• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question? We've got answers! Check out the OP for FAQs!

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
Space him right, cause you can outrange him with pretty much every move.

Your bair beats his bair, your inhale beats his inhale, you can out grab him and out tilt
him, so it would all be about making sure you use that range.

Stay out of really close range as well so he cannot combo you.
Much appreciated, is dtilt a safe option in this matchup, I don't know to be honest, I feel like it could be useful, but then again, Kirby usually approaches you from the air. Just a little curious, but besides that, now I have a good idea on how to dance with this matchup.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm having trouble recovering to the stage without getting **** on. Any pointers on whats the safest way to recover?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
You have to mix it up frankly. Do not use Super Dedede Jump unless you absolutely have to for starters.

And just learn to mix up between canceling and not landing on the stage and mix up when you cancel. Its really just something you have to learn through playing competent people.

GRI3VER

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkVclaBlyP8&feature=feedu

I know his Falco is a little bit "special" but I lost so I want to ask what I could have done better in this Match/MU and where are my biggest mistakes?

Also what should I do against Olimar players? He shieldgrab everything, but don't give me my grabs to take him offstage. And if he dosn't grab me he spams Smashes so I must get away from him.

White91

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkRhys708ZU

any improvement from the last time?, i dont play this guys very often just at tournaments, he beat me the last one but it wasnt recorded. i royally up on rainbow cruise but let me know the ins and outs, also he went lucas this set so it was a change

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to be doing some frame data gathering this weekend, is there anything specific we need? I'll grab the data behind the jabs, and all his specials, we have it for everything else. Would you like me to take it all and make it into one thread?

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
What's the first frame jump -> bair comes out? From a standing position? And what's the first frame you can do something out of a turn around?

I think bair hits at frame 7 or 8 and turn around adds 2 frames? But idk.

:phone:

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
Hit me up with any questions we could possibly have, first time gathering data so no guarantees I can answer all/any of them, but I can most certainly try.

DUB

Smash Lord
Best way to have beneficial training from CPUs or playing by yourself? Anyone got any routines or things they practice when you don't have someone to play with?

allshort17

Smash Ace
Best way to have beneficial training from CPUs or playing by yourself? Anyone got any routines or things they practice when you don't have someone to play with?
Usually if I play with computer I:

1. Practice tipping all my moves
2. Just think about creative ways to get out of situations, no matter if they work on the computer or not
3. Practice DI

If I'm by myself and not playing with the computer I:

1. Work of basic commands, such as the various simple Cgs, platform canceling, turn around moves, buffering, ect
2. Look for new ways to make my character move more flunitly, like looking for ways to auto-cancel moves, buffering again, ect.
3. Analysing replays of myself
4. Figuring out the perfect spacing on my moves on a stationary target.
5. Just trying out other characters and seeing how they move.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Give up.

Seriously.

There are dumb MUs and then there's that one.

This is what secondaries are for.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm new to D3 and I watched the skid grabbing video and I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

Is there are a difference between:

Dash(release control stick)-shielgrab.

And

Dash(hold control stick after dash and break into run)-release cs and shield grab?

Can D3 cancel his jab1 into or anything, or is his jsb2 guaranteed and then can be cancelled into something else?

Does utilt have sourspot hitboxes? I don't know how to reliably KO outside of utilt.

Soz for all the questions. I was recommended D3 because I'm apparently good at spacing bairs and tilts, and have a good grab game (I like to pivot grab and dash into shieldgrabs).

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Hi Dre.

I think that's the gist of skid-canceled shield grabs, but I'm terrible at them.
Jab1 has no good followups and I'd recommend using extremely situationally. There will nearly always be a better option. Jab2 is not guaranteed after it but if you manage to land it you can grab after it a little more reliably than jab1.

Utilt has no sour hitboxes afaik.

GRI3VER

Smash Cadet
I have trouble with the ROB MU. I don't know what I have to do. Of course I have to PS his Laser and DownB, but I have problems with my Approaching Game. He runs the hole Match away. So I thought I ask here for it. I want to know everything about this MU in General and how I can fix my problem with my Approaching Game.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
These boards look more dead than the G&W boards! How come every character I play has no one on the boards...

