• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Finals Video (My Lucas)

Galeon

Smash Ace
This was filmed last Saturday at a tournament in South Florida, Seibrik and Linguini's Smash Bash. I won the tournament in the end. This was the 4th match in the grand finals, the set count being 2-1 for me going into the match. There were 44 people in attendance there. Most of the best brawlers in SFL were able to participate. Unfortunately, this was the only video that was able to be recovered. The rest of the videos got messed up with the recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO8Nc17ZIyk

I'd also like to note that I went all Lucas throughout the tourney.

Things I learned from the tourney:
*Lucas harasses Pikachu.
*Lucas gets ***** by Samus's Zair (I almost lost Winner's Finals to ESAM's Samus; this is the match I wish was able to be salvaged the most).
*Olimar's grab can get jabbed (so you can get really aggressive on him).

The tournament thread can be found here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=151687

I'd also like to thank Seibrik for those sezzy music editing skills with the vid.

Enjoy the vid and comment as you like. ^^

moshen

Smash Rookie
nice! I like the bair spike. Beautifully executed. I've been trying to get it down myself, but it's been kind of tricky for me to land right with the tip.

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Pretty good. Honestly I think the way you play in that video is a little repetitive, but good nonetheless. More dsmashes and grabs!

Galeon

Smash Ace
Pretty good. Honestly I think the way you play in that video is a little repetitive, but good nonetheless. More dsmashes and grabs!
Actually in the finals, I tried to not give him a chance to counterattack. Moves like fair, d-smash and whiffed grabs are the kind of things that would make me lose advantage very quickly. And Icekid isn't the type of person you want to gain momentum. If you look at the vid from Olimar's perspective, there isn't much time to plan a counterattack.

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Actually in the finals, I tried to not give him a chance to counterattack. Moves like fair, d-smash and whiffed grabs are the kind of things that would make me lose advantage very quickly. And Icekid isn't the type of person you want to gain momentum. If you look at the vid from Olimar's perspective, there isn't much time to plan a counterattack.
Yeah, playing it safe without those moves is always an option that some should consider. There's nothing wrong with it. Just with me, as long as I have a perfect chance to use any of the moves I mentioned, I will. My fingers would be itching to use them. :chuckle:

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Good video. Very good use of tether recovery and bair. Nair is great for killing pikmin and playing it safe. Also clearly shows how good Lucas's forward tilt really is. Good to see people using it. If I had to critique I'd say to work on your PK thunder trajectory.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Icekid is a beast...good **** man

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Nice Lucas. I noticed you don't B-stick (or at least I didn't see any indication that you do), was wondering what your opinions on it are. I'm thinking about picking up Lucas and I'm debating with myself whether its worth to to learn to B-stick, as it's extremely unnatural and I mess up way too often.

shae_hawk

Smash Rookie
Very nice, you really have the range of his tether recovery down pat and right where to hit with the bair. Olimar looks like once of those characters where PK fire isn't the most useful thing in the world, I haven't had much play time against him though.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Actually I was b-sticking in that video although I tried not to lay back and use it much. There are some matches where I choose not to b-stick though. Falco, and to a lesser extent Kirby are characters I'd rather not b-stick against.

Falco's pretty light and I'd rather not do a turn around forward-tilt/jab out of shield rather than a forward smash at a critical moment. On top of that, hanging back with pk fire against Falco isn't really the best option so I'd rather have my c-stick in this match.

It's similar with Kirby. He can mess up alot of chars and you need him to die early. This one is kind of a preference though. Since Kirby has no reasonable projectile, it's understandable to b-stick against him. I just don't.

I need it against Toon Link and Ike though. I also use it against Pit (probably weird since I don't use it against Falco, heh)

Of course, I wanna be able to b-stick against everyone but sometimes I just fail and miss an opportunity because of it. I'd reccomend b-sticking against everyone though.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Great, thanks for the info Galeon...gonna take me like a year to stop using my stick for aerials/smashes lol.

spyk90

Smash Cadet
Congrats! That was really well played.

Do you have any videos against other characters? I would like to see your different styles on those characters.

GofG

Smash Champion
Galeon, your Lucas is impressive. It seemed to me, however, that your mad rush to approach with nairs needed a bit more calculation. It worked, for the most part, but a few times he could have rather easily punished it if he hadn't been hopelessly confused for the entire match. You did manage to lay the aggression on. I'm more prone to play a very defensive, very PKF oriented Lucas than you are, but I enjoyed watching your Lucas and look forward to further videos.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Yea I know whatcha mean.

