• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good god, Falco's freakin' chainthrow!

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
This is probably the ONE thing in brawl so far that has always agitated me to no end. He grabs, down throws, I can't escape, and he continues it into a Dair spike when he gets to the edge.

Then when I quick attack out of the spike and sweetspot the ledge, clinging for dear life, the guy goes and footstools me to my death before I can do anything.

God, what the hell was Sakurai thinking with Falco?! How do I escape this thing?!

z5kaento5z

Smash Cadet
My best friend uses Falco... it's so annoying, I can't escape.
Shouldn't they have tested for chainthrows before they released Brawl!?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
They should have tested a lot of things before they released this game.

Ace76

Smash Cadet
Yea when you get out of the chain grab, chain grab him back. You get a few throws in before he can DI out of it.

Korea4ever

Smash Cadet
I play as marth, and idk if it the chaingrab only applies to fastfallers, or if my friend is doing it wrong, but I just DI away and spam X/Y to jump out of it.

McDandelion

Smash Rookie
Yeah I always hate playing against a Falco. The lasers. The spikes. The chaingrab! Urg! Even that stupid reflector of his! ):

One of my friends main him too so I see a lot of him. He's beats me so many times that all he has to do now is PICK Falco on the character screen and it already feels like I lost the match.

I'm really hoping for when that "Weekly Pikachu character mathups/strategies" thread talks about strategies to beat Falco though. (:

JuanTendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb-juantendo
3DS FC
2750-1216-1018
Switch FC
SW 3345 4602 0138
This is probably the ONE thing in brawl so far that has always agitated me to no end. He grabs, down throws, I can't escape, and he continues it into a Dair spike when he gets to the edge.

Then when I quick attack out of the spike and sweetspot the ledge, clinging for dear life, the guy goes and footstools me to my death before I can do anything.

God, what the hell was Sakurai thinking with Falco?! How do I escape this thing?!
Even better if he can... as a Pika player i like this kind of challenges... come on peope...Pika players are used to this kind of problems... 18 place on melle's tier list... lets just keep it up...Pika 4ever

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion

Um, they knew about them. They put them in intentionally...

And just sayin but pika can chain falco too...
Brawl was rushed no matter what Sakurai or Nintendo says. Also, why would they put in chain throws intentionally to have all walk-off stages becoming un-playable.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Yea when you get out of the chain grab, chain grab him back. You get a few throws in before he can DI out of it.
I love how you think you can escape from a chain grab with Pikachu. Seriously, keep up that optimism.

Roller

Smash Legend
I love how you think you can escape from a chain grab with Pikachu. Seriously, keep up that optimism.
Um.....ya.....

If YOU are unable to escape from a chain grab after a while then you must not know how to DI at all...

AND he wasn't even talking about that genious. He was refering to Pika being the one Chain grabbing falco, and falco can eventually escape pika's as well.

I think you just told us all something about yourself...

(And if you couldn't get the hint I mean that you should be taking the short bus to school everyday and not be allowed near anything more pointy than a ballpoint pen or you might gouge your own eye out.)

Honestly, I'm amazed you were even able to get out of your house to buy Brawl in the first place. I mean, those doorknobs are tricky, you have to twist AND push.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Let's get one thing straight, Sakurai isn't the only creator/designer of Brawl, leave him out of it. Next, it's not that hard to deal with, you must be doing something really wrong. For Falco to even fet near Pikachu says your making some mistakes, you can easily spam him with your thunder shocks, just as he spams laser. Avoid going up to him, and when you do, have a combo in mind and excecute. Okay, so eventually you may get grabbed, then what? Well first of all, try and break out, if he messes up, you escape. If not, keep going until you get near the edge and then air-dodge his spike..., quick attack on to the stage. At which point, your % is too high for you to get chain grabbed.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Um.....ya.....

If YOU are unable to escape from a chain grab after a while then you must not know how to DI at all...

AND he wasn't even talking about that genious. He was refering to Pika being the one Chain grabbing falco, and falco can eventually escape pika's as well.

(And if you couldn't get the hint I mean that you should be taking the short bus to school everyday and not be allowed near anything more pointy than a ballpoint pen or you might gouge your own eye out.)

Honestly, I'm amazed you were even able to get out of your house to buy Brawl in the first place. I mean, those doorknobs are tricky, you have to twist AND push.
Seriously? Do you really need to insult someone... He made a mistake, shut the **** up after you correct him, um kay? I don't know this kid or care about him/her, but watching you attack someone over a post is really pissing me off. Get the picture?

Roller

Smash Legend
Seriously? Do you really need to insult someone... He made a mistake, shut the **** up after you correct him, um kay? I don't know this kid or care about him/her, but watching you attack someone over a post is really pissing me off. Get the picture?
It's not so much the fact that he was wrong and made a mistake as it was that he was being a pompous jerk to someone who was correct when he was entirely wrong himself.

If someone is ready to flame like that then they should be prepared to take it.

He deserves what he got.

Also, you said you hated watching me attack a kid over a post... I hate it when I see that too. That's why when that kid attacked someone I stepped in and put him in his place.

Then, you tried to do the same exact thing I did except to me. You. attacked. me. for my post. So you sir are a hypocrite. I wont further attack you though. Seeing as you say you hate it...:dizzy:

And way to double post btw.

also, spamming vs falco isn't exactly the best thing to do seeing as he has this nifty little thing called a reflector. Hitting him with 1 or 2 jolts is fine, but I definately wouldn't spam them versus him.

