• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GoldenEye (Wii)

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I'm not sure... If this one is another "run 'n gun" type, I'd rather get something else for that. But if it has more of a "Spy vs Spy" (not the old game mind you, just generally speaking) feel in terms of multiplayer, then that would be worth considering, IMO.

MrBlueSky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RowdyRags
lol epic bump.

Microsoft is pissed cause they bought Rare but still don't get GoldenEye :D

I'm not sure what legal action they can take, since I'm not on expert on these things. But Activision owns the 007 content and the game was licensed for Nintendo.

They are adding a lot of new mechanics to the game. Hopefully the melee attacks won't make people circle strafe towards there opponent so they can disarm them.

If shooting someone doesn't make them flinch in mutliplayer I'm not even going to play it. That's the most important thing about GE. It punishes people who run straight forward and gives defensive players an advantage. You can make aiming easier, but without flinching, its like every other shooting game.

Also, why does GoldenEye get no respect? I was expecting huge buzz when I first posted this thread.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Eh, I loved the original game to bits when it came out but I am seriously unenthusiastic about this. Not sure why. It's unnecessary, and just looks bland. I'm waiting to find out how good the multiplayer is as that is literally the only thing that will sell the game for me.

MrBlueSky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RowdyRags
Just saw a video of multiplayer...

:/

Its exactly like the other games. Just Call of Duty with a James Bond theme slapped on. Pathetic. I cant believe I fell for this. Players start out with weapons, and players have been seen running straight into a gun fight. Circle strafe madness ensues. No defense what so ever.

**** it Activision. Why hasn't Rare made another shooter yet -_-

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Just saw a video of multiplayer...

:/

Its exactly like the other games. Just Call of Duty with a James Bond theme slapped on. Pathetic. I cant believe I fell for this. Players start out with weapons, and players have been seen running straight into a gun fight. Circle strafe madness ensues. No defense what so ever.

**** it Activision. Why hasn't Rare made another shooter yet -_-
Because they're busy making Avatars for the 360 and Kinect games. The Rare you used to know and love is dead.

finalark

SNORLAX
The only reason why I'm even vaguely interested in this is just because it has emphasis on local multiplayer, something I really miss.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I want DKCR and Sonic Colors far more. But I'm a loser at fps.

shanus

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm really interested i nhearing how it is. I haven't found any reviews yet?

PD4FR

Smash Ace
The only reason why I'm even vaguely interested in this is just because it has emphasis on local multiplayer, something I really miss.
I miss local play so much. Multiplayer just isn't the same anymore. <3

I haven't played it, but it looks to me like they took out the most important aspect of Goldeneye out: the freedom. As far as I can see, you now have to knife the guy in the first level, and you have to ride the truck. What were they thinking? :040:

finalark

SNORLAX
\
EDIT: IGN gave it a score of 9.0/10

Pretty good. :)
IGN also gave War for Cybertron, a pretty average FPS, a 9/10.

But it did get some pretty solid reviews. I'm probably gonna go pick this up just because so many of my friends are interested in it and I love me some local multiplayer.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Yeah, all my friends are going ape**** over it. Seems the first one may have been a dud (Other M, it is meh... like 8/10 where as most Metroids are 9.5+, and I only say this because its too ***( short), but Kirby/Goldeneye delivered! (Kirby is short too, but it's expected).

DKCR come on! :3

Question though, is Classic Pro the controller of choice?

finalark

SNORLAX
Question though, is Classic Pro the controller of choice?
I don't own a CCP so I'm just playing with the regular CC. I have to say, it's a ton of fun. I've played a few online multiplayer matches and a little bit of the campaign. I'd have to describe the game play as a mix of every recent major shooter, mostly CoD. But at the same time it manages to add it's own flavor to the mix creating a fun and pretty addictive game.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't like CoD. Or Goldeneye 64.

