• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
how the freak do you d-through d-tilt snake? whats with the buffer timing? iv done it before i just cant remember.

dthrow to a spot near the ledge like the image, and input dtilt immediately after the throw it should connect as he falls

soooo...when fighting diddy, what are your preferred ways of picking up bananas? Everytime I try to just get close to pick one up I trip and dash attack to pick up isn't good at all. so like what is the best way to pick up bananas when fighting diddy? thanks
walk up to the banana and pick it up. Basically you need to have DDDs foot almost right next to the banana and you should be able to pick it up off the ground.

Bananas in the air or on platforms, z-catch with grab button/air dodge. Make sure the banana is near/at DDDs hand in order to get the lagless catch. From there you can put it wherever you want. You can also use aerials to pick up the banana while its being thrown or to just offensively pick it up off a platform. Against this close to the hand concept still applies

After last weekend, I can tell you one thing:

Ban FD always.

That is all.
i typically do against gayer mus

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
how the freak do you d-through d-tilt snake? whats with the buffer timing? iv done it before i just cant remember.
Don't hold down all the way or you get the duck animation and comes out too slow+ it must be off the edge of the stage.
soooo...when fighting diddy, what are your preferred ways of picking up bananas? Everytime I try to just get close to pick one up I trip and dash attack to pick up isn't good at all. so like what is the best way to pick up bananas when fighting diddy? thanks
Full-hop dair is a good one.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Got another question
Since the down throw is actually 2 hits instead of one does that mean that it goes into the stale list 2 times per down throw or just one? So for example if I were to downthrow cg with 5 down throws would all of my other moves be fresh?

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Got another question
Since the down throw is actually 2 hits instead of one does that mean that it goes into the stale list 2 times per down throw or just one? So for example if I were to downthrow cg with 5 down throws would all of my other moves be fresh?
Noo one down throw move goes into the move queue, not both hits.
I'm sure that you already know the positioning for this. So all I need to tell you is... during the down throw animation, you must slightly tilt the control stick downwards about halfway ...this will skip the crouching animation which is the culprit to delaying the guaranteed down tilt. You gotta buffer everything.
If you're running towards it, a faster way to pick it up for efficiency is to do a shorthop aerial using the C-STICK. You must shorthop with the 'control stick up' input in order to do an aerial-catching, not X, Y or other jump buttons. Any character can do this.
So for example, I'm dashing towards it..... buffer controlstick UP out of the dash, and do C-STICK backwards.
This will catch the banana while doing a shorthop back air. You can do any other aerial too, just don't down air lol

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Okay so I was playing sets with a Plkachu friend yesterday and while I did pretty well against him (won all but 1 set) and he's a solid Pikachu I would like some advice.

How do you deal with a campy Pikachu. Like this one will T-Jolt me at every chance he gets if I'm not in his face. F-Tilt works until he angles himself closer. Bair works but I dont to stale it because its REALLY hard to hit Pikachu with U-Tilt when they camp so much. I have better luck approaching from the air but hes very hard and I feel like I take unneccessary damage approaching him. And any tips for recovering? I end up Up-B'ing through Thunder out of fear of getting Naired or something. I just feel like although I can handle myself against Pikachu I take more damage than I should.

Lastly what stages should I take Pikachu to?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Bair tjolts, and ftilt grounded tjolts to cancel them. Shield badly spaced fairs and grab him when he hits the floor. Good pikas will space the tjolts to try and catch you off guard, these can also be wave bounced. So mix up your canceling options.

learn to powershield. When you powershield, it not only cancels the projectile, but you also take no knock back. When you get the chance FH dair him if he tries to get under you or behind you, this also works well if they try to get inside with QAC. FH dair with C and you'll DI into him if he gets behind you. Tjolt animation has some dumb delay to it, so if he tjolts and moves forward and if it looks like hes gonna hit the ground, dash>pshield the tjolt> and grab him while hes still in delay.

Grab>dthrow and tech chase works well on pika because his rolls are bad and dont take him far so experiment with this. Theres also buuman trap out of dthrow to the ledge, dthrow get the read and either shield the get up attack or charge dsmash and let it loose when their roll completes. Also bthrow alot. 16% fresh. Never be afraid to grab pika and never be afraid to completely wall him with bair.

We get CG by pika till like 56% and most pikas complete the CG with a usmash[65% ish]. When your at 0% play it alittle bit safe and campy. Definitely watch for thunder when your above him, they can also wave bounce thunder and hide behind the wall of lighting.

Ban;
final d

avoid;
possibly low ceiling maps or close blast lines, unless your very comfortable with the Mu there

recommend;
battlefield-- stages that have plenty of platforms to hide under.

Few notes; Pikachu CAN and will chaingrab you into the blast zone[ these are walk off CGs]. Ive seen it happen before so beware of this. iirc esam had a thread about wall infiniting people above 60% ish against walls using fthrow. Keep that in mind, plus pikachu can jab lock you above 70% ish. Im not sure if QAC lock requires a % to start at but it should be noted pikachu can lock out of QAC. Make sure to tech.

ZTD | TECHnology

I noticed that Powershielding does really help. Somewhere along the line I got pretty decent with it and didn't realize it until yesterday when I was playing him. I just kept switching between F-Tilts, Bairs and PS'ing to get past the jolts so I guess I was doing the right thing I just need to do it better. Although I suppose I shouldve grabbed him more. I kept F-Tilting him to be safe since I didnt want to get Cged. And he kept CPing Castle Siege on me when I'd ban Delfino or FD.

And my tech chasing I'm pretty good at it (hence my name :D) and it helped it a bit. I usually got a free grab or two off afterwards and I B-Throwed when I could. I just wanted to rack up the damage. I usually got the Bairs off when he was off guard and often got some Bair chains off when he approached from the air. D_Smash also helped when he badly spaced his aerials after a QAC.

