• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to my first tournament as Samus what do I need to know?

A4k1ng

Smash Rookie
I know all basic tech like wavedashing l-cancelling etc, and I'm hoping to not get destroyed at the tournament. I haven't really been able to play people that aren't CPUs other then my brother, and tips on how to do good?

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Some extra advice: Come prepared to get wrecked, but stay confident and learn from every game.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
And change up your gameplay to the style of your opponent

Smash Journeyman
It's your first tournament. It's very likely that you'll get destroyed. In your first, and your second, and really in every tournament, play to learn. Optimize for finding problems in your play so that you can practice ironing them out at home and in friendlies.

Your goal should be to think about decision-making mistakes that you're making (things like hitting shields unsafely, trying to hit them after the timing window is over, bad out-of-shield / off the ledge options, etc). Hopefully if you make such a mistake, your opponent will be able to punish you; make a note of what action you took (and what position / state you and he were in) that let him hit you, and try not to make that same mistake again.

Try to play as many friendlies with good players (or at least, players better than you) as possible, and ask about what kinds of unsafe things you're doing. Good players can help you recognize the mistakes you're making faster, both by punishing them and talking about them (if they're willing to.) Take advantage of that!

Last edited:

[S0M4] Ghostwriter

Smash Rookie
A pocketed charge shot makes most players twitchy just knowing it's there. It's a fun trick to charge it bit by bit throughout a stock, then simply 'forget' about it. It forces your opponents to play more defensively, strengthening your approach. False reads on the opponent's side will make them easily punished. Mental game is crucial, I think.

Though my first tournament as Samus was this weekend, so these comments are just as helpful for me, haha.

Last edited:
just dash at them and shield, they'll do something then you can up+b them. they'll hate you after they fall for that 4 times in one minute.

if they come close and you're not shielding, then crouch-cancel everything into dtilts.

use nair liberally. slather all over their body.

play safe and eventually they'll edgeguard themselves.

Top Bottom