• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Google Wave?

GofG

Smash Champion
Just got my invite, was wondering if anyone else is on. Maybe we could start a smashboards wave.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i just got my invite a few days ago and admittedly still haven't taken the time to learn to use it

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Wait, what? Google is sending out invites? Is it too late to get one, or can I still get on board with this?

@Everybody asking what a wave is: wave.google.com

.45ACP

Smash Rookie
Waitwut they're sending out invites? When did you apply for one? I applied a month ago but haven't heard anything yet. I really do want to try it; it looks amazing. Lol I watched the hour and a half preview video, such a waste of time to watch the whole thing, but it looks so cool!

hankydysplasia

Smash Cadet
Wave is part "what email would look like if it was created today." It's way more social and collaborative.

When I got my invitations, I immediately searched [using with:public] for Smash waves. There aren't any good ones. It would be great for guides with embedded videos, great for Q&A's as you can have discussions in line instead of post after post with pages to sort through, you can delete old or useless crap, you can playback the whole conversation from the beginning, and, once the functionality develops, you'll be able to post on a forum at the same time you're working in a wave so they sync so you don't have to be a wave user to read the conversation.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Google Wave is a new thing by Google. It's still in beta, which is why it's invite only, and it apparently still has kinks to be worked out. I just got my invite this week, and haven't done much of anything with it yet. The basic site when you're logged in looks a lot like your email inbox, actually. In the middle, you have a list of waves that you have access to, on the left is a contact list and a toolbar for navigating your waves, and on the right is the wave you're currently looking at.

Now, what's a wave? Well, they are essentially documents that anyone with access to them can edit and add to. It's like Google Docs, but with more options. There's text with all the standard variations like font, size, color, etc. You can embed videos and pictures as well. Also, links, attachments, Google searches and something from Google Maps as well. Also, some things called Gadgets, which seems ambiguous and probably means people can create apps for waves or something.

So far, I don't know many people on it, and haven't really found a use for it yet. But it seems like it could be both interesting and useful once it's public and more popular.

Top Bottom