Anyway, I am somewhat new to Dedede, and have some videos for critiquing. Any help that you could give would be really appreciated! Thanks!

vs. Ken Neth(Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWP1yPPjpd0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l8EsRjefPA

vs. Ken Neth(Peach)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ku-03t8UjE
(audio gets a little off)

vs. Wangston(Ness)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2eQE5Rz0Os

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm picked up D3 and it's made my life way easier.

Can someone explain picking up items in dash animation with the Z button? I'm still kind of confused.

Zekeishere

Smash Ace
I got one: How the **** do I play against Fox and Olimar ?
While I don't know really how to play vs fox, I know Olimar. Vs Olimar, you want to F tilt a lot. Its like our saving grace vs Grab. And generally, Olimar will give you a lot of the stage since the will be camping one side.

If that happens that's good because now they can't really run anywhere. You want to f tilt a little farther than max range so if they do try to grab they get hit.

If they do get to close to the edge try to push them off cause off stage they have pretty bad options and you can punish like anything they do.

Once you get them in the air, keep them either there or off stage with throws.

Its really easy to tech chase olimar since his get up roll is terrible and he doesn't even roll behind you.

Be prepared to read whistle off stage so either fair or wait a fraction of a second more to use Bair.

Use Nair and U tilt to kill pikmen but only save u tilt for when you have a lot of them on you at once, and when olimar is far away from you and at low percent. Also, spamming spotdodge is actually viable at keeping pikmen off you/not taking damage from them.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Who the heck is supposed to be answering all these Q's? Isn't this a Q&A thread? :/
This is a forum. Anyone can answer them.....

Read the first post. It says this thread is for video critiques. The Dedede boards apparently do not have an active video thread.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Here are my thoughts on Lucario:

If you can get around his stupid aura spheres, the match should be yours.
Chaingrab that piece of crap.
When he is off the ledge grab the ledge and make him go onstage, then punish(If a lucario has to use up-b, he should be dead, or gain a LOT of damage against Dedede)
To punish after an up-b that goes to the ledge, you can use anything from suck, fair, regrab to cg across the whole stage, etc
Also, if you don't want to punish like that you can just bair or fair his up-b as he tries to do it : ) It's really easy.
Waddles can help get rid of his aura sphere spam a bit, but not that well.

One thing I am not sure about is if we have any good grab release mindgames off of him near the ledge. Anyone else know?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I've tried GR stuff, but it never seems to work. One thing is that D3's pummel is sooooooo sloooooooow! (-_-) Lucario loves air releases, and of course, we can't do anything off of ground releases. Also, I don't know if you're familiar w/ John Numbers/John12346, but he's the Lucario that I have to practice with. U say "Chaingrab that pice of crap," but getting the grab on Lucario is kinda hard. One slip-up and I'm combo'd to the blast zone for, like, 20+ damage. Why does Lucario get such a long true combo? (T_T) Whenever I try to grab the ledge, he just fairs/nairs/uairs me off (generally resulting in a stage spike) or he aura spheres to cover the ledge and grabs it while it's protected.

However, I really appreciate the help. :) Any other tips/advice for things I can do?

Doc King

Smash Lord
bubbaking, one thing I've actually realized is that if you stand grab or pivot grab, if you time the pummels well (You can't buffer them), you can force a ground release. If you dash grab though, you can force air releases on Mario, Luigi, Pikachu, Kirby, G&W, Yoshi, Popo, Olimar, Jigglypuff, Lucas, Ness, Squirtle, and Wario. Although, you can't force a ground release if you dash grab. Dedede imo has an above average grab release game (Pretty good, but nothing extreme like Bowser, DK, Marth, and Charizard have). He mostly has grab release stuff on pretty poor ground and air release characters.

Here's all of the followups he has:

1. Ground release infinite on Ness where you dash dance into a pivot grab. It's kind of cool, although the only problem is that you can have a somewhat good chance of tripping and for only dishing out 3%'s on early percentages. I would say the best thing to do it shield chaingrab him to the edge and at like mid to high percents do the infinite for like extra damage or even enough to kill him with a throw.