And I do wish I could show some vids of me vs different characters but unfortunately that's the only vid that got through. If I do well at this weekend's tournament however, I might be able to get a few more up. So wish me luck.

Manu

Smash Cadet
Absolutely, your Lucas made me believe that L-canceling was back in the game. And the edgehog to bair was beautiful. If you could, what are you opinions on his PsiMagnet. Is it too laggy or just character specific. In pikachu/Pit/Falco matches its a no brainer but are those really the only ones

Galeon

Smash Ace
I'm actually able to hit a Falco I play with (yes he's actually good) every now and then. It's his strongest aerial by far and seeing Lucas do something may bait an airdodge so it's very valuable if you can bait that air dodge as they're recovering. Knowing that though, because of the large di people can have while free falling, the applications are limited for that specific scenario. Some characters are alot easier to hit with under normal circumstances, though. You can jump out to mess with the space animal's recoveries since you can hold it out and wait for the sound of their movement (side-b). You can also go out to mess with a marth but in these matchups, there's almost always a better option.

The best way I could see it applied is when you jump out at someone to bait an airdodge and predict it with the magnet. That is probably their stock. Its also nice if you can force someone onto the ledge because you're edgehogging and you know they'll have lag. This applies to characters like Mario. You should have enough time to jump from the ledge, turn around and down-b but that's really tricky. (For those who didn't know, jumping from the ledge, not double jump, just tap Y or X, and instantly down-b'ing looks kind of like a waveland from the edge and can be a nice surprise for people in lag on the edge.)

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
The biggest beef I have with PKM off the edge is that your wakeup attack is invulnerable, and Psi M is not. It's **** cool looking though, you could make a whole combo video bein like BLAKAO JUMP OFF EDGE MAGNET PWN and going into dash attacks and whatever

GofG

Smash Champion
TechnoMonster, I believe he is talking about hitting people who are on the edge by dropping down to them, then using PsiM to kill them while they are on the edge. I believe this would look cool, but I can't see it actually working. All they would have to do is, well, basically anything, to avoid the PsiM.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
**** very nicely done, I play along a style that uses lots of projectiles, trying to become more even to get like that

MUNECO

Smash Rookie
Beautiful! Great Lucas video! A little repetitive, but I guess it's not an option when fighting Olimar. Your fight gave me good insight on Lucas's full potential. I'll have to practice on that.

pIlsner

Smash Rookie
Best and most interesting lucas video I've seen yet.. good work. I didn't even know you could use bair as a spike. Also you used a lot more nair than I ever have, I can see how its good against olimar.

Get some more videos up!

Powda

Smash Apprentice
GofG,
You mentioned you play a more defensive PKF lucas. May I ask how your playstyle works against say a pit player?
Not calling you out, serious question.

Thx in advance.

Galeon

Smash Ace
TechnoMonster, I believe he is talking about hitting people who are on the edge by dropping down to them, then using PsiM to kill them while they are on the edge. I believe this would look cool, but I can't see it actually working. All they would have to do is, well, basically anything, to avoid the PsiM.
Actually no, I was talking about doing the magnet on the stage from an edgehog to punish people you forced there by grabbing the ledge at the right time. Its pretty helpful at times when you wouldn't have time to get up, run past them and bat and a back throw might not kill them/send them at a good recovering angle. But as Techno pointed out, its not something you do to stop people from edgeguarding you (unless they whiff a big attack). Its more like a situational edgeguard.

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
Nice video man. I heard Icekid was the beez neez as far as Florida players go.

I find myself playing and liking Lucas more and more as time goes on.

you ever gonna be in Tampa? I'd love to play against you and get some pointers.

mith

Smash Rookie
Nice video, I use the same Lucas outfit. ;p

I played Lucas for five minutes back in early Feb and his bair spike was the #1 reason why I mained him.

Such a sexy move.

Galeon

Smash Ace
Well, good news and bad news.

The good news is I won the tournament yesterday (both singles and doubles ^^)

The bad news is, although we brought a recorder, none of the tvs had a video out option so we weren't able to tape any tourney vids. Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to them.

PCHU

Smash Lord
That's not good.
I mean the not being able to record, you play a good Lucas.
Anyway, I want to be really good with Lucas, but I only get to fight family, and friends every once and a while.
I play online a lot, but I always smoke em.
Except for a few times, but those were usually against sword users.
Plus, I don't know of any nearby tournaments.
So......Sandbag it is.

Fishcake56

Smash Cadet
Amazing!

How do you consistently shave off the end lag on Lucas's nair? I tried your approach and it's great but I can't pull it off all the time because Lucas does that handstand-lag at the end of the nair sometimes.

Top Bottom