• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

God Speed: What makes a good smasher?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Hmm... what defines a good smash player...

Well what defines a good chess player?
Knowledge, You at least have to know the rules you are bound by.
Technique, knowing how to react in each situation, knowing how to put your a opponet in a place where he can't win.
Mindgames, heh, something to make your opponent wonder, a wasted move, an intentional hole in defence
Conditioning, mentaly of course, keeping your head in the game no mater how bad it looks.

yep... that right there is the basis of all competion right there.

You see for me its always been hard to label people as good and bad, I'll use myself as an example. I suck at smash... In my eyes at least I see my flaws every time I leave myself open, everytime I miss a chance to apraoch, every mistake. But since I've come down here for college I haven't been beaten once, and I'm talking 20+ hours of playing. These people I beat I still se them as better than me, based on the knowledge they have they can't possibly beat me, it's like they move thier queen aroun dthe board as if she a pawn. they don't know the rules that define thier characters and because of this they limt thier potential.

the "good" smash player is a prefect player, a person who never makes a error because they can look and see 20 moves a head, that doesn't require technique or mind games though, all you need are the rules.

Royal Flush

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the cards Ten, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace suite
<3 said:
Hmm... what defines a good smash player...

Well what defines a good chess player?
Knowledge, You at least have to know the rules you are bound by.
Technique, knowing how to react in each situation, knowing how to put your a opponet in a place where he can't win.
Mindgames, heh, something to make your opponent wonder, a wasted move, an intentional hole in defence
Conditioning, mentaly of course, keeping your head in the game no mater how bad it looks.

yep... that right there is the basis of all competion right there.

You see for me its always been hard to label people as good and bad, I'll use myself as an example. I suck at smash... In my eyes at least I see my flaws every time I leave myself open, everytime I miss a chance to apraoch, every mistake. But since I've come down here for college I haven't been beaten once, and I'm talking 20+ hours of playing. These people I beat I still se them as better than me, based on the knowledge they have they can't possibly beat me, it's like they move thier queen aroun dthe board as if she a pawn. they don't know the rules that define thier characters and because of this they limt thier potential.

the "good" smash player is a prefect player, a person who never makes a error because they can look and see 20 moves a head, that doesn't require technique or mind games though, all you need are the rules.
True, the rules are the only stuff you need to know to be "good" in SSB games. I still don`t think good is the best way to describe a smasher. A better way to would be for example the amount of years the person has owned a smash game because you rarely see someone who
owned a game for years play like a n00b. You said that technique and mindgames aren`t required to gain experience, I agree and disagree with that. I suppose there are a few people who are great fighters that improvise but for most it`s probably best to have a general strategy though that is kind of hard also because "no two fights are alike in smash!"

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
All of the aforementioned make a good smasher. Some of you are debating over what makes one person the best smasher, and the answer is by distinguishing oneself over the others. Why is Ken claimed by MLG as #1 in the world?

- he knows all about smash
- he is smart
- he is cheap
- he has incredible hand-eye coordination and gamer's intuition
- he keeps his cool when the pressure is hot
- he does what is necessary to win, period

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
i personally think u need patience aswell. while trying to learn all the combows etc u will most likely get frustrated at some point which may lead to u wanting to give up on it...just like me lol.
if u have patience then ull stat calm through the frustraiting time

Xelyst

-_-
Someone who adapts quickly and learns is good, but someone who has the natural talent and basically is intune to the game is a good player..... like i'm going to explain... theres so much

DemonLord57

Smash Rookie
this is kind of a small post, but I feel its important to show this, because (no offense) it explains the aspects of what makes a good player better, and the more links to something really good (and thus more chance for someone to see it) the better, right?

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=94597

I especially like the explanation of "physical" better (reactions and predictions) because it was obvious to me that these are very important and are trained naturally, just by playing the game and "getting used to" the rhythm and such. He doesn't really explain the natural progression of skill as well as I think it could've been explained; reflexes improve because you get "used to" the game, being able to spot more easily certain things, sort of reducing it to "I see 'this' movement", "that" is happening from "I see him moving his arm downwards and taking hold of a sword and then moving it outwards with flashes coming out", ow... Sort of like being able to analyze the situation more quickly, and it especially develops when we know what naturally follows from one thing to the next. Kind of like: you see a ball flying through the air at 70 mph, and you can follow it, because you can predict its movement, but when something is flying erratically, like a fly or something, it is hard to follow its movement, not because it's faster (it's slower), but because you can't predict where it will go next.
that's not as small as i thought it would be, but meh.

DemonLord57

Smash Rookie
should I not have? What's wrong with reviving an old thread if I have more to say? It's not like there was a question that was already answered, it was just discussion.

DemonLord57

Smash Rookie
I think its more that he's frustrated with the speed and that he can't keep up infinite combos easily like he can in ssb 64. In ssb 64, he is king, and it probably takes basically no effort on his part anymore. In ssbm, he's just another pro. (albeit a really good one)

smash_rob

Smash Rookie
Hard work will only get you so far, if you don't have some sort of genius inside you (read: Kyuubi).

Yeah.
that can be said about anything that takes skill however...

genius is being able to do something which 99.9% of the population can do with hard work and dedication effortlessly.. i like those odds!

Top Bottom