• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got bopped by Sonic. What do?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I played a pretty good Sonic just today and got totally rekt. I imagine it mostly had to do with me not knowing the matchup, but I thought I would ask the people who really know what I did wrong. First I went with Marth, thinking, "I'll just keep my space and stuff his approaches." Didn't work, he got in close before I knew what was going on, and his offstage game just completely shut out my recovery. The next match I chose Tink, I figured that I would just leave bombs on the ground to stop those annoying Spin D

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
I played a pretty good Sonic just today and got totally rekt. I imagine it mostly had to do with me not knowing the matchup, but I thought I would ask the people who really know what I did wrong. First I went with Marth, thinking, "I'll just keep my space and stuff his approaches." Didn't work, he got in close before I knew what was going on, and his offstage game just completely shut out my recovery. The next match I chose Tink, I figured that I would just leave bombs on the ground to stop those annoying Spin D
Considering I don't know anyone personally in my area who plays Sonic its hard to give advice on him since I have never actually fought a Sonic. All I can say is try to memorize the differences between his Spindashes and practice spacing. I know from personal experience that Marth spacing you is really annoying, BUT as you said yourself once Sonic gets in there you are in for a world of hurt.

Missile

Smash Apprentice
You can barely stuff Sonic's approaches since most of the time his spin attack hitboxes are larger than his hurtboxes. HIs hit boxes also clank with just about everything.

Your best method of stuffing his approaches is perfectly spacing Dairs while he goes past under you with Side or Down B.

GabPR

Smash Lord
As marth, maintaining a Sonic above you gives you a good advantage over Sonic thx to your up tilt, so stages like warios or FoD help out. Sonics down b and side b can be beaten by most of marths moves, but a good Sonic wants to bait unsafe moves for punishes. A good way to space Sonic more safely in the air is to wait until you almost hit the ground, fair then quickly l cancel, then jab or up tilt if you think he is cominh in. One more thing, Sonic oos game only consists of jump nair and jump blast attack. His gtav range is the smallest in the game so you can attack a bit closer than most of the cast without fear of an oos grab. Hope it helps

The_Sir_Reginald

Smash Rookie
So, it seems you main Links/Fire emblem, I don't think you should have much of a problem with sonic once you learn about him.

I disagree with Missile, I play sonic a ton and I've noticed many many of his attacks have very low priority (but who cares because of how fast he is). What this means though is that you can challenge all of his approaches with any attack (specifically d-tilt as marth/roy, any projectile as links, and I dunno for Ike). But, if you don't feel your timing is good enough, just shield a lot. sonic's shield pressure isn't the greatest and the only thing he can do is jc grab or side b-jc grab, but those are fairly obvious approaches.

Also, a good sonic player can mix up timing a ton, with the different speeds you can launch down b with, side b, the delay from the homing attack, it's pretty hard to predict a good sonic. The main thing is, force him to approach you. What's really scary is that if marth throws out a fsmash on the right side of battlefield and sonic is on the far left, sonic can actually get all the way to you with several attacks after the hitboxes are gone for fsmash and before you can do anything. So getting baited can be very painful. But if you keep throwing projectiles as links, sonic will have to come toward you, and if you play smart as FE characters you can get sonic to be in bad position (especially with marths grab range considering you can grab sonic out of every single one of his ball attacks).

Vino.

Been Vino since 2007
Tink is tough for sonic. Since your boomerang, nair, and bomb all stuff his and out prioritize mostly all of his approaches.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Tink is tough for sonic. Since your boomerang, nair, and bomb all stuff his and out prioritize mostly all of his approaches.
Toon Link cannot deal with Sonic's pressure though. Unlike Link, Toon Link cannot find good ways to throw Sonic out of his breathing space once Sonic gets in to lay the pressure down. Just weave around those projectiles and when you get in, you'll be in there for a while.

Vino.

Been Vino since 2007
Toon Link cannot deal with Sonic's pressure though. Unlike Link, Toon Link cannot find good ways to throw Sonic out of his breathing space once Sonic gets in to lay the pressure down. Just weave around those projectiles and when you get in, you'll be in there for a while.
Very good point.^.^ I think like most match ups it depends on who plays it better.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Actually, Link is worse at dealing with pressure than Tink. Link's OoS options consist of either Spin Attack(which is only effective at higher percentages) or a SHFFL'd N-Air(which isn't that great since he has a long jumpsquat).

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
@ BigHairyFart BigHairyFart Don't worry about losing to sonic the first time. Almost EVERYBODY got overwhelmed by sonic the first or second time they played him. Sonic has a lot of tricks that if used recklessly are just gimmicks. Use safe and hard to punish moves like a sex kick neutral air or quick tilts like marth's down tilt. Once you get the timing on his spin dash you will be able to learn his other approaches and how to deal with those.

With marth you could play patient.
Sonic is a lot of fun and for most scrubs it is hard to resist going in to try and start a combo. If spin attack isn't working sonic will probably dash dance or jump in the air. Beat his dash dance by controlling middle stage and forcing him to the edge; it will put you in the best position. If he jumps challenge him, but stay below sonic.

This guy knows what he is talking about, but those tactics aren't enough to keep sonic out of your zone. don't be afraid to pressure sonic and go in for combos.

You can force a spring by comboing sonic. You can grab sonic if you predict a spring to D-air and catch him landing. If you land a grab as toon link you should be either getting a lot of damage or converting it into a kill.

P.S. Does anyone know which way marth should DI sonic's up throw?

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
You can barely stuff Sonic's approaches since most of the time his spin attack hitboxes are larger than his hurtboxes. HIs hit boxes also clank with just about everything.

Your best method of stuffing his approaches is perfectly spacing Dairs while he goes past under you with Side or Down B.
I'd really like to know if this is true, especially the part about his hurtboxes. I know that I just played a Sonic and his uptilt clanked with my Lucas' OU upsmash. As a technical Lucas who thinks Lucas is broken as hell, the more I fight Sonic the more I think Sonic is to Lucas what Lucas is to Fox in terms of brokenness (and no, not because of one clank in one match).

I was going to make my own thread, but unless someone thinks I should since this is Lucas and not Marth, I think I'll just ask here. As Lucas, what am I supposed to do? I can't react because Sonic either approaches too fast/punishes anything I throw out, can chase me anywhere, or can pressure me/bait me just by being in Sonic's attack range (which I feel like is about half a normal stage with his speed and reaction times and all). Everything I throw out just whiffs and gets punished, or is too small and gets eaten by Sonic's spins. It's like no matter what I do, Sonic hits me through whatever move I'm using/defending myself with.

I hate to be "that guy" and I hope I'm not. It's just that every explanation as to how to beat Sonic doesn't work. Things like "just abuse his low priority" and "just throw hitboxes out" do not work at all against a competent Sonic. I just want to know if there's anything I can do. I've tried holding out magnet and it only occasionally beats sonic's spindash, presumably because Sonic's spin hitboxes refresh much faster than magnet's and the Sonic just goes right through the inactive-hitbox-magnet. PK freeze comes out too slowly to be an end-all-beat-all method, and nairs/fairs usually get eaten by the spins. Also, Sonic doesn't have to commit to his spins because he can cancel them, so I can't just bait those out or something. I should also point out I'm having trouble as well in the department of "every time I have a chance to react he's on top of me already" like the OP. My only success has been avoiding sonic/shielding and upairing when he's in the air, or jumping above him when he's spinning and going in with a dair for a combo. Otherwise, pretty much nothing is viable. It's like 90% of my moves are useless because THEY'RE TOO SLOW:sonic:

But seriously, help please. :c

Last edited:
Top Bottom