Of course, regardless of how awesome it is I know someone is gonna complain about it not being the N64 game with better graphics.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Actually, Gamespot, where flaming begins, has a board full of love for the game. I think it might just be a good game tbh. I'm not into FPS past Metroid, but I'm glad it's good ;)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
It's alright. I'm just more or less curious on Ninty's E3 projects that are coming out XD (Like, how they fare(

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I don't own a CCP so I'm just playing with the regular CC. I have to say, it's a ton of fun. I've played a few online multiplayer matches and a little bit of the campaign. I'd have to describe the game play as a mix of every recent major shooter, mostly CoD. But at the same time it manages to add it's own flavor to the mix creating a fun and pretty addictive game.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't like CoD. Or Goldeneye 64.

Of course, regardless of how awesome it is I know someone is gonna complain about it not being the N64 game with better graphics.
yeah, I'm getting a little hyped about it now. are the wii-nunchuk controls on the level of Metroid Prime 3 style?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Sucks how it doesn't have co-op. But I think it allows split-screen online for multiplayer?

kupo15

Smash Hero
It's pretty funny that once Rare went to Microsoft, they almost immediately stopped making good games.
It makes sense seeing Rare's history and how they unconventionally got hired by Nintendo. They realized in the NES days that this would be big and decided to hop on. NES had lockout chips so they bought a bunch of different games and obsessively spent so much time reverse engineering how the NES worked and how to bypass the lock out chip. Then they eventually made their own games from existing ones (similar to myiamoto I think) and presented all their research and games to Nintendo.

They also had a work ethic that only allowed time for working and 6(?) hours of sleeping. I would be pissed and not care about making games if I was sold to another company after I was just as fluent in Nintendo everything as Nintendo themselves

But you are actually incorrect because once Rare moved, then the top programmers left Rare and founded Free Radical where they made some amazing games including Timesplitters and Second Sight.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Rare left Nintendo. Not pushed away.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think you are right. The company started to fall apart with ppl quitting and making their own companies around the making of Perfect Dark. This meant the top programmers weren't in Rare when they were sold to Microsoft.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I don't think it was sold so much as they ditched Nintendo, kinda like what Square Enix did to Nintendo. Maybe I'm wrong, but iirc, a lot of companies were kinda "meh" to Nintendo. (Cause I can't see Ninty dropping SE after VI)

finalark

SNORLAX
yeah, I'm getting a little hyped about it now. are the wii-nunchuk controls on the level of Metroid Prime 3 style?
Hate to say it, but pretty much every other control scheme that isn't the CC or GCC sucks. This game was made with the classic controller in mind so you should probably get one if you want this game.

Sucks how it doesn't have co-op. But I think it allows split-screen online for multiplayer?
I don't think so. The online multiplayer is fantastic, a few friends are coming over later on today. I'll tell you how local is when we're done.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Hate to say it, but pretty much every other control scheme that isn't the CC or GCC sucks. This game was made with the classic controller in mind so you should probably get one if you want this game.
Does the control scheme have the same amount of customization as The Conduit did? That's my main question.

Anyway, a friend of mine just got this game, so I'll be trying it out soon. Considering how much I loved the original, I'm really looking forward to it.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Just beat the training and the first mission of the game. I can't stand the Wiimote controls so I switched to my Wavebird. It's soooooo much better IMO.

So far the game is pretty good! It's a shame there's no co-op or split-screen online though, oh well.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Actually I have yet to have a problem with lag.
That in itself is pretty amazing! This may encourage me to buy it. <3

Oh, and about the single-player: is there freedom? If you played the original, you should know what I'm talking about. You know, I'm not into the whole "You have to knife this guy at the beginning, and now you have to get into the truck."

:040:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

I don't think so. The online multiplayer is fantastic, a few friends are coming over later on today. I'll tell you how local is when we're done.
Man, that kind of crap bugs me. The Wii's control setup is PERFECT for FPS games. Metroid Prime Trilogy controls so wonderfully compared to any regular controller, and is almost as good as a PC and mouse.

finalark

SNORLAX
That in itself is pretty amazing! This may encourage me to buy it. <3

Oh, and about the single-player: is there freedom? If you played the original, you should know what I'm talking about. You know, I'm not into the whole "You have to knife this guy at the beginning, and now you have to get into the truck."

:040:
I haven't finished the single player yet but from what I've played it's pretty linear in that sense but they do give you a fair amount of freedom. Such as bonus objectives and the fact that they often give you multiple ways to take care of things.

Top Bottom