• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

Villi

Smash Lord
Anything else? If he's right up in my face, I might not be in a position to throw needles.
Chain also... Otherwise, run away and tilt your shield up. After that, punish it with anything, but punish it.

Edit: If you hit it with a needle, they'll sometimes start a forward b by accident. If you run away or shield it, they'll usually retreat so that you will have much less time to punish it. They'll space to drop their tornado with as little lag as possible and try to punish your attempt at getting close somehow. Dsmash, up b, more tornado, oos shield option, sidestep downsmash. So grab or throw a needle or figure them out and do something.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I remember Ankoku suggesting tilting your shield up and using up-b out of shield to punish MK's tornado. Never tried it, but seems doable.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Anything else? If he's right up in my face, I might not be in a position to throw needles.
It has been found that characters can pivot grab MK out of his tornado, unless the character you are playing has a tether grab. Then the pivot is kinda pointless. This has been tested with IC (who has the worst pivot grab in the game) and still works.

I have a question. How do you do a crawl dash? I'm trying to do the glitch where you slide really far and do a move from a slant on a stage.
Here is a video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0RPa8_XD6Y

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. How do you do a crawl dash? I'm trying to do the glitch where you slide really far and do a move from a slant on a stage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HttB-BUcEGE
read the comments because I asked how to do this as well =P

Short Hop Forward > Barely before you land hold or right before you do, hold the Joystick down then roll it back to the side niche (very quickly, smoothly) and then let go.
Landing at the right position of slants will give you that extra boost, YI, Corneria Fin, etc.

It's pretty hard to get down and situational of course, but it could be such a good surprise tactic like DACUS

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Dude. I want to know how to do this too. Situational, yes, but isn't DACUS situational too?

I hardly DACUS, and there is no doubt I will hardly be doing this, but what is wrong with a freakin 100 MPH surprise attack every once in a while??

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Anyone have any idea what factors affect transformation's time (stage maybe)? Or is it completely random as far as we know? I've been getting unlucky with ridiculously long transformation times for no reason and keep getting punished when I should have been fine. Its annoying.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Anyone have any idea what factors affect transformation's time (stage maybe)? Or is it completely random as far as we know? I've been getting unlucky with ridiculously long transformation times for no reason and keep getting punished when I should have been fine. Its annoying.
The game has to load the character data for Zelda, because it wasn't pre-loaded like it was in Melee. (But in Melee there was no reason to switch) Anyways. Yes. If you are fighting a fellow Zelda, the transformation time will be significantly less because Zelda was already loaded into the game.

Um some trivia even the long-since members might not know. If two Sheiks or Pokemon Trainers try to switch at the same time, the player plugged into the first slot (1st player) will complete transformation first. However, if multiple transformations occur at once, it can cause the game to stall the transformations for a long while. Just some fun facts.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Yup, everything Flamingo said is correct. Transformation between Zelda and Sheik is completely dependent on how fast your Wii is loading the character data. Other lag, stage information and other things will factor into this.

A simple trick that can be done is to press the Start Button (Pause) wait to hear your Wii load either info and then press Start again. You should immediately change then.
Make sure to also update your Wii, dust it, clean the disc reader etc.

That being said, I also think you should ask depending on Friendly or Tournament, if you can run a quick game and Down+B a couple times. Try to do it during warm ups, etc (this may or may not doing anything) Other then that make sure you knock your opponent from a far enough distance if you plan to Transform.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I know about the pausing (love this in friendlies) and that fighting zelda makes its much quicker, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to avoid absurdly long transformations. From what you said, I'm assuming it depends mostly completely on the Wii itself? I was thinking stage played a decent factor, because I remember someone saying something about Lylat lagging their transformation. Anything else specifically. I also remember my friend saying that he saw someone transform faster after the first time, but from my experience the time it takes is random no matter how many times you've transformed.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
It has been found that characters can pivot grab MK out of his tornado, unless the character you are playing has a tether grab. Then the pivot is kinda pointless. This has been tested with IC (who has the worst pivot grab in the game) and still works.
This doesn't exactly make sense to me. Why and how would you pivot grab a metaknight who is doing the tornado, [this probably isn't going to make sense when I say it but...] when they're doing the tornado?

