• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab Cancelled Dash Attack

chibifibi

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this is new.

1) It's not a Dash Grab
2) It's not a Jump Cancel Grab

You simply dash attack, but before the actual attacking frames occur, you press Z. You still have the momentum and travel the distance you would have after completing the dash attack. But instead of doing damage you grab. It's a very long ranged grab I guess you could call it. I don't have a set name for it or anything. I guess just GCDA.

Try it with Shiek or Mario. It's extremely apparent with Shiek, but with Mario you'll also know because he'll do his little Mario cheer while grabbing instead of doing his swipe kick.

----My friend tried it and says that Jiggly Puff's GCDA still delivers Dash Attack damage as well as grabs. I'm not able to experiment with it right now. But anyway just leave comments.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Yup, I tried it with Fox and its about the distance of Link's Hookshot grab!!!

Ive never really seen this before, or heard of it from anyone else... :confused:

Smo

Smash Journeyman
Yes it's called boost grabbing and has been around a fair bit.

Unlucky. Annoying when you think you got something and then you haven't :p

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
Yeah it's really old. Do it with Kirby. He catches on fire and then grabs, it is cool.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Yeah,

it's called boost grabbing/lunge grabbing or grunt grabbing, depending on who you use.

It's boost grabbing for characters who get a boost from their dash attack (i.e. sheik)

it's grunt grabbing for characters who make a noise when they do their dash attack (i.e. mario)

___

I'm not a sheik player, or any character who would have a boost grab, so i cant say how useful it is (although i would swear i've heard sheik players say it's useful for grabbing low characters such as jiggs/kirby, etc. Done quote moe)

Grunt grabbing, however; only works on people with fast reflexes who react to sound. Specific? Yes. Useful? Not really, no.

Top Bottom