• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good secondaries/tertiaries for a Ness mainer?

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
The title pretty much says it all. I'm trying to find a new character to use (not to replace Ness), but it seems that there's almost no one else I'm good with other than Ness and Meta-Knight. So I'd figure I ask the Ness boards which characters would best suit the likes of a Ness mainer. I've been thinking about maybe Mario or Jigglypuff, but I'm open to suggestions. If it helps, I tend to use the lighter characters.

By the way, this post is not stupid. I've seen many posts made by people of all skill levels that ask, "what's a good secondary/tertiary for (insert character's name here)?". Just figured I'd throw that out there in case some jerk tries to flame me :).

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
RAAWR IMA JERK AN IM FLAMMIN YOOOOOUUU

It's not that this is a stupid question. It's just that this is the 4th thread like this we've had in the last 6 months. It's also hard to tell someone else who to second. We don't know anything about your playstyle or mentality. What works for us might not work for you.

But, uh, in case you care, I also use Lucas, Mario, and Sonic. And so far, there's not been a matchup one of them can't handle. And Meta Knight sounds like a fine second. No bad matchups, plus, he's one of the most fun characters in the game.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
I know; what's good for one person may not work for another. But it would be nice to have a third. MK is a good second (especially for Ness) and is really fun, but I'd like to mix things up a bit by seeing who else I might be good with. I appreciate your input, though.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I dont really know, since Im pretty much all Ness. Id say Any top tier works well, look for people who can cover some of Ness` worst match ups, then look for a character who can cover your secondary`s worst match ups. Sometimes its funny and Ness will be able to cover your tertiary`s bad match ups ^_^ Id say a good thing for you would be Ness MK and possibly Jigglypuff. MK is basically a better version of jigglypuff, but jigglypuff does pretty well at jungle japes and has a good gimp gam so jpuff might be good to bring out if u get cp`d there or for a surprise CP against someone with a gimpable recovery.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Uh, wow. Good thing Neon Ness got here before me. Here's mine. I just need to work on them really bad.

Young Ness
Blue Toon Link
Captain America
Fusion Suit Samus

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Oddly, I've been considering Bowser for quite some time. There's something fun about using characters that are underrepresented... I dunno, I just like thinking I can even the scales in the tournament scene this way. :laugh: But yeah, I fought a good Bowser a while ago, and it reminded me that every character can be good in the right hands. I sorta lost sight of that, which is odd considering I main Ness, who a lot of people seem to write off. I don't see many Bowsers, but there's gotta be something to him. Plus his white and gold costume is jam.

Lizard

Smash Ace
Dk is my secondary and he works well for me.

Takes care of the marth matchup well and also is not bad against the likes Wario, who for some reason i trouble with Ness

Uffe

Smash Hero
Dk is my secondary and he works well for me.

Takes care of the marth matchup well and also is not bad against the likes Wario, who for some reason i trouble with Ness
DK's bair cuts through DK's up B. Anyway, here's what I see from DK a lot. Up B, bair, uair, d-tilt, u-tilt, down B, footstool > forward B, Giant Punch and Cargo Spike. He ***** Marth?

Lizard

Smash Ace
Never said he *****..... but he does have a better match-up than some others.

I love my DK..... but Ness> DK

The.End

Smash Cadet
Secondary should be: Random- Really this is probably your best choice :D
I picked Zelda/Shiek combo as a secondaryish character, and have a bunch of other characters that I play ,but not very often- only to counterpick or because i have plans o.o

Uffe

Smash Hero
I tried out Sheik and I didn't do so well with her. Of course I found her a lot easier to use than Zelda.

FlashGamma

Smash Cadet
I main Ness with Lucas as a close second, but if you're looking for an element of surprise and don't mind spending too much time learning a new character, try the Ice Climbers. They have fantastic combos and could prove a VERY solid second.

Lizard

Smash Ace
I've found that by seconding lucas, my Ness game gets messed up....

But thats just me... maybe it can help other players.

Uffe

Smash Hero
It's the recovery, isn't it? I don't like Lucas' recovery. He bounces off even the edge he should be grabbing and his PKT is too slow that it could've been a different move. What's the point of knock back in that attack if it's easily dodged?

Top Bottom