To be a bit more clear, at what point do you gain the ability to bypass being hit by the tornado, when you run past metaknight for the pivot grab?

The only other option I see is to run away and have Metaknight follow you with the tornado, but even then will a decent metaknight follow you everywhere? Wouldn't they just space themselves away to a safe distance?

This just doesn't make sense to me.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
I know about the pausing (love this in friendlies) and that fighting zelda makes its much quicker, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to avoid absurdly long transformations. From what you said, I'm assuming it depends mostly completely on the Wii itself? I was thinking stage played a decent factor, because I remember someone saying something about Lylat lagging their transformation. Anything else specifically. I also remember my friend saying that he saw someone transform faster after the first time, but from my experience the time it takes is random no matter how many times you've transformed.
The majority of the time it will take to transform depends on your Wii disc reader. So take care of your Wii. But as I said before, stage information and other things will factor into your transformation. Instances where other codes of info will clog up and out prioritize the command to transform, like new scenery frames in the background of the stage, an item spawning, stock's changing, opponent respawn.

Small things, the entire game going on in fact, is all receiving data and that's when you hear your Wii click and what not while reading the disc. Try transforming during a clean reading, listen to it.

(Example of 1 match-I just tested)
If Player 1 is Sheik, Player 2 is Zelda and Player 3 is Sheik for example.
Lets say Player 1 Transforms, the time will be cut considerably while he transforms into Zelda. When Player 1 Transforms back to Sheik how ever, even though Player 3 is already Sheik, it takes more time then it did when he transformed into Zelda for some reason, only slightly by my count.

Now with Player 1 as Sheik, Player 3 as Sheik and Player 2 as Zelda, the time it takes to transform to Sheik for Player 2 becomes the same count as Player 1's Down+B into Zelda.
Now all Players are Sheik BUT the transformation Time of turning into Zelda was Kept even though no players were Zelda.
The Player with the lowest port always transforms the quickest by priority. (if all players transform at the same time) Or even in general it seemed that way. So it is always better to be Player 1 if you ever find yourself in a ditto match.

In all cases transforming to Sheik took longer then transforming to Zelda, which is good I guess.

(Example of 2nd Match)
I went to the same level. Player 1 is Sheik, Player 2 as Ganondorf.
The time it took to transform from the previous match, stayed. (Personally, it was off by 1 count but it was still considerably low) So that would prove my theory of transforming previous to all matches would lessen the time in future fights, at least if you're fighting on the same level.

(Example of 3rd Match)
new level, new opponent. The time to transform seemed to stay the same as the 2nd match, Taking only a little longer to get to Sheik by 2 counts though.

summary: Transforming into Zelda takes less time then transforming into Sheik. Player port with the lowest number count (1-4) has priority over the rest. Another Zelda and or Sheik in the same match will cut transformation time down. Pausing will allow the disc to be read and upon un-Pausing transformation is faster. Previously transforming on stages you plan to fight on seem to cut down Transformation time.
Stage scenery, item spawn, or other data input during a match may result in longer transformation.
Overall it is situational, and dependent on many factors but those are some things to consider when Transforming.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Thanks for all the info. Good to know. Hopefully I can avoid getting Fsmashed after an unusually long transformation now.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
To be a bit more clear, at what point do you gain the ability to bypass being hit by the tornado, when you run past metaknight for the pivot grab?

The only other option I see is to run away and have Metaknight follow you with the tornado, but even then will a decent metaknight follow you everywhere? Wouldn't they just space themselves away to a safe distance?

This just doesn't make sense to me.
I think that's what he means (in red)

I second MK, and I will follow running opponents until I hit sheild, unless they get too far away or when too much time has passed.. otherwise I safely retreat. I also use the tornado as bait, follow you and then retreat, where you are foolishly dashing toward me and I am waiting to 1. Dsmash or 2. Sheild->OoS Nair.

