• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik is not especially technical in Melee. Past the random unnecessary needle canceling tricks, there really wasn't that much to her compared to Fox, Marth, and Falcon.

I think rathy Aro was looking for campy Sheik, and I don't think you can get much campier than this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l37hZN1A154

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Sheik is not especially technical in Melee. Past the random unnecessary needle canceling tricks, there really wasn't that much to her compared to Fox, Marth, and Falcon.
When I said Melee, I was speaking about the game as a whole in comparative tones. Falcon? Other then moonwalking (which serves no real use other then 'mindgames' and a good reverse jump), how so?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
He has the Gentleman and needs far more technical consistency than a good portion of the cast due to his subpar recovery and heavy reliance on SHFFL'd aerials.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
By technical consistency in SHFFL'd aerials, you mean not missing L cancels? Because that's not technical in my mind. I forgot about Gentleman, it's not applicable to me since I'm on PAL. I will however grant he's much harder to play as at the higher levels, he requires much more adaptation and 'thinking' compared to someone like Fox, who can just rambo, but that's not tech skill.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.

I think rathy Aro was looking for campy Sheik, and I don't think you can get much campier than this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l37hZN1A154
I have a question. "How does the lightest character in the game survive 200+ damage?"

saviorslegacy

Hey I have an idea.
I was watching Izaws' guide to Link when I noticed that he was catching the ledge at high damage to prevent a KO. Now I was wondering.... "Can our Sheiks do this too?" (If we could we would be able to survive attacks Links Spin Attack and Kirbies F-Smash!)

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if we can or not, but you wouldn't be able to survive either Kirby's F Smash or Link's Spin Attack anyway, it's very situational because it works on very few moves (moves with a low to the ground horizontal knockback), the ones that I can think of off the top of my head are: Jigglypuff, Falco and Foxes D Smash, all of which you'll note usually aren't used much by the character. Plus, DI down is usually bad DI, so the chances of you getting hit by the very few moves it works on and that you'll be DIing down and reacting with chain fast enough that you grab the edge where you normally wouldn't have survived with good DI....well as you can see, even if it did work it wouldn't be useful.

I need to stop answering every question and go out and do something with my Easter break...

Jaigoda

Smash Apprentice
Savior, it's probably not going to happen unless you actually manage to hit the ground prior to getting sent off. People like Link can do it because a Zair can come out as soon as an airdodge, whereas specials, double jumps, and the like take longer. So unless you actually hit the ground and cancel out all hitstun, the Chain likely won't be able to come out fast enough.

saviorslegacy

Owell... it was worth saying though.

ps I mentioned those attacks because they send you over the ledge in an area that you can normally grab.

Villi

Smash Lord
If you're hit by a strong attack with a low trajectory like Zelda's dsmash, and you DI into the ground, are you still in hitstun after your body makes impact with the floor?

saviorslegacy

****IT I GATE DEFFENSIVE PEOPLE!!!!!!!

At least most MK's give you a good fight. I find myself ******/putting up a real good fight against those who play offensively. However, I am getting destroyed by deffensive people/characters. The ones that are giving me trouble are:

Link
Snake
King DeDeDe
Falco
(deffensive) Kirby

I go up to attack and I get freakin shield grabbed! If I try to space with SHFF... grabbed. tilts= grabbed
They are constantly projectile spamming to get me in close (where they grab me). If I to grab them they try to get me with an arial. If I do get in close I get to talk to the dust from thier roll dodge.

Now I have tried punishing a lot of stuff, (ie roll dodge) but that's not cutting it. I am so tired of fighting n00by campers!!!!!

Any tips/play styles for me?

stealth3654

Smash Lord
You can make Link and Snake approach you by using needles. Needles are faster than Link's projectiles, and they can blow up Snake's nades.

If D3 and Falco like to hide in their shields, make it look like you are about to attack then grab them. So next time, they will second guess himself about hiding in his shield and you will be able to get an aerial or tilt lock on them.

Kirby....you're screwed. Kirby's defensive game is really good and it's already a very disadvantages match-up for Sheik in the first place. You're going to have to do a lot of predicting to punish Kirby's mistakes.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
the narakate step (not sure of spelling) can someone describe the input commands for each of the following steps

dash (obvious)>>>>dash cancel(ive been told to immediate pivot the 2nd dash, is this correct)>>>>reverse crawl (no idea how or what to do here)

Thanks

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
You can make Link and Snake approach you by using needles. Needles are faster than Link's projectiles, and they can blow up Snake's nades.

Kirby....you're screwed. Kirby's defensive game is really good and it's already a very disadvantages match-up for Sheik in the first place. You're going to have to do a lot of predicting to punish Kirby's mistakes.
You can force Link and Snake to approach with needles, but not Kirby?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
for kirby you just have to beat him in close combat, he's not fast enough to stay away

it's a lot like peach. they outprioritize you, you outspeed them... slightly. just try not to get hit by too many bairs lol

kirby = hard

stealth3654

Smash Lord
You can force Link and Snake to approach with needles, but not Kirby?
Kirby has a really low duck, but Snake has a low duck too and Link has his shield (the one on his arm).