2. Dashing air release chaingrab on Squirtle, which is good for positioning him off of the stage and his crappy recovery. You can even do walk offs on Squirtle like every mid and heavyweight except for Luigi.

3. All of D3's air attacks, f tilt, dash grab, up tilt, and up smash on Wario. Most ppl prefer up smash or up tilt for kills and fair or bair for damage racking (I would bair for early percents and fair for mid percents).

For the Lucario matchup, I guess you can just fly in the air and catch Lucario since he's not that fast and his projectiles aren't really fast. Send him off of the stage a lot because bair is good on Lucario and his recovery is pretty crap. Also, don't rely on d throw to up smash all of the time or kills and probably just stick to up tilt for the most part because d throw to up smash is pretty hard to perform (It's frame perfect) and it can't be done when d throw is stale. Plus, Lucario would like to fair you a lot so you're better off going with an up tilt than a grab.

I think that d tilt could be good as a grab release mindgame. It's pretty fast, disjointed ranged, and kind of strong for a tilt.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Lolz, I know D3's grab release game. By the way, you can force ground releases out of dash grabs. This is how most chars chain grab release Ness and Lucas.

Fly in the air and catch Lucario? Lolz, I guess you really don't know this char. D3 has pretty crappy air mobility. Tbh, Doc King, I'm not sure that you even play this game competitively with anyone else. You like to say a lot of things that either don't work or that every D3 already knows.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I've tried GR stuff, but it never seems to work. One thing is that D3's pummel is sooooooo sloooooooow! (-_-) Lucario loves air releases, and of course, we can't do anything off of ground releases. Also, I don't know if you're familiar w/ John Numbers/John12346, but he's the Lucario that I have to practice with. U say "Chaingrab that pice of crap," but getting the grab on Lucario is kinda hard. One slip-up and I'm combo'd to the blast zone for, like, 20+ damage. Why does Lucario get such a long true combo? (T_T) Whenever I try to grab the ledge, he just fairs/nairs/uairs me off (generally resulting in a stage spike) or he aura spheres to cover the ledge and grabs it while it's protected.

However, I really appreciate the help. :) Any other tips/advice for things I can do?
Okay, well maybe start by powershielding Lucario's attacks?

In general, Lucario's attack speed is very slow compared to other characters. (His fastest grounded move is like, jab, at frame 6 or something.

Keep in mind that his forward smash is very safe when spaced.

Might I suggest that you approach with walking/dashing shield, and when he fair's your shield, either grab/bair/uptilt out of shield depending on where he is in the air.

If you're on the ledge and you get hit, DI up, you won't get stage spiked.

If Lucario approaches, just shieldgrab everything.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Naww, Dedede is too heavy to be true combo'd. Have you tried buffering a shield?

If he crosses up with rolls a lot, pivot grab. If he rolls away, waddle dee.

Try to corner him at the edge of the stage.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I see. Ok, I'll try those things out. I already waddle dee a lot, but I guess I'll try pivot grabbing more. About combos, if they're not true, then how do I get out? He does SH fair>fair>DJ fair>fair>nair/dair and no matter how hard I DI, I can't get out. Do I have to SDI? I hope not...

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Which is fewer frames if you are not facing your opponent - turning around and grabbing, or dashing away from your opponent and immediately pivot grabbing?

I've been using the second method (if I am close enough. If I'm not I dash towards him and dash grab, which is a bad habit I think instead doing it Marth chaingrab style.)

bubbaking

Smash Hero

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
For the most part, I dthrow and then I mash the Z button. It's not the best way to do it, but it works for me. I think whenever you want to end it, you can dthrow>dtilt.

There isn't any activity on the D3 video thread, so could someon please critique these vids? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :bee:
I am not the best Dedede, but I will see if I can critique them when I have some time later today.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I watched one yesterday, but then something came up. I will watch the other today!

From the first video:

There were a couple of times when you had a lot of lag after using Dair....try to make sure that when you do dair you do a full hop dair, and make sure you have no lag afterwards. It's pretty punishable.

Try not to be predictable when you roll.

Nice gimp!

Top Bottom