I believe that many MKs would indeed fall for this, however, I can say that I wouldn't. It's not that I am gloating, but it is because I have had extensive experience vs. an Olimar main (my doubles partner. And believe me, you CAN be grabbed out of Tornado quite easily. Yep.. I would say you are safe to do this at least once or twice vs. a MK. However, how I avoid this by MK is floating at my enemy's head level with the tornado. (This works against olimar because his grab is fairly low.) Sheik is much taller than Olimar, thus her grab is probably higher as well, so if MK is flying low, go for the pivot grab, if he is about head-level with you... I honestly don't know who will win, (probably MK)

Hope this helped.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Does Tristan get praise for whom he beat in pools? ~proceeds to milk it for no reason~
______Lost, Win
1. Candy 2-0
1. Ambrose 2-1
3. Tristan Win ~
4. Izumi 0-2
4. BetaZealot 1-2
6. Laws 0-2
7. Ninja Edd 0-2
8. Munk 0-2
9. Manic 0-2

East

Crappy Imitation
Wait, you only beat 2 people? I thought you got outta pools?

Edit: lol, ooooooh That does change things quite a bit, doesn't it

In that case, a job well done Tristan. Hopefully I'll be able to do the same at HERB1 next month.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
See Tristan you did pretty awesome, you went far in such a big show up. I'm going to try and hit up a tourney for Brawl tomorrow.
Which makes me wonder now a very small thing... Not sure how to present my Tag during gameplay

Voyer, Voyur, V, ....I hate Voy..... I could always use KeK (it means lol in WoW when Horde type to Ally)
what do you guys think look the best? =P

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Can someone explain to me the ''Chain'' concept.

I thought it sucked, but it's being used in many arguments, and it can beat MK???
Wat?

East

Crappy Imitation
A well placed vanish after a throw is a nice mix-up. It normally won't kill until around 170ish [At least for Marth anyway, make adjustments accordingly] but it's usually unexpected. Overabuse of it will get you severely punished though.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Can someone explain to me the ''Chain'' concept.

I thought it sucked, but it's being used in many arguments, and it can beat MK???
Wat?
General misconception. Sh chain + good chain control is amazing if the oponent has no answer for it. Even if they do a chain lock can rack a decent amount of damage making it useful in many matchup's though if they do have a projectile you should probably use it sparingly.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
It's a situational edgeguard or a fancy way to edgehog, that's about it, it has a limited movement area and your opponent should quickly catch on and avoid it, though it works as a nice surprise due to its relatively high knockback and invincibility frames.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
I've killed many people by vanish gliding. What are they going to do, airdodge it? PS, when returning to the ledge (and if it doesn't hit them), make sure you press diagonally up+toward the stage if it seems like your opponent might grab the ledge before you do.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Vanish Glides are about 70% flashy 30% practicality. Jumping and vanishing works just as well.

Vanish Glides were great for Melee because of the game speed and inability to airdodge multiple times, and of course not everyone had tethers.

If you can time it well so you explode when they're at the EDGE of your range, usually this eliminates problems, and if you habitually hit straight to the ledge to try to edgehog, stop. If you hit them you don't need to get there so fast, and if you didn't hit them you'll get hogged anyway, though Wind saves you sometimes.

In conclusion, yeah, it still works well, but don't get predictable and don't return to the ledge. In Melee it was an edgehogger, in Brawl it's a kill move.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Generally, no. The only use of autocanceled nair is as a frametrap against Olimar's shield by immediately following up with jab.

Autocanceled bair is good for keeping the bairs as close together as possible when doing a WoP, I guess.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Frametrapping is doing something that looks punishable followed by something to catch any punish attempts, usually done with something that can cancel at a deceptive point (Wolf usmash), or following up with something that has invulnerability on startup (Marth Dolphin Slash). It can throw opponents off guard and give you a free opening every once in a while.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
besides being tossed against the ground immediately or to a wall and having to tech them, those times when you are soaring/hovering close to the ground after being throw or knocked back you can do a nice Fair auto cancel to regain footing to the ground instead of waiting for a tech, or that's how I've used it.

Other then that it doesn't seem like a huge staple but, it's nice doing SHFF Fairs that auto canceling when dealing with a Peach for example.

But I didn't know Bair could auto cancel, what are the frames for that? I always get this slight landing lag

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Maybe I should experiment with the chain more... I never use it.

Are there any situations where it is... well... necessary?

Top Bottom