You can hit Snake sometimes while he is ducking with charged needles.

If Link is hiding behind his shield, Sheik can short hop chain. Otherwise, Sheik can just camp with needles.

Villi

Smash Lord
It doesn't seem worth it to try and force a Link to approach. It's boring and relatively ineffective. Likely, you'll lose a war for damage and just make yourself a lot closer to death for trying to keep your stock lead if you have it. Sheik has faster attacks and the maneuverability to get around his projectile patterns. It's more worth it for Sheik to get in and make Link struggle to get out rather than try to force Link to do something that he'll likely stubbornly avoid (and for good reason).

saviorslegacy

Okay.. I have Link figured out. I started to grab more.

BTW... what if they step dodge spam. You grab= wide open upon them coming out of the dodge. Only thing I can think of is chain (got punished -_-) and jabs.

OMFG!!! I NOW HAVE A NEW FOUND HATRED!!!!!! *Campy Night
Stupid idiot wouldn't get off the ledge! When he did he wouldn't hardly touch the ground. -_- When the match was over I said MK was broken. Then the dude was all like. "Nah... depends on how you use him." -_-

How the hell do you beat this one? Cuz I see no way to beat him in the air... or take care of his planking?

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Okay.. I have Link figured out. I started to grab more.

BTW... what if they step dodge spam. You grab= wide open upon them coming out of the dodge. Only thing I can think of is chain (got punished -_-) and jabs.

OMFG!!! I NOW HAVE A NEW FOUND HATRED!!!!!! *Campy Night
Stupid idiot wouldn't get off the ledge! When he did he wouldn't hardly touch the ground. -_- When the match was over I said MK was broken. Then the dude was all like. "Nah... depends on how you use him." -_-

How the hell do you beat this one? Cuz I see no way to beat him in the air... or take care of his planking?
Just chain it

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Hey Tristan, you should get a video up of a match where you use the chain effectively. This way, the Sheik users that don't use the chain can see how to use it and why it's so good.

saviorslegacy

Hey Tristan, you should get a video up of a match where you use the chain effectively. This way, the Sheik users that don't use the chain can see how to use it and why it's so good.
I agree. IDK how to use the chain in a match, except as a ledge guard. -_-

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
You guys shouldn't need anyone to spoon feed you how to use the chain..

It takes practice and improvising, you guys are smart. I'm sure you can figure it out.

stoneswithstand

Smash Apprentice
Sheik has been my main for as long as Brawl has been out and only one small thing ever confused me about Sheik
For the ftilt combo I usually end with the upsmash but if I'm fully loaded with needles then I end with uptilt hoping that the enemy would be hit to the ground for a nice needle ****
I'm probably not paying attention but it seems to only work sometimes
most times, the characters go up in the air.

is it an issue of character weight? character damage?

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
always short hop the chain btw, the chain is useless if not short hopped as it seems to have higher hitstun when short hopped. if spaced well it can punish people near/on the ledge. also does ALOT of damage if used well when your opponent is above you on a soft platform like battlefield

i'll prob post a vid sometime this week coming actually

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Tutorial on how to use the chain effectively:

1. Shorthop
2. Be sure that you're holding your control stick either to the left or the right
3. Press and hold B
4. Move your control stick in the direction that you need to hit the opponent

There! Now you know how to use the chain.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
It takes practice and improvising, you guys are smart. I'm sure you can figure it out.
I find it's much more effective learning through observation IMO. A video would be ideal for a tactic like this as opposed to a written guide so viewers can see it applied in practise.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I find it's much more effective learning through observation IMO. A video would be ideal for a tactic like this as opposed to a written guide so viewers can see it applied in practise.
Of course it is, it's the easy way out. I'm just trying to stray away from that and have the community develop on its own. Though what am I saying? My countless guides on the Marth boards obviously do not support this =_=.

saviorslegacy

My madness behind my Sheik guide.

Hmmmm... never knew it was a must to SH for chain lock. -_- Owell (goes and edits video).

BTW.... I FEEL SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!! I GOT MY FIRST REVERSE CHAIN LOCK TODAY!!!!!!! I was fighting Donkey Kong and I deployed the chain close enough to the ledge to counter what I thought was a roll. He got up normal and was struck by the tip. From there he DI'd behind me. BIG MISTAKE! I reverse locked him, hit him with a tip and then normal locked him for a short time. It was awsome and I killed him with a DSmash shortly there after.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
always short hop the chain btw, the chain is useless if not short hopped as it seems to have higher hitstun when short hopped. if spaced well it can punish people near/on the ledge. also does ALOT of damage if used well when your opponent is above you on a soft platform like battlefield

i'll prob post a vid sometime this week coming actually
I didn't know you had to SH the chain to get the lock either, and how do you use the chain on someone above you on a platform? It would be awesome if you get a vid up by this week.

@Saviorslegacy
Nice man. I've yet to get an actual chain lock since I wasn't SH the chain :ohwell:.

Top Bottom