ever direction I approach from.

There was one game on BattleField where he litterally 4 stocked me. Not because im a bad Diddy Kong player but I couldnt even pull out the bananas and those annoying platforms get in the way.

Any solutions as too how to beat a good Olimar player?

viparagon

Smash Ace
God, I saw I cant take Captain...
For the post and I was like ZOMGWTF is wrong with you!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Okay, I'm being serious now. Don't play defensively, as an olimar main you know why (SIDE+B). Spacing is very important in this matchup and you need to take advantage of your spot dodge. After you successfully dodge a Fsmash or grab, run and do a cartwheel to fair combo, or a Fsmash before he recovers. Once hes in the air, try to juggle him with fairs and uairs until he's off the stage. Above all , you have to keep pressuring him. When he gets back to the ground don't give him the chance to "get his groove back". Once hes off the stage, fair and edge hog to your hearts content. Hope that helps

Count

Smash Champion
Just out of curiosity was this a gamebattles match? Was it versus that andyg guy..just curious since he is #1 and an olimar main. I have trouble with olimars also.

Skarmbliss

Smash Cadet
AndyG was actually my Round 2 brawl opponent on GB.

Game 1: Game came close until my finger slipped when i tried the UP B. It took place in Final Destination

Game 2: I lost horrible at Battlefiled. I got 4 stocked and couldnt do a thing against AndyG's olimar.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I know how you feel about Andy, i couldnt figure how to beat him either, well til our most recent games. You have to wait for the moment he's vulnerable then throw a banana. Try jumping and throwing it to sometimes people dont expect it

IDK

Smash Lord
ok this one's pretty easy for me... JUST GIMP HIM. anytime he's recovering just hang out on the edge. funnnnn.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
AndyG was actually my Round 2 brawl opponent on GB.

Game 1: Game came close until my finger slipped when i tried the UP B. It took place in Final Destination

Game 2: I lost horrible at Battlefiled. I got 4 stocked and couldnt do a thing against AndyG's olimar.
Yeah Battlefield is a good Olimar stage and isn't Diddy's best.. I'd suggest banning it (though there could be a better stage to ban, that's the one that comes to mind for me).

Use bananas (and peanuts if you want to) to hit / deflect pikmin when you're on the defensive. On the offensive give him as little time as possible to do anything. Keep him under projectile pressure until you can approach him safely, then begin using your short range attacks / combos.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
throw bannanas at him

I second that. to elaborate a bit, olimar is a ground fighter and nannerz can really take him out of his element.

And dont get grabbed! olimars grab range and speed is nasty, you just have to learn to watch out for that.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
ok this one's pretty easy for me... JUST GIMP HIM. anytime he's recovering just hang out on the edge. funnnnn.
and i forgot to say that as I think its kind of common knowledge when fighting olimar but ya, his recovery sucks beans.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I second that. to elaborate a bit, olimar is a ground fighter and nannerz can really take him out of his element.

And dont get grabbed! olimars grab range and speed is nasty, you just have to learn to watch out for that.

You can't just throw bananas at him with little strategy at all, his side-b, his Fsmash, Dsmash, Usmash, anything that involves pikmin really can block it plus the shield. You have to wait for openings or mind game them into it.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
ironically enough, someone recorded a tourney set i had against an olimar a few weeks ago. im at work now, so i cant link to it on youtube. If you really want to see it now, look for user mankosuki, then its GDX vs fearless. there should be 2 seperate videos for games 1-2 and game 3, respectively

i hate fighting olimars with a passion. im just scared when i fight them (you can tell im scared when i roll alot). Everyone else already had it right when they said things like dont get grabbed, never let him be under you, gimp his recovery, etc. Actually, you shouldn't try to fight olimar head on for the entire fight. your only goal should be to just get him off of the stage and edgehog. I've played this olimar player times before, so I was probably more aggressive and less gimp-minded than a diddy probably should be against olimar

IDK

Smash Lord
ok lol sorry for that one, but i still don't find it impossible to gimp him. yesterday i was playing my friend's olimar, and just hanging out on the edge when i hit him off one time. he hit me with the up b, i got stagespiked straight at him, and footstooled him right back to the stage. this is usually where it hits you from that position, so i knew what to do. you can also renew your frames the normal ways. i, personally like to tap away, jump, immediately airdodge, and DI to the stage. there isn't much time where you're vulnerable.

RichBrown

Smash Master
heh, I'm an olimar main and I struggle like crazy with diddy, so this topic made me smile ^_^ ya gotta somehow find a way to get a banana game going. be super aggressive. olimar is gimped easily and diddy has great air priority. try running (not jumping) off the stage and attacking, then simply grabbing the ledge. olimar can't do much.

ironically, this topic has given me some ideas to counter diddy, mwuahahahaha.

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
heh, I'm an olimar main and I struggle like crazy with diddy, so this topic made me smile ^_^ ya gotta somehow find a way to get a banana game going. be super aggressive. olimar is gimped easily and diddy has great air priority. try running (not jumping) off the stage and attacking, then simply grabbing the ledge. olimar can't do much.

That pretty much sums it in a peanut shell. :chuckle:

diddykongsnaners

Smash Apprentice
try go glide toss into him, if you try to jump try not to come in straight from above, but at a 75 angle, as for platformed stages, i got nothing

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
A smart Olimar doesn't need to move much, and while you're setting up bannanas he's setting up 40% damage worth of Pikmin on you.

Olimar is a good Diddy counter pick because Diddy doesn't have a good forward-air poke to pre-empt his attacks with, which is how I almost got AndyG's olimar on wifi when I played him with ROB. The best strategies against Olimar involve projectiles that stun and can be spammed relatively well along with strong controlled aggression and continually throwing him off the stage to open up gimps. I'd recommend using less bananas and more peanuts and side-B to get around his pikmin, and then once you have some time, set up a banana and go for a good combo into a throw off-stage.

Good DI is an absolute MUST in this matchup as well.

Top Bottom