I do agree with you about the issue with sakurai though.:)

Maku

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I play as Marth and i can usually get out of it during the first throw.
But if your Ike or someone who falls fast.. Your screwed.. until like 54%.
Just sit back and Enjoy the show!

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
It's not so much the fact that he was wrong and made a mistake as it was that he was being a pompous jerk to someone who was correct when he was entirely wrong himself.

If someone is ready to flame like that then they should be prepared to take it.

He deserves what he got.

Also, you said you hated watching me attack a kid over a post... I hate it when I see that too. That's why when that kid attacked someone I stepped in and put him in his place.

Then, you tried to do the same exact thing I did except to me. You. attacked. me. for my post. So you sir are a hypocrite. I wont further attack you though. Seeing as you say you hate it...:dizzy:

And way to double post btw.

also, spamming vs falco isn't exactly the best thing to do seeing as he has this nifty little thing called a reflector. Hitting him with 1 or 2 jolts is fine, but I definately wouldn't spam them versus him.

I do agree with you about the issue with sakurai though.:)
"Pompous Jerk"? Tell me, kind sir, just where exactly do you see that attitude in my posts? I simply sarcastically commented a guy on his optimism. Pardon my sharp tongue, but you'll get a lot of that out of me, so unless it's bringing mental, emotional, physical, social, or environmental harm to you, I suggest that you don't jump the gun and just keep to yourself.

Really, I don't think you can escape from a chainthrow WITHOUT having to be so damaged you can't BE chain thrown. What I'm asking for is, if I'm wrong, is there ANY sort of counter to Falco's chain throw?

JuanTendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb-juantendo
3DS FC
2750-1216-1018
Switch FC
SW 3345 4602 0138
jajajajajaja... Way to go

Um.....ya.....

now that's how you teach a NOOB to have some respect :laugh:

MojoMan

Smash Ace
Somehow, I escape from Pistolz chaingrab with falco. Maybe he's just not that great at it (no offense). But there is a jinx I have. All I have to say is "no chain grab for you", and I always escape. Weird, huh?

Angel01

Smash Cadet
yeah i hate falcos chaingrab but pika's is annoying too. my friend (who will probably reply super fast seeing that i posted in the pikachu thread :p) uses pikachu to **** my snake. he plays a lot of other characters but pikachu is the only one i have a hard time on. oh, and i "love" how like every aerial he has magically lag cancels like a mother to a dsmash :D

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
You Pikachu main are spoiled by the fact that DDD can't chaingrab you across any field, lol.
But yea, I understand its a little different when you're getting chaingrabbed and you get spiked afterward to really piss you off. Just remember how bad Snakes feel against Falcos. He's tall enough to get fit by every single laser Falco even thinks about shooting, and he gets chaingrab to spiked so much that it's actually pretty funny. It's hard to feel bad for Snake though, considering he barely has disadvantages.

Kyoko

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I agree with Jmex...they really should have actually finished the game itself instead making 5 million cut scenes for Subspace Emissary.

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
muhznit,

i suffer from the same problem as you. i recently played a falco player who knew how to chain grab. on rare ocassions, i was able to escape by DI-ing towards falco which messed up his chain grab. of course, it was possible that the falco player messed up himself, i dunno

in any case, the best advise is already given: avoid the first chaingrab. for example, i usually get shield grab when i approach with forward+a (that drill attack). to avoid it, i now approach and attack in such a way that i land on the other side.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
I hate this chaingrab much but I've been able to get out of it after the second time.
I just use double stick DI, one away from him and the C stick to do Forward Air.
It works for me, you guys should try it.

ForestSage

Smash Journeyman
I hate this chaingrab much but I've been able to get out of it after the second time.
I just use double stick DI, one away from him and the C stick to do Forward Air.
I think you're on to something.

z5kaento5z

Smash Cadet
Oh ho ho, I'll have to try that.
Anyway, is it Pika's fthrow that can chain Falco? Because I've seen Falco jump out of a dthrow combo of mine at about 17%... maybe it was Yoshi's Island's curve...

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
O_O

holy crap. i'm gonna try this over the weekend.

SuperSaiyan4Rhiannon

Smash Cadet
I didn't read this thread thoroughly...so excuse me if this has already been said.

If you're fighting falco on Yoshi's Island...and the little platform is leaning down in your favor...
You can down throw chain grab falco up to 70 percent or so and it's extremely difficult for them to get out of. Follow it up with a downsmash to uptilt to thunder and they're gone.

So when Falco gets his hands on you...

Get him back :]

here's a terrible diagram.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Oh nice, i didn't know the double stick DI worked in Brawl. It was in melee but i totally forgot to test this out in Brawl.

Tundraman12

Smash Rookie
Falco's chain throw isnt THAT big of a problem for pikachu....you can get out of it
Pika is just too awesome....plus u can chain him too

Ekoix.exe

Smash Ace
I didn't read this thread thoroughly...so excuse me if this has already been said.

If you're fighting falco on Yoshi's Island...and the little platform is leaning down in your favor...
You can down throw chain grab falco up to 70 percent or so and it's extremely difficult for them to get out of. Follow it up with a downsmash to uptilt to thunder and they're gone.

So when Falco gets his hands on you...

Get him back :]

here's a terrible diagram.

Stop please, STOP MAKING OUR EYES BLEED.

Top Bottom