Sounds like I was doing what I needed to do in this match I just need to perfect certain parts and get more grabs off. I played really defensively because I was trying to feel Pikachu out. I only have Pikachu (Anther) experience as Snake so it was very different for me here.

Thank you for the advice though I just needed to confirm what I need to work on. I need to learn this matchup with Anther running amuk here lol.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
the CG on snake with pikachu is pretty ridiculous

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225783

Snake
- 27% - 80% + regrab
- Dthrow x 7 > grab

Snake
- 0% - 67% + regrab
- Fthrow x 10 > grab

Once pikachu gets snake hanging over the ledge snake eats a **** ton of damage. Were lucky to get out at like 67% ish.

Ive fought anther in doubles bracket at MLG, and i just took my time with him. I was kinda careless about getting thundered/naired at the ledges but other than that i just watched my spacing with him. Once you get the mu down youll begin to see that if you DI properly pika wont be killign you till like 170% ish, and he dies really early. Even if you get him off stage never be afraid to just wall him with aerials out there. Bair goes through skull bash so just harass him offstage as much as you want. Just dont put yourself in a bad position where you get thundered, or stage meteored by nair/bair

Dee toss also is nice in some situations so try it to stop some tjolts or to harass from on stage.

ZTD | TECHnology

I'll remember to be more aggressive off the stage with Pikachu. And I used the Waddle Dee Tosses when he was off the stage and I was too far to chase after him and occasionally in general. Got the funniest Gordo kill when he tried to close in with the QAC + Nair.

And I just won't do Pikachu vs Snake anymore its ********. When I first fought Anther I almost beat him but the **** CG racks up damage so fast its just stupid. I think with some more Pikachu experience I can beat Anther. Just need to get better in general. My D3 is so defensive though my matches end up going to the last minute or few seconds lol but I just don't want to get hasty as D3 it doesn't work at all. Thanks for the advice again.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
dont dash attack and dee toss so much man lol esp at close range

your dairs got pretty predictable once he was on his last stock he really stepped it up

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
I read that Marth is a good DDD Secondary so is the reverse true? If I main Marth would DDD be a good secondary for him?

Cuz I'm really interested in using DDD.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I read that Marth is a good DDD Secondary so is the reverse true? If I main Marth would DDD be a good secondary for him?

Cuz I'm really interested in using DDD.
Not true. Marth is the best secondary for the king but not the other way around because Marth's bad matchups are Meta Knight and Snake...and King Dedede gets horribly ***** by Meta Knight but he goes 55:45 versus Snake. Marth covers all of the king's bad matchups besides mk... but marth does better versus mk than king dedede does.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion

Tmacc

Smash Lord
A few of those infinites have to be pummeled every three throws. Mario, Samus, Luigi, and Bowser.
Also, they can be small step chain grabbed. Which is dthrow, walk forward a TINY bit, then shield grab. And many times, this small step grab is legal.

And yes, Falco-D3 is hard. D3 has to outplay the Falco player by a lot. Falco has every tool to be good against D3...except a good kill move...

ZTD | TECHnology

Can the DDD infinite grab only be done to big people like Bowser and Donkey Kong?
Vayseth's Chaingrab Guide can provide you with all the info you need and then some.

And Falco vs D3..it's frustrating. No doubt about it. Powershielding, patience and good reads are a must here. But seriously just make the most of each grab you get, F-tilt is great here and if you get him off the stage, GIMP HIM. Its just an aggravating matchup is all.

Fizzle_Boy

Smash Ace
Also, they can be small step chain grabbed. Which is dthrow, walk forward a TINY bit, then shield grab. And many times, this small step grab is legal.
Do not shield during the small-step cg. Don't even use it to begin with, D3 already wrecks Bowser and DK in the first place, and the small-step just makes things unfair.

Iofsauron

Smash Journeyman

Vayseth

Smash Master
There is only 2 things you do with DDD.

1. Run up and shield. Usually followed by grabs.
2. Bair.

Sometimes, you'll attempt to do what they call "mix it up" and instead of bairing you'll turn around and do inhale but, really, we all know there's only 2 things you do with DDD.

Vayseth

Smash Master
A huge portion of the cast doesn't have answers to well spaced bairs mixed with grabs. That's if they're changrabable or not.

Characters that give DDD trouble are the one who force DDD to approach because DDD has a hard time approaching without getting hit a lot with his size. Mostly it's forcing your opponent to come to you, reacting, and usually throwing or bairing them away.

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
Ok now that I know the main attacks I guess I should start practicing lol.

So the ones that force you to approach are Meta Knight, Falco(I'll assume Fox and Wolf too since they can camp) and who else?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
basically most of the cast can force DDD to approach...his projectile doesnt really make him that scary from a distance[gordos an exception but not reliable]. This means you really have no long range options, you have to approach and at least meet your opponent mid-range or next to them in order for DDDs meta game to activate.

mid range combat;

ftilt, bair, fair, dtilt, possibly dsmash's first hitbox

close range combat;

grabs and their throws, dair, uair, nair, utilt, dtilt, bair, all smashes

Laem

Smash Champion
Oh hey i didn't know that
thought it was just ganon's uptilt that could do that

if it isnt commander beef filling me with precious precious knowledge yet again!

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Oh hey i didn't know that
thought it was just ganon's uptilt that could do that

if it isnt commander beef filling me with precious precious knowledge yet again!
The mooooore you know. LOL
Well no lol I saw that, I mean when you are trying to recover to the stage when you get knocked back, that kind of momentum cancel
It's part of DI bro. That's definitely in the FAQ there in OP. Yup I'm being lazy lol

Top Bottom