• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grab sometimes does jab by mistake?

Lunaticker

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lunaticker
3DS FC
4184-3137-6259
Titles says it all. Sometimes I'll press grab, and it'll come out with a jab instead. Does anyone have any idea what causes this?

Example: I landed on the stage, pressed grab, and it jabbed instead

If it helps, I set L to grab. Searched for the problem and found nothing.

Raijinken

Smash Master
The Grab button is actually a macro for pressing Shield and Attack together (most likely not actually simultaneously). That's why if you grab and keep holding the button, you'll enter shield, and you can shield and press A (by default) to grab from shield.

Basically, sometimes the game just doesn't realize what you're trying to do. This is probably a result of the attack command going through before, or overriding, the shield command (or simply the shield command being ignored), resulting in a jab (or nair, or dash attack) instead of a grab.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I've had it happen to me sometimes, usually as a result of trying to buffer a grab too soon. For example, Dedede has Jab - Jab 2 - Grab when spaced properly, but if I don't jab cancel or try to grab too quickly it'll lead into his rapid jab, which is easier to escape and less rewarding.

Lunaticker

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lunaticker
3DS FC
4184-3137-6259
I see, that's good to know Raikinken. Does that mean there's nothing I can do about it though? From the sounds of it, if I wanted to be 100% sure to get a grab, I could shield and then press a, but then I'd be losing frames. It sucks when it happens, lost me a match today.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm not an expert on Smash4's buffering system, but from hearsay that may have something to do with its occurrance. Possibly resolvable if you learn the buffer priority and just make sure to not accidentally override the shield input with something else.

But that's just my speculation.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
This always happens to me (3DS). I try to use double-jab to grab as Sheik, but 90% of the time I end up using my full jab combo. At high percentages, opponents can escape and punish me. I set my grab button to Y, because it is really convenient for me. However, pressing this often releases a jab instead. I have only found two ways to fix this.

I have found you can...

• Set your grab button to L or R (it works all the time for me, but I don't like using these buttons as grabs).
  • Hold shield, then press A to grab (although this is slower).
  • Dash and grab. Instead of pressing grab while not moving, try dashing toward the opponent then immediately pressing grab.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
It happens when your jab can be used faster than shielding while landing. The landing lag cancels the shield input leaving only the a which jabs.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I think mostly online
In my experience, it's due to packet loss.

Once it happens once if you just start using control stick + A it stops happening (It only seems to happen with the c-stick, and something about the terrible netcode this game has)

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Are you pressing shield first when you land on the stage? Because that is a problem I used to have. I used to press shield then press grab but it would come out as jab. You need to press A (If you are using a GC controller), and it will do a shield grab. Hope this helped!

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
This is why I have Y set to shield and B to attack. I can do Y + B pretty quickly! Not to mention X is jump so I can also short hop/air dodge pretty quickly, lthough I use the L button for pivot grabs.